Author Topic: Holler for the Band!!  (Read 113913 times)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: Holler for the Band!!
« Reply #875 on: June 30, 2023, 08:25:28 PM »
PLAY THE DRUM HARDER YOU SON OF A BITCH!!!

He once threatened to kick me out of band (which would give me an F, and lose my scholarship) for missing a practice to visit my mother after a surgery. A TA told me it was fine to miss and would clear it with Tracz, I had to have about an hour long meeting with him about how I let everyone down and how I would likely not amount to anything in life due to my disrespect for my peers. Pretty insane crap to tell an 18 yr old whose mother was battling cancer IMO
eff that guy and cancer

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: June 30, 2023, 09:50:47 PM »
My personal experience, which does not negate anyone else's:

Dr. Tracz is an incredibly hard working guy with high standards, and emotional immaturity. He had a quick temper and would get angry from time to time. One time to me he told me "I wish you'd stop being so goddamn lazy" after I did an assignment incorrectly in conducting class. I had done the assignment, just not in the correct way. It was my mistake, but come on, I misread one step. That being said, I never saw him cross a line to what I would consider abusive, however that's my experience and not everyone else's.

Sounds like a pretty standard interaction with him. Honestly he was way less abusive than my HS music teacher so I didn’t think it was much of an issue at the time.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: July 01, 2023, 05:02:31 PM »
Thanks for the info, POWL insiders.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: July 02, 2023, 10:18:05 PM »
I’ve heard the football-only and sports-only versions of this story before.

Many years ago, Tracz had a conversation with the then-president of K-State, Jon Wefald. Wefald highlighted the connection between the band and the university as a whole.

“He said that the football team and the marching band are the front porch of the house,” Tracz said. “If I am trying to sell the house, I’ve got to make that front lawn and that front porch have curb appeal to get people to notice it. We get them on the porch, we get them in the house, and they can tell what a great academic institution K-State is.”

https://themercury.com/features/we-are-moving-in-k-states-tracz-family-band-hall-set-to-open-this-fall/article_863ad6fb-a84a-5874-9bd4-28e7c04dc01c.html

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: July 03, 2023, 08:51:58 AM »
My high school had an incredible marching band, won all kinds of competitions, the director got tons of offers from colleges.  I think he was a demanding guy, but not a douche.  But it seems like lots of band directors are douches. 

Not that I really care all that much, but they built a special area for the K-State band, and put them in a place where the whole stadium could hear them, and at moments during the game hearing them is a good.  But he moved the band right back to where for a good portion of the stadium, the band is just some droning down below.   :dunno:

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: July 03, 2023, 08:59:05 AM »
My high school had an incredible marching band, won all kinds of competitions, the director got tons of offers from colleges.  I think he was a demanding guy, but not a douche.  But it seems like lots of band directors are douches. 

Not that I really care all that much, but they built a special area for the K-State band, and put them in a place where the whole stadium could hear them, and at moments during the game hearing them is a good.  But he moved the band right back to where for a good portion of the stadium, the band is just some droning down below.   :dunno:

Are there any quotes as to why they moved back to the stupid section?

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: July 03, 2023, 09:44:12 AM »
Waiting for @hatingfrancisco to weigh in on this

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #882 on: July 03, 2023, 10:19:36 AM »
Waiting for @hatingfrancisco to weigh in on this

Canco on whats being said but I was a lazy shithead when I was in the band so he definitely wasn't wrong. 

Tracz is ready for retirement and I think his style isn't meshing well with todays youth.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: July 03, 2023, 11:07:23 AM »

Tracz never wanted to be in that section then when student ticket sales started to really tank it made the choice to give in to Tracz and move the band back a very easy call. Before they moved the band back there were many games where section 28 was straight empty, not kind of empty but completely empty.

I don't think the band will ever go back. I'd like to see us convert that space into another premium seating area instead of the ga spillover it currently is.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: July 03, 2023, 10:24:56 PM »

Tracz never wanted to be in that section then when student ticket sales started to really tank it made the choice to give in to Tracz and move the band back a very easy call. Before they moved the band back there were many games where section 28 was straight empty, not kind of empty but completely empty.

I don't think the band will ever go back. I'd like to see us convert that space into another premium seating area instead of the ga spillover it currently is.

IMO the band belongs in the NEZ directly behind the endzone. Would be best acoustics for everyone.

Make the student section smaller by 1/2 a section to make up for the added seats from the band.

Agreed, both EZ corners should be premium seating. Find a way to retro fit some loge boxes in the NE corner and call it good. crap, I’d buy those seats if they could figure out a way to get some shade over there.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #885 on: July 18, 2023, 10:50:28 AM »

Offline PhoCat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: July 18, 2023, 05:08:40 PM »

Canco on whats being said but I was a lazy shithead when I was in the band so he definitely wasn't wrong. 

Tracz is ready for retirement and I think his style isn't meshing well with todays youth.

Do not disagree, but this is also a reminder of who a growing portion of today's youth are.
pic.twitter.com/xHfavYIkrz

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: July 18, 2023, 09:13:35 PM »
I too suffer from time blindness. Also the tyranny of the daywalkers.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: July 19, 2023, 09:52:46 AM »
I prefer the term "time-intolerant"

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: July 19, 2023, 10:10:41 AM »

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: September 19, 2023, 10:21:31 AM »

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: September 19, 2023, 11:47:16 AM »

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: September 19, 2023, 12:33:16 PM »
I'm sure MIR will comment on this too.  Am I the only one who noticed the band director was black, so of course, the socially correct Dax-loving Alabama police tased the man for back-talking when they told him to shut down his band after the game.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: September 19, 2023, 01:40:34 PM »
I mean it is insane for a cop to arrest a band director for directing his band

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: September 19, 2023, 03:49:57 PM »
It was an efenn high school game and the winning team was revealing in the win with pure enjoyment.  Only issue was the pigs didn't like them celebrating on the opponent's field.   :lol:  them... :ohno:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: September 19, 2023, 04:03:03 PM »

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: September 19, 2023, 08:41:50 PM »
spokesperson Truman Fitzgerald

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: September 20, 2023, 04:51:22 AM »
Not all skin folks are kin folk

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: September 20, 2023, 10:56:28 AM »
Do you mean to say that not all are brothers?  You know all whites love each other. LOL

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: September 23, 2023, 09:54:09 PM »
Does every other band in the country dress like this when it gets into the mid 70's???