Author Topic: Holler for the Band!!  (Read 113891 times)

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
Re: Holler for the Band!!
« Reply #925 on: November 20, 2023, 09:42:05 AM »
Is it normal for the opposing team's band to get to play on the field during halftime? First time I've ever seen that. Seemed strange. The KU fans booed our band relentlessly.

They do this for every Sunflower Showdown. For our band its the only road game the school pays for the entire band to attend. It's the same for KU.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: November 20, 2023, 09:48:45 AM »
Visiting bands used to be much more common than they are now, everywhere. OU used to take their band to every road game, they don't anymore. OSU used to go to K-State games, they've stopped. Even Texas has scaled back the amount of games they travel to.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: November 20, 2023, 10:21:00 AM »
Yeah, I've remembered even ISU brought their bank to MHK a while back, probably has become a cost no one wants to pay for anymore
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: November 20, 2023, 10:31:05 AM »
Yeah, I've remembered even ISU brought their bank to MHK a while back, probably has become a cost no one wants to pay for anymore
the aTm band used to come to MHK, IIRC. They did some cool turns with their bass drums. Haven't seen any visiting bands outside of KU for a while.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: November 20, 2023, 10:31:47 AM »
Nebraska's band played Single Ladies as their last song at BSFS before leaving the conference.  They got lots of boos from our crowd.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #930 on: November 20, 2023, 10:44:46 AM »
the aTm band used to come to MHK, IIRC. They did some cool turns with their bass drums. Haven't seen any visiting bands outside of KU for a while.

I bet aTm still sends their band everywhere. Nobody ever wants to cut defense spending.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: November 20, 2023, 12:07:06 PM »

I bet aTm still sends their band everywhere. Nobody ever wants to cut defense spending.

Maybe since they're in the SEC, but they stopped bringing their full band here even before they left the Big 12

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: November 20, 2023, 12:09:40 PM »
I used to love watching the A&M band in MHK.  Or at least I remember seeing them do halftime on The Wag' once.  Thought it was cool.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: November 20, 2023, 12:13:02 PM »
The first couple of times they came, they brought their entire marching band. I thought their band was cool because it was very different, then I realized they do the same thing over and over. Our fans gave them a standing o and I was hot about that. The fans have gotten better about watching and interacting with our band at halftime but back then, NOBODY stayed in their seats for the band, we sure did for that rough ridin' band though, then let en masse after they were done.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: November 20, 2023, 12:13:55 PM »

True story: it's free for KU to send the band to KSU. The members all carpool and smoke doobies on the trek down I-70.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: November 20, 2023, 12:17:27 PM »

True story: it's free for KU to send the band to KSU. The members all carpool and smoke doobies on the trek down I-70.

That sounds awesome
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: November 20, 2023, 12:25:16 PM »
Nebraska's band played Single Ladies as their last song at BSFS before leaving the conference.  They got lots of boos from our crowd.

that must have stung at the time. pretty lol now.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: November 20, 2023, 01:08:25 PM »
Irreplaceable would have been a more fitting song given the circumstance

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: December 28, 2023, 06:37:19 PM »
POWL killed it tonight. Hats off to those kids. Spent Christmas on a bus.