Author Topic: Holler for the Band!!  (Read 110803 times)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Holler for the Band!!
« Reply #575 on: September 10, 2015, 09:43:53 PM »
I...still don't know why we punished ourselves.  Do people honestly think tracz meant to do a blowjob thing?  If it was unintentional, then what the hell did we do wrong? 

If we're doing all of this solely because we ribbed KU by depicting them as a space monster and blew them up, that's equally absurd.  He could have more effectively moved on by keeping his damn mouth shut.

One of the silliest parts of all of this are the people commending UPKS on his policy of candor and being so accessible via social media, when he hasn't actually explained his reasoning or why he decided to self impose a penalty.  He's been a broken record saying "it's time to move on" when he's the one who restarted this dumbass news cycle on Tuesday.  A proper time to say "let's move on" would have been BEFORE he very publicly chastised the band director.

The Animal is a complete dipshit and I hate him.  I've hated him since he killed EMAW.

https://twitter.com/kstate_pres/status/642142430435786752

Did he just "BLOCK!" someone on twitter? :lol: This is just getting better and better!
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: September 10, 2015, 09:46:35 PM »
I honestly would've preferred the league do something rather than K-State.  The handful of posters here are the only ones I've seen that thought Tracz did something wrong.  And when we issued the punishment on ourselves, the decision was virtually universally criticized as absolute nonsense.  I'd much rather have that public scorn and my own anger be directed at the league stepping in and issuing this absurd punishment than our own university.

You bring up a good point about preferring the league to issue the punishment. There may have been questions about why KSU did nothing and quite honestly I wouldn't have been surprised if the punishment had been more harsh, but whatever.

However, the fact that you (and most people you gather opinions from) think NOTHING was wrong with what Tracz did (or didn't do) makes me seriously question your judgement. It blew up because it looked like what people thought it looked like. This isn't something that happens to marching bands all the time, because band directors don't let it happen. The fact that we had a story (well before the punishment, which honestly is unnoticed outside of our little world) proves Tracz screwed up.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 09:50:29 PM by michigancat »

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: September 10, 2015, 09:52:05 PM »
Just obscene. And incredibly well timed.

https://twitter.com/cnn/status/642161051392442373

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: September 10, 2015, 09:53:21 PM »
I...still don't know why we punished ourselves.  Do people honestly think tracz meant to do a blowjob thing?  If it was unintentional, then what the hell did we do wrong? 

Lack of oversight. It's his responsibility to make sure his award-winning marching band doesn't employ sexually ambiguous formations, and he failed.

I don't believe it was intentional, but he and/or the band definitely deserved to be punished in some way. Schulz "keeping his mouth shut" (ha!) would have made this blown away at all. Someone from either the University or the league was going to have to do something.
I honestly would've preferred the league do something rather than K-State.  The handful of posters here are the only ones I've seen that thought Tracz did something wrong.  And when we issued the punishment on ourselves, the decision was virtually universally criticized as absolute nonsense.  I'd much rather have that public scorn and my own anger be directed at the league stepping in and issuing this absurd punishment than our own university.

What would Wefald and Krause do?  Probably something hilarious and maybe kind of embarrassing but in a more lol way.
Wefald wouldn't have done crap besides say "listen, there was absolutely no perverse intent by our band director, and to think there was is ludicrous."  I hate being on the side of "well that's just the pussification of america," but honestly, we had no reason to imply that Tracz meant for it to look like anymore than a cheesy sci-fi battle. 

Don't forget, and this cannot be emphasized enough, this is the guy that thought EPAW was something that people would get behind.

The league did do something, the fine and suspension came with the Big 12 reprimand. It looks like Schulz and Currie either had to do this or had to tell the conference to GFY. I don't think the university wanted to turn this band thing into college footballs version of NFL vs. Brady, maybe Wefald and Krause would have, maybe Bosco would have who knows but these guys aren't going to rock the boat.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: September 10, 2015, 10:04:14 PM »

Lack of oversight. It's his responsibility to make sure his award-winning marching band doesn't employ sexually ambiguous formations, and he failed.

I don't believe it was intentional, but he and/or the band definitely deserved to be punished in some way. Schulz "keeping his mouth shut" (ha!) would have made this blown away at all. Someone from either the University or the league was going to have to do something.

What would Wefald and Krause do?  Probably something hilarious and maybe kind of embarrassing but in a more lol way.
Wefald wouldn't have done crap besides say "listen, there was absolutely no perverse intent by our band director, and to think there was is ludicrous."  I hate being on the side of "well that's just the pussification of america," but honestly, we had no reason to imply that Tracz meant for it to look like anymore than a cheesy sci-fi battle. 

Don't forget, and this cannot be emphasized enough, this is the guy that thought EPAW was something that people would get behind.

The league did do something, the fine and suspension came with the Big 12 reprimand. It looks like Schulz and Currie either had to do this or had to tell the conference to GFY. I don't think the university wanted to turn this band thing into college footballs version of NFL vs. Brady, maybe Wefald and Krause would have, maybe Bosco would have who knows but these guys aren't going to rock the boat.

This.

If Schultz/Currie do nothing or try to blow it off, this stretches on for months and gets as brutally annoying as deflategate, if not more so. From the way things have played out since, I believe even more that Schultz's plan in issuing the "punishment" he did was to simply get it over and done with. He knew they had the next phase of stadium renovations ready to be announced and by self-sanctioning we can move on to that and hopefully we don't have to hear about this again until the media starts to drum it up again before the KU game.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: September 10, 2015, 10:14:21 PM »
We didn't have to make it NFL v. Brady. 

We could have accepted any punishment by the league and maintained that there was no obscene intent and emphasized that any phallic depiction was purely coincidental, which anyone with a modicum of common sense would agree.  The narrative would've been "ha ha ha, it looks like a dick, but good grief, Big 12, give the guy a break, he obviously wouldn't have meant to do that." 

Instead, K-State threw Tracz under the bus and insulted the man who has worked for the university for two decades by making him run halftime shows by some dumbass SGA committee.  And this is all especially rich coming from Schulz, who takes every opportunity to poke fun at KU on his very own twitter account.

Not to mention, all Schulz and Currie do is rock the boat.  They did it with EMAW, they did it with Jamar, they did it with Leti.  If they weren't so concerned with doing everything they could to ensure that K-State took the high road at every juncture, K-State wouldn't look like dumbasses as often as we do.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: September 10, 2015, 10:21:01 PM »
Tracz isn't an innocent child getting "thrown under the bus" or "insulted". He had a serious goof and was reprimanded with a slap on the wrist.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: September 10, 2015, 10:26:24 PM »
Tracz isn't an innocent child getting "thrown under the bus" or "insulted". He had a serious goof and was reprimanded with a slap on the wrist.
He made an honest mistake and his employer of 20 years publicly shamed him and, moving forward, is publicly subjecting him to a group of SGA dorks giving him their expert stamp of marching band approval.  He deserves better. 

I doubt when Frank Martin was screaming eff at the top of his lungs loud enough for the entire arena to hear you called it "a serious goof" on Martin's part worthy of a similar reaction by Schulz and Currie.  I'm sure a mandate that a student ethics committee sit in on all of Frank's practices would've gone over well.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: September 10, 2015, 10:35:37 PM »

He made an honest mistake and his employer of 20 years publicly shamed him and, moving forward, is publicly subjecting him to a group of SGA dorks giving him their expert stamp of marching band approval.  He deserves better. 

Despite your excessively dramatic tone, it's a slap on the wrist. Plus he could have used an extra set of eyes for this last one.

I doubt when Frank Martin was screaming eff loud enough for the entire arena to hear you would called it "a serious goof" worthy of a similar reaction by Schulz and Currie.

Coaches yell "eff" all the time, so it's a poor analogy. Something like the Merriewether slapping incident probably deserved a suspension, though. (Frank also knew he mumped up and apologized immediately).

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: September 10, 2015, 10:45:27 PM »
I know it may not sound like a big deal to you, but calling this a slap on the wrist implies that this is not a relatively harsh penalty for band directors.  Sure, he didn't get fired, but he did get suspended, in addition to the other bizarre punishments that have already been discussed.

Like I said, we disagree on this.  I think this is another chapter in a voluminous series of Schulz and Currie looking like complete boobs.  You think their response was appropriate.  I'll admit that I may be more pissed about this than I otherwise would be due to Currie and Schulz doing dumb crap on a seasonal basis.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: September 10, 2015, 10:48:37 PM »
It's definitely a slap on the wrist, and if Tracz can't handle this "punishment" he's got an extremely thin skin for someone who has worked on a college campus as long as he has.

And everyone that has actually interacted with him keeps saying he's a great guy who does so much for the band members. If that's really the case then he really should have no problem with these sanctions as the band itself receives basically no punishment and they almost assuredly would have if the Big 12 would have actually issued the sanctions.

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: September 10, 2015, 10:51:58 PM »
I had just forgot about EPAW!!!  :shakesfist:
They said it during the game in some ad for some vet... every pet a wildcat.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: September 10, 2015, 10:53:06 PM »
I know it may not sound like a big deal to you, but calling this a slap on the wrist implies that this is not a relatively harsh penalty for band directors.

It was a relatively unprecedented screw-up, was it not? I mean, for band screw-ups, this must have been as it gets, no? (*hazing excluded)

And as Joda alluded to, I don't think he's ever intended to do anything wrong, and nothing he will or would have planned to do will be censored by this "committee of SGA dorks"

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: September 10, 2015, 10:55:07 PM »
Here's something fun to do that I just stumbled upon.  If you're walking around a far-from-kansas city and see a tourist wearing a ku hat w/the jayhawk on it, pretend to be oblivious to KSU/sports entirely and point at the jayhawk and say to them "hey, the blowjob bird from that football game!"

man oh man if i ever get the opportunity...

"oh wow. isn't that the bird from that dick sucking video i saw on facebook last year. haha oh man can i get a picture with you and that shirt?"

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: September 10, 2015, 11:00:49 PM »
He has some gall to think he's above any proofreading whatsoever. Or he just doesn't get the point of the review, which wouldn't be surprising given his track record of not getting things.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: September 10, 2015, 11:07:06 PM »
Here's something fun to do that I just stumbled upon.  If you're walking around a far-from-kansas city and see a tourist wearing a ku hat w/the jayhawk on it, pretend to be oblivious to KSU/sports entirely and point at the jayhawk and say to them "hey, the blowjob bird from that football game!"

man oh man if i ever get the opportunity...

"oh wow. isn't that the bird from that dick sucking video i saw on facebook last year. haha oh man can i get a picture with you and that shirt?"
:lol:

I know it may not sound like a big deal to you, but calling this a slap on the wrist implies that this is not a relatively harsh penalty for band directors.

It was a relatively unprecedented screw-up, was it not? I mean, for band screw-ups, this must have been as it gets, no? (*hazing excluded)
I doubt it's unprecedented for some people to think that a band's formation looks like something other than the band director intended.  It's unfortunate, but completely coincidental, that this one appeared to some to look like a boner. 

But I think you're right that punishing a band director for an honest mistake is relatively unprecedented.  I'm certainly no expert on what is or isn't a harsh punishment when it comes to punishing band directors. 

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: September 10, 2015, 11:07:31 PM »
the thing is that you just know there is going to be some kind of overeager dogooder with too much time on their hands thinking that it's their job to actually review what he's doing. like somebody is going to be like "ok, ok. now dr tracz, can you walk me through exactly what's happening in the 2 minute twelve second mark. it looks like you have the tubas walking a line through the flutes. what if, now bear with me here, but what if we had the flutes walk through the tubas instead?"

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: September 10, 2015, 11:09:46 PM »

I doubt it's unprecedented for some people to think that a band's formation looks like something other than the band director intended.  It's unfortunate, but completely coincidental, that this one appeared to some to look like a boner. 

Yeah but I mean this one REALLY LOOKED LIKE A BONER HEADING TOWARD A MOUTH. It ended up on Fallon, for goodness sake!

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: September 10, 2015, 11:11:55 PM »

Yeah but I mean this one REALLY LOOKED LIKE A BONER HEADING TOWARD A MOUTH. It ended up on Fallon, for goodness sake!
I still don't think it looked all that much like a boner. :zip:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: September 10, 2015, 11:13:13 PM »
the thing is that you just know there is going to be some kind of overeager dogooder with too much time on their hands thinking that it's their job to actually review what he's doing. like somebody is going to be like "ok, ok. now dr tracz, can you walk me through exactly what's happening in the 2 minute twelve second mark. it looks like you have the tubas walking a line through the flutes. what if, now bear with me here, but what if we had the flutes walk through the tubas instead?"
I am hoping that for every show they act like they are going to do something intentionally lewd and change into something innocent at the last minute. So the crowd could be like "uh oh. What are they doing. Oh no. No! omg! *Phew* it's just a teddy bear"

If there's anyway to incorporate the "inappropriate use of a member" line into every routine, that would be great.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: September 10, 2015, 11:15:53 PM »
Like, if nobody ever told me "hey doesn't that kind of look like a boner going into the jayhawk's mouth?" i bet i could've watched it 1000 more times and thought nothing more than i did when i watched it live, which was "wow...decided a star trek halftime show would be a real crowd pleaser, huh? "

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: September 10, 2015, 11:16:06 PM »

I still don't think it looked all that much like a boner. :zip:

Yeah, but it kind of looked like one and it was definitely rising/heading for a jayhawk mouth that was definitely opening for it and apparently in today's PC culture where everyone takes things too seriously that's enough to make it onto a comedy show.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: September 10, 2015, 11:16:50 PM »
i've tried to practice that jayhawk dicksucking facebook line a few times now in my head and i can't do it without having to suppress a laugh and really big smile. not sure i'll be able to pull it off. also if the shoe was on the other foot vis a vis rusty/tracz and  michigancat was the guy who had spent twenty years at an institution perfecting his craft and working his ass off and had just won a national award and then had something minor blow up like this he would have a much, much different opinion on what went down. so that is where his logic his faulty.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 11:35:02 PM by Rick RowdyBoyy Daris »

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: September 10, 2015, 11:24:13 PM »
The guy def won't take a picture with you, based on the small sample size I've seen.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: September 10, 2015, 11:31:19 PM »
The guy def won't take a picture with you, based on the small sample size I've seen.
if he doesn't, insist that he watch as you pull it up on your phone.