Author Topic: 2014-15 college basketball  (Read 136902 times)

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
Re: 2014-15 college basketball
« Reply #775 on: March 17, 2015, 10:54:16 PM »
62 points in the 2nd half.
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: March 17, 2015, 11:00:04 PM »
Might have to change my Xavier pick.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: March 17, 2015, 11:00:22 PM »
Might have to change my Xavier pick.
To Olé Miss

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: March 17, 2015, 11:00:26 PM »
80 possessions!

The Big Train

« Reply #779 on: March 17, 2015, 11:05:17 PM »
pretty great 2nd half(didn't watch the 1st)

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #780 on: March 18, 2015, 12:13:22 AM »
pretty great 2nd half(didn't watch the 1st)

Yes, second half was a good watch. Pretty exciting in the last few minutes. These First Four games can be pretty good.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #781 on: March 18, 2015, 12:16:12 AM »
so, Day 1 of the 30-second shot clock experiment is in the books, and i suspect all the wrong conclusions will be drawn. kenpom wrote a post today where he noted that almost every NIT, CBI and CIT over/under was bet up by close to 10 points, on average. while this is true, it's largely irrelevant, because...

a) NIT, CBI, and CIT totals get bet over immediately at open every year (typically by an average of 3 pts, almost regardless of number). teams don't take these mostly pointless tourneys as seriously as they do league play, so tempo naturally speeds up, and games are more free flowing.

b) the opening #'s were terrible. CRIS used full-season KP projected totals with very slight adjustments, and apparently didn't realize that his projections presumed a 35-second clock rather than a 30-second clock. so, while i'll concede that the betting market assumed more possessions (and consequently more points), the line moves will be far less pronounced tomorrow...when the opening lines won't be as terrible.

overs went just 8-7 on the day against the closing line. the illinois game and jmu game went over very late and easily could have gone under. so, i wouldn't say anything super out of the ordinary occurred.

the miami-nc central game had a 52 tempo at halftime and finished 58 for the game (less than projected). the bowling green-st francis game had a 57 tempo at halftime and finished 61 for the game (below projected). Pitt-GW finished 64 (but was closer to 60 at halftime) and wasn't much above projected pace.

other tempos:

montana-a&m 64 (at projected)
JMU-Upstate 61 (slower than projected)
Norfolk-EKU 64 (slower than projected)
Lafayette-Incarnate Word 70 (slower than projected)
Oakland-Eastern Illinois 81 (far faster than projected)
Murray St-UTEP 70 (faster than projected, but tons of fouls)
Illinois-Alabama 63 (slower than projected)
Tulsa-W&M 63 (slower than projected)
Iona-Rhode Island 80 (far faster than projected, but 65 FT's inflated it)
La Tech-CMU 76 (faster than projected)

games involving slow vs slow teams exclusively finished 64 tempo or lower. the average tempo of all games played was 67.3, which is probably a decently fair estimate considering there was a good mix of fast, average and slow paced teams. obviously, the sample is still too small, but the tempo compares similarly to the 66.5 average tempo we saw in non-con play.

if i were to guess, the shot clock change won't have a dramatic effect on scoring. i still think you'll see teams grind out games in league play, and i still think efficiency is going to become more of a problem (i.e., defenses will have more motivation to force long possessions, and offenses will be forced to take rushed shots more frequently). jim larranaga mentioned earlier today that he thinks teams would use more 3/4 court pressure to slow down opposing offenses, as well as more zone, including varying looks designed to confuse.

anybody else have any observations?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: March 18, 2015, 10:36:47 AM »
I was interested in the pace, but I'd be even more interested in efficiency. It's still a really small sample at this point, the numbers from all the games when it's done will be interesting.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: March 18, 2015, 11:08:48 AM »

:thumbs: I covered a few of Sun Rise Academy's games back in the day. They've always got crazy players you've never heard of cause they're not in a league.

Yeah, they don't really count as a Kansas High School. They are a prep school in Kansas. It's too bad we couldn't land Clark.

Sunrise has produced several good D1 players lately. Nairn at Mich St and Olesani at Iowa also come to mind. A large number of them are foreign students.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: March 18, 2015, 11:13:57 AM »
Yeah, I meant not a KSHSAA school. Lots of good players coming from Sunrise.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #785 on: March 18, 2015, 12:08:54 PM »
I was interested in the pace, but I'd be even more interested in efficiency. It's still a really small sample at this point, the numbers from all the games when it's done will be interesting.

i'm skeptical of how much we'll learn from the efficiency simply because few teams are putting a premium on defense in these pointless tourneys, and because the scouting and familiarity of opponent is unlikely to resemble anything close to what you see during league play.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: March 18, 2015, 12:11:49 PM »
I don't think we'll learn anything about anything from this experiment

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #787 on: March 18, 2015, 12:15:42 PM »

:thumbs: I covered a few of Sun Rise Academy's games back in the day. They've always got crazy players you've never heard of cause they're not in a league.

Yeah, they don't really count as a Kansas High School. They are a prep school in Kansas. It's too bad we couldn't land Clark.

Sunrise has produced several good D1 players lately. Nairn at Mich St and Olesani at Iowa also come to mind. A large number of them are foreign students.

Buddy Hield
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: March 18, 2015, 12:17:27 PM »
I don't think we'll learn anything about anything from this experiment

Agreed. Though POTUS Barack Obama did say that he was in favor of a shot clock reduction at least down to 30 seconds if not more during his annual bracket reveal. So while the data won't support any conclusion, people have already made up their minds how they'll skew the data to mean what they want.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: March 18, 2015, 12:23:01 PM »

Buddy Hield
Thanks, Luke_dick!

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: March 18, 2015, 01:17:46 PM »

Buddy Hield

Bahamas

The Big Train

« Reply #791 on: March 18, 2015, 08:47:12 PM »
i think robert morris has a good shot of winning 2 games in tourney this year

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: March 18, 2015, 08:50:31 PM »

Buddy Hield

Bahamas

yes but he went to sunrise academy

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: March 18, 2015, 08:53:29 PM »
i think robert morris has a good shot of winning 2 games in tourney this year
Both play in games with the 16s were very entertaining, but horrible basketball.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: March 18, 2015, 09:10:57 PM »

Buddy Hield

Bahamas

yes but he went to sunrise academy
But a foreigner

The Big Train

« Reply #795 on: March 18, 2015, 10:31:57 PM »
what a  :ohno: game!

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: March 18, 2015, 11:46:11 PM »
Pretty good First Four. Now, bring on the show.   :excited:

Online Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: March 19, 2015, 02:05:02 AM »
Let's break the record for most OT games in a tournament this year guys, whaddaya say!?!?!

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: March 19, 2015, 07:22:57 AM »
Let's break the record for most OT games in a tournament this year guys, whaddaya say!?!?!

Would take.

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: March 19, 2015, 10:40:28 AM »

What's the current record?

(you brought it up, so you should provide the stat. . .I'm busy working and whatnot)  ;)