Author Topic: Nebraska's struggle for relevance.  (Read 299556 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: Nebraska's struggle for relevance.
« Reply #1850 on: November 12, 2021, 12:33:45 AM »

Offline thunderbowlt

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: November 12, 2021, 12:35:28 PM »
I watched that game and I'm in California.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: November 12, 2021, 02:49:19 PM »
imagine sucking as hard as scott frost and still making $4m a year

https://twitter.com/HuskerExtraPG/status/1459200713641406467

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: November 15, 2021, 08:39:25 AM »
KSU OG Big 12 "Peers"

Man, Tech really had a chance to separate themselves with the Kingsbury hire. Too bad for them it didn't work out.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: November 15, 2021, 08:52:11 AM »
imagine sucking as hard as scott frost and still making $4m a year

https://twitter.com/HuskerExtraPG/status/1459200713641406467

It's the new american dream honestly, suck balls but get paid, it's the new goal, seriously
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: November 15, 2021, 09:09:16 AM »
I bet the "mutually agreed" goal is making it to a bowl game for the first time in 6 years.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: November 15, 2021, 09:49:41 AM »
Scott has to be relieved that Nebraska doesn't have any rivals anymore, not a single must win game, just cobble together 5-6 wins wherever he can.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: November 15, 2021, 09:56:39 AM »
Nebraska is a truly special place to be a coach. If Frost were anywhere else with expectations as low as they are there, the school wouldn't be able to afford more than $1 million per year.

Online WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: November 15, 2021, 09:59:51 AM »
I bet the "mutually agreed" goal is making it to a bowl game for the first time in 6 years.

This continues to blow my mind.  Nebraska once a powerhouse has not made a bowl game in 6 years.  The curse of firing decent coaches and leaving Big 12.   
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: November 15, 2021, 10:54:58 AM »

This continues to blow my mind.  Nebraska once a powerhouse has not made a bowl game in 6 years.  The curse of firing decent coaches and leaving Big 12.   

I don’t think it has anything to do with conference affiliation, people thought they would get hung out to dry recruiting without games in Texas and that never materialized.  They have just run themselves into the ground with firing coaches and it has been amazing to watch.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1860 on: November 15, 2021, 10:59:26 AM »
They were good for a long time because they went for broke and did the shadiest crap anyone could do to win. Figuring out how to win without it hasn’t happened for them yet.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: November 15, 2021, 11:48:29 AM »
They were good for a long time because they went for broke and did the shadiest crap anyone could do to win. Figuring out how to win without it hasn’t happened for them yet.

Yup, really the entire system they built they systematically destroyed it, stopping the shady crap, running off coaches, and their jump to the big 10 basically made them irrelevant despite still being the only real D1 school in their entire state.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: November 15, 2021, 12:37:55 PM »

Yup, really the entire system they built they systematically destroyed it, stopping the shady crap, running off coaches, and their jump to the big 10 basically made them irrelevant despite still being the only real D1 school in their entire state.

How do you explain being “irrelevant” when they routinely land top 20 recruiting classes? Kids still very much want to go to Nebraska.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: November 15, 2021, 01:10:19 PM »
Before scholarship limits they would have like 250 players on the sidelines just to keep them from ending up at another big8 school.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: November 15, 2021, 03:37:19 PM »
Guys, I may have some insidery info that Nebraska is broke as crap

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: November 15, 2021, 03:50:09 PM »

AD or school in general?

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: November 15, 2021, 08:45:00 PM »
Have they even started getting full BIG10 TV payouts yet?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: November 21, 2021, 07:27:43 PM »
LOOK AT THIS SPREAD

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: November 21, 2021, 07:30:46 PM »
What da hell?  :confused:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: November 22, 2021, 02:55:57 PM »
LOOK AT THIS SPREAD

https://www.lbvfh.com/obituary/Milton-MunsonJr

One hell of an Obit

Obituary
Former Hastings resident Milton Andrew Munson Jr., 73, passed away Tuesday, November 16, in Grand Island, NE.

Memorial Services will be 1 p.m. Wednesday, November 24, at Livingston Butler Volland Funeral Home in Hastings with Pastor Joel Remmers officiating. Burial with Hastings Military Honor Guard will be at Parkview Cemetery in Hastings. In lieu of flowers, please place an irresponsibly large wager on Nebraska beating Iowa.

The grim reality of the Nebraska Cornhuskers finishing yet another season with a losing record proved to be too much to bear for Milton Andrew Munson, who decided he’d seen enough of this world during the team’s recent bye week. The Huskers may not have sent him into the afterlife with a victory but at least they didn’t lose. And sometimes, that’s the best you can hope for.

Milt, as he was known to friends, family, and scorned rivals, was born to Minnie and Milton Andrew Munson Sr. in Hastings, Nebraska on October 29, 1948. Following his graduation from Hastings High, he enlisted in the United States Air Force and was stationed at Hickham Air Force Base in Honolulu, Hawaii during the Vietnam War.

Upon discharge, Milt returned to Nebraska and enrolled at Kearney State College where he earned a bachelor’s degree and was accepted into the Creighton University School of Pharmacy and Health Professions and graduated with a doctor of pharmacy.

In 1979, he, his wife, and young son moved from Omaha to Grand Island where he began his career as a pharmacist at K-Mart on South Locust. His second son would be born one month to the day of 1980’s infamous Night of the Twisters.

Around the time the Huskers were jobbed by the refs against Penn State in 1982, the effects of bipolar disorder and addiction began to take hold on Milt and would profoundly affect him for the rest of his life.

During periods where he was able to keep his illness under control, he greatly enjoyed weekend visits with his sons - taking them to their first Husker games, catching trophy-sized bluegill at secret fishing spots, teaching them how to play the ponies at Fonner Park, exploring the Nebraska countryside in search of bars that would allow children, or spending a quiet evening at home discussing the finer points of Dirty Harry films over a Sax’s Pizza.

Milt lived in several cities throughout his life including Las Vegas, Nevada, Columbia, Missouri, Hot Springs, South Dakota, and Kalispell, Montana to name a few but he would always come home to Nebraska.

He is survived by loving sisters Arvelyn Loudon of Hastings and Peggy Feik of Grand Island, two sons-Todd, a writer who lives in Los Angeles, California and Troy, a neurosurgeon who lives in Des Moines, Iowa, and grandchildren Madduz, Gracelyn, and Vivienne of Des Moines, Iowa. Despite the ways his illness affected his relationships with his children, he inspired them to follow their passions and strive to be good people in that roundabout way Johnny Cash would write a song about.

He was preceded in death by his parents, sister Karen Wattula, and brother Dale Anderson

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: November 22, 2021, 02:58:38 PM »

How is it possible that a BIG school is broke? The conference prints money.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: November 22, 2021, 03:48:08 PM »
LOOK AT THIS SPREAD

https://www.lbvfh.com/obituary/Milton-MunsonJr

One hell of an Obit

Obituary
Former Hastings resident Milton Andrew Munson Jr., 73, passed away Tuesday, November 16, in Grand Island, NE.

Memorial Services will be 1 p.m. Wednesday, November 24, at Livingston Butler Volland Funeral Home in Hastings with Pastor Joel Remmers officiating. Burial with Hastings Military Honor Guard will be at Parkview Cemetery in Hastings. In lieu of flowers, please place an irresponsibly large wager on Nebraska beating Iowa.

The grim reality of the Nebraska Cornhuskers finishing yet another season with a losing record proved to be too much to bear for Milton Andrew Munson, who decided he’d seen enough of this world during the team’s recent bye week. The Huskers may not have sent him into the afterlife with a victory but at least they didn’t lose. And sometimes, that’s the best you can hope for.

Milt, as he was known to friends, family, and scorned rivals, was born to Minnie and Milton Andrew Munson Sr. in Hastings, Nebraska on October 29, 1948. Following his graduation from Hastings High, he enlisted in the United States Air Force and was stationed at Hickham Air Force Base in Honolulu, Hawaii during the Vietnam War.

Upon discharge, Milt returned to Nebraska and enrolled at Kearney State College where he earned a bachelor’s degree and was accepted into the Creighton University School of Pharmacy and Health Professions and graduated with a doctor of pharmacy.

In 1979, he, his wife, and young son moved from Omaha to Grand Island where he began his career as a pharmacist at K-Mart on South Locust. His second son would be born one month to the day of 1980’s infamous Night of the Twisters.

Around the time the Huskers were jobbed by the refs against Penn State in 1982, the effects of bipolar disorder and addiction began to take hold on Milt and would profoundly affect him for the rest of his life.

During periods where he was able to keep his illness under control, he greatly enjoyed weekend visits with his sons - taking them to their first Husker games, catching trophy-sized bluegill at secret fishing spots, teaching them how to play the ponies at Fonner Park, exploring the Nebraska countryside in search of bars that would allow children, or spending a quiet evening at home discussing the finer points of Dirty Harry films over a Sax’s Pizza.

Milt lived in several cities throughout his life including Las Vegas, Nevada, Columbia, Missouri, Hot Springs, South Dakota, and Kalispell, Montana to name a few but he would always come home to Nebraska.

He is survived by loving sisters Arvelyn Loudon of Hastings and Peggy Feik of Grand Island, two sons-Todd, a writer who lives in Los Angeles, California and Troy, a neurosurgeon who lives in Des Moines, Iowa, and grandchildren Madduz, Gracelyn, and Vivienne of Des Moines, Iowa. Despite the ways his illness affected his relationships with his children, he inspired them to follow their passions and strive to be good people in that roundabout way Johnny Cash would write a song about.

He was preceded in death by his parents, sister Karen Wattula, and brother Dale Anderson
Wow. Also, Madduz needs to be crossposted to the WPNWPS thread.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: November 26, 2021, 02:26:59 PM »
every man a husker today.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: November 26, 2021, 02:29:19 PM »
every man a husker today.

Absolutely not.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: November 26, 2021, 02:30:27 PM »
Nebraska losing this game can't really make their season worse. So, I don't care if they win.

Though, I would be interested in a Nebraska stupidly choking the game away at the end scenario.