Author Topic: Nebraska's struggle for relevance.  (Read 299707 times)

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
Re: Nebraska's struggle for relevance.
« Reply #1825 on: November 11, 2021, 12:47:16 PM »
i am irl proud of our commitment to mediocrity. it gives us a chance to have a 2012 every once in a while!
and if you are a coach you only get two losing seasons and then we can your ass (2004/2005, 2007/2008, 2015/2018). it's very reasonable imo.

Look at Okie State!

I'd take OSU's program over ours over the last 10 years. Both have a conference championship, but they've had more overall wins and been ranked higher and more often than us.

K-State & Oklahoma State, given the scope of college football, are the exact same program. We're a 7-8 win program, they are an 8-9 win program that absolutely cannot beat their most hated rival. They have fans that are just as frustrated and jaded about their program as you are. They have a 6 game losing streak to OU. We're beaten OU 4 times in 10 years. They've beaten them 4 times in 20.

Gundy has absolutely been solid, but nothing to the point where we should be aspiring to be like them.

I in general agree with that, we're basically the same. Their lack of success vs OU is quite amazing too. I do applaud Gundy though, maybe aspiring isn't the right word we should have for Okie State but to have year in and year out significant success is something to hold onto. I do think they are a step ahead since our main rival ku is hot garbage and their main rival OU is anything but, so their 8-9 wins comes with a clipped ceiling and our has an inflated floor. But it's a marginal difference at best.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: November 11, 2021, 12:48:26 PM »
i agree we are virtually the same program. one thing that might give OSU the edge is Gundy is very good at winning bowl games (10-5)

2011 OSU and 2012 KSU are spiderman meme

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: November 11, 2021, 12:49:23 PM »
i agree we are virtually the same program. OSU has been noticeably better the last decade, KSU was noticeably better the previous decade. one thing that might give OSU the edge is Gundy is very good at winning bowl games (10-5)

never forget that bowl games are meaningless exhibitions

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: November 11, 2021, 12:51:12 PM »
i am irl proud of our commitment to mediocrity. it gives us a chance to have a 2012 every once in a while!
and if you are a coach you only get two losing seasons and then we can your ass (2004/2005, 2007/2008, 2015/2018). it's very reasonable imo.

Look at Okie State!

I'd take OSU's program over ours over the last 10 years. Both have a conference championship, but they've had more overall wins and been ranked higher and more often than us.

K-State & Oklahoma State, given the scope of college football, are the exact same program. We're a 7-8 win program, they are an 8-9 win program that absolutely cannot beat their most hated rival. They have fans that are just as frustrated and jaded about their program as you are. They have a 6 game losing streak to OU. We're beaten OU 4 times in 10 years. They've beaten them 4 times in 20.

Gundy has absolutely been solid, but nothing to the point where we should be aspiring to be like them.

Your number are somewhat accurate. But they've averaged over 9 wins a year for damn near 15 years. Getting 10+ wins 6 times (possibly another this year).

We've averaged a little over 7 wins per year in the same span, just 4 seasons w/ 9 or more wins.

They're a 2 win per season better program for the lifetime of kids we're recruiting.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: November 11, 2021, 01:05:09 PM »
i agree we are virtually the same program. OSU has been noticeably better the last decade, KSU was noticeably better the previous decade. one thing that might give OSU the edge is Gundy is very good at winning bowl games (10-5)

Winning them makes your record look better, though

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1830 on: November 11, 2021, 01:11:04 PM »

Winning them makes your record look better, though

Haha we suck at that.
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: November 11, 2021, 01:32:05 PM »

They're a 2 win per season better program for the lifetime of kids we're recruiting.

This. All this. I don't think anyone else has necessarily been wrong in this conversation, and we've obviously had more success over the whole span of the Big XII than they have, but that's slowly changing. I also think that as long as Gundy is at the helm there, they'll stay where we need to be, which is a consistent 10 win program.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: November 11, 2021, 01:43:28 PM »

Look at Okie State!

Yeah, and I think most people nationally view OSU as slightly above K-State... and usually have them in a tier above K-State in those silly college football tier graphics they put out.

I’d love to see the win/loss chart with KSU/OSU/Tech/baylor(?). Would be interesting to see how we measure up to what should be conference peers

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: November 11, 2021, 01:51:04 PM »
Baylor being good annoys me.  They were a doormat and Briles turned them into a monster.  Then Rhule resurrects that program almost immediately.  Now Aranda has them rolling pretty well yet again.

It feels like every B12 program should have a huge edge on them every few years and Baylor closes it and passes almost all of them.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: November 11, 2021, 02:13:17 PM »
Baylor being good annoys me.  They were a doormat and Briles turned them into a monster.  Then Rhule resurrects that program almost immediately.  Now Aranda has them rolling pretty well yet again.

It feels like every B12 program should have a huge edge on them every few years and Baylor closes it and passes almost all of them.

I don't think people give Baylor enough credit for how good their hires have been.

The Aranda hire was really damn good. I would say it's similar to if we were to hire BV.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #1835 on: November 11, 2021, 02:38:48 PM »
KSU OG Big 12 "Peers"

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #1836 on: November 11, 2021, 02:48:54 PM »
Since 2011:

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: November 11, 2021, 02:49:06 PM »
Chingon out here doing the Lord's work.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: November 11, 2021, 03:01:30 PM »

I don't think people give Baylor enough credit for how good their hires have been.

The Aranda hire was really damn good. I would say it's similar to if we were to hire BV.

Yeah, but I think the problem that people have is that program has basically gone unpunished for the abhorrent crimes that it continually commits. They never belonged in the Big XII when it was formed, but used the legislature to weasel their way in, then had murder, rape, steroids, impermissible benefits, violated recruiting rules, and on and on and on. Now this little dot on a muddy river that's half the size of the next biggest university when the conference was formed in 1996 gets to act like it's a normal person with a seat at the table. Now, none of that may mean much to an 18 year old choosing schools today, but there are plenty that still remember how it should have been.

Getting rid of Baylor was the one thing that would have been a huge positive for all the other schools had the Big XII collapsed back when OU and UT announced their departure.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: November 11, 2021, 03:31:35 PM »
i really want to beat baylor this year (even more than normal)

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: November 11, 2021, 04:15:19 PM »
i really want to beat baylor this year (even more than normal)

Should be good and demoralized coming off a 2 game skid.  Disappointed it’s a 4:30 kick tho, but I guess still basically a night game.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: November 11, 2021, 04:19:36 PM »
KSU OG Big 12 "Peers"

what a stud, thanks!

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: November 11, 2021, 04:37:01 PM »

This. All this. I don't think anyone else has necessarily been wrong in this conversation, and we've obviously had more success over the whole span of the Big XII than they have, but that's slowly changing. I also think that as long as Gundy is at the helm there, they'll stay where we need to be, which is a consistent 10 win program.

Those two wins a year means very little nationally and regionally as far as perception goes. They mean nothing when it comes to recruiting. The only two programs in the conference that recruit differently based on W's and L' s are OU and Kansas.

Expecting a consistent 10 win program is an absolute impossibility and a ridiculous standard for all but like 5 programs. Wanting 10 wins every few years or so is fair.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: November 11, 2021, 04:41:49 PM »
KSU OG Big 12 "Peers"

a few of my takeaways:

Early Snyder was an absolute boss

Kingsbury is the definition of failing up, how tf did he land an NFL job after that run at Tech?

Gundy probably the most impressive of all the coaches here, long tenure + consistent positive results

Matt Campbell not as impressive as everyone seems to believe, he's stopped the freefall but hasn't made up much ground

Early Briles was really not good, must have blocked that out of my memory b/c I have no recollection of that.

I'd love to see Klieman/KSU go on a '09-'14 OSU run over the next 5 years. Would set KSU up as a top team in the nuB12

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: November 11, 2021, 04:55:25 PM »
Briles took over a Baylor program every bit as bad as KU is now. They really lucked out with divisional play.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1845 on: November 11, 2021, 05:18:06 PM »
KSU OG Big 12 "Peers"

Great stuff chings! In the back of my head I always remembered that Baylor used to be complete trash but this chart really helps you visualize how inept they were until Briles got there. Their 10 year run from 1995 to 2005 was nearly as bad as KU's last 10 years.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: November 11, 2021, 05:43:28 PM »
KSU OG Big 12 "Peers"

Great stuff chings! In the back of my head I always remembered that Baylor used to be complete trash but this chart really helps you visualize how inept they were until Briles got there. Their 10 year run from 1995 to 2005 was nearly as bad as KU's last 10 years.

I remember traveling to Baylor with some buds in 06 or 07 only to watch us get curb stomped. None of us could believe we lost to such a terrible program

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: November 11, 2021, 07:45:29 PM »
I rough ridin' hate Baylor to the max.  I'll never forgive that cheating Briles beating us when we were rated #1 in the BCS.  :curse:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: November 11, 2021, 08:15:15 PM »
KSU OG Big 12 "Peers"

I remember traveling to Baylor with some buds in 06 or 07 only to watch us get curb stomped. None of us could believe we lost to such a terrible program

I distinctly remember when we lost at baylor in 2010. The game was not on TV so we were playing beer darts in the backyard listening to the game on the radio kind of paying attention but also just pounding beers. None of us could believe that we lost to baylor AGAIN. It was earth shattering.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: November 11, 2021, 08:21:26 PM »
KSU OG Big 12 "Peers"

I distinctly remember when we lost at baylor in 2010. The game was not on TV so we were playing beer darts in the backyard listening to the game on the radio kind of paying attention but also just pounding beers. None of us could believe that we lost to baylor AGAIN. It was earth shattering.

Just absolutely wild there were un-televised big 12 conference games in 2010