Author Topic: Nebraska's struggle for relevance.  (Read 299587 times)

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
Re: Nebraska's struggle for relevance.
« Reply #1175 on: November 06, 2019, 05:15:20 PM »
I did not know that doc  was back at Nebraska lol.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: November 06, 2019, 09:36:48 PM »
i want doc to grow his hair our like willie nelson and braid the crap out of it
also think he may be related to wyatt thompson

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: November 06, 2019, 10:33:51 PM »
Sounds like he just didn't have it in him to be the head man any longer. He was having success at So. Miss. Improved them year over year his entire tenure. Still didn't make it to the dance tho. He did have a new AD coming in.

https://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/story/sports/2019/04/11/doc-sadler-resigns-usm-mens-head-basketball-coach/3437022002/

Edit: Mods plz move this recent convo to the Doc Sadler thread.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: November 07, 2019, 02:46:31 PM »

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: November 07, 2019, 06:16:59 PM »
My gawd, its beautiful.

Truehuskerfan said: ?
Heck, we ought to be able to be at least as good in the Big Ten as Iowa. Minnesota got things turned around this year. We're not asking for national championships-right now we ought to be at the very least able to make bowl games every year. We're not even doing that. I will not excuse the horrible coaching by blaming the conference.

Why should we be? Because Bob Devaney coached us in the 60’s? Because TO was probably the greatest coach in CFB history? Because we spend a lot of money? Take out our history which was due to 1 or two guys and what do we have left? We have a program that is in a horrible geographic footprint with a fan base that expects every coach to live up to the expectations of what the best coach in CFB history did here.

I would love it if Nebraska could compete for conference and national titles, but the fact is we are behind every single Big Ten West program outside of Illinois right now. We are the 6th best program in the Big Ten West. Firing coaches isn’t going to change that overnight, our last 4 coaching searches have produced Frank who did pretty damn well, but he rebounded at Ohio. Callahan who went back to the NFL as a position coach, Pelini who didn’t even have a FBS level offer and now Scott who appears probably wasn’t quite ready. He’s in year 4 as a head coach and has had 1 winning season, maybe it was a fluke. I think it’s time to realize we aren’t better than Iowa or Wisconsin, we are level with Purdue, Northwestern and Illinois right now probably. Minnesota is a year ahead of us, Iowa is years ahead of us and Wisconsin may be a decade ahead of us.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: November 07, 2019, 06:21:13 PM »
I would disagree with him saying Osborne was the GOAT (Saban) but hot dam i'm just too busy reading it again and again.  :love: :love:

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: November 07, 2019, 06:24:29 PM »
Man, Iowa fans laying down the truth.

jmliehr said: ?
No, but he coached in the Big 12 with 8 game conference seasons. The Big Ten made us rich, but it is also notorious for creating abysmal football programs while having 2 or 3 relevant teams.

Such a bad take. The big 10 is one of the deepest leagues for talented balance. In fact, there are currently 6 big 10 teams in the Top 20.
Until the NE fans and their football program start respecting the Conference they belong to now, rather than making excuses and whining for the good old days of the Big 8/12, the sooner they might actually start having success. NE came into the big 10 expecting to just dominate, without ever bothering to adapt to the big 10 style, which requires great OL and DL’s. They have all but ignored this part of their squad over the years, instead mainly focusing on skill positions. PSU joined our conference, didn’t act like an entitled program, adapted and found a way to thrive.
Maybe this season is the first step in humility for your program that allows you to quit living in the past, focus on the future and rebuild your program the right way.

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: November 07, 2019, 07:04:48 PM »
OMG where are these gems from?

and @stevedave that is a marvelous photo/caption.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: November 07, 2019, 07:08:05 PM »

Offline TheProdigiousTalent

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: November 07, 2019, 07:18:29 PM »
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 07:22:21 PM by TheProdigiousTalent »

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: November 07, 2019, 07:21:26 PM »
https://twitter.com/aswildcat/status/1191921739099455489

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Confirmed: Scott Frost cannot look away.

someone needs to beat a [redacted]'s ass for wearing a hoodie, too.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: November 07, 2019, 09:48:57 PM »

https://nebraska.forums.rivals.com/threads/is-nebraska-football-dead.254490/

I'm four pages in. Thread started strong with some great self-loathing Husker posts, a couple of which were posted here. Then some Iowa fans and a Purdue fan entered with some reasonable posts and a bit of reality smack. The weirdo Floodaggies started pouring in with some pretty cringeworthy driviling, and Nubbs rightly lol'd at their efforts. ISU fans... so weird. Thread getting more brown by the post now.

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: November 07, 2019, 09:53:27 PM »
This is a pretty good one on page 4.

It's dead. Too many recruiting challenges, in the social media era, there are WAY too many options for kids going to so many other schools. Parity. System challenges, but mostly numbers of players and population in Nebraska make it impossible.

Frost needed to splash right away and bring in some studs, build a culture, build the brand back up but QUICKLY.

Our hope was a turnaround and return to relevance to overcome the inherent recruiting challenges and population/lack of players in an age of parity and competition. TO had it made once he built what he had. No longer.

We're dead. Dead Big Red. We had our moments, at least.

Basically, now that we aren't able to game the system to our advantage we'll probably suck forever. Ah reality.

Offline muqluk

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: November 07, 2019, 10:37:44 PM »

https://nebraska.forums.rivals.com/threads/is-nebraska-football-dead.254490/

I'm four pages in. Thread started strong with some great self-loathing Husker posts, a couple of which were posted here. Then some Iowa fans and a Purdue fan entered with some reasonable posts and a bit of reality smack. The weirdo Floodaggies started pouring in with some pretty cringeworthy driviling, and Nubbs rightly lol'd at their efforts. ISU fans... so weird. Thread getting more brown by the post now.

Dont forget the PedoState fan ranting about how they did nothing wrong and no one knew sandusky was a predator.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: November 08, 2019, 09:25:48 AM »

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: November 08, 2019, 10:09:42 AM »
i am still confounded ever time i look at the stupid Huskers cursive font

who thought/thinks that looks good?

Offline Cardiac Cats

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: November 08, 2019, 09:34:52 PM »

Offline TheProdigiousTalent

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: November 08, 2019, 10:16:14 PM »

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: November 13, 2019, 11:01:37 AM »
Frost is of Nebraska more than he is from Nebraska, as though the land and the cornfields and maybe even the Runzas, those strange sandwiches native to this region, course through his bloodstream. (At one point, a Nebraska assistant coach finishes his lunch at the athletic complex's training table, then whispers his confession like it's a sin. "Runza," he starts, then shakes his head. He can't bring himself to go on because it's sacrilege around here. He's just not a fan of Runza, the 70-year-old purveyor of ground beef, onions and cabbage stuffed into a bread pocket. It's fast food that Nebraskans at home and Nebraskans displaced evangelize like it's manna.)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: November 13, 2019, 11:05:00 AM »
Every day that ticks by is one more day between now and then, when Nebraska was something special, when its place among the sport's powers felt less well-oiled-machine and more manifest destiny.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: November 13, 2019, 11:10:34 AM »
He doesn't mention Lawrence Phillips by name, but he doesn't need to. In 1995, Phillips, who was the Huskers' star running back, was arrested on assault charges and accused of throwing his ex-girlfriend to the bathroom floor, then dragging her down three flights of stairs. Although Osborne initially dismissed Phillips from the team, he was reinstated after a six-game suspension, then played out the 1995 season, including the victorious championship game. (It was Frost's apartment that Phillips allegedly broke into to get to his ex-girlfriend.)

Why didn't they mention that it was Scott Frost's apartment he broke into to assault his ex gf and that Frost watched the whole thing without trying to stop him?

Hours after the team returned from East Lansing on September 10, 1995, Phillips broke into backup quarterback Scott Frost's apartment by climbing the outside of the building to the third floor and entering through some sliding doors. He then assaulted his ex-girlfriend, basketball player Kate McEwen. Phillips dragged McEwen out of the apartment by the hair and down three flights of stairs before smashing her head into a mailbox. Phillips was subsequently arrested, and eventually suspended by head coach Tom Osborne. The case became a source of controversy and media attention, with the perception that Frost had not even tried to protect McEwen and that Osborne was coddling a star player by not kicking Phillips off the team permanently. Osborne walked out on a press conference when asked, "If one of your players had roughed up a member of your family and had dragged her down a flight of steps, would you have reinstated that player to the team?"[8] Outraged Nebraska faculty proposed that any student convicted of a violent crime be prohibited from representing the university on the football field.[9] Osborne defended the decision, saying that abandoning Phillips might do more harm than good, stating the best way to help Phillips was within the structured environment of the football program. Osborne stated, "I felt the only thing I could put in a place that would keep him on track was football, because that was probably the only consistent organizing factor in his life."[10] After a six-game suspension, Osborne reinstated Phillips for the Iowa State game,[11] although touted freshman Ahman Green continued to start. Phillips also played against Kansas and Oklahoma.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: November 13, 2019, 11:26:06 AM »
eeek, i didn't know that part of the Lawrence Phillips story.  what was she doing in Scott Frost's apartment, did she live there?