Author Topic: Voter ID  (Read 28446 times)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Voter ID
« on: October 09, 2014, 09:19:24 AM »
Why do voter ID requirements disproportionately reduce turnout among black and younger voters? Is it really so hard to procure some form of ID to prove you are a registered voter before casting a ballot? Do you think this is discouraging registered voters from voting, or just the dumbasses who show up at a polling place on election day without having bothered to register (or registered unknowingly for the free t-shirt)?

http://www.kansascity.com/news/government-politics/article2632563.html

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 11:35:47 AM by K-S-U-Wildcats! »
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Voter ID
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 09:22:44 AM »
If we are going to require a photo id, then I think we should probably issue one free of charge when somebody registers to vote. That seems kind of wasteful, though.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 09:42:51 AM »
1. I don't think it is a big deal to require a photo ID.  I mean, a bunch of transactions in our society already require one.

2. Fully agree that a form of ID should be free, and reasonable to get your hands on, if required to vote.  Remove all obstacles.  Unfortunately, the I think the obstacles are exactly what Kobach is counting on.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 10:56:03 AM »
If we are going to require a photo id, then I think we should probably issue one free of charge when somebody registers to vote. That seems kind of wasteful, though.

Let's get rid of social security cards while we're at it.  Ridiculously wasteful.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline gatoveintisiet

• Combo-Fan
  • the maverick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 11:07:40 AM »
Somebody told me a long time ago that it is a law that you carry a DL or ID card with you at all times so that you can provide it to authorities if asked.  Is this true?
You are dipping into the Kool Aid and you don't even know what flavor it is.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 11:08:50 AM »
Somebody told me a long time ago that it is a law that you carry a DL or ID card with you at all times so that you can provide it to authorities if asked.  Is this true?

Only if you live in Arizona and are Hispanic.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 11:09:15 AM »

Let's get rid of social security cards while we're at it.  Ridiculously wasteful.

Are these still a thing?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 11:21:46 AM »

You don't have to show anyone anything.  Free country, bro.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 10:54:22 PM »
I honestly had no idea the ID thing wasn't already required.  I just assumed you had to prove who you were to vote, and the most perfunctory way to do that is with ID.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 06:42:34 AM »
If they require an Id they should provide them

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2014, 07:54:25 AM »
I'll be honest, I don't really understand the problem with showing ID to vote in person.  If you don't have an ID and you're too old or handicapped to get one, request an absentee ballot where ID is not required.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2014, 08:03:09 AM »
The supposed issue is that the very poor that work multiple jobs, don't have a car, etc don't have as much ability as the rest of society to take off work to go wait in line forever at the DMV for an ID.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2014, 08:06:25 AM »
Also, the whole passport mention is lol'ey.  I mean, I got mine last year and it cost something around $115 ea for my wife and I with stops at a place to get a pic, then a stop at the post office sometime btwn 9am & 4pm.  If that isn't a barrier against poor ppl voting, I dont know what is.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2014, 09:07:48 AM »
Pretty sure most states offer free or nearly free ID for anyone that can prove who they are.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2014, 09:08:50 AM »
Pretty sure most states offer free or nearly free ID for anyone that can prove who they are.

Proving who you are can be a real pain in the ass, though.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2014, 09:10:01 AM »
The supposed issue is that the very poor that work multiple jobs, don't have a car, etc don't have as much ability as the rest of society to take off work to go wait in line forever at the DMV for an ID.

If you have time to wait in line to vote, you can make time to get a photo ID card.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2014, 09:17:06 AM »
I have never once had to wait in line to vote. I just show up, take a ballot straight to the booth, and fill that sucker out. The day I have to wait on somebody so I can enter the booth is the day I start getting absentee ballots.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2014, 09:17:29 AM »
I tend to believe that people who are too busy to go and get an ID are also too busy to go vote.

The entire idea that there is widespread voter fraud is pretty ridiculous.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2014, 09:24:05 AM »

If you have time to wait in line to vote, you can make time to get a photo ID card.

Law offers protection for those missing work to do one of those things.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2014, 09:25:48 AM »
I tend to believe that people who are too busy to go and get an ID are also too busy to go vote.

The entire idea that there is widespread voter fraud is pretty ridiculous.

I am not defending either side.  I actually like the ID requirement. 

That said, I do understand that many ppl who are barely financially making it work jobs that bosses fire them from if they have to miss the second half of next Wednesday to get in line and get an ID.   That or they can't afford to miss the wages from that time off.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2014, 09:26:43 AM »
The belief that obtaining an ID inordinately more difficult for certain demographics is as stupid as the belief that there is no voter fraud.  If you give a crap about democracy, you should be concerned about voter fraud. If you have absolutely no controls in place to identify voter fraud, you aren't going to catch any (as is currently the case).

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2014, 09:27:45 AM »
I agree with the second half of your post.  However, if you don't understand the barrier I detailed, you are being willfully ignorant, or just gE'ing.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2014, 09:34:24 AM »
I agree with the second half of your post.  However, if you don't understand the barrier I detailed, you are being willfully ignorant, or just gE'ing.

I promise you I'm busier than these people who supposedly can't get to the dmv.  $15 is not financially constraining on anyone, but also a red herring as ID are offered free of charge. What's next? A mobile polling station that goes door to door so people can vote without leaving their house? (Dems would love this). The notion that no effort or inconvenience should be required to vote is as absurd.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2014, 09:35:51 AM »
If requiring id prevents 5 cases of voter fraud, it's worth it.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2014, 09:36:59 AM »
I agree that you, and I, are busier than many who fall into the category of what I described.  That said, most ppl in careers, not jobs, have the ability to have some flexibility in their day to day function as long as the product they produce is done when needed.