Author Topic: UberX targeting super stud city MHK  (Read 18374 times)

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: UberX targeting super stud city MHK
« Reply #100 on: May 06, 2015, 07:22:08 PM »
Are we the only state uber doesnt operate in?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 06, 2015, 08:33:54 PM »
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffbercovici/2014/03/14/uber-closes-insurance-gap-for-ride-sharing-drivers/

So this is still an issue or am I missing something?

Uber is only providing liability coverage. It won't cover repairs to a vehicle, and a personal comprehensive policy will not cover the repairs if the accident happened during the course of commercial activity.

The insurance they talk about in that article is when the driver isn't "commercial" as in taking a passenger, it's only when the app is on and driver is available....in that case personal insurance coverage kicks in first in most cases (their words) and if not, the additional uber insurance kicks in (in theory)

Uber is only picking up liability insurance if a driver causes damage another person/property. The banks don't give a crap about anything other than their collateral.

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 06, 2015, 08:42:53 PM »
Were specific examples of insurance gaps and loopholes discussed during the legislative process?  I'd love to see how a situation played out in real life that prompted a belief that this legislation was imperative to protect auto lenders who've loaned money to uber drivers that will default on their loans once a car accident happens and thus lose a (not the only) remedy in recovering the loan balance?

No real world example, but I think it's a fairly logical argument with some pretty easy workarounds. Banks, insurance cos and Uber are gigantic dicks so there's no real winner. Uber's MHK service/rates were pretty lol while in operation here tho.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 06, 2015, 09:53:35 PM »
Are we the only state uber doesnt operate in?

Nope. Also if any of you are under the impression that Uber is some plucky startup incapable of fending for themselves from the big bad banking industry I'd recommend you read their wiki page and you can learn how they were founded and who is funding them.

They stole tips from drivers? :nono:

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 06, 2015, 09:57:32 PM »
Were specific examples of insurance gaps and loopholes discussed during the legislative process?  I'd love to see how a situation played out in real life that prompted a belief that this legislation was imperative to protect auto lenders who've loaned money to uber drivers that will default on their loans once a car accident happens and thus lose a (not the only) remedy in recovering the loan balance?

No real world example, but I think it's a fairly logical argument with some pretty easy workarounds.

I agree, and speculate that the lack of this even being a problem in real life is allowing all involved to have mumped up fixing it in a way that works for everyone.

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 06, 2015, 10:12:05 PM »

No real world example, but I think it's a fairly logical argument with some pretty easy workarounds.

I agree, and speculate that the lack of this even being a problem in real life is allowing all involved to have mumped up fixing it in a way that works for everyone.

Legislators gonna legislate.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 06, 2015, 10:24:10 PM »
Everybody else can figure it out....come on KS.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 06, 2015, 10:40:29 PM »
One time I left my work laptop in an UberX and the guy tried to get me to give him money to get it back. I told him to eff off. (Nicely)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 06, 2015, 10:44:07 PM »
Neither he nor you did that.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 06, 2015, 10:46:07 PM »
Power tripping off 3 draft picks

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 06, 2015, 10:56:05 PM »

no, it did, and it happens quite a bit. http://laist.com/2013/12/17/uber_driver_demands_500_for_phone_l.php

I called him two minutes after he dropped me off and he was like, "ummm, I have it, what do you want me to do?" and I'm like "BRING ME BACK MY LAPTOP" and he's like "I'll have to charge you" thinking it would be like a standard fare for him to bring it back. (I had no idea what their policy was and just assumed it was company policy, I was a little stressed at this point.) I was like, "Fine. whatever. just bring it back." When he got back I was like, "um, so my app just takes care of this or whatever?" and he's like, "um, no, that's not how it works" and I told him I didn't have any cash and he's like "um, um, bye". Like I said, a nice way of telling him to eff off. I would never say that to a real human.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 06, 2015, 11:04:23 PM »

no, it did, and it happens quite a bit. http://laist.com/2013/12/17/uber_driver_demands_500_for_phone_l.php

I called him two minutes after he dropped me off and he was like, "ummm, I have it, what do you want me to do?" and I'm like "BRING ME BACK MY LAPTOP" and he's like "I'll have to charge you" thinking it would be like a standard fare for him to bring it back. (I had no idea what their policy was and just assumed it was company policy, I was a little stressed at this point.) I was like, "Fine. whatever. just bring it back." When he got back I was like, "um, so my app just takes care of this or whatever?" and he's like, "um, no, that's not how it works" and I told him I didn't have any cash and he's like "um, um, bye". Like I said, a nice way of telling him to eff off. I would never say that to a real human.

Kansas should go ahead and make that crap illegal, too, in case Uber ever decides to come back.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 06, 2015, 11:08:50 PM »

You can use the app now and report lost items.  Not sure if that would help but between that and 0 rating, it might get Uber moving on it.

I've had so many horrible cab experiences, these uber horror stories don't do much.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 06, 2015, 11:39:01 PM »
My neighbor uber driver and I were watching the seahawks/chiefs game at a bar last fall and one of his passengers called about having left his wallet in the car or something.  Neighbor told him he couldn't drive his wallet to him because we were pak'n, but had the guy come to our building later to pick it up free of charge.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 06, 2015, 11:54:16 PM »

You can use the app now and report lost items.  Not sure if that would help but between that and 0 rating, it might get Uber moving on it.

I've had so many horrible cab experiences, these uber horror stories don't do much.

I did report in on the app, but their policy once you do that is just "work it out with the driver". I agree, it's not so bad. I mean paying for a taxi with a credit card my god.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 07, 2015, 01:03:11 AM »
Not sure if that would help but between that and 0 rating, it might get Uber moving on it.

Their rating system is so mumped up.

https://twitter.com/hosienation/status/595233533334925312

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 07, 2015, 01:10:42 AM »
Everybody else can figure it out....come on KS.

Kansas isn't the only state without uber and there are several states that have uber that have or had issues with uber. The state didn't kick uber out, they didn't think enough about Kansas to comply like they're made the decision to do other places. If a state they valued more imposed these same restrictions on them, they'd do it.

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 07, 2015, 06:12:50 AM »
The thing about Lyft is like 4 people have ever used it

Lyft gave me free tickets to the World Series. I would love having lyft back again

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 07, 2015, 06:54:01 AM »
Took an uber to the car dealership yesterday.  Driver was a VERY elderly man who told me that next week he's going on a pacific northwest vision quest with his 3 great granddaughters.

Also, I love the Uber product, but the Kansas requirements don't really seem all that unreasonable to me. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 07, 2015, 07:12:29 AM »
When you uber, do you ride in the front or back?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 07, 2015, 07:22:26 AM »
i only ride in the front if i'm riding with at least two other people. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline mhkpasa

• Katpak'r
  • Let's go get a couple bowls of loudmouth soup
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 07, 2015, 08:15:46 AM »
I'll ride shotgun on a solo ride quite often. I kinda give the driver a front or back motion before I hop in, in case he is in totally against this drunk dude hoping up front.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 07, 2015, 09:51:48 AM »
Legislators and insurance salesmen/companies are the worst....absolute.rough ridin'.worst.
@mikec2w

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 07, 2015, 10:51:31 AM »
Uber horror stories are also not doing much for me either. I don't love the company Uber per se, as they are obviously pretty shady. But I love that they allow more choice in my market. New Orleans taxis have had an absolute stranglehold on the city for so GD long and they were never held accountable for anything and basically broke whatever rules/laws they pleased because there was no competition. But now there is, and it's great, even if the competing company itself isn't that great. Ya dig?

In Manhattan I'd more just all about Uber because A) every other state seems to be able to make it work, and B) there just aren't very many cabs (because D. Scott is always in them) but there are tons of drunk people who want rides all the time.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 07, 2015, 11:02:13 AM »

I mean, I would have thrown him a few bones.  Leaving the laptop in the car was your error.  The guy incurs an opportunity cost by delivering the laptop to your location. It would be the decent thing to do.