Author Topic: UberX targeting super stud city MHK  (Read 18370 times)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: UberX targeting super stud city MHK
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2015, 07:08:35 AM »
Banks and insurance companies lobbied hard against Uber without them getting their guarantees.  Every Podunk Kansas town has a respectable banker and a few insurance men and a chamber of commerce.  Only KC, Topeka, Wichita, MHK and Lawrence would've had Uber.

The ability to lobby/threaten the state legislature in to doing all sorts of things is getting more evident as social media provides live updates of the shenanigans of committee meetings and testimony presented.  It sounds cliche to say that lobbyists exercise an enormous amount of influence on votes, but it is incredible to see it in action when it so clearly lays to waste the idea that ideology and partisan politics is always the driving force behind voting.

Well, the banks are right in wanting to make sure the cars they are financing are properly insured.
Last I knew,  if you were paying on your car still, you had to have full coverage.   Is this not true now?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2015, 07:19:18 AM »
There are certain circles in sf that will judge you pretty hard if you take uber. I still prefer it to a taxi. Mainly because cabs are smelly and I don't usually carry much cash because credit card thread.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2015, 07:22:13 AM »
The thing about Lyft is like 4 people have ever used it
:adios:

Offline Jabeez

• Combo-Fan
  • #Currie4USPrez
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2015, 07:29:20 AM »
Uber agreed with the bill until the night before the vote the insurance committee put in the additional insurance amendment on the bill for cars that have liens on them,  which is asinine because the bank requires insurance anyway.  Also, uber addressed the "insurance gap"  rather publicly.  It seems pretty bitter of the Kansas legislative body to cry, "they're meanies.  They are just bluffing, and we're going to wait it out because they can't afford to lose our huge Kansas markets.   Lobbyists also told us they wanted some stuff in this bill, so we have to put it in there obviously."

Honestly, there is no logical argument for keeping a company out of Kansas when everyone wants it, except for MIR and the state senate.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2015, 07:33:09 AM »
Uber is pretty gross guys. I mean there's a million stories about the gross crap they've done; senior executives threatening media members, charging surge pricing when people attempted to escape public shootings in Sydney, etc. I think I'm going to delete their app and eat the money I have on my account

http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/26/6067663/this-is-ubers-playbook-for-sabotaging-lyft

Still 100x more reputable than New Orleans cabs, tho.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 06, 2015, 07:40:27 AM »
yeah, gross is relative to whatever other options available

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 06, 2015, 08:03:56 AM »
yeah, gross is relative to whatever other options available

True. The cars and drivers are great and I've had nothing but great experiences using uber. Their executives seem to be horrible people.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 06, 2015, 08:23:05 AM »
Banks and insurance companies lobbied hard against Uber without them getting their guarantees.  Every Podunk Kansas town has a respectable banker and a few insurance men and a chamber of commerce.  Only KC, Topeka, Wichita, MHK and Lawrence would've had Uber.

The ability to lobby/threaten the state legislature in to doing all sorts of things is getting more evident as social media provides live updates of the shenanigans of committee meetings and testimony presented.  It sounds cliche to say that lobbyists exercise an enormous amount of influence on votes, but it is incredible to see it in action when it so clearly lays to waste the idea that ideology and partisan politics is always the driving force behind voting.

Well, the banks are right in wanting to make sure the cars they are financing are properly insured.
Last I knew,  if you were paying on your car still, you had to have full coverage.   Is this not true now?

If you have full coverage and wreck your car driving it commercially, your insurance company doesn't have to pay a dime.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 06, 2015, 09:45:51 AM »

If you have full coverage and wreck your car driving it commercially, your insurance company doesn't have to pay a dime.

Where's the "commercial" line? What about food delivery drivers? Does the restaurant's insurance cover them?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 06, 2015, 09:52:47 AM »

Where's the "commercial" line? What about food delivery drivers? Does the restaurant's insurance cover them?

Either the restaurant or the driver (probably the driver) needs to have commercial or business coverage. Basically, if you collect any sort of fee for driving your vehicle, you need more than private coverage.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 10:29:10 AM by Rage Against the McKee »

Offline Jabeez

• Combo-Fan
  • #Currie4USPrez
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 06, 2015, 12:53:38 PM »

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 06, 2015, 01:19:38 PM »
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffbercovici/2014/03/14/uber-closes-insurance-gap-for-ride-sharing-drivers/

So this is still an issue or am I missing something?

I have no idea. If Uber is insuring all of their drivers, then I'm not sure what makes the Kansas law a big deal to them. I really liked this quote, though.

“The context that needs to be kept in mind when you talk to certain city council members is how long have they been taking campaign contributions from the taxi industry,” he said. “They’re essentially in the pocket of the taxi industry, just straight up.”

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 06, 2015, 01:24:31 PM »
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffbercovici/2014/03/14/uber-closes-insurance-gap-for-ride-sharing-drivers/

Uber is only providing liability coverage. It won't cover repairs to a vehicle, and a personal comprehensive policy will not cover the repairs if the accident happened during the course of commercial activity.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 06, 2015, 02:09:43 PM »
had this discussion at lunch with a banker friend.   He said the big push was from the KBA on the collateral issue.   Like I told him, my issue is that nobody else is getting hammered for that.

Your pizza delivery driver isn't.    Your white van carpet installer isn't.   Your handyman with a ladder in the back of his S-10 isn't.   Because they don't have a lobby chasing them.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 06, 2015, 02:26:21 PM »
had this discussion at lunch with a banker friend.   He said the big push was from the KBA on the collateral issue.   Like I told him, my issue is that nobody else is getting hammered for that.

Your pizza delivery driver isn't.    Your white van carpet installer isn't.   Your handyman with a ladder in the back of his S-10 isn't.   Because they don't have a lobby chasing them.

Yeah, the bill should have been more comprehensive.

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2015, 02:42:20 PM »

Most of them don't know.. And they'd be SOL if they were to be in an accident.

Offline Jabeez

• Combo-Fan
  • #Currie4USPrez
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2015, 02:44:09 PM »
Big Taxi is ruining America!

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2015, 02:56:26 PM »
Big Taxi money in politics has ruined America!

Offline hjfklmor

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 06, 2015, 04:54:35 PM »

Most of them don't know.. And they'd be SOL if they were to be in an accident.

I would hope that these drivers are employed by businesses that have commercial insurance but the reality is that you are probably right, especially for the smaller companies and independent contractors.

The bill really should have included more instead of being targeted against Uber.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 06, 2015, 05:13:29 PM »
Uber is pretty gross guys. I mean there's a million stories about the gross crap they've done; senior executives threatening media members, charging surge pricing when people attempted to escape public shootings in Sydney, etc. I think I'm going to delete their app and eat the money I have on my account

http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/26/6067663/this-is-ubers-playbook-for-sabotaging-lyft

About the same as any local cab mafia monopoly

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 06, 2015, 05:18:39 PM »

Uber is only providing liability coverage. It won't cover repairs to a vehicle, and a personal comprehensive policy will not cover the repairs if the accident happened during the course of commercial activity.

The insurance they talk about in that article is when the driver isn't "commercial" as in taking a passenger, it's only when the app is on and driver is available....in that case personal insurance coverage kicks in first in most cases (their words) and if not, the additional uber insurance kicks in (in theory)

Offline hjfklmor

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 06, 2015, 05:27:44 PM »
I'm pretty sure that if these drivers don't tell their insurance companies that they are driving for uber (and why would they, their premiums would skyrocket) any claims would be denied. Fairly certain their personal insurance wouldn't do crap.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 06, 2015, 05:43:15 PM »
ITT: We learned who sells insurance.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 06, 2015, 05:54:48 PM »
Were specific examples of insurance gaps and loopholes discussed during the legislative process?  I'd love to see how a situation played out in real life that prompted a belief that this legislation was imperative to protect auto lenders who've loaned money to uber drivers that will default on their loans once a car accident happens and thus lose a (not the only) remedy in recovering the loan balance?

Offline hjfklmor

• Fan
    • View Profile
UberX targeting super stud city MHK
« Reply #99 on: May 06, 2015, 07:15:47 PM »
Bankers bitch a lot about how they could lose money while making tons of money year after year. That's how the situation played out.