Author Topic: K-State vs Auburn - Serious Game Discussion Thread (No Bullshit)  (Read 35969 times)

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • qoEMAW's official representative to goEMAW
    • View Profile
Re: K-State vs Auburn - Serious Game Discussion Thread (No Bullshit)
« Reply #125 on: September 15, 2014, 02:42:34 PM »
I don't think they want us bringing up his days at Garden City Community College...

:dunno:
bears are fast...

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 15, 2014, 02:55:33 PM »
I don't think I've watched Auburn play a down of football since 2007.

Offline FadeMeAU

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 15, 2014, 02:56:42 PM »
I don't think they want us bringing up his days at Garden City Community College...

You can bring it up until your heart's content. His time at GCCC doesn't matter. He still isn't a great passing QB and probably never will be. But he's very effective in Auburn's offense. KState will have to prove it can shut down the run (which no one has done in the last 10 games) before Auburn resorts to completely slinging the ball around the field. And if it comes to Auburn having to abandon the run, Nick might come out of the game and be replaced by Johnson. If Auburn is forced to throw consistently in the second half because they're down big, Johnson is the QB to do that. That's obviously not ideal, but Johnson is the better passer. And if we have to resort to that, Auburn will be in serious trouble.

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 15, 2014, 03:07:32 PM »

You can bring it up until your heart's content. His time at GCCC doesn't matter. He still isn't a great passing QB and probably never will be. But he's very effective in Auburn's offense. KState will have to prove it can shut down the run (which no one has done in the last 10 games) before Auburn resorts to completely slinging the ball around the field. And if it comes to Auburn having to abandon the run, Nick might come out of the game and be replaced by Johnson. If Auburn is forced to throw consistently in the second half because they're down big, Johnson is the QB to do that. That's obviously not ideal, but Johnson is the better passer. And if we have to resort to that, Auburn will be in serious trouble.

Easy, killer...  I was merely using his days as a Bronc to further the point that he's "not a great passing QB".  I think you're offense vs our defense will be a fun match-up simply because we are far better defensively than the vast majority of the SEC and have proven that out statistically in a conference more known for its offenses.

Interestingly, I think we dictate pace/number of possessions with our offense on Thursday which applies increased pressure as the game goes on to score every time you get it, especially if your defense has the same struggles with us that you've had with lesser Big12 offenses (aggy/mizzou).
bears are fast...

Offline #1AUFAN

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 15, 2014, 03:13:54 PM »
I understand that the SEC hasn't witnessed a forward pass before, but we know enough to see that nick marshall sucks at passing the ball.

Marshall has not been a very accurate thrower of the ball, that is very true. My point was that we have big physical receivers who help him in that regard. Down the field or otherwise, big bodies make easier targets.  Especially in the screen game he doesn't have to be an accurate down the field thrower. If your defense plays soft coverage I expect that Malzahn will "take what the defense gives him" and get the ball into play maker's hands in space.

Offline FadeMeAU

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 15, 2014, 03:21:18 PM »

Easy, killer...  I was merely using his days as a Bronc to further the point that he's "not a great passing QB".  I think you're offense vs our defense will be a fun match-up simply because we are far better defensively than the vast majority of the SEC and have proven that out statistically in a conference more known for its offenses.

Interestingly, I think we dictate pace/number of possessions with our offense on Thursday which applies increased pressure as the game goes on to score every time you get it, especially if your defense has the same struggles with us that you've had with lesser Big12 offenses (aggy/mizzou).

Didn't mean for that to come across as aggressive. I've just never thought he was a great passer and didn't expect him to become one overnight. I think he can be serviceable, and this offense allows for a lot of easy reads and open throws. There isn't a lot of progression needed.

And I think you underestimate the defensive talent and abilities of the SEC, much like a lot of Auburn fans are underestimating KSU's defense. Gus's offense is incredibly difficult to stop. No one has really done it since he's been at Auburn. And it's pretty efficient. So while KSU may control TOP, if the defense can't force a punt, turnover, or FG, TOP isn't going to be a factor. Then, it comes down to who has the ball last.

I don't think Auburn can consistently stop KState's offense. Too much space to cover for a defense who hasn't had much success against mobile QBs in spread offenses. But I also don't think they will be stopped on offense. I see it being a one score came late in the 4th quarter.

Offline #1AUFAN

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 15, 2014, 03:27:56 PM »

Didn't mean for that to come across as aggressive. I've just never thought he was a great passer and didn't expect him to become one overnight. I think he can be serviceable, and this offense allows for a lot of easy reads and open throws. There isn't a lot of progression needed.

And I think you underestimate the defensive talent and abilities of the SEC, much like a lot of Auburn fans are underestimating KSU's defense. Gus's offense is incredibly difficult to stop. No one has really done it since he's been at Auburn. And it's pretty efficient. So while KSU may control TOP, if the defense can't force a punt, turnover, or FG, TOP isn't going to be a factor. Then, it comes down to who has the ball last.

I don't think Auburn can consistently stop KState's offense. Too much space to cover for a defense who hasn't had much success against mobile QBs in spread offenses. But I also don't think they will be stopped on offense. I see it being a one score came late in the 4th quarter.

I think those are pretty fair statements.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 15, 2014, 03:33:02 PM »
Auburn fans that like X & O stuff, here are a bunch of blogs for this site I wrote the last few seasons about K-State's offense. (unfortunately I haven't had time to blog yet this year): http://goEMAW.com/blog/?cat=4

Offline #1AUFAN

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 15, 2014, 03:36:24 PM »
Auburn fans that like X & O stuff, here are a bunch of blogs for this site I wrote the last few seasons about K-State's offense. (unfortunately I haven't had time to blog yet this year): http://goEMAW.com/blog/?cat=4

Wish you had some stuff from this year - I stay busy too, well with the exception of today  ;)

And that's awesome man.  :thumbsup:

Offline FadeMeAU

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 15, 2014, 03:44:39 PM »

Good stuff. Really like the play breakdowns.

Offline #1AUFAN

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 15, 2014, 03:47:27 PM »
You would also enjoy anything from StatTiger here: http://www.aufamily.com/forums/blogs/

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 15, 2014, 04:07:25 PM »

It's all good... I think we are generally on the same page.  Maybe I underestimate the "defensive talent and abilities of the SEC" and maybe I don't, but we'll soon find out.

Here's what I base it on:

Nobody has really been able to slow aggy/mizzou since they departed and since it's only been 2 seasons, I think it's safe to say that they were still operating with Big12 kids and Pinkel hasn't changed his offense any since he left our confy. That offense was middle of the pack here with similar talent. Granted Sumlin is the wildcard at aggy, but still all those kids were recruited as Big12 caliber players. No?

Also, we weren't really all that good defensively in '12.  Arky was the SEC's best offense, yet made our kids look like the '85 bears in the Cotton Bowl that year. 

I'm just not sold by the SEC hype machine that ESPN has become, especially when the numbers don't really bear it out at the end of the day.  Last year, there were exactly four Big12 teams in the top 30 "Total Defense" stats... How many do you think the SEC had?  If you guessed "four", you'd be spot on.  Throw in the fact that most consider the Big12 an "offensive" conference and it makes one think, huh?

Food for thought at the very least.
bears are fast...

Offline #1AUFAN

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 15, 2014, 04:20:01 PM »
the great thing is that all the conjecture and perception gets to be played out on the field Thursday!

Offline FadeMeAU

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 15, 2014, 04:35:20 PM »

It's all good... I think we are generally on the same page.  Maybe I underestimate the "defensive talent and abilities of the SEC" and maybe I don't, but we'll soon find out.

Nobody has really been able to slow aggy/mizzou since they departed and since it's only been 2 seasons, I think it's safe to say that they were still operating with Big12 kids and Pinkel hasn't changed his offense any since he left our confy. That offense was middle of the pack here with similar talent. Granted Sumlin is the wildcard at aggy, but still all those kids were recruited as Big12 caliber players. No?

Also, we weren't really all that good defensively in '12.  Arky was the SEC's best offense, yet made our kids look like the '85 bears in the Cotton Bowl that year. 

I'm just not sold by the SEC hype machine that ESPN has become, especially when the numbers don't really bear it out at the end of the day.  Last year, there were exactly four Big12 teams in the top 30 "Total Defense" stats... How many do you think the SEC had?  If you guessed "four", you'd be spot on.  Throw in the fact that most consider the Big12 an "offensive" conference and it makes one think, huh?

Confused on the bold. Arky was only slightly better than Auburn in '12, and we were hot garbage that year.

Generally, I agree with you. Defense in the SEC hasn't been great in the last couple season. There are some really good defenses, but most are mediocre. Part of it is athletic ability on the offensive side of the ball; part is offensive scheme; and part is just poor coaching and inexperience. But I think the SEC has more than held it's own in OOC games over the last several years to prove that defense is no joke when matching up against non-conference opponents. I do agree that Mizzou and aTm have had some big games against SEC teams, but I think they would've been equally as tough for any BIG 12 team to stop. One had a senior QB and a lot of offensive weapons and the other was one of the greatest college QBs of all time. I don't think it would matter which conference they were in; they were putting up points.

Not really sure what it is, but the athleticism and physicality of the SEC has boded well OOC in the last few years. That's where much of the hype comes from. Then, the conference somewhat cannabilzes itself and makes some pretty solid defenses look mediocre or worse. I think Mizzou's defense was very good and very underrated last year, and they were just a complete disaster against Auburn in the SECCG. So, I think it's a bit of the defenses not being quite as good as the hype and the offensive players and schemes being really tough to stop.

Offline cas4ksu

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 15, 2014, 06:07:58 PM »
Alright, after watching Auburn here are my thoughts:

Offensively for KSU:
-BALANCE: All caps for a reason. How many times in the past have we gotten down early against a good team then started chucking the ball and totally abandoning the run? Arky in Cotton Bowl. Oregon. Few to come to mind. I'm not saying that we need to run and pass the same amount, but when we become one dimensional it lets the DL from Auburn pin their ears back.

Against Arky in the season opener, Arky's QB Brandon Allen had time to throw and he was able to have some success in the air. Auburn only got 1 sack in that game.

In this game, I look to run to set up the throw. Arky had some success running the ball at them with draws and zone plays. Our OL will have to play their best game of the season.

-No turnovers: Self-explanatory. Waters has done a great job so far of being smart about not forcing throws. RB's have been dependable with ball security.

-Expose their secondary: This is a big spot for the Cats. #3, #15, #24 all have been burnt on double moves in games that I have seen. #6 is probably their best DB. But this is where we make our hay. They can be thrown on. The key is to have the threat to run to get these DBs to bite on the fake. Which is why I think balance is the #1 key.

Defensively for KSU:

Gap sound: Can't get out of our gaps. I think our DL is better than it was last year so far. If Clinkscales is anywhere close to being ready to play, I expect to see him in there. With Auburn moving at a high tempo, we will have to rotate bodies.

If we can challenge them at the LOS and create some penetration, that throws off the timing of a lot of their read and veer stuff.

Angles and Tackling: Schellenberg consistently takes the worst angles I've seen in awhile. Tysyn Hartman was also awful with angles, but Schellenberg is worse. I'm all but convinced he will have every member of this board be ready to see him not play another down after this week.

However, if he is able to limit mistakes and make tackles he can totally prove me wrong and I hope he does.

I think we will tackle well. We always seem to (hoping ISU was an aberration). 1 or 2 missed tackles can be the difference between a 2 yd gain and a first down or a 10 yd gain and a TD.

For DB's: Don't stare at the ball: I'm worried about the big plays out of AU's WR. Coates and Williams are freaks, however they aren't great route runners. They make their plays from YAC on short throws and being wide open due to play action and biting by DBs.

Line Up Correctly: Sounds easy, but with AU's tempo it is crucial not to give them extra yards due to being simply out of alignment.

That's the way I see it. If K-State can keep balance and play sound defense we will be in it to the end.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 15, 2014, 06:44:43 PM »
I gotta admit, i've enjoyed most of Auburns bbs'rs, but man, that sak guy is a bitch.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 15, 2014, 06:45:05 PM »
Also "setting the edge" is a football term I know that will probably be important.

Offline cas4ksu

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 15, 2014, 06:49:52 PM »
Also "setting the edge" is a football term I know that will probably be important.

Yeah. Arky did a great job of that in the first half against AU.

Offline FadeMeAU

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 15, 2014, 07:08:50 PM »

Offensively for KSU:
-BALANCE: All caps for a reason. How many times in the past have we gotten down early against a good team then started chucking the ball and totally abandoning the run? Arky in Cotton Bowl. Oregon. Few to come to mind. I'm not saying that we need to run and pass the same amount, but when we become one dimensional it lets the DL from Auburn pin their ears back.

Against Arky in the season opener, Arky's QB Brandon Allen had time to throw and he was able to have some success in the air. Auburn only got 1 sack in that game.

In this game, I look to run to set up the throw. Arky had some success running the ball at them with draws and zone plays. Our OL will have to play their best game of the season.

-No turnovers: Self-explanatory. Waters has done a great job so far of being smart about not forcing throws. RB's have been dependable with ball security.

-Expose their secondary: This is a big spot for the Cats. #3, #15, #24 all have been burnt on double moves in games that I have seen. #6 is probably their best DB. But this is where we make our hay. They can be thrown on. The key is to have the threat to run to get these DBs to bite on the fake. Which is why I think balance is the #1 key.

Defensively for KSU:

Gap sound: Can't get out of our gaps. I think our DL is better than it was last year so far. If Clinkscales is anywhere close to being ready to play, I expect to see him in there. With Auburn moving at a high tempo, we will have to rotate bodies.

If we can challenge them at the LOS and create some penetration, that throws off the timing of a lot of their read and veer stuff.

Angles and Tackling: Schellenberg consistently takes the worst angles I've seen in awhile. Tysyn Hartman was also awful with angles, but Schellenberg is worse. I'm all but convinced he will have every member of this board be ready to see him not play another down after this week.

However, if he is able to limit mistakes and make tackles he can totally prove me wrong and I hope he does.

I think we will tackle well. We always seem to (hoping ISU was an aberration). 1 or 2 missed tackles can be the difference between a 2 yd gain and a first down or a 10 yd gain and a TD.

For DB's: Don't stare at the ball: I'm worried about the big plays out of AU's WR. Coates and Williams are freaks, however they aren't great route runners. They make their plays from YAC on short throws and being wide open due to play action and biting by DBs.

Line Up Correctly: Sounds easy, but with AU's tempo it is crucial not to give them extra yards due to being simply out of alignment.

That's the way I see it. If K-State can keep balance and play sound defense we will be in it to the end.

So much correct info in this post, regardless of what some others might say. DL for Auburn is a big issue. Not having Lawson has and will continue to be an issue this season. The secondary bites too much on PA and double moves. Can't happen against guys like Lockett or it's six.

What are your thoughts on KSU's kickoff and punt coverage? I know kickoff coverage is a bit of an issue with Auburn. Our punter/FG kicker/kickoff specialist has been pretty solid so far this season.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 15, 2014, 07:14:22 PM »
We're usually ranked in the top ten nationally when it comes to special teams. It's been one of the things we do best. However, we did give up a punt return to Iowa State and Lockett is limited right now.  :frown:

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 15, 2014, 07:15:19 PM »

Confused on the bold. Arky was only slightly better than Auburn in '12, and we were hot garbage that year.

Generally, I agree with you. Defense in the SEC hasn't been great in the last couple season. There are some really good defenses, but most are mediocre. Part of it is athletic ability on the offensive side of the ball; part is offensive scheme; and part is just poor coaching and inexperience. But I think the SEC has more than held it's own in OOC games over the last several years to prove that defense is no joke when matching up against non-conference opponents. I do agree that Mizzou and aTm have had some big games against SEC teams, but I think they would've been equally as tough for any BIG 12 team to stop. One had a senior QB and a lot of offensive weapons and the other was one of the greatest college QBs of all time. I don't think it would matter which conference they were in; they were putting up points.

Not really sure what it is, but the athleticism and physicality of the SEC has boded well OOC in the last few years. That's where much of the hype comes from. Then, the conference somewhat cannabilzes itself and makes some pretty solid defenses look mediocre or worse. I think Mizzou's defense was very good and very underrated last year, and they were just a complete disaster against Auburn in the SECCG. So, I think it's a bit of the defenses not being quite as good as the hype and the offensive players and schemes being really tough to stop.

I was going strictly from memory but, if memory serves, I seem to remember the pre-game hype for the Cotton was that pig aggy led the SEC in offense in '12... Correct me if I'm wrong, I just don't feel like looking it up.

Here's where the hype really comes from: The SEC and ESPN are in bed together. 

Literally ALL of what you are saying about why the SEC defenses haven't looked so good lately are the EXACT same reasons that folks used to say that there was no defense in the Big12... because our offenses were more advanced.  You're correct in that mizzou and aggy were "pretty good" big12 teams. On the other hand, they were perennial .500 teams that never accomplished much of anything here... Not in the last 15 yrs anyway. Forgive us for finding it a bit telling that they show up in a conference with supposed "superior athleticism and physicality" and immediately start competing for championships with their lesser Big12 caliber athletes. 

It's hard not to at least keep a peripheral eye on mizzou as they were long time rivals since the days of the Big6, Big7, Big8 and finally Big12. Take a look at their schedule from last year. They were a decent defensive team, but their schedule was loaded with all the little sisters of the poor by SEC standards.  They got aggy at home and your offense was the only other real challenge I see on their schedule.  Am I missing something?

bears are fast...

Offline AU_Tigers

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 15, 2014, 07:19:37 PM »

Offensively for KSU:

Defensively for KSU:

I liked this analysis, it is pretty much how I read it. I have an extra dimension to look at though that I think will be something to watch. Ellis Johnson, our DC, is a pretty good schemer and excels at getting the most bang for the buck with the players on the field. Having watched the I state game I am impressed with your o line's pass protection, and CEJ will be fully aware of our deficiencies in the secondary so I will be watching for blitz schemes to bring pressure on Waters. If we can consistently rush his passes then we will win. If we cannot........?

I will not discuss our offense because it will score points.

A previous poster mentioned that we might need to bring Johnson in if we are down big; that is BS. While I do expect to see Johnson in from time to time, Marshall will be the QB. Period. 

Offline FadeMeAU

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 15, 2014, 07:33:16 PM »

I was going strictly from memory but, if memory serves, I seem to remember the pre-game hype for the Cotton was that pig aggy led the SEC in offense in '12... Correct me if I'm wrong, I just don't feel like looking it up.

Here's where the hype really comes from: The SEC and ESPN are in bed together. 

Literally ALL of what you are saying about why the SEC defenses haven't looked so good lately are the EXACT same reasons that folks used to say that there was no defense in the Big12... because our offenses were more advanced.  You're correct in that mizzou and aggy were "pretty good" big12 teams. On the other hand, they were perennial .500 teams that never accomplished much of anything here... Not in the last 15 yrs anyway. Forgive us for finding it a bit telling that they show up in a conference with supposed "superior athleticism and physicality" and immediately start competing for championships with their lesser Big12 caliber athletes. 

It's hard not to at least keep a peripheral eye on mizzou as they were long time rivals since the days of the Big6, Big7, Big8 and finally Big12. Take a look at their schedule from last year. They were a decent defensive team, but their schedule was loaded with all the little sisters of the poor by SEC standards.  They got aggy at home and your offense was the only other real challenge I see on their schedule.  Am I missing something?

After thinking about it, it was probably the '11 Hogs that you played in that Cotton Bowl. That offense was pretty good. That was before Petrino's Harley ride to hell.

On the defensive argument, I don't blame you for being skeptical because, from your view, two mediocre teams have become serious contenders in a different league. From my point of view, they have brought a different style to the SEC that is proving to be very difficult to stop for the once vaunted defenses. Bama, UGA, UF, and LSU have all had issues recently stopping these spread offense teams. Auburn hasn't had a great defense since Tuberville left in 2008. It is very strange because 4-5 years ago scoring 30 in an SEC game almost guaranteed you a win. Now, you better score 40+ because the other offenses are much better. I think the pace has something to do with it and that being a big adjustment for the SEC, but that's not a good reason for the lack of production. There hasn't been a dominant defense in the SEC since 2011 Bama and LSU.

There's no way to stop the hype machine. Too much money is involved now. But reasonable discussions like these at least puts that hype aside somewhat.

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 15, 2014, 07:50:55 PM »
Have enjoyed our discourse, FadeMe...  Now, get your ass into the degnerates thread and post your "winners" so we can start fading!!

:drool:

** you're correct... brain fart.  it was '11 pig aggy.
bears are fast...

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 15, 2014, 08:24:52 PM »
I can't believe I skimmed this whole thread.