Author Topic: Burger King, eh?  (Read 8614 times)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Burger King, eh?
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2014, 03:10:25 PM »
Seems ironic that Republicans are saying the U.S. should emulate Canada. Yes, it is ironic that Canada has better corporate tax policy than we do. Not sure what the "Republican" part is all about.

But it's also ironic that Republicans are suing Obama over implementing something they wanted to happen. It has nothing to do with the particular law. Republicans are suing Obama for changing a law in blatant violation of the Constitution he took an oath to uphold and protect. That's not ironic - it's Civics 101, and it's sad that a Court ruling is necessary to define the seperation of powers.

And I also find it ironic for Republicans to complain about golf. I think "mocking" is a more appropriate word. For example:

See? It's funny, and if you're stuck with a Dithering Weakling for another 2 years, he might as well provide some comic relief. Since we can't fix the 2012 mistake, the best thing for the country at this point would be to just continue paying Obama's salary and the Air Force One and Security tab for him to take permanent vacation until 2016.

10,000 spoons and such, I guess. I guess.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 03:19:41 PM by K-S-U-Wildcats! »
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2014, 03:34:46 PM »
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/many-vacation-days-u-s-presidents-take/

President Barack Obama as of Friday has spent all or part of 138 days on vacation, less time away from the White House than his predecessors. Here’s a look at how they compare. The totals exclude trips to the Camp David presidential retreat in Maryland mountains.

GEORGE W. BUSH: During eight years in the White House, spent all or part of 490 days at his ranch in Crawford, Texas.
BILL CLINTON: During two terms in office, used all or part of 174 days for vacation. Of those, 100 days were summers either in Martha’s Vineyard, Massachusetts, or Jackson Hole, Wyoming.
RONALD REAGAN: During two terms, spent all or part of 349 days at his ranch in Santa Barbara, California.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2014, 03:53:08 PM »
From what I have seen, it really looks like most corporations are actually paying about 20%. I'm not sure if that is more or less than what Canadians are paying, but it's probably less. Maybe Burger King needs better accountants and lobbyists, though I'm sure fast food is pretty tough to lobby.

This is study is pretty interesting, if accurate.

http://www.ctj.org/corporatetaxdodgers/sorrystateofcorptaxes.php

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2014, 03:56:49 PM »

President Barack Obama as of Friday has spent all or part of 138 days on vacation, less time away from the White House than his predecessors. Here’s a look at how they compare. The totals exclude trips to the Camp David presidential retreat in Maryland mountains.

GEORGE W. BUSH: During eight years in the White House, spent all or part of 490 days at his ranch in Crawford, Texas.
BILL CLINTON: During two terms in office, used all or part of 174 days for vacation. Of those, 100 days were summers either in Martha’s Vineyard, Massachusetts, or Jackson Hole, Wyoming.
RONALD REAGAN: During two terms, spent all or part of 349 days at his ranch in Santa Barbara, California.

So time at Camp David is not included as "vacation", but time at home is? The comparison is meaningless. Obama plays a crap ton of golf because he likes to hang out on the links with other celebrities.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2014, 04:03:09 PM »
The golf discussion makes the angry side look very ignorant and conservativetalkshowcaller'ey.  Sure, the job is very important, and for that reason I would rather have a guy adequately manage stress as a human being than be a burnout stressed up and fully in control of the greatest military ever.

Offline illBisonYourdele

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2014, 04:04:43 PM »

So time at Camp David is not included as "vacation", but time at home is? The comparison is meaningless. Obama plays a crap ton of golf because he likes to hang out on the links with other celebrities.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2014, 04:05:49 PM »
The golf discussion makes the angry side look very ignorant and conservativetalkshowcaller'ey.  Sure, the job is very important, and for that reason I would rather have a guy adequately manage stress as a human being than be a burnout stressed up and fully in control of the greatest military ever.

The "relaxation is important" is definitely the funniest defensive talking point.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2014, 04:10:57 PM »
I absolutely care more about legalizing gay marriage than lowering the corporate tax rate. Pretty much everyone should because it's a civil rights issue.

Protip: give up the fight against gay marriage (and other "meaningless" issues) and I bet more people would be willing to listen to fiscal conservative ideas.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2014, 04:15:21 PM »

The "relaxation is important" is definitely the funniest defensive talking point.

Why? 

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2014, 04:16:29 PM »

I think 30 vacation days per year is probably enough.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2014, 04:16:48 PM »
I absolutely care more about legalizing gay marriage than lowering the corporate tax rate. Pretty much everyone should because it's a civil rights issue.

Yeah, but the states supreme courts are starting to take care of this issue.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2014, 04:17:31 PM »

Sure.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2014, 04:18:26 PM »

But that's 180 days over 6 years!!!!!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2014, 04:19:53 PM »

Well compare that to what Bush took.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2014, 04:25:52 PM »

Yeah, especially since most people are intelligent enough to understand that presidential vacations aren't anything like normal people vacations and relaxation is probably pretty minimal

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2014, 04:34:34 PM »

Yeah, especially since most people are intelligent enough to understand that presidential vacations aren't anything like normal people vacations and relaxation is probably pretty minimal

I like to picture Obama spending his "vacation" days HAF while watching Lost and BrBad on netflix

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2014, 04:40:08 PM »
some type of pun on whopper

Have it Your Eh

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2014, 04:43:00 PM »

Bush spent his working vacations at home in Texas or Maine, not taking over entire 5 star hotels around the world.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2014, 04:46:17 PM »

Bush spent his working vacations at home in Texas or Maine, not taking over entire 5 star hotels around the world.

Yeah, 61 business days per year.

Offline Paul Moscow

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2014, 04:52:18 PM »
EVENT, October 10, 1981 -- The funeral of assassinated Egyptian President Anwar Sadat.

October 10, 1981 -- Reagan went horseback riding at Camp David.

EVENT, August 29, 1983 -- Two Marines were killed and 14 wounded in Beirut.

August 29, 1983 -- Reagan remained on vacation at Rancho Del Cielo, California.

EVENT, September 1, 1983 -- Reagan was still on vacation in California when the Soviets shot down Korean Airlines Flight 007.

September 1, 1983 -- According to Fox News Channel's Chris Wallace, as well as contemporaneous accounts, Reagan planned to remain on vacation until he was photographed horseback riding and was convinced to return to the White House.

FOX NEWS CHANNEL'S CHRIS WALLACE: I was covering Ronald Reagan at that time. He was in Santa Barbara at his ranch when that happened, and quite frankly he didn't want to leave. And his advisers realized how terrible this looked, and eventually persuaded him he had to fly back to Washington and had to give this speech to the nation, but it did take him four days.

EVENT, October 22, 1983 -- The administration began planning its military incursion into Grenada.

October 22, 1983 -- Reagan remained on vacation at the Augusta National Golf Club in Georgia. Repeat: golf resort. Here are three strikingly presidential photos from Augusta -- the golf resort! First, Reagan in his jammies being briefed on the Grenada plans, then, later hitting the links.

President Reagan was still on vacation at the GOLF! resort the next day when the Marine barracks in Beirut were bombed, killing 241 Marines.

EVENT, July 18, 1984 -- 21 people were killed and 19 wounded when a gunman entered a San Ysidro, California McDonald's and opened fire.

July 21, 1984 -- On the day when many of the gun massacre victims were to be buried, Reagan went horseback riding at Camp David.

EVENT, September 5, 1986 -- The Pakistani military stormed the hijacked Pan Am Flight 73. Twenty-two people were killed, including two Americans, and 150 were injured.

September 6, 1986 -- Again, while on vacation at his California ranch, Reagan went horseback riding with the First Lady and was photographed with a "Just Say No" sign.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2014, 04:59:05 PM »
As far as I'm concerned any president can take off 365 days a year as long as they have a cell phone and internet access. Good grief, it isn't 1812.

Offline Paul Moscow

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2014, 05:11:03 PM »
As far as I'm concerned any president can take off 365 days a year as long as they have a cell phone and internet access. Good grief, it isn't 1812.

yeah and regarding it being actual "vacation" I'm going to go with Nancy Reagan on this one, "Presidents don't get vacations — they just get a change of scenery. The job goes with you."

Offline Jabeez

• Combo-Fan
  • #Currie4USPrez
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2014, 05:26:30 PM »
So corporate taxes... Suck for non large lobbying industries, yeah.  If you have lots of money and lobbyists,  loopholes!

Offline Paul Moscow

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2014, 05:28:02 PM »
So corporate taxes... Suck for non large lobbying industries, yeah.  If you have lots of money and lobbyists,  loopholes!

Pretty cool for people like Rick Perry also cause he'll be like president of calculators or something at Texas Industries when he loses the presidency again.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2014, 05:35:59 PM »

yeah and regarding it being actual "vacation" I'm going to go with Nancy Reagan on this one, "Presidents don't get vacations — they just get a change of scenery. The job goes with you."

Yes, Nancy Reagan said it very well.