Author Topic: Burger King, eh?  (Read 8489 times)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Burger King, eh?
« on: August 26, 2014, 10:55:54 AM »
Another major corporation flees the U.S. over the oppressive corporate tax structure that won't be fixed as long as America keeps electing "progressives" to the WH. Apparently, Canada is a much more business-friendly environment than the U.S. (must be the socialized medicine, amiright?). And Warren Buffet (that rich guy all the libtards loved, at least for a short period during the '12 campaign) is behind the move. What a hoser.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/warren-buffett-to-help-finance-burger-kings-takeover-of-tim-hortons-1409012196

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/08/25/burger-king-is-mulling-a-move-to-canada-for-breakfast-and-lower-taxes/

And a senator is now calling for us to boycott Burger King (because it's way easier to punish the evil business as opposed to, say, reforming our tax code). Very Atlas Shrugged'esque.

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2014/08/26/dem-senator-calls-for-boycott-of-burger-king-tells-consumers-to-eat-at-wendys-white-castle/

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Burger King, eh?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 10:58:12 AM »
Burger Kings stinks. I wouldn't eat there if they were headquartered in my back yard.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 11:08:57 AM »
What is the solution, K-S-U? Would you be in favor of lowering the corporate tax rate below 30% and cutting back on the loopholes and deductions?

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 11:28:40 AM »
I haven't been to BK in years and this assures I won't ever go there.

Online john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 11:39:00 AM »
What's wrong with a company doing what is best for the company? California is losing companies to Texas and other more business friendly states at a breakneck pace and nobody is threatening boycotts.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 11:54:34 AM »
What's wrong with a company doing what is best for the company? California is losing companies to Texas and other more business friendly states at a breakneck pace and nobody is threatening boycotts.

What's wrong with deciding to skip a restaurant that makes $$ in America but doesn't pay taxes?

Online Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 12:04:12 PM »

What's wrong with deciding to skip a restaurant that makes $$ in America but doesn't pay taxes?

Neither is wrong.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 12:06:41 PM »
Lots of folks here would be tickled pink if Texas would take more tech companies at a "breakneck pace".

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 12:09:11 PM »
How many neocons do you think will dine only at burger king now just to stick it to obama
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 12:10:34 PM »
Lots of folks here would be tickled pink if Texas would take more tech companies at a "breakneck pace".

Yeah, San Francisco things.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 12:18:47 PM »
And California has been doing just fine with job growth, it seems like it would be silly to get into a bidding war with Texas or Idaho or Colorado.

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/laus.nr0.htm

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 12:29:52 PM »
And California has been doing just fine with job growth, it seems like it would be silly to get into a bidding war with Texas or Idaho or Colorado.

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/laus.nr0.htm

I would be curious what the average income is for all of the new jobs in California and Texas.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 12:34:56 PM »
yeah, you should look for that

Offline Paul Moscow

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2014, 12:35:26 PM »
I was just reading about this today and its remarkable how little of an impact the california vs texas jobs battle has actually had relative to the media attention its given - especially in conservative circles - reflective first in the lack of a difference between the two states:

The policy group Good Jobs First, which is critical of such incentives, found that the net gain of jobs from relocations to Texas amounted to about 0.03% each year. A similar 2005 study by the Public Policy Institute of California found that, even when California was losing the most jobs to other states, those losses amounted to less than one-tenth of 1% of total jobs.

And if Texas has been as successful as Perry claims then he'd probably see the Enterprise Fund renewed,

Texas' efforts to attract businesses date to 2003, when the state nearly lost a bid for Toyota to build a manufacturing plant in San Antonio. Perry convinced legislators that the state needed extra sweeteners to compete.

Toyota made it clear that incentives had little if anything to do with plans to move the firm's North American headquarters from Torrance to Plano, Texas. Lawmakers that year allocated nearly $300 million from the state's rainy day fund to create the Texas Enterprise Fund. At the time, Texas was facing a budget shortfall for Medicaid and the Children's Health Insurance Program, and critics charged that starving those programs would have a greater economic effect on the state.

As the money flowed, Perry's office had ample fodder for speeches and news releases. A major early grant of $40 million went to Sematech, an Austin computer chip research company that agreed not to shift jobs to Albany, N.Y.

Perry credited the Enterprise Fund for other major corporate expansions by Texas Instruments, Citgo and Dow Chemical.

But as the years went by — and some companies missed deadlines for promised job creation — legislators and advocacy groups raised questions.

A 2010 report from a government watchdog group, Texans for Public Justice, analyzed 50 Enterprise Fund projects that had job creation targets in 2008 and 2009. The group found that two-thirds of the projects either had failed to meet job goals, had employment targets reduced or had contracts canceled by the state

One of those cancellations was Calabasas-based Countrywide Financial, which received $20 million in 2004 from the Enterprise Fund — an award that Perry called the "crowning jewel" of the program. When the high-risk mortgage lender collapsed in mid-2008 and was acquired by Bank of America, it had failed to meet job-creation goals and ended up paying back only a fraction of Texas taxpayers' money.

The same 2010 report found that the so-called clawback penalties amounted to only about 1% of the total disbursements for firms that failed to meet job-creation goals.

Over the last two years, as Perry's tenure nears an end, legislators have called the fund a prime example of skewed marketplace incentives. Lawmakers last year chose not to approve additional money.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 12:35:47 PM »
when it comes to fast food, i only buy american.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2014, 12:45:53 PM »
when it comes to fast food, i only buy american.

You're missing out.  Taco Bueno is great.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2014, 12:49:40 PM »
California UE rate is almost double Texas. They've had net zero job growth since '07. But yeah, great sitch there in Cali.

Graph does a great job of pointing out how it's the same or better as Texas. Real service to its impoverished readers and their monthly rent equal to 60% of their take home pay

Some of you people have bad mental retardation. If Canada is poaching business,  we've got a real problem
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2014, 01:12:55 PM »
What is the solution, K-S-U? Would you be in favor of lowering the corporate tax rate below 30% and cutting back on the loopholes and deductions?

I'd be in favor of electing Romney/Ryan and a Senate Republican majority and letting them implement their tax plan. Can we have a do over on 2012?
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Paul Moscow

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2014, 01:18:03 PM »
California UE rate is almost double Texas. They've had net zero job growth since '07. But yeah, great sitch there in Cali.

Graph does a great job of pointing out how it's the same or better as Texas. Real service to its impoverished readers and their monthly rent equal to 60% of their take home pay

Some of you people have bad mental retardation. If Canada is poaching business,  we've got a real problem

Latest figures from Bureau of Labor Statistics (July 2014)

In July, 15 states had statistically significant over-the-month changes in employment, 14
of which were increases. The largest statistically significant job gains occurred in Texas
(+46,600), California (+27,700), and Michigan (+17,900). The only statistically significant
job decrease occurred in Maryland (-9,000).

Over the year, 30 states had statistically significant changes in employment, all of which
were positive. The largest over-the-year job increase occurred in Texas (+396,200), followed
by California (+323,600) and Florida (+208,500). (See table D.)

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2014, 01:27:47 PM »

I'd be in favor of electing Romney/Ryan and a Senate Republican majority and letting them implement their tax plan. Can we have a do over on 2012?

No, it doesn't work that way.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2014, 01:32:32 PM »

Darn. So I guess we're stuck with crap tax policy unless Americans wise up and start electing fiscal conservatives to the WH. But, on the plus side, it's so much more relevant to have a president who dances on Ellen's show, plays a lot of golf, and (currently) supports gay marriage. Yay! Our president is cool, not-white, and beloved by the world!! And in 2016 we get to vote for The First Woman President!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2014, 01:33:55 PM »

Darn. So I guess we're stuck with crap tax policy unless Americans wise up and start electing fiscal conservatives to the WH. But, on the plus side, it's so much more relevant to have a president who dances on Ellen's show, plays a lot of golf, and (currently) supports gay marriage. Yay! Our president is cool, not-white, and beloved by the world!! And in 2016 we get to vote for The First Woman President!

Would you be in favor of lowering the corporate tax rate to 28% and cutting deductions and loopholes?

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2014, 02:04:43 PM »
ONE NEW WORLD ORDER UNDER CHICKEN FRIES

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2014, 02:05:19 PM »
But, on the plus side, it's so much more relevant to have a president who dances on Ellen's show, plays a lot of golf, and (currently) supports gay marriage. Yay! Our president is cool, not-white, and beloved by the world!! And in 2016 we get to vote for The First Woman President!

enjoyed reading this

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2014, 02:12:46 PM »
But, on the plus side, it's so much more relevant to have a president who dances on Ellen's show, plays a lot of golf, and (currently) supports gay marriage. Yay! Our president is cool, not-white, and beloved by the world!! And in 2016 we get to vote for The First Woman President!

enjoyed reading this

golf