Author Topic: StL County Cops Shoot Teen  (Read 235601 times)

Offline gatoveintisiet

• Combo-Fan
  • the maverick
    • View Profile
Re: StL County Cops Shoot Teen
« Reply #1725 on: September 04, 2014, 03:42:18 PM »
Bomani Jones' take on how blacks are viewed by everyone

His entire podcast is excellent, but the relevant portion of the podcast can be heard from 33:20-54:02. He does a podcast every week, he is contractually obligated to not talk sports so it's pop culture themed.

This guy sounds like a really angry dumbass, anyway Mir let's talk racism for a moment, say a white dude is watching tv news at home and there are reports of blacks being violent downtown (shootings, muggings, etc.) and this dude goes downtown later for a movie, he does not feel he is racist by the way, he parks his car and is walking down the street to the theatre when he sees a group of blacks clowning around on the sidewalk 50 yards in front of him, he crosses the street to avoid coming in contact with them because he doesn't know if they are good guys or bad guys and doesn't want to risk finding out.  Is he racist because he does this?  I asked this guy why he did it and he said look, I would have probably been safe to keep walking straight ahead, but it is just not worth it on small chance I'm wrong.  This is the real problem as I see it, people don't cross the street to avoid a pack of old black church ladies because old black church ladies aren't on the news committing crimes, so it really isn't about skin color.  Its about a percentage of a demographic acting badly, so if you want to end this profiling (not skin color related) that demographic needs to clean up its act because its on them, the entire demo gets treated like the percentage of bad actors because people don't have time to get to know every individual that they come in contact with to determine if they are a good person or not.

This exact question/sitch could be related about any group of certain aged men/boys of any color and any group of old church ladies of any color.  Men/boys of a certain age are more likely to cause trouble than church ladies are.  I don't think we solved anything here.
You are exactly right, white people don't hate pigment, they like everybody else try to avoid bullshit, sucks if you look like a bullshitter, but the real answer is reputation management.
You are dipping into the Kool Aid and you don't even know what flavor it is.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: September 04, 2014, 03:45:07 PM »

His entire podcast is excellent, but the relevant portion of the podcast can be heard from 33:20-54:02. He does a podcast every week, he is contractually obligated to not talk sports so it's pop culture themed.

This guy sounds like a really angry dumbass, anyway Mir let's talk racism for a moment, say a white dude is watching tv news at home and there are reports of blacks being violent downtown (shootings, muggings, etc.) and this dude goes downtown later for a movie, he does not feel he is racist by the way, he parks his car and is walking down the street to the theatre when he sees a group of blacks clowning around on the sidewalk 50 yards in front of him, he crosses the street to avoid coming in contact with them because he doesn't know if they are good guys or bad guys and doesn't want to risk finding out.  Is he racist because he does this?  I asked this guy why he did it and he said look, I would have probably been safe to keep walking straight ahead, but it is just not worth it on small chance I'm wrong.  This is the real problem as I see it, people don't cross the street to avoid a pack of old black church ladies because old black church ladies aren't on the news committing crimes, so it really isn't about skin color.  Its about a percentage of a demographic acting badly, so if you want to end this profiling (not skin color related) that demographic needs to clean up its act because its on them, the entire demo gets treated like the percentage of bad actors because people don't have time to get to know every individual that they come in contact with to determine if they are a good person or not.

This exact question/sitch could be related about any group of certain aged men/boys of any color and any group of old church ladies of any color.  Men/boys of a certain age are more likely to cause trouble than church ladies are.  I don't think we solved anything here.
You are exactly right, white people don't hate pigment, they like everybody else try to avoid bullshit, sucks if you look like a bullshitter, but the real answer is reputation management.

This is a good point.  I'll work on some mock ups and present this to the black leadership in our meeting later this month.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: September 04, 2014, 03:53:25 PM »
Reputation Mgnt?  What?

It has to do with actual odds and percentages.  You are more likely to be disturbed by those with the physical ability to do so, and if you actually see a hint of behavior that makes you think such a thing is possible, you play the safe hand against the percentages.   Unless you want church ladies, or little girls, or invalids, or whatever to suddenly be as able to disrupt your day as a group of young males, then this will always be the same. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: September 04, 2014, 04:02:51 PM »

Are you asking seriously? No, crossing the street doesn't make you racist, stereotyping isn't always racism. Wanting an entire race to account for the actions of individuals is a different story. I'm guessing you don't assume all white men are child rapists and you'd likely take exception to society assuming that you're going to kidnap and rape any kid you see because most child rapists are white dudes.

Anyway if you think Bomani Jones is a dumbass you're just too stupid to understand the conversation. There are arguments to be had but what you mentioned isn't it. You hearing that and your reaction to it being worried about how racism effects white people lets me know that it isn't productive to further this conversation with you. I have no interest in discussing how pointing out racism against minorities negatively hampers the progress of white men.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 04:31:26 PM by MakeItRain »

Offline gatoveintisiet

• Combo-Fan
  • the maverick
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: September 04, 2014, 05:52:34 PM »
no surprise mir.  To make the point more simple, If my kid goes to school and acts like an bad person that reflects badly on my family because he carries my name, so I am going to punish him and encourage him to not act like an bad person again because of the way it reflects on him and our family.  What I am not going to do is try to find blame with the school or other kids to excuse his assholish behavior.  Now if a lot of kids that look like mine continuously act like assholes, it will come as no surprise to me that they are looked at as a group of assholes even if a lot of them are innocent of assholitry.  So obviously as parents and teachers we can't accept this kind of behavior. 

Offline Headinjun

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: September 04, 2014, 06:41:48 PM »
no surprise mir.  To make the point more simple, If my kid goes to school and acts like an bad person that reflects badly on my family because he carries my name, so I am going to punish him and encourage him to not act like an bad person again because of the way it reflects on him and our family.  What I am not going to do is try to find blame with the school or other kids to excuse his assholish behavior.  Now if a lot of kids that look like mine continuously act like assholes, it will come as no surprise to me that they are looked at as a group of assholes even if a lot of them are innocent of assholitry.  So obviously as parents and teachers we can't accept this kind of behavior.

Nobody's asking you to talk to the assholes that look like you, so why set a different standard for others ?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: September 04, 2014, 07:18:23 PM »
The hell are you talking about? 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline gatoveintisiet

• Combo-Fan
  • the maverick
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: September 04, 2014, 08:03:05 PM »

Mir posted about some dude that is mad because he says everybody hates black people and that is because they are racists, my point is maybe its not because they are black but instead because of a proclivity toward assholeism. 

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: September 04, 2014, 10:47:38 PM »
what

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: September 04, 2014, 11:11:24 PM »

Mir posted about some dude that is mad because he says everybody hates black people and that is because they are racists, my point is maybe its not because they are black but instead because of a proclivity toward assholeism.
Ohhhh.  Ok, gotcha.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: September 04, 2014, 11:16:58 PM »
Kind of a weird decision by whatever mod made it to where it shows "bad person" whenever tubesock uses the n-word.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: September 04, 2014, 11:22:56 PM »

You seriously may be the stupidest person on this board. It is amazing that you missed his point that badly. Maybe listen again without victimizing the poor poor white man, actually don't listen again, go watch sponge bob or some crap you may actually grasp.

Kind of a weird decision by whatever mod made it to where it shows "bad person" whenever tubesock uses the n-word.

:surprised:

Offline gatoveintisiet

• Combo-Fan
  • the maverick
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: September 05, 2014, 01:11:21 AM »

You seriously may be the stupidest person on this board. It is amazing that you missed his point that badly. Maybe listen again without victimizing the poor poor white man, actually don't listen again, go watch sponge bob or some crap you may actually grasp.

:surprised:
I think you are confused, i don't really care about what that guys podcast was about, my posts had to do with what is behind what people mistakenly call racism that really is society rebuking bad behavior.  I posted it here because this podcaster clearly falls in this category of accusing society of racism when they really just don't want any part of self destructive behavior or its collateral damages.  I think you already know this though and don't really have a way to refute what i'm saying and thats why you resorted to name calling. Nice par Sims.

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: September 05, 2014, 02:41:39 PM »

Tube makes a great point. Black people need to do a better job of ostracizing shitty black people. That includes the way they talk, dress, carry themselves, etc.

Its about a percentage of a demographic acting badly, so if you want to end this profiling (not skin color related) that demographic needs to clean up its act because its on them, the entire demo gets treated like the percentage of bad actors because people don't have time to get to know every individual that they come in contact with to determine if they are a good person or not.

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: September 05, 2014, 02:55:19 PM »

Tube makes a great point. Black people need to do a better job of ostracizing shitty black people. That includes the way they talk, dress, carry themselves, etc.

Its about a percentage of a demographic acting badly, so if you want to end this profiling (not skin color related) that demographic needs to clean up its act because its on them, the entire demo gets treated like the percentage of bad actors because people don't have time to get to know every individual that they come in contact with to determine if they are a good person or not.

Bill Cosby tried this a few years back and was crushed by the media, liberals, and black organizations.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1740 on: September 05, 2014, 02:57:03 PM »
white people do not need to do a better job ostracizing shitty white people because

Offline Paul Moscow

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: September 05, 2014, 03:03:27 PM »

Bill Cosby tried this a few years back and was crushed by the media, liberals, and black organizations.

What is it about republicans that makes them think any social problem can be fixed with just a strong lecture?

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: September 05, 2014, 05:16:47 PM »

What is it about republicans that makes them think any social problem can be fixed with just a strong lecture?

It's only part of the solution.

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: September 05, 2014, 05:53:05 PM »

Nicname, please tell me you're kidding. Please.

Offline gatoveintisiet

• Combo-Fan
  • the maverick
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: September 05, 2014, 06:09:56 PM »
hey I'm just embracing the idea of poster intimidation that this website introduced me too, I don't see how if it works here and everywhere else its used that it won't work in the African American community.  I mean really mir?

Offline Headinjun

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: September 05, 2014, 09:24:10 PM »
Don't make people responsible for the actions of others..

Offline gatoveintisiet

• Combo-Fan
  • the maverick
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: September 05, 2014, 09:35:22 PM »
Don't make people responsible for the actions of others..

I'm not in charge, but have noticed that this is how it seems to work.

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: September 05, 2014, 10:36:09 PM »

Nicname, please tell me you're kidding. Please.
Edit to add: My original quoted post came off pretty callous. It doesn't reflect my feelings on the situation. I have made several posts in this thread with a similar gist to this current one.

It's a hard thing for me to say. Just typing it makes me uncomfortable, but it is part of the solution. It's not excusing others for lumping people into groups or deeming the whole equal to a small minority of people that cause problems.

It's not a one-way street. Cops are going to have to bring about change with in their ranks. Deplorable behavior by police should also be rebuked. They need to be involved in the communities they serve. That means get to know your citizens, develop friendships, relationships, actually live the phrase "protect and serve." But the people in the community have to do their part as well. There should be no tolerance for the small groups of individuals casting a negative light on everyone else. There should be a concerted effort by anyone with pride and sense to distance themselves from anything that would associate them with those causing problems.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 10:41:13 PM by nicname »

Offline williamthewildcat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: September 12, 2014, 12:30:25 PM »
Two men, contractors working in the area, said Brown had his hands up.  Video at the link

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/10/us/ferguson-michael-brown-shooting-witnesses/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

(CNN) -- Two men, shocked at what they saw, describe an unarmed teenager with his hands up in the air as he's gunned down by a police officer.
They were contractors doing construction work in Ferguson, Missouri, on the day Michael Brown was killed.
And the men, who asked not to be identified after CNN contacted them, said they were about 50 feet away from Officer Darren Wilson when he opened fire.
An exclusive video captures their reactions during the moments just after the shooting.
"He had his f**n hands up," one of the men says in the video.

The man told CNN he heard one gunshot, then another shot about 30 seconds later.
"The cop didn't say get on the ground. He just kept shooting," the man said.
That same witness described the gruesome scene, saying he saw Brown's "brains come out of his head," again stating, "his hands were up."
The video shows the man raising his arms in the air -- just as, he says, Brown was doing when he was shot.
The other contractor told CNN he saw Brown running away from a police car.
Brown "put his hands up," the construction worker said, and "the officer was chasing him."
The contractor says he saw Wilson fire a shot at Brown while his back was turned.
The men said they didn't see how the confrontation started.
Police arrest Michael Brown protesters near interstate
Other witnesses also said teen's arms were raised
An attorney for the man who filmed the video says it was recorded 40 seconds after the shooting.
The video gives new insight into the case, which has spurred a Justice Department investigation, national debate and protests over authorities' handling of the case.
The construction workers said they don't live in Ferguson and don't know the Brown family, but their account squares with accounts from several other witnesses of the unarmed African-American teen's shooting death on August 9.
Some witnesses say the teenager assaulted the white officer at the outset and tried to grab his gun; other witnesses say Wilson was the aggressor.
A private autopsy conducted for the Brown family showed that Brown had been shot at least six times, including twice in the head.
A grand jury is hearing the case and will determine whether Wilson will face any charges.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: September 12, 2014, 01:53:40 PM »
awful