Author Topic: StL County Cops Shoot Teen  (Read 235567 times)

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: StL County Cops Shoot Teen
« Reply #1250 on: August 20, 2014, 03:16:12 PM »

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: August 20, 2014, 03:17:37 PM »
You sure? Looks like him to me.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: August 20, 2014, 03:20:43 PM »
You sure? Looks like him to me.

That's Eddie Murphy

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: August 20, 2014, 03:22:31 PM »
I think having an officer killing an unarmed teenager who was jaywalking is also pretty good evidence of department incompetence.
yeah because more facts haven't changed that narrative.

the facts still point to incompetence

Seriously, how madly do you need to get beaten before its justified?

I think putting himself into position to be beaten was a clear sign of incompetence. The officer definitely didn't deserve to be beaten, and the shooting could be entirely justified, but that doesn't mean the overall situation was handled competently. (It obviously wasn't)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: August 20, 2014, 03:23:02 PM »
People that attack police deserve to be shot. Just like people who play with fire deserved to be burned, and people who mess with a bull get the horns, and people that stand on the tracks when the train is coming through get flattened.

One less stupid mother rough rider stupid mother fuckering our country.

I think that people who attack police deserve a taser to the face and/or nutsack - not so sure about being shot to death. I do agree with the overall sentiment that we're down one more violent criminal, but our society has rules that everyone, even law enforcement, needs to abide by.

Not saying he was innocent by any means but this is quite the assumption to make

Did you forget about the whole robbing the convenience store by violently assaulting the shopkeeper thing? That's what I was refering to.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: August 20, 2014, 03:25:14 PM »
Regardless whether wilson goes to jail, he is going to be wrongful-death sued into nothingness, right?

I don't know many city cops with enough assets to care about this type of thing. the dept. should be more worried about it.

The City is getting sued regardless.  I noticed 2 suits filed against Ferguson today, one by the ACLU

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: August 20, 2014, 03:33:19 PM »
I think having an officer killing an unarmed teenager who was jaywalking is also pretty good evidence of department incompetence.

I think putting himself into position to be beaten was a clear sign of incompetence. The officer definitely didn't deserve to be beaten, and the shooting could be entirely justified, but that doesn't mean the overall situation was handled competently. (It obviously wasn't)

Maybe. He was trying to get a couple of kids to stop jaywalking, though. I wouldn't expect or want him to have his nightstick out in case one of them decides to beat him up for that.

Offline slucat

• GIRL ALERT, GIRL ALERT
  • Combo-Fan
  • This SLU, not the city
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: August 20, 2014, 03:34:20 PM »
People that attack police deserve to be shot. Just like people who play with fire deserved to be burned, and people who mess with a bull get the horns, and people that stand on the tracks when the train is coming through get flattened.

I think that people who attack police deserve a taser to the face and/or nutsack - not so sure about being shot to death. I do agree with the overall sentiment that we're down one more violent criminal, but our society has rules that everyone, even law enforcement, needs to abide by.

Not saying he was innocent by any means but this is quite the assumption to make

Did you forget about the whole robbing the convenience store by violently assaulting the shopkeeper thing? That's what I was refering to.

Violent assault might be a stretch.  Did the kid steal the cigars? Looks like it.  Did the shopkeeper make an attempt to stop the shoplifting, ugh, kind of.  Were weapons brandished? Does not appear so.  Were punches thrown? No.

It looked like the guy saw someone (the now murdered kid) not so secretly taking swisher sweets. Tried to step in to prevent kids from leaving, and got pushed/threatened.  Looked more like how a bigger kid intimidates a smaller kid.

Cross post-on the Royals game last night the kid that got the ball signed by Hud; his grandma/older woman sitting next to him was clutching a pack of swisher sweets.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: August 20, 2014, 03:36:03 PM »

This is a much more valid point, I missed that in your previous posting.  But the problem that I see is that you are assuming two rational actors in the scenarios.  There is a lot of training that goes into police work about how to control a situation so that it doesn't escalate.  This cop obviously failed as do MANY cops across the country. 
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: August 20, 2014, 03:42:10 PM »

Maybe. He was trying to get a couple of kids to stop jaywalking, though. I wouldn't expect or want him to have his nightstick out in case one of them decides to beat him up for that.

yes, but it's impossible to know his tone, mannerisms, approach, etc that led up to him getting beat up (allegedly). It seems highly probable he was being overly aggressive given the "crime" he was trying to prevent. I mean yeah ask them to move but if they don't, is it really worth getting out of the car? I don't know what most PDs' SOP for stopping jaywalkers is. Does the Ferguson PD even have such an SOP?

All of this is really hard to determine w/o a police report.

Offline williamthewildcat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: August 20, 2014, 03:42:20 PM »
I've dealt with hundreds of orbital fractures in my day. They are painful and in Polaroids submitted as evidence will look very bad.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: August 20, 2014, 03:45:19 PM »
http://boingboing.net/2014/08/20/officer-go-eff-yourself-says.html

When this is how the Ferguson PD acts IN FRONT OF CAMERAS WITH THE WHOLE WORLD WATCHING, how do you think they act toward their citizens? Jesus Christ.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: August 20, 2014, 03:46:36 PM »
I've dealt with hundreds of orbital fractures in my day. They are painful and in Polaroids submitted as evidence will look very bad.

Yes, if he actually had the kind of fracture now alleged any photos taken a few hours after the event will clearly show a blow'd up eye.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: August 20, 2014, 03:46:49 PM »
The only thing that will ever FIX this is for money to be pumped into these communities so the people living in these areas under these economic conditions can actually make something of themselves and live a life that they have no comprehension of right now. It's basic survival and waiting for the government to toss out the crumbs and getting out of that is next to impossible for any race without more money.  The top 5% had better wake up and re-distribute their ridiculous wealth or the bottom 25% will come after them and take the whole system down eventually.  They wealthy can keep ignoring this but it's coming and they have the power to stop it.  :buh-bye:

:flush:

So what's the alternative?  What's happening now and has been happening for decades is NOT working and it's getting worse.

Are seriously suggesting a redistribution of wealth as a solution to racial inequity? I thought your post was a joke. I brought a set of custom fit Callaway irons and a new Callaway driver on Saturday, far from waiting for government crumbs, and I can't stop people from assigning me a community and assigning me leaders because I'm black.

LOL... come on man. I didn't say that the gov't needed to re-distribute the wealth to black people.  I said.. "anyone". The income/wealth gap is greater than ever and crap WILL hit the fan if something isn't done about it. 

Also, nice clubs and :fanningbrag: buddy.

Sorry for misunderstanding you, I agree that we cannot continue to lose the middle class

Offline Jackstack99EMAW

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: August 20, 2014, 03:49:02 PM »
Violently assault?  He pushed the guy pretty hard but that wasn't really all that violent imo. 

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: August 20, 2014, 03:50:32 PM »

Violent assault might be a stretch.  Did the kid steal the cigars? Looks like it.  Did the shopkeeper make an attempt to stop the shoplifting, ugh, kind of.  Were weapons brandished? Does not appear so.  Were punches thrown? No.

It looked like the guy saw someone (the now murdered kid) not so secretly taking swisher sweets. Tried to step in to prevent kids from leaving, and got pushed/threatened.  Looked more like how a bigger kid intimidates a smaller kid.

Yeah, that wasn't a "violent assault." He only stole cigars and then grabbed the shopkeeper and shoved him back into a display. Only.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: August 20, 2014, 03:51:33 PM »
Violently assault?  He pushed the guy pretty hard but that wasn't really all that violent imo. 

I mean yeah you can technically say he was a violent criminal but his actions in the liquor store were about the weakest violent crimes in history.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: August 20, 2014, 03:53:20 PM »

Yeah, that wasn't a "violent assault." He only stole cigars and then grabbed the shopkeeper and shoved him back into a display. Only.

It was an assault. He scared the guy into giving up the swisher sweets under threat of physical violence.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: August 20, 2014, 03:54:58 PM »

When this is how the Ferguson PD acts IN FRONT OF CAMERAS WITH THE WHOLE WORLD WATCHING, how do you think they act toward their citizens? Jesus Christ.
This is what happened when I clciked on the link:

Boing Boing
404: Nope
:curse:

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: August 20, 2014, 03:56:13 PM »

Boing Boing

https://twitter.com/aclu_mo/status/502181704493432833

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: August 20, 2014, 03:57:46 PM »
Thanks and holy crap!

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: August 20, 2014, 04:01:15 PM »

Boing Boing

https://twitter.com/aclu_mo/status/502181704493432833
Yeah cops like that should be charged. 
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: August 20, 2014, 04:03:16 PM »

Well I agree with the general premise of this without it being all FSDed up. I really don't know why people mess with cops, I can give you about a million reasons why you shouldn't resist, lash out against, or talk back to cops. Can't really think of a good reason for getting chesty with 5-0.

Now I don't think I have posted what I think happened, so here goes. I think Brown was high or drunk or both and I don't mean just a little of weed in his system. Just walking into a store, stealing a handful of swisher sweets, physically engaging the shop keeper, and getting into some sort of altercation with the cop before getting shot seems like an amazingly bold series of crimes for someone without no previous criminal history. No, I do not think that he had a history of committing crimes and not getting caught, he was 6'4" 300 lbs; guys that big don't normally get away with hiding while committing crimes. And obviously, no, with the information we currently have I don't think killing him was justified. Even if he simply got arrested that day, there is no way he would have served time for strong armed robbery, even KSUW could have gotten that pleaded down if he was charged with that in the first place which isn't a slam dunk either.