Author Topic: StL County Cops Shoot Teen  (Read 235600 times)

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: StL County Cops Shoot Teen
« Reply #475 on: August 15, 2014, 11:35:18 AM »
Anybody else feel bad for the poor clerk?

Also, does a box of Swisher Sweets really cost $50?

box(es)
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: August 15, 2014, 11:36:37 AM »
Has there been any official info on number of hits to Brown and location?
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: August 15, 2014, 11:36:57 AM »
Based upon what the police are saying, I think the first shot was justified, and if he had killed the kid with that shot, it's self defense. It's getting out of the car and shooting him while he's running away that constitutes murder.

Exclusive picture of Brown running away after the cop killed him.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: August 15, 2014, 11:39:23 AM »
Amazing how quickly the story can change as facts come to light. So anyone still believe the friend's "the cop initiated the physical confrontation by grabbing Brown from a seated position in his patrol vehicle" bullshit story?

The only thing this changes is that Dorian Johnson isn't credible but he wasn't the only witness. The cop initiating physical confrontation from inside the vehicle is much more believable than the story that cops told, that Johnson tried to take the cop's gun who was inside of the vehicle. The truth is likely in the middle.

You're reaching now, MIR, really reaching. Stick to the shooting. That's the more questionable act at this point.

I'm reaching by staying the truth lies in the middle of a story told by a police department that hasn't been forthright with anything that happened that day and a story told by a witness who just committed a crime that put these events in motion? Okay, sure :thumbsup:

See bold. That's where you're reaching. Again, stick to the shooting from 35 feet away.

The takeaway line was one you chose not to bold to argue a completely irrelevant point.

Ok, so we're at least moving away from the "the cop started it" bullshit? You're giving up on at least that part of the narrative, right? If so, I'm happy to move on to the "he went for my gun" part of the story.

I don't think I was ever on "the cop started it bullshit." This is a trained police officer whose actions took the life of a person, this isn't a sandbox in 3rd grade, who started it isn't important and it never has been. You have latched onto it because that's really the only ground you have to stand on, you have your basis to call the dead kid a thug, congrats. For the rest of us we are much more interested in how it finished. If Brown pushed the cop it still doesn't justify putting multiple slugs in his back. Protesters don't justify turning an American city into a war zone.

If I was being mean, I'd call you an "illiterate." I have said, repeatedly, that I am skepitcal of the justification for this shooting. I have also said, repeatedly, that Brown very stupidly put himself in a very precarious situation. We should be able to agree on both those points.

The fact that Brown put himself in danger does not excuse the shooting, but it does refute the "black men being hunted in the streets" narrative.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline chuckjames

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: August 15, 2014, 11:39:57 AM »
Dear Chant,
      The word "thug" has been used in our society to describe a certain subset of our society, even when their behavior has not been violent. Therefore it has racist overtones.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: August 15, 2014, 11:44:40 AM »
Amazing how quickly the story can change as facts come to light. So anyone still believe the friend's "the cop initiated the physical confrontation by grabbing Brown from a seated position in his patrol vehicle" bullshit story?

The only thing this changes is that Dorian Johnson isn't credible but he wasn't the only witness. The cop initiating physical confrontation from inside the vehicle is much more believable than the story that cops told, that Johnson tried to take the cop's gun who was inside of the vehicle. The truth is likely in the middle.

You're reaching now, MIR, really reaching. Stick to the shooting. That's the more questionable act at this point.

I'm reaching by staying the truth lies in the middle of a story told by a police department that hasn't been forthright with anything that happened that day and a story told by a witness who just committed a crime that put these events in motion? Okay, sure :thumbsup:

See bold. That's where you're reaching. Again, stick to the shooting from 35 feet away.

The takeaway line was one you chose not to bold to argue a completely irrelevant point.

Ok, so we're at least moving away from the "the cop started it" bullshit? You're giving up on at least that part of the narrative, right? If so, I'm happy to move on to the "he went for my gun" part of the story.

I don't think I was ever on "the cop started it bullshit." This is a trained police officer whose actions took the life of a person, this isn't a sandbox in 3rd grade, who started it isn't important and it never has been. You have latched onto it because that's really the only ground you have to stand on, you have your basis to call the dead kid a thug, congrats. For the rest of us we are much more interested in how it finished. If Brown pushed the cop it still doesn't justify putting multiple slugs in his back. Protesters don't justify turning an American city into a war zone.

If I was being mean, I'd call you an "illiterate." I have said, repeatedly, that I am skepitcal of the justification for this shooting. I have also said, repeatedly, that Brown very stupidly put himself in a very precarious situation. We should be able to agree on both those points.

The fact that Brown put himself in danger does not excuse the shooting, but it does refute the "black men being hunted in the streets" narrative.

I'll agree NOW that Brown put himself in a position he could have avoided, I wasn't going to make that charge without any evidence. You made an assumption that turned out to be correct, I chose not to make an assumption.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: August 15, 2014, 11:45:58 AM »

square that circle a little more for me.  Why do you think its more credible than the cops?  After all, isn't it alleged now that these two used physical intimidation to steal?  Why can't we make the jump that they used the same physical intimidation to threaten a cop and once the confrontation escalated it went to gun grabbing.

Square what circle, did you stop reading before I said the truth is likely in the middle? How in the hell could anyone take a gun from a cop in a car? Either it is in a holster or it was being pointed at Brown. If it was holstered that cop would have to be dead for Brown to reach into the car and get to his hip while seated. If it were pointed at Brown the cop certainly would have squeezed off a round before any struggle for the gun happened.
I thought they were out of the car and there the confrontation continued.  Supposedly Brown was moving away and shot, while the cop maintains the confrontation continued, gun grab, shots etc.  Or am I wrong on the narratives?

I'm not completely sure we know. The eyewitness accounts have the first shot being fired from the car so that would mean the supposed struggle happened there as well.
The police side of the story is that they were out of the car, one of the suspects shoved the police back into the car,  struggle ensued, gun went off, suspects fleed, gunshots, dead.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

So if it happened this way and there was more than one shot fired then the cop has to be charged with murder, right?

If I'm on the jury, I convict him of second degree murder.

You'd have people on the jury with you along with copies of the statutes which would explain to you why it's 1st.

I couldn't justify this as premeditated murder, regardless of what those statutes say.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: August 15, 2014, 11:49:13 AM »
Dear Chant,
      The word "thug" has been used in our society to describe a certain subset of our society, even when their behavior has not been violent. Therefore it has racist overtones.

Oh boy...  :rolleyes: Sounds like "thug" is another "dog whistle." It's crazy how if you go looking for racism, you can find it just about anywhere, even in commonly used english words.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: August 15, 2014, 11:50:13 AM »
Dear Chant,

Oh boy...  :rolleyes: Sounds like "thug" is another "dog whistle." It's crazy how if you go looking for racism, you can find it just about anywhere, even in commonly used english words.

It isn't that crazy

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: August 15, 2014, 11:52:14 AM »

I'll agree NOW that Brown put himself in a position he could have avoided, I wasn't going to make that charge without any evidence. You made an assumption that turned out to be correct, I chose not to make an assumption.

Says the man who accused the cop of "hunting black people in the streets." My assumption "turned out to be correct" because I logically assessed the competing stories (as to who started the fight) without emotional glasses. (Insert Benja "beep boop I am robot")

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: August 15, 2014, 11:52:31 AM »
I couldn't justify this as premeditated murder, regardless of what those statutes say.

Well, it's good you'd be eliminated from the jury with a predetermined position like that. 

Evidence of the cop having Brown in a surrendered state on his knees and with his hands up, and then shooting him until dead would certainly support 1st degree murder.

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/c500-599/5650000020.htm

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: August 15, 2014, 11:55:06 AM »
https://twitter.com/kyssthis16/status/500303440891744256

:dunno:

Same size, same clothes. What are the odds that it was some other huge guy wearing a red Cardinals baseball cap with tall yellow socks and sandals?

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: August 15, 2014, 11:56:41 AM »

Same size, same clothes. What are the odds that it was some other huge guy wearing a red Cardinals baseball cap with tall yellow socks and sandals?

Mocat, run the numbers.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: August 15, 2014, 11:57:30 AM »

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: August 15, 2014, 11:59:12 AM »

Well, it's good you'd be eliminated from the jury with a predetermined position like that. 

Evidence of the cop having Brown in a surrendered state on his knees and with his hands up, and then shooting him until dead would certainly support 1st degree murder.

I think most juries would give him a not guilty verdict, honestly. At least I am convicting him of something.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: August 15, 2014, 12:02:57 PM »

I think most juries would give him a not guilty verdict, honestly. At least I am convicting him of something.

^^^ Hero.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: August 15, 2014, 12:04:56 PM »

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: August 15, 2014, 12:13:46 PM »

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: August 15, 2014, 12:13:59 PM »

https://twitter.com/Collin_MOTimes/status/500282843562795009

Will @K-S-U-Wildcats! walk anything back?

He was just going with the "facts" in that upstanding police departments documents. I say no.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: August 15, 2014, 12:16:41 PM »

https://twitter.com/Collin_MOTimes/status/500282843562795009

Will @K-S-U-Wildcats! walk anything back?

It should be easy to see, if not whether Brown was the robber, to what extent the cops believed he was and when if we could read the report about the shooting.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: August 15, 2014, 12:22:24 PM »
Has gE closed this case yet, or what?  :impatient:

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile