Author Topic: Wild Wildcats in the NFL  (Read 221127 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Wild Wildcats in the NFL
« Reply #550 on: September 28, 2015, 03:57:24 PM »
he's already in my hall, and thats all that really matters

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: September 28, 2015, 10:39:52 PM »
Still pretty crazy even after watching with all these viewing angles.  Seems like it completely relies on the punter doing the most perfectly average kick that Lockett can fake everyone away from while the ball goes to just the right spot that allows Sherman to still sort of pretend to be blocking the gunner at first while running all the way back to field the punt.

http://www.seahawks.com/video/2015/09/28/eye-hawk-richard-sherman-punt-return

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: September 29, 2015, 08:25:11 AM »
Still pretty crazy even after watching with all these viewing angles.  Seems like it completely relies on the punter doing the most perfectly average kick that Lockett can fake everyone away from while the ball goes to just the right spot that allows Sherman to still sort of pretend to be blocking the gunner at first while running all the way back to field the punt.

Why is Sherman so slow? Or is Lockett just that much faster?

Online WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: September 29, 2015, 10:32:06 AM »

There is a lot of running involved.  He has to sprint down with the gunner to block and make sure he can get to where the ball will land in time.  Then he has to return.  He isn't slow, just out of breath. 
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: September 29, 2015, 10:45:40 AM »

Announcer is hilarious: "Wobbly end over end. Tyler Lockett tracks it down...NO IT'S CAUGHT BY SHERMAN!" They are 30 yards apart and he has a birds eye view watching the punt, but he is still fooled!
There is a lot of running involved.  He has to sprint down with the gunner to block and make sure he can get to where the ball will land in time.  Then he has to return.  He isn't slow, just out of breath.

Offline i poo crabs

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: September 29, 2015, 01:05:13 PM »
BJ Finney signed to Steelers practice squad

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: September 29, 2015, 01:08:26 PM »
i don't understand football all that well but i don't get how that happens with the sherman/lockett thing.
are the dudes not paying attention or what?  lockett was on the opposite side of the field from sherm.

Disciplined punt cover teams are taught to go to the return and where the returner sets up and NOT to look up at the football. There was probably a call to where the ball was supposed to be kicked, but they ignore that once they see the returner and return set up on the other side of the field.

I'm sure ST coordinators will have to make an adjustment. I love that the Seahawks stole it from the Rams after getting beat by it last year as well.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: September 29, 2015, 01:22:16 PM »
i don't understand football all that well but i don't get how that happens with the sherman/lockett thing.
are the dudes not paying attention or what?  lockett was on the opposite side of the field from sherm.

Disciplined punt cover teams are taught to go to the return and where the returner sets up and NOT to look up at the football. There was probably a call to where the ball was supposed to be kicked, but they ignore that once they see the returner and return set up on the other side of the field.

I'm sure ST coordinators will have to make an adjustment. I love that the Seahawks stole it from the Rams after getting beat by it last year as well.

How does the returning team predict that the punted ball will go in a way that will make the alternate punt-returner plan work?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: September 29, 2015, 01:41:03 PM »

How does the returning team predict that the punted ball will go in a way that will make the alternate punt-returner plan work?

My assumption is that the Seahawks practiced it for a punt in either direction. Whoever they split out on the other wide cover guy for the Bears was prepped to do the same thing Sherman did if the return was called. Both guys block for a moment and then look up for the ball as they peel back and if the ball is punted to their side they go catch it. Lockett was coached to go the opposite direction of the punt and the rest of the punt return unit just followed him to fake out the Bears' punt cover unit.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: September 29, 2015, 01:44:49 PM »

My assumption is that the Seahawks practiced it for a punt in either direction. Whoever they split out on the other wide cover guy for the Bears was prepped to do the same thing Sherman did if the return was called. Both guys block for a moment and then look up for the ball as they peel back and if the ball is punted to their side they go catch it. Lockett was coached to go the opposite direction of the punt and the rest of the punt return unit just followed him to fake out the Bears' punt cover unit.

Athletic deficiencies aside, I would eff that up every time if I was in a Sherman role.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: September 29, 2015, 01:48:38 PM »
I'm sure other teams have tried it and failed several times, but no one noticed. If the fake out guy can't get back and catch it, he probably peels away from the punt so it doesn't accidentally hit him and no one even notices something was going on.

It is a really good play by Sherman to sell it, get back and catch it, and then return it.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: September 29, 2015, 02:17:57 PM »
It is a really good play by Sherman to sell it, get back and catch it, and then return it.

Yes it was.

I know some team (and this seems like a very Chiefs like thing to do) will attempt this and the guy in the Sherman role will muff the punt

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: September 29, 2015, 02:53:54 PM »
Good for BJ. Kind of surprised he wasn't signed to the PS when final cuts were made after the preseason. He's too good to not be helping a team out.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: September 29, 2015, 03:03:07 PM »
I would guess that they noticed a tendency to kick left, so Lockett lined up accordingly with the intent that the punter would kick away from Lockett. I am probably 60% confident that this is the case. Maybe 55%, so not real confident.
The result going forward will be that Lockett will gain an extra quarter second as the coverage team will now identify and confirm the direction of the punt. 78% confident.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline i poo crabs

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: September 29, 2015, 03:07:52 PM »
Good for BJ. Kind of surprised he wasn't signed to the PS when final cuts were made after the preseason. He's too good to not be helping a team out.

He hurt his ankle on the second to last play of the preseason

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: September 29, 2015, 03:27:19 PM »
I would guess that they noticed a tendency to kick left, so Lockett lined up accordingly with the intent that the punter would kick away from Lockett. I am probably 60% confident that this is the case. Maybe 55%, so not real confident.
The result going forward will be that Lockett will gain an extra quarter second as the coverage team will now identify and confirm the direction of the punt. 78% confident.

Gonna win 'em all!

This is entirely feasible.

However, Lockett is actually lined up even with the punter (on the left hash for the punting team, right hash for him) when the ball is snapped and takes off to his left (the punting team's right) when the ball is punted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0u26Ygv1aU

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: September 29, 2015, 03:33:32 PM »
I had noticed before the game that it was kind of weird that Sherman was in the returners' little mini-hype session.  Good thing in this case only that they didn't @ the bears and tip 'em off.

https://twitter.com/Seahawks/status/648227416402345984

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Trogdor

• Hoodcat
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: October 01, 2015, 06:08:09 PM »
Lockett filmed a whole selfie vid on the seahawks snapstory about his adidas cleats. Its adorbs
@Trogdor_gE

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: October 04, 2015, 01:54:28 PM »
Trim, do you like Lockett more now as a Seahawk than you did as an EMAW?

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: October 04, 2015, 01:58:18 PM »
Trim, do you like Lockett more now as a Seahawk than you did as an EMAW?

Definitely.  I mean he's probably not in my top 15 favorite 'hawks, but as long as I stay away from KSU alumni watch parties, he does a lot more good in my #life as a 'hawk than he ever could as a 'cat.

Can you guess my least favorite 'hawk?

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: October 04, 2015, 02:00:04 PM »
Is it Russel Wilson for not passing to Lockett enough?

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: October 04, 2015, 02:03:53 PM »
Is it Russel Wilson for not passing to Lockett enough?

It is Russell Wilson but it has been since before Lockett was even drafted.