Author Topic: Podcasts  (Read 49066 times)

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Podcasts
« Reply #350 on: June 11, 2020, 10:33:23 AM »
I do miss PAPN and Shutdown Fullcast.

Also I’m hopping on that Onion murder podcast now.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 11, 2020, 03:19:21 PM »
Dying For Sex

:fatty:

It's incredibly interesting, not smutty at all. Essentially it's a woman dying of cancer telling the story about her escapades. It's actually very funny.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: June 11, 2020, 03:23:04 PM »
Dang Kat kid that's a shitload of podcasts.

I usually like to listen to Desus and Mero if I can listen to it within a week

I literally have 93 podcasts on my feed, I usually download 8-10 hours of podcasts each week day. Listening on 1.3 speed is a godsend. Because of this mass, I haven't been listening to the bodega boys as much. Since last fall their podcasts have gotten crazy long, sometimes 2 hours. I won't listen to anything beyond 90 minutes.

The newest podcast I have subscribed to is old but amazing. It's called "A Very Fatal Murder." It's a serial parody from the onion. The episodes are only about 10 minutes each.

I skip the skit at the beginning and the aka's. you might like Meet My Friends the Friends if you like parody shows. Listen in order.

The AKAs are my favorite part. I'll listen to meet me friends. A very fatal murder is my first parody podcast but I'm finishing it this weekend.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 11, 2020, 03:25:51 PM »
Holy crap that's a lot of episodes! If this is about friends and they don't parody the fact that friends is so homogenized while in the middle of new york, I'm going to harm you.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 11, 2020, 03:46:23 PM »
Holy crap that's a lot of episodes! If this is about friends and they don't parody the fact that friends is so homogenized while in the middle of new york, I'm going to harm you.
Eh it's only barely about Friends. They're all less than 15 minutes. Give it a few episodes.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: August 20, 2020, 06:55:37 PM »
I'm two episodes into "Nice White Parents" and of course it's very well done.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/712/nice-white-parents

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: August 20, 2020, 07:01:16 PM »
It's very good, I'll listen to episode 5 tomorrow. I accidentally listened to episode 2 then episode 1, still made sense.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: August 20, 2020, 07:31:28 PM »
i didn’t like it at all

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: August 20, 2020, 10:21:52 PM »
making lil sd listen to million bazillion with me

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: November 20, 2020, 03:12:45 PM »

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: November 20, 2020, 03:22:57 PM »
He had dave Chappelle on this week!
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 06, 2021, 02:14:43 PM »

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 06, 2021, 03:00:03 PM »
I’m at the point now where I just can’t stand any spoken audio that’s supposed to be serious.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 06, 2021, 11:53:28 PM »
I’m at the point now where I just can’t stand any spoken audio that’s supposed to be serious.

It's my quickest turn off if I try any new podcast, if it sounds like I'm listening in on a convo at a restaurant I just shut it off (lazlo aside, but I mostly hit stuff I want to hear). To me a podcast has to have some purpose and some movement and direction.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 07, 2021, 09:45:57 AM »
I like light restaurant conversation so when I zone out it doesn't matter
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 07, 2021, 09:56:17 AM »
How does everyone feel about Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast? I liked the series about WWI and "Ghosts of the OstFront" but the current one about WW2 in the Pacific seems even more rambling and unfocused with him just saying "I'm fascinated by the extremes of the human experience" over and over again.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #366 on: January 07, 2021, 09:58:59 AM »
Same. I grew bored with WW2. Loved the series on Genghis Khan and WW1.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 07, 2021, 10:02:57 AM »
Do podcasters have a script that they work off of? Just notes that they ad lib from? The Mike Duncan Revolutions podcast seems like he is following a script pretty closely but with HH, I have this idea that he is at his desk just randomly picking up books and reading passages out of them and then riffing his thought on it.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 07, 2021, 10:12:13 AM »
Do podcasters have a script that they work off of? Just notes that they ad lib from? The Mike Duncan Revolutions podcast seems like he is following a script pretty closely but with HH, I have this idea that he is at his desk just randomly picking up books and reading passages out of them and then riffing his thought on it.

Mike absolutely has a script. If you want another great podcast, by him and what broke him onto the scene, it's his The History of Rome podcast (I actually relistened again for like the 10th time over December.) In that podcast, specifically his 100th episode question blowout, he kinda goes through his process, but to make it short, yes, he writes everything down and follows it. I have heard him even flip pages sometimes in some of those THOR episodes.

If you do get into that podcast, which is really, really great, and really another big thing for him the decline and fall of the republic, (he has a book out on it), just know that like, the first 10-ish episodes are very short (like 12 minutes) and very rough, he even kinda talks about it in the podcast, but he just kinda started doing it, didn't think it was going to ever get as popular as it did, so he had to update his server/hosting site, audio, etc. I think he even admits in an episode "I was literally learning what to do as I went along"

I will admit compared to other podcasts I've heard, I really, really like that most Mike's episodes are in the 20-35 minute range. Dan Carlin's stuff is so long it's almost daunting to see how long they are. Having the breaks make it more like a compact story and lecture instead of a long drawn out talk.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: January 07, 2021, 10:15:40 AM »
Oh, and if you listen long enough, he was a really funny dry humor that strings throughout many of his episodes, and I think even some of his rome jokes make it into revolutions (his kinda go to villian if someone dies mysteriously is Augustus' wife Livia, had them killed for example)

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: January 07, 2021, 10:23:45 AM »

Mike absolutely has a script. If you want another great podcast, by him and what broke him onto the scene, it's his The History of Rome podcast (I actually relistened again for like the 10th time over December.) In that podcast, specifically his 100th episode question blowout, he kinda goes through his process, but to make it short, yes, he writes everything down and follows it. I have heard him even flip pages sometimes in some of those THOR episodes.

If you do get into that podcast, which is really, really great, and really another big thing for him the decline and fall of the republic, (he has a book out on it), just know that like, the first 10-ish episodes are very short (like 12 minutes) and very rough, he even kinda talks about it in the podcast, but he just kinda started doing it, didn't think it was going to ever get as popular as it did, so he had to update his server/hosting site, audio, etc. I think he even admits in an episode "I was literally learning what to do as I went along"

I will admit compared to other podcasts I've heard, I really, really like that most Mike's episodes are in the 20-35 minute range. Dan Carlin's stuff is so long it's almost daunting to see how long they are. Having the breaks make it more like a compact story and lecture instead of a long drawn out talk.
Agree about shorter being better for most podcasts. I only have about 2 - 3 hr in the car each week when I can really listen.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: January 07, 2021, 12:28:51 PM »
If you like history podcasts I really like the age of Napoleon podcast.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: January 07, 2021, 02:38:52 PM »

It's my quickest turn off if I try any new podcast, if it sounds like I'm listening in on a convo at a restaurant I just shut it off (lazlo aside, but I mostly hit stuff I want to hear). To me a podcast has to have some purpose and some movement and direction.

ya a little pakd when i wrote that, there's plenty of good pods out there, light convos included, but sometimes people just love to hear themselves talk too much or they try to sound too much like experts. actually that tweet mostly reminds me of this spiritual "life coach" that i met - droning on endlessly about nothing. he's also trying to manipulate/con my friend but that's for another thread.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 07, 2021, 02:44:47 PM »

ya a little pakd when i wrote that, there's plenty of good pods out there, light convos included, but sometimes people just love to hear themselves talk too much or they try to sound too much like experts. actually that tweet mostly reminds me of this spiritual "life coach" that i met - droning on endlessly about nothing. he's also trying to manipulate/con my friend but that's for another thread.

lol that's fine. While I can't remember the name of the podcast the very specific example I have in my mind was a podcast my old roommate years ago when I first moved to KC listened to when it was his turn to drive to work. It drove me bananas. It probably took the two hosts the entire drive to work just to get going on whatever topic they wanted to discuss, it was like they had nowhere to go and just shot the breeze for 10-15 minutes and then "oh hey, let's talk about x". Like, start the podcast there, no one needs to know the every little ends of out of the few days you all spent away doing whatever. Drove me mad

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: January 08, 2021, 08:09:23 AM »
idk what you guys use to listen to podcasts but mine has a +15 seconds button that you can just hammer away at until you hear the person's tone change to something that sounds like a real subject is being discussed