Author Topic: Podcasts  (Read 50419 times)

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Podcasts
« Reply #450 on: July 27, 2023, 11:13:55 AM »
I might give it a shot but it sounds like it might require too much focus to listen to while I work.

I need some new podcasts.  How did this get made, the dollop, and comedy bang bang only get me through so much of my work week.  I usually fill some gaps with sports podcasts but I can only stomach so many "Top 10 QB debate" pod episodes in the offseason.

have you listened to the dollop ep about richard jewell? gareth kept doing this ridiculous tom brokaw impression and i was like irl cry laughing

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: July 27, 2023, 11:15:30 AM »
I might give it a shot but it sounds like it might require too much focus to listen to while I work.

I need some new podcasts.  How did this get made, the dollop, and comedy bang bang only get me through so much of my work week.  I usually fill some gaps with sports podcasts but I can only stomach so many "Top 10 QB debate" pod episodes in the offseason.

Odd Lots

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: July 27, 2023, 12:38:16 PM »

RE: the sports podcasts, I can't do any of that crap. It's like listening to someone read me a thread on the Phog Hoops Board.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: July 27, 2023, 02:00:38 PM »

RE: the sports podcasts, I can't do any of that crap. It's like listening to someone read me a thread on the Phog Hoops Board.

What a perfect description
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: July 31, 2023, 09:40:27 AM »

If you like that Scott Aukerman orbit of podcasts (based on CBB/HWTGM), talk to Stevesie.  He's been trying to get me to listen to Hollywood Handbook for like 8 years, but my podcast schedule is pretty full.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #455 on: July 31, 2023, 01:19:42 PM »

The Sloppy Boys
Bananas for Bonanza
Big Grande

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: July 31, 2023, 03:15:31 PM »

If you like that Scott Aukerman orbit of podcasts (based on CBB/HWTGM), talk to Stevesie.  He's been trying to get me to listen to Hollywood Handbook for like 8 years, but my podcast schedule is pretty full.

I've already tried a time or two with ChiCat as well.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: July 31, 2023, 04:13:51 PM »
I'm really liking The Rest is History. Just listened to an engrossing ep about the eruption of Vesuvius in AD79.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: August 01, 2023, 05:30:33 PM »
Dear ChiCat (or anyone looking for a new podcast),

Hollywood Handbook - if you want a sample episode, they interviewed Ben Stiller a couple weeks back who is absolutely the biggest guest they've landed by a lot. And the whole time they just kept asking him if he would help them get Adam Scott get on the show since they work on Severance together. Very Norm MacDonald-esque humor.

Blocks with Neal Brennan - he was the cowriter of Chapelle Show, and has been very open with his struggles with mental health. So he interviews other comedians and really gets into mental health and tendencies. As someone with a psych degree and a love for stand up, this has jumped to the top of my list.

Bad Friends with Andrew Santino and Bobby Lee - just plain fun

Two Bears One Cave with Bert Kreischer and Tom Segura - I think Bert Kreischer is such a spectacle I could just listen to him talk to anyone

Macrodosing - PFT from Pardon My Take and Arian Foster take on subjects from conspiracy theories to The Revolutionary War to cryptids to The Ocean. It's all awesome. The first hour is usually the crew catching up which isn't fun if you don't know the personalities, but it is a really great group of personalities for such a wide array of subjects

Nateland - Nate Bargatze's podcast

Confused Breakfast/The Rewatchables - fun info about movies we've all seen a bunch. Confused Breakfast is three guys mid-late thirties that mostly review movies from their (our) childhood. Then Rewatchables is hosted by Bill Simmons, so even if they were to do the same movie it's a wildly different perspective.

You Made It Weird - Pete Holmes interview show. He can definitely be overwhelming at times, and has a tendency to interrupt his guests when he gets excited. It can be offputting, but his positive attitude/outlook on life is worth the listen.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: August 02, 2023, 03:05:13 PM »
Hadn't listened to TAL for many years. Ira's conversation with David Sedaris (from 2000) encapsulates all of my anxieties about traveling to France next year:

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/165/americans-in-paris

Also includes a fascinating conversation with now-deceased Janet McDonald about living in Paris as an African-American woman.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: August 02, 2023, 03:44:10 PM »

The Best Show with Tom Scharpling. Takes a while to get into it. I often skip the Wurster calls.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: August 02, 2023, 03:53:00 PM »
Hadn't listened to TAL for many years. Ira's conversation with David Sedaris (from 2000) encapsulates all of my anxieties about traveling to France next year:

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/165/americans-in-paris

Also includes a fascinating conversation with now-deceased Janet McDonald about living in Paris as an African-American woman.

I've never felt disrespected in Paris. My advice is to not be a douche.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: August 02, 2023, 03:54:56 PM »
Yeah, everyone was very cool to me in Paris. The key is to show dominance immediately and speak English very slowly and loudly until they get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: August 02, 2023, 03:56:18 PM »
Yes, just walk into a restaurant and immediately ask the waiter to tell you what their whores devores are.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: August 02, 2023, 04:02:57 PM »
The last time I was in Paris, I ducked into a little brasserie and, after having the brie and Cabernet Sauvignon passed to me, interacted with the waitress only in French. It was the first time I had succeeded in conducting a Paris restaurant experience solely in the native tongue. AMA

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: August 02, 2023, 04:24:29 PM »
The last time I was in Paris, I ducked into a little brasserie and, after having the brie and Cabernet Sauvignon passed to me, interacted with the waitress only in French. It was the first time I had succeeded in conducting a Paris restaurant experience solely in the native tongue. AMA
I did the same but at a Starbucks and spoke English because I’m an American and they needed to know who runs things (me).

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: August 02, 2023, 04:31:30 PM »
I did the same but at a Starbucks and spoke English because I’m an American and they needed to know who runs things (me).

I am not surprised to hear this from known America First conservative patriot stevedave.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Podcasts
« Reply #467 on: August 02, 2023, 04:32:04 PM »
Lions led by donkeys can be great however there’s a new show producer that has an annoying accent.

Iran/Iraq war was a great/hilarious series.

The main guy and most of the guests/Co hosts are veterans and they have very funny stories about military history and life

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: August 02, 2023, 05:12:16 PM »

The Best Show with Tom Scharpling. Takes a while to get into it. I often skip the Wurster calls.

This was in the rotation for me 100 years ago.  I'll give it another go.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: August 03, 2023, 07:39:17 AM »

I am not surprised to hear this from known America First conservative patriot stevedave.
I plan to hang out in bistros and tell the staff "if it weren't for us Americans, y'all would be speakin' German right now. Refill my Dr Pepper, ASAP."

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: August 03, 2023, 10:24:13 AM »

I plan to hang out in bistros and tell the staff "if it weren't for us Americans, y'all would be speakin' German right now. Refill my Dr Pepper, ASAP."

Be sure to ask for American cheese wherever you go, and then be shocked when they don't have it.

Offline wELLsculptedbrows

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: August 03, 2023, 10:26:50 AM »

Oh man, I used to just skip to the Wurster calls. Now, I think I appreciate the rest of the show as much (if not more).

Canadian friend of mine called in when another of his comedy heroes was live in studio ... and ... it did not go well.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: August 03, 2023, 04:00:49 PM »

Oh man, I used to just skip to the Wurster calls. Now, I think I appreciate the rest of the show as much (if not more).

Canadian friend of mine called in when another of his comedy heroes was live in studio ... and ... it did not go well.

Entertainingly bad or just bad?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: August 08, 2023, 06:48:46 AM »

This was in the rotation for me 100 years ago.  I'll give it another go.
It's quite a bit different since he's in LA. There's video and more musical guests and maybe more famous guests. He interviewed Nardwuar not long ago!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: August 14, 2023, 01:01:10 PM »

have you listened to the dollop ep about richard jewell? gareth kept doing this ridiculous tom brokaw impression and i was like irl cry laughing
Had never heard of The Dollop until my coworker told me I had to listen to the ep about Typhoid Mary. It was enjoyable.