Author Topic: Israel - Hamas peace process  (Read 56034 times)

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Israel - Hamas peace process
« Reply #450 on: October 09, 2023, 07:21:08 PM »
The appetite for gaining and keeping power has become more important than doing what's best for the people who the government are tasked with protecting.

Well said. As always, I’m skeptical that selfish ambition has ever been less than it is now. That said, it could well be that social stigma has eroded enough that leaders no longer feel that they need to pretend to care about others.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: October 09, 2023, 09:47:03 PM »
The appetite for gaining and keeping power has become more important than doing what's best for the people who the government are tasked with protecting.

Well said. As always, I’m skeptical that selfish ambition has ever been less than it is now. That said, it could well be that social stigma has eroded enough that leaders no longer feel that they need to pretend to care about others.

Yeah, you're right

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: October 10, 2023, 09:55:29 AM »
Several people in this thread gave the same advice for incoming Israeli rocket fire and were mocked, but basically they were just parroting the same advice the actual Israelis give, so maybe they shouldn't have come in for so much criticism.

An Israeli military spokesman on Tuesday offered some advice to Palestinians seeking to flee his country’s bombardment of the Gaza Strip: “get out” through the “open” border with Egypt.

The problem is that the Rafah crossing in the south of the Palestinian enclave was closed, with news outlets reporting that it had been damaged after an Israeli air strike nearby.

The office of military spokesman Lieutenant-Colonel Richard Hecht later issued a clarification while the Israel Defense Forces said there had been “no official call by Israel for residents of the Gaza Strip to exit into Egypt”.

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: October 10, 2023, 09:57:31 AM »
Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., a member on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said in a series of posts on X, formerly known as Twitter, that "Israel has no choice but to seek the complete eradication of Hamas in Gaza."

"There simply is no diplomatic solution or ‘measured response’ available," Rubio wrote on X. "This tragically necessary effort will come at a horrifying price. But the price of failing to permanently eliminate this group of sadistic savages is even more horrifying."

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: October 10, 2023, 10:42:39 AM »
Yikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: October 10, 2023, 12:19:19 PM »
African and Asian nations/factions do this kinda crap to each other all the time and we just stay out of it, right?

If we were 100% energy independent, wouldn’t this just be the same? Wouldn’t we just stay the eff out of it?

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: October 10, 2023, 12:40:23 PM »
Yikes

I'm sure you had the same response when you saw or read about this right?
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12615031/Hamas-terrorists-beheaded-babies-kibbutz-slaughter-IDF-soldiers-reveal-horrific-scenes-carnage-discovered-site-scores-people-massacred.html

Yes,

regardless of how many non combatants die horrifically in this conflict it is all yikes

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: October 10, 2023, 12:46:31 PM »
African and Asian nations/factions do this kinda crap to each other all the time and we just stay out of it, right?

If we were 100% energy independent, wouldn’t this just be the same? Wouldn’t we just stay the eff out of it?
I don't think so.  A lot of Zionist interests here in the states that just don't exist in sub-saharan conflicts (or asian conflicts, for example). 

The oil interests in the middle east definitely play a part in our (the US's) interest in the conflict, but even outside of that, I think we'd still have a particular interest in it just because our old pal Israel is involved.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: October 10, 2023, 01:16:51 PM »
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: October 10, 2023, 01:31:54 PM »

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: October 10, 2023, 01:32:11 PM »
Yikes

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12615031/Hamas-terrorists-beheaded-babies-kibbutz-slaughter-IDF-soldiers-reveal-horrific-scenes-carnage-discovered-site-scores-people-massacred.html

Definitely not any good guys in this one.

Could you elaborate a little on this answer?  Who exactly are not the good guys in this?

Let me help you out on this, as I have been trained in how to read good. The "not the good guys" are any, according to that poster.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: October 10, 2023, 01:48:26 PM »
Yikes

Could you elaborate a little on this answer?  Who exactly are not the good guys in this?

Let me help you out on this, as I have been trained in how to read good. The "not the good guys" are any, according to that poster.

I have to admit, as someone who is also able to read good, I found that question to be a bit weird.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: October 10, 2023, 01:51:14 PM »
Yikes

Thank you soooo much for stepping in and providing clarification on this.  I should never second guess what I think anyone on this board might mean by that broad of a statement.

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: October 10, 2023, 01:53:33 PM »
Yikes

The people killing civilians.

I want to thank you also for your answer.  For a second I thought you might have thrown Israel as "not a good guy".

« Last Edit: October 10, 2023, 02:07:51 PM by I_have_purplewood »

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: October 10, 2023, 01:54:00 PM »
You're very welcome.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: October 10, 2023, 02:26:55 PM »
Yikes

I want to thank you also for your answer.  For a second I thought you might have thrown Israel as "not a good guy".

The Israeli government are most definitely not good guys and have spent generations killing and torturing civilians.

Rubio's quote would have been fine if he stopped at eliminating Hamas. He's clearly advocating for killing all Palestinians in the Gaza Strip of the end result was no more Hamas. That's literally genocide. Unfortunately, no one at all, of any consequence, will check Rubio on that comment. American politicians are falling all over themselves to one up each other in an over the top show of support of Israel. I'm sure another politician will go even farther than Rubio did

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: October 10, 2023, 02:34:38 PM »
I'm curious what advice you all would give to Israel in this situation. What could they do to be 'the good guys'?

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: October 10, 2023, 02:42:16 PM »
Yikes

The Israeli government are most definitely not good guys and have spent generations killing and torturing civilians.

Rubio's quote would have been fine if he stopped at eliminating Hamas. He's clearly advocating for killing all Palestinians in the Gaza Strip of the end result was no more Hamas. That's literally genocide. Unfortunately, no one at all, of any consequence, will check Rubio on that comment. American politicians are falling all over themselves to one up each other in an over the top show of support of Israel. I'm sure another politician will go even farther than Rubio did

So has the United States.  What's your point?

Rubio's quote was a little over the top but they didn't leave Israel with many options?  They are rough ridin' cowards and don't give one crap about life in general.  Not even their own.  Hamas has one goal and that is to eradicate the Jewish state.  There is no bargaining with them.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: October 10, 2023, 02:47:08 PM »
I'm curious what advice you all would give to Israel in this situation. What could they do to be 'the good guys'?

Stop bombing apartment complexes and mosques. Stop running an apartheid state.

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: October 10, 2023, 03:10:32 PM »

End the occupation for one. Stop building illegal settlements for another. Not cut off water, electricity and all means of escape (despite advising people to escape) to 2 million civilians while you are bombing them for another.

Plenty more but those would be a good start.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: October 10, 2023, 03:36:22 PM »
Really hope this guy is wrong:

That I am afraid is where I fear we are - on the brink of a long planned existential conflict, where Israel will be attacked on all fronts and it only needs Israel to pull the trigger for it to begin. The savage murders of children and women was designed to force Israel’s hand. The terror enacted upon innocents  had to be so explicit that Netanyahu - famously reluctant to enter Gaza - would have to do so. And Hamas will gather its citizens and people for their sacrifice for their and Iran’s ultimate goal the erasure of the state of Israel. Israel can win a one front war against Hamas. It can contain a two front war against Hezbollah. It might just endure a three front war in the West Bank. It may not survive a four front war with its domestic Arab population. Everything I fear is designed to bring about the latter

https://twitter.com/Phillip_Blond/status/1711630404132773920?s=20

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: October 10, 2023, 03:48:51 PM »

End the occupation for one. Stop building illegal settlements for another. Not cut off water, electricity and all means of escape (despite advising people to escape) to 2 million civilians while you are bombing them for another.

Plenty more but those would be a good start.

I meant more - what would you do in response to the attacks? I guess the 2nd part kind of answers that.