Author Topic: Picky Eaters  (Read 10772 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Picky Eaters
« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2014, 01:47:23 PM »
When I was a kid, I hated mustard. I probably never had mustard from about age 5 to age 20 or so. Then I tried something with mustard on it by mistake, and by golly I've been enjoying mustard ever since.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2014, 01:48:26 PM »
If you think that you don't like a certain food, you should have Gooch cook it for you. There are many foods that I thought I didn't like until Gooch cooked it for me.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2014, 01:49:24 PM »
If you think that you don't like a certain food, you should have Gooch cook it for you. There are many foods that I thought I didn't like until Gooch cooked it for me.
can gooch cook ketchup?

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2014, 01:49:46 PM »

@Gooch, I'm pretty sure that I don't like brisket. Could you smoke some of that for me to try?

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2014, 01:49:58 PM »
When I was a kid, I hated mustard. I probably never had mustard from about age 5 to age 20 or so. Then I tried something with mustard on it by mistake, and by golly I've been enjoying mustard ever since.

I think children's taste buds are more sensitive, and the extreme flavor overwhelms them. It seems pretty universal that all children hate mustard and all fully formed adults love mustard

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2014, 01:50:28 PM »
Another True Story:  Family friends (have two kids).  Kids are at the ages of ~14 and ~12 or so.  Both kids are such picky eaters that the parents feed them every single time before they come over to my in-laws for dinner.  WNK's Mom-in-law is also an amazing cook and she would even make scratch Mac-N-Cheese with 5 different cheese and stuff like that for the kids.  Kids still won't eat it and parents don't force the kids to try new things.  I mean some of the basic foods that anyone would like if they tried they won't even touch.  It's like frozen chicken strips and Kraft Mac-N-Cheese on the daily for the kids.  Not my kids but drives me nuts cause they come over to the house and play video games while everyone else enjoys a nice dinner and conversation.  At 14, I'd eat the crap out of prime rib.  Nope...not these kids.
This is mostly what I am thinking about in this thread. I have been at someone's house when the 5 year old threw a fit and the dad got up from the table and left and came back with chicken nuggets and french fries from BURGER KING of all places and gave them to the kid before finishing his now cold dinner.

Also, I have seen parents pick up a pizza to go becasue the kid didn't want roast beef for dinner. The kid eats a little cesars and the parents eat roast beef.

Bread, you think that crap is cool?

All I know is I couldn't give a eff what my sister and her husband feed my nephew at Christmas dinner.  I just don't care.  A lot of you sound like excellent Branch Davidians. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2014, 01:50:35 PM »

@Gooch, I'm pretty sure that I don't like brisket. Could you cook some of that for me to try?

:thumbs:

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2014, 01:50:42 PM »
Children are very sensitive to strong flavors/tastes/textures.  As we age we want/enjoy stronger flavors because our sense of taste (smell) is diminishing.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2014, 01:50:53 PM »

and your parents didn't have to tie you to a chair and ram gallons of mustard down your picky little gullet to facilitate the maturing of your tastes?  impossible.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2014, 01:51:09 PM »
can gooch cook ketchup?

He can make some delicious dishes that have ketchup in them.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2014, 01:51:32 PM »
Children are very sensitive to strong flavors/tastes/textures.  As we age we want/enjoy stronger flavors because our sense of taste (smell) is diminishing.

keep your science out of this discussion.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 19, 2014, 01:51:49 PM »
Here's the thing:

I think it's healthy for everyone to try new things, or retry things they don't like from time-to-time.

At the same time:

It's important to try to meet the needs of what people like as best you can, especially in a social setting. For a family with kids, it's important to feed them healthy food and vegetables as much as you can, and at least get them to try new things so they don't look like asshats who refuse to eat green beans because it's icky when they grow up.

Balance, people.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 19, 2014, 01:52:29 PM »
Another True Story:  Family friends (have two kids).  Kids are at the ages of ~14 and ~12 or so.  Both kids are such picky eaters that the parents feed them every single time before they come over to my in-laws for dinner.  WNK's Mom-in-law is also an amazing cook and she would even make scratch Mac-N-Cheese with 5 different cheese and stuff like that for the kids.  Kids still won't eat it and parents don't force the kids to try new things.  I mean some of the basic foods that anyone would like if they tried they won't even touch.  It's like frozen chicken strips and Kraft Mac-N-Cheese on the daily for the kids.  Not my kids but drives me nuts cause they come over to the house and play video games while everyone else enjoys a nice dinner and conversation.  At 14, I'd eat the crap out of prime rib.  Nope...not these kids.
This is mostly what I am thinking about in this thread. I have been at someone's house when the 5 year old threw a fit and the dad got up from the table and left and came back with chicken nuggets and french fries from BURGER KING of all places and gave them to the kid before finishing his now cold dinner.

Also, I have seen parents pick up a pizza to go becasue the kid didn't want roast beef for dinner. The kid eats a little cesars and the parents eat roast beef.

Bread, you think that crap is cool?

All I know is I couldn't give a eff what my sister and her husband feed my nephew at Christmas dinner.  I just don't care.  A lot of you sound like excellent Branch Davidians.
The dude left in the middle of a dinner that they invited my wife and me to attend to GO TO BURGER KING!

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 19, 2014, 01:52:40 PM »
can gooch cook ketchup?

He can make some delicious dishes that have ketchup in them.
deal, @gooch Make me food

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 19, 2014, 01:52:46 PM »
nutPAK is Wednesday night.

That is a really good way to judge athletes, imo. Collin Klein ate those nuts and went back for seconds. Will Spradling refused to even try them, iirc.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 19, 2014, 01:52:54 PM »
i hope mr bread invites me over for dinner sometime so i can order a pizza for dinner while everyone else politely eats whatever mrs bread has prepared. then im going to pull out my ballsack at dinner.

I wouldn't mind if you ordered a pizza as long as you paid for it.  The balls thing will not be okay though.

oh nope sorry mr bread i left my wallet at home do you mind paying for this pizza since im too immature and impolite to eat what your wife has cooked. wait... nvm, i think i found my wallet *pulls out balls*
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 19, 2014, 01:53:06 PM »
I read that your taste buds change every 7 years, so you should try new things at least once every 7 years.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 19, 2014, 01:53:24 PM »
wouldn't force my kids to do things they don't like but if they don't like prime rib I have failed as a man and father

This isn't a 2,3, or 4 time thing.  It has happened many times.  Every meal Mother-in-Law cooks is different with 3+ sides, meat, etc.  Even kickass dessert.  At some point as a parent I would get my kids to try food and teach them that they won't know if they like it if they have never tried it.  (parents won't make them try the food though)  The kids are older than Pre-K.  I've honestly never seen kids so picky in my life.  Plus what they are eating on a regular basis is not very healthy (though the kids are sticks). 

I have no problem with people who honestly do not like certain foods.  Does not bother me.  But being picky because you didn't like it at the age of 5 and you are in your upper 20's and haven't tried it since is ridiculous.  Letting your kids live off of Kraft Mac-N-Cheese and frozen chicken strips is ridiculous, especially if they refuse to try any new food that has graciously been cooked by someone else. 

Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 19, 2014, 01:53:42 PM »
I actually love brisket and just want confirmed BBQ stud Gooch to smoke some for me to go to grub city on.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 19, 2014, 01:53:58 PM »
Who doesn't like lasagna

eff that guy

Did you ever stop to think that perhaps he inquired about something other than lasagna because eating the lasagna would cause agonizing inflammation of his small intestine?

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 19, 2014, 01:54:06 PM »

I think children's taste buds are more sensitive, and the extreme flavor overwhelms them. It seems pretty universal that all children hate mustard and all fully formed adults love mustard
I must be deformed because I hate mustard (but will go ahead and eat my burger that they mumped up rather than drive back across town to take it back).

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 19, 2014, 01:54:37 PM »
Luke 10:8

Offline Headinjun

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 19, 2014, 01:56:10 PM »
I think this all a very first world discussion.

Not a big deal either way.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 19, 2014, 01:56:19 PM »
Who doesn't like lasagna

eff that guy

Did you ever stop to that that perhaps he inquired about something other than lasagna because eating the lasagna would cause agonizing inflammation of his small intestine?

like celiac's? i've asked about other options when I thought a dish would wreak havoc thanks to Crohn's. I usually just end up substituting more of another dish.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 19, 2014, 01:57:14 PM »
I actually love brisket and just want confirmed BBQ stud Gooch to smoke some for me to go to grub city on.
You need to go to Grub Burger Bar. Their hamburgers are 30% brisket. I am going to start a thread on it.