Author Topic: Game of Thrones thread for people who enjoy both the show and books  (Read 59872 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: Game of Thrones thread for people who enjoy both the show and books
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2014, 08:55:49 AM »
"We Free Folk have our stories, too. About how one of your King Crows found something... cold in the woods, with bright blue eyes. How he brought her home through your Wall and declared himself "Night's King.""
?Ygritte

The Night's King is an character in Game of Thrones, appearing in the "The Histories & Lore: The History of the Night's Watch" featurette included in the Season 2 Blu-ray. He is a legendary figure known both in the Seven Kingdoms and among the Free Folk dwelling Beyond the Wall.

The Night's King and the Night's Queen enslaved the black brothers and performed human sacrifices.

According to legend, the Night's King was originally a Lord Commander of the Night's Watch who found in the Haunted Forest a cold woman with bright blue eyes, seemingly a female White Walker. He took her to the other side of the Wall and declared himself "Night's King". For thirteen years the two ruled over the brothers of the Night's Watch, performing human sacrifices. The Free Folk rallied under the banner of a King-Beyond-the-Wall and marched against the Nightfort, which the Night's King had taken as his seat, defeating him with the aid of House Stark.

more from the books...

In the A Song of Ice and Fire novels, the Night's King was a Lord Commander of the Night's Watch during its earliest years, not long after the Long Night ended and the Wall was completed. He is considered a legendary, half-mythical figure, not far removed from Bran the Builder. If he really did exist, it was almost eight thousand years ago - consider that while the Night's King was the thirteenth Lord Commander, at the time of the War of the Five Kings, Jeor Mormont is the 997th Lord Commander.

However, the Night's King fell in love with a woman "with skin as white as the moon and eyes like blue stars"; he loved her though "her skin was cold as ice", and when he gave his seed to her he gave her his soul as well. He brought her to the Nightfort and bound the brothers of the Night's Watch to his will through sorcery. He declared himself "Night's King" and ruled over the Wall and the Gift as his own. The King in the North and Joramun, the King-Beyond-the-Wall, joined forces to defeat him.

After he was killed, it was discovered that he had been making human sacrifices to the Others - the White Walkers - and all records of him were destroyed, and uttering his name was forbidden, so it became lost to history. Nevertheless, it is believed he may have been a Bolton, a Magnar of Skagos, an Umber, a Flint, a Norrey, or a Woodfoot, though Old Nan claims to know a version of the tale where he was actually a Stark, brother to the King-in-the-North, named Bran.

After the defeat of the Night's King, the rule was enforced that the castles of the Night's Watch along the Wall should never be fortified against approach from the south, so that they cannot oppose the lands south of the Wall which they are meant to defend. The downfall of the Night's King also resulted in the strict enforcement of the rule that the Night's Watch is meant to be politically neutral, as guardians who do not "rule" the Wall but who serve the realms of men.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2014, 09:21:25 AM »
As quite possibly the most fleshed out of Old Nan's tales, the NK obviously has some role to play in the story. Whether it's him personally or setting up someone else's storyline (see the Rat Cook).

I still am holding to him being Coldhands but until we know more about the Others it's pretty hard to say much more one way or the other

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2014, 10:59:36 AM »
so what was the big bombshell from the show

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2014, 11:01:03 AM »

It showed one of Craster's babies getting turned into a white walker by some sort of super white walker. HBO's website called him the Night's King, but have since taken that down.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 11:06:11 AM by Rage Against the McKee »

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2014, 11:02:45 AM »

It showed one of Craster's babies getting turned into a white walker by some sort of super white walker. HBO's website called him the Night's King, but have sense taken that down.

:D

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2014, 11:06:41 AM »
:embarrassed:

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2014, 11:40:45 AM »
Hey guys, this is also the thread where we  :lol: at the poor suckers who just watch the show and think they have anything figured out.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2014, 01:00:05 PM »
Is the show revealing more than the books on the Littlefinger/Lysa collaboration to kill Jon Arryn? (It's been so long since I've read the books that I can't remember what all was revealed.) I don't remember knowing that Lysa was in on her own husband's death and lied to Catlyn about it.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2014, 01:04:00 PM »
Is the show revealing more than the books on the Littlefinger/Lysa collaboration to kill Jon Arryn? (It's been so long since I've read the books that I can't remember what all was revealed.) I don't remember knowing that Lysa was in on her own husband's death and lied to Catlyn about it.

Yea, it all gets revealed to Sansa by Lysa in one of Sansa's chapters in ASoS.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2014, 02:15:56 PM »

Yea, it wasn't quite as blunt though mainly because of what happened right afterwards in the book

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2014, 02:40:28 PM »

Yea, it wasn't quite as blunt though mainly because of what happened right afterwards in the book

Littlefinger is very good at playing the game.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2014, 02:44:38 PM »

Littlefinger is very good at playing the game.

He is, but I find it amusing that I'm pretty sure he thinks he actually slept with Catelyn.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2014, 08:56:07 PM »
Oh man, what an episode. Got me really :excited:for next week

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2014, 08:57:11 PM »
That was a pretty great way to end this week

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2014, 10:15:25 PM »
Fantastic episode. So much wild stuff is just on the brink of happening you guys

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2014, 10:31:48 PM »
Fantastic episode. So much wild stuff is just on the brink of happening you guys

Yea, the teasers for next week :love:

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2014, 04:46:42 AM »
looking at the episode titles, it won't be next week's episode. it will be the one after that.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2014, 01:38:47 PM »
the viper mountain battle is maybe the most exciting sequence in the books. so many twists and turns and :emawkid: and then  :horrorsurprise: and then  :sdeek: and then  :runaway:

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2014, 01:43:05 PM »
the viper mountain battle is maybe the most exciting sequence in the books. so many twists and turns and :emawkid: and then  :horrorsurprise: and then  :sdeek: and then  :runaway:

Can't wait for that episode to air the first weekend of June. It's going to make for some great social media watching.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2014, 01:49:55 PM »

Can't wait for that episode to air the first weekend of June. It's going to make for some great social media watching.

Yea, I really hope they keep that fight true to the books. That moment when you think Oberyn has won then the Mountain finishes him will be fantastic to see.

Also I can't wait for that moment Littlefinger pushes Lysa out the moon door.

Basically the rest of the season should be pretty fantastic.

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2014, 08:34:44 PM »
I think one thing the show has an opportunity to do, is highlight what a curve ball trial by combat could be.  Tyrion could name Jaime his champion, with the knowledge that Cersei/Tywin wouldn't put him up against anyone who stood a chance of killing him.  So then Jaime would either have to get Tyrion out of jail or be a total dick and refuse the request.  Then how would it work with Cersei?  Tywin would abhor the thought of both his male heirs being knocked out in one blow but is Cersei's lust for blood insatiable?  She's grown distant from Jaime, but enough to send him to his death?  Such a good delima that seems really in line with the show's exploration of the shades of gray of morality, and they never even explored that possibility in the books.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2014, 08:37:59 PM »

SPOILER ALERT! I knew about  :emawkid::horrorsurprise:, and  :sdeek:, but not  :runaway:

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2014, 08:05:27 AM »
I'm pretty sure there is some legal reason that a Kingsguard cannot represent the King's accused killer in trial by combat.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2014, 08:35:40 AM »
I'm pretty sure there is some legal reason that a Kingsguard cannot represent the King's accused killer in trial by combat.

IIRC, this is correct. I believe Jaime was Tyrion's first choice, but he was prohibited from championing for him. However, I don't remember why Bronn wouldn't/ couldn't do it.