Author Topic: Lawn Care  (Read 113157 times)

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
Re: Lawn Care
« Reply #275 on: September 09, 2014, 06:08:33 PM »
@slobber  Is it a good time for another round of weed killer before they all go dormant?
What kind of weeds are you talking about? Where do you live again? What kind of grass do you have?

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #276 on: September 09, 2014, 06:12:40 PM »
@slobber  Is it a good time for another round of weed killer before they all go dormant?
What kind of weeds are you talking about? Where do you live again? What kind of grass do you have?
Broadleaf, clover and some funny looking clover. I've not been able to positively identify it. Clover style leaf with a dark woody stem. I live in Kentucky near Louisville. Grass is a mixture if fescue and bluegrass. Thx.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 09, 2014, 06:14:09 PM »
dobber when should I aerate and overseed?

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 09, 2014, 06:20:58 PM »
Broadleaf, clover and some funny looking clover. I've not been able to positively identify it. Clover style leaf with a dark woody stem. I live in Kentucky near Louisville. Grass is a mixture if fescue and bluegrass. Thx.
Could be dollar weed?
Yes, you can knock out those broadleaves know with 2,4-D. If you can find something with some "salt of Dicamba" in as well, it will work better.
HOWEVER, do not over-seed for about 30 days, or you will not get a very good germination.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 09, 2014, 06:23:00 PM »
dobber when should I aerate and overseed?
NE KS? Now, or by the end of the month. You can do it later, I just prefer to do it on the early end. Don't do it if the forecast is excessively hot for the following week-10 days.
Mow short just before overseeding and then keep the grass seed wet to get good germination.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #280 on: September 09, 2014, 06:33:53 PM »
Could be dollar weed?
Yes, you can knock out those broadleaves know with 2,4-D. If you can find something with some "salt of Dicamba" in as well, it will work better.
HOWEVER, do not over-seed for about 30 days, or you will not get a very good germination.
Thanks. Dollar weed grows over the septic. However that put me on the right track. Lespedeza is the unidentified crap that has taken hold this summer.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 09, 2014, 06:51:41 PM »
Could be dollar weed?
Thanks. Dollar weed grows over the septic. However that put me on the right track. Lespedeza is the unidentified crap that has taken hold this summer.
Lespedeza is harder to control. Look for something with salt of Dicamba and see if it is on the label. I think it is.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #282 on: September 09, 2014, 07:01:36 PM »
Thank you. Good news. Spectracide has 2,4-D and salt of dicamba. Just happen to have two quarts ready to go.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 09, 2014, 07:12:46 PM »
Thank you. Good news. Spectracide has 2,4-D and salt of dicamba. Just happen to have two quarts ready to go.
Make certain lespedeza is on that label. I don't want you wasting your time. Looks under "Weeds Controlled"

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #284 on: September 09, 2014, 07:13:21 PM »
Make certain lespedeza is on that label. I don't want you wasting your time. Looks under "Weeds Controlled"
It's there!

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: September 09, 2014, 07:23:28 PM »
Aerated and over seeded last weekend cmooooooon rain

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 09, 2014, 07:27:31 PM »
Aerated and over seeded last weekend cmooooooon rain
First week of Sept. is my target. For the first time in a bazillion years (ever) I am paying somebody to aerate. $45. I will overseed. Lawn is in pretty good shape, and I didn't want to dick around with trying to organize pickup and return in addition to having to coordinate with a bunch of neighbors that want to use it when I get it. That crap cuts into my bbs'n time. I will over-seed and fertilize.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 09, 2014, 07:28:36 PM »
That's good I paid that to rent one and do it myself

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 09, 2014, 07:32:51 PM »
That's good I paid that to rent one and do it myself
A "guy" (somebody's guy) is cutting a special deal to everyone in the neighborhood. He will probably do about 25 lawns in two days, so not bad, for an Auburn grad. I think it's $140 for him to aerate and over-seed, but I can do that myself. That'll be enough for me to be able to have to wipe some sweat from my brow and throw back a high life.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 09, 2014, 07:41:12 PM »
dobber,
that goddamn bermuda just kept coming all summer.  i don't think i knocked it back at all.  try again when it cools down a little more or just let them fight it out and whatever is green and survives can stay?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 09, 2014, 08:43:59 PM »
dobber,
that goddamn bermuda just kept coming all summer.  i don't think i knocked it back at all.  try again when it cools down a little more or just let them fight it out and whatever is green and survives can stay?
I just talked with one of our tech guys about this a couple of weeks ago and it was also covered at the Turfgrass Field Day at NC State (an actual thing).

From the link below:
Recently, during one season in California, four sequential applications of a triclopyr (16 fluid ounces/acre Turflon Ester) + fenoxa-prop (24 fluid ounces/acre Acclaim 1EC) tank-mix provided better bermudagrass control in perennial ryegrass than those herbicides applied alone (6). Applications began in early July and were repeated at four- to six-week intervals into October.
Yes, I know it is in ryegrass, but note the timing.
http://www2.gcsaa.org/gcm/2001/aug01/08suppress.html

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 09, 2014, 10:31:58 PM »
dobber remind me to take a pic of my marginal lawn so you can a) tell me what kind of grass I have and b) if I need to kill it with fire

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 10, 2014, 06:17:51 AM »
Pay Scotts lawn or true green for weed control.   It's virtually the same price as buying your own and diy

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #293 on: September 10, 2014, 06:33:41 AM »
Pay Scotts lawn or true green for weed control.   It's virtually the same price as buying your own and diy
I have a 1.6 acre lot with some woods in the back. Let's call it an acre of lawn.

$20 three times a year for weed control.
$40 twice a year for fertilizer.
$140 total for a pretty nice lawn and DIY satisfaction.

What are you being charged annually? How big is your lawn?

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 10, 2014, 07:01:37 AM »
Small I just do seasonal and spot treatment.   I dgaf about do it yourself.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 10, 2014, 07:28:42 AM »

I have a 1.6 acre lot with some woods in the back. Let's call it an acre of lawn.

$20 three times a year for weed control.
$40 twice a year for fertilizer.
$140 total for a pretty nice lawn and DIY satisfaction.

What are you being charged annually? How big is your lawn?
I hope you are going to a JDL store to buy what you can there. With an acre, you can use a bit larger package size for a lot less money. Based on what you are saying for cost, I would assume you are going somewhere like that.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 10, 2014, 07:30:58 AM »
i just did weed n feed in the spring and that worked for awhile but now my lawn is 110% crab grass.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 10, 2014, 07:40:13 AM »

i just did weed n feed in the spring and that worked for awhile but now my lawn is 110% crab grass.
next year do a split application. Half at the time you did this year and the other half a month later.
Crabgrass can be controlled. But you do not want to get too far behind.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: September 10, 2014, 07:42:24 AM »

next year do a split application. Half at the time you did this year and the other half a month later.
Crabgrass can be controlled. But you do not want to get too far behind.

Gonna win 'em all!

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 10, 2014, 07:52:17 AM »
I get super on top of lawn stuff in spring and then treat it like a chore in summer.  Ugh.