Author Topic: Lawn Care  (Read 113183 times)

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
Re: Lawn Care
« Reply #175 on: April 25, 2014, 10:39:34 AM »
Any benefit to spring seeding?  or just wait until fall?
You can spring seed, but if you have put out a crabgrass preventer, the seed won't germinate. If you have a really barren area, then spray that area with roundup and seed the area without putting any crabgrass preventer in that area. Sure, some weeds will still come up, but you can get some grass established now rather than waiting until this fall.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 25, 2014, 10:41:52 AM »
http://www.homedepot.com/p/John-Deere-48-in-Tow-Behind-Plug-Aerator-PA-48JD/100609654?N=5yc1vZbx8w

May pick one of these up this spring.

Pretty reasonable.

Anyone ever use one of these before? 

The guy with the absolute best retired-guy lawn on my street uses one of these.
I have used one. It works, but it is a pain if you have a small lawn. Make certain you lawnmower is big enough to pull it. Don't want to burn out your clutch if your mower is too small.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 25, 2014, 10:48:51 AM »
http://www.homedepot.com/p/John-Deere-48-in-Tow-Behind-Plug-Aerator-PA-48JD/100609654?N=5yc1vZbx8w

Pretty reasonable.

I have used one. It works, but it is a pain if you have a small lawn. Make certain you lawnmower is big enough to pull it. Don't want to burn out your clutch if your mower is too small.

1.2 acre lawn(lots of trees on half of that, tho) with 19hp.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 25, 2014, 10:58:41 AM »
dobber, several questions.

1)  i have this big bag of 15:15:15 and an urge to put it everywhere (nonlawn, other plant question).  is there anything that won't like it? PROBABLY SOMETHING WON'T LIKE IT- I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ALL HAVE! YOU SHOULD BE FINE. JUST DON'T POUR IT OUT AT AN INSANE RATE. IT IS JUST FERTILIZER (NUTRIENTS FOUND IN THE SOIL).
2)  i have white clover in my lawn and want to keep and encourage it.  anything i can use to kill other crap that will leave the clover alone? WHAT?!?!?!?!? I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THIS!!!!!  :runaway: (SINCE KC IS KIND OF ON THE N. EDGE OF THE TRANSITION ZONE, YOU CAN FIND SOMETHING IN THE STORE THAT WILL KILL POA (fescue), JUST MAKE CERTAIN IT DOESN'T KILL ANY BROADLEAVES (READ THE LABEL AND SEE IF IT CONTROLS DANDELIONS, IF IT DOES, IT WILL ALSO KILL YOUR WHITE CLOVER) (ARE YOU AN APIARIST?)
3)  my entire property is infested with more earwigs than anyone would believe possible.  any good way to kill them that won't render my edible plants inedible? SEVIN GRANULES or LIQUID SEVIN AROUND YOUR FOUNDATION. PROBABLY MORE THAN ONE APPLICATION. SEVIN IS REGESTERED TO USE ON MOST FRUITS AND VEGETABLES, WHICH IS WHY I RECOMMENDED IT FOR YOU. LOTS OF PRODUCTS CONTROL EARWIGS.

1.  thank you.
2.  i wasn't clear.  i don't want to kill my fescues.  i'd like to kill everything but the fescue and the white clover (i know i can't, but i'd like to).  i just want to be sure not to kill the clover.  i'd rather live with some of the other weeds than kill the clover, but if i can kill them without hurting the clover then they gone.  i'm in california, btw (hot dry part).
I used to live on Fallbrook Ave. near the corner of Peach and Nees.
The clover will eventually take over the fescue if you don't kill the clover. I don't know what you can spray to leave fescue and clover but kill other weeds.

followup to 2.  is there any way to kill all this invasive bermuda crap that everyone else has in their lawns and probably was in my lawn before i lived here?  without killing my fescues and clover, that is.
If you can find something with fenoxaprop in it, that will be your best bet to control bermudagrass in fescue. It is very challenging to take bermudagrass out of fescue. You want to make the application now, before the bermudagrass really takes off in the summer. A couple of applicaitons will work much better than a single applicaiton.
3.  perfect, thank you (if i die of sevin poisoning, i will haunt you, tho). Don't eat it!

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 25, 2014, 11:01:31 AM »

Pretty reasonable.

I have one as well.  I am going to miss using it when I sell my rider.
@mikec2w

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: April 25, 2014, 11:37:57 AM »
My lawn is not the nicest on the block. I have 3 kids and all of the neighbor kids play in my front and back yard non stop. I have a large soccer goal in the back yard. Not conducive to growing pretty grass. My lawn looks good as it is, but if I didn't take care of it, it would be dead with the amount of traffic it gets. The kids rarely run around one side of my house and that grass looks freakin' awesome.

_FAN, that quote was hilarious.
Rowdddyy, if I had a flat in NYC you'd know that by now! (Brag about some stud thing related)

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 25, 2014, 11:52:45 AM »
You can spring seed, but if you have put out a crabgrass preventer, the seed won't germinate. If you have a really barren area, then spray that area with roundup and seed the area without putting any crabgrass preventer in that area. Sure, some weeds will still come up, but you can get some grass established now rather than waiting until this fall.
I have not done it, but they say you can seed after putting down crabgrass preventer if you put down at least a 1/2 to 3/4" of fresh soil for the seed to germinate in.  I may try this soon for some of the problem spots in my yard (under trees, along the driveway and street, etc).

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 25, 2014, 04:43:23 PM »
I have not done it, but they say you can seed after putting down crabgrass preventer if you put down at least a 1/2 to 3/4" of fresh soil for the seed to germinate in.  I may try this soon for some of the problem spots in my yard (under trees, along the driveway and street, etc).

crabgrass preventer works by creating a shield of chemical over your lawn.    If you aerate, that destroys the barrier and you may get crabgrss, and grass seed would germinate where aerated.    The soil from the plugs or any soil placed over the barrier would allow germination of both grass and crabgrass.    So unless you just regret using the Halts, don't do it or you wasted your money.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 26, 2014, 02:35:31 PM »

:surprised:
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 26, 2014, 02:36:06 PM »

:surprised:

why didn't i know this!
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 26, 2014, 02:36:50 PM »

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 26, 2014, 02:43:41 PM »

The clover will eventually take over the fescue if you don't kill the clover. I don't know what you can spray to leave fescue and clover but kill other weeds.

If you can find something with fenoxaprop in it, that will be your best bet to control bermudagrass in fescue. It is very challenging to take bermudagrass out of fescue. You want to make the application now, before the bermudagrass really takes off in the summer. A couple of applicaitons will work much better than a single applicaiton.

Don't eat it!

i don't believe you that the clover will take over, but he she takes over, then she takes over.  your lips to god's ears.

i'm going to go buy a bunch of toxic chemicals right now.  hope my neighbor's yard dies from the overspray.

i'm not going to eat it straight, but it'll prolly be in and on my plants, right?  i'm a lot bigger than an earwig though, i bet i can fight off the effects.  gotta do something, the fuckers are starting in on my corsican mint now (maybe snails, actually.  gonna kill them too, just to be safe).

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 26, 2014, 11:57:22 PM »
Pretty sure I mentioned Clovis in a post or two. How was Rodeo Days?

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 27, 2014, 12:02:11 AM »
Also, don't expect miracles with getting rid of the bermudagrass .

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 27, 2014, 12:02:41 AM »
that clover is going to take over. clover is ridiculous in it's need and desire to spread. good bye fescue.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 27, 2014, 12:56:16 AM »
Rowwwddddyyyy really knows his crap

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 27, 2014, 04:59:06 PM »
that clover is going to take over. clover is ridiculous in it's need and desire to spread. good bye fescue.

Rowwwddddyyyy really knows his crap

this is fascinating.  here we have this plant that can barely survive, even when its every desire is catered to, and because of your irrational hatred for the organism, you boys have convinced yourself that it's some super invasive monster.  just amazing, the human mind.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 27, 2014, 05:00:08 PM »
this is fascinating.  here we have this plant that can barely survive, even when its every desire is catered to, and because of your irrational hatred for the organism, you boys have convinced yourself that it's some super invasive monster.  just amazing, the human mind.

burclover, tho.   :curse:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 27, 2014, 05:01:16 PM »

i don't participate in the local customs and cultures.  it's just a place i have to live for the moment.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 27, 2014, 10:58:28 PM »

i don't participate in the local customs and cultures.  it's just a place i have to live for the moment.
:lol: I never attended Rodeo Days either. One of my best friends (non-'cat) lives in Clovis but was in town last week for work and The Boss concert. He had to fly back on Friday for a big corporate thing at Rodeo Days.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #195 on: June 19, 2014, 09:04:34 AM »
Apparently, my neighbor really wants new grass. Killed it and smoothed the ditch this week. I'd hate to pay his water bill.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 19, 2014, 09:08:16 AM »
I shut off my water on my new sod yesterday before it went off at 7PM. Going to dry it out today and cut it about 2PM Friday then soak it down for another week. Friday will be 9 days since they laid it. hope the roots are down enough.

Hired this place to do my fertilizing and junk. also to do pest spraying. they said I won't want to aerate it until next year so the roots get really rooted or something. thoughts on this program lawn guys?

http://www.heartlandlawnsomaha.com/services/6-step-turf-wellness-program

they are charging me $50 per treatment (6 treatments a year) plus $150 for a year of pest control which I think is 5 treatments.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 19, 2014, 09:51:23 AM »
$50/treatment seems pretty cheap, I was paying around $85 a couple years back, not sure how big your lot is tho.  I'd say good job.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 19, 2014, 10:13:35 AM »
I shut off my water on my new sod yesterday before it went off at 7PM. Going to dry it out today and cut it about 2PM Friday then soak it down for another week. Friday will be 9 days since they laid it. hope the roots are down enough.

Hired this place to do my fertilizing and junk. also to do pest spraying. they said I won't want to aerate it until next year so the roots get really rooted or something. thoughts on this program lawn guys?

http://www.heartlandlawnsomaha.com/services/6-step-turf-wellness-program

they are charging me $50 per treatment (6 treatments a year) plus $150 for a year of pest control which I think is 5 treatments.

peel back some turf and see if you're getting root hold.    If it comes right up like an area rug you probably want to wait.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 19, 2014, 12:38:21 PM »
That's a good program sd.

Gonna win 'em all!