Author Topic: Lawn Care  (Read 111704 times)

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
Re: Lawn Care
« Reply #525 on: June 30, 2015, 09:51:53 AM »
what are you spraying?

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: June 30, 2015, 09:52:23 AM »
One treatment will not work for extended periods. You will need to retreat consistently. Make sure you don't have standing water.

Gonna win 'em all!

He's just a half mile from a lake, though. Do mosquitoes not have that kind of range?

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: June 30, 2015, 09:53:46 AM »
When you spray, really close that nozzle down so you get fine droplets.

Gonna win 'em all!

What about those insect traps that have a fan with ultraviolet light and CO2 "bait"?   :popcorn:

@mikec2w

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: June 30, 2015, 10:13:38 AM »
dobber, thinking of taking my jug of ortho bug be gone max and just dumping it in the creek behind my house to take care of the mosquito breeding zone. this is a good idea, please confirm.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: June 30, 2015, 10:50:39 AM »
my wife got a black light big zapper with a mosquito bait in it because Texas has been even more infested with them than normal after all the flooding.  I figured it was bullshit but I'll be damned if it didn't cut down the mosquitos and all other bugs by like 75%
emaw

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: June 30, 2015, 10:54:08 AM »
What about those insect traps that have a fan with ultraviolet light and CO2 "bait"?   :popcorn:

you'll kill a crap ton, but also pull in more from the surrounding area.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: June 30, 2015, 10:56:42 AM »
Our bug treatment co is now selling a monthly mosquito treatment where they spray the bottom of the tree canopies and under all bushes.  Its like $89/mo and if you get a problem in btwn sprays, they come back and double down for free. 

I haven't used them because we haven't had a problem yet(and I live about 800ft from our neighborhood lake).

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: June 30, 2015, 10:57:02 AM »

you'll kill a crap ton, but also pull in more from the surrounding area.

@mikec2w

Offline dontfeedthebear

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: June 30, 2015, 01:33:09 PM »
what are you spraying?
Some Cutter yard crap and Triazicide.  When I spray the stuff, you can actually see them hovering about 15 feet up, like they're snorting the fumes before they come back down and attack you.  I think I hear them laughing at me if I use anything less than 100% DEET on my body.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: June 30, 2015, 04:16:24 PM »
what are you spraying?
Some Cutter yard crap and Triazicide.  When I spray the stuff, you can actually see them hovering about 15 feet up, like they're snorting the fumes before they come back down and attack you.  I think I hear them laughing at me if I use anything less than 100% DEET on my body.

Get several cans of OFF, stab them with a knife, and pitch them out in your yard.  /thread
@mikec2w

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: June 30, 2015, 04:28:51 PM »
dobber, thinking of taking my jug of ortho bug be gone max and just dumping it in the creek behind my house to take care of the mosquito breeding zone. this is a good idea, please confirm.
Cannot confirm. Math seems pretty legit, but the good people at Ortho didn't include that in the label directions.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: June 30, 2015, 04:29:48 PM »
One treatment will not work for extended periods. You will need to retreat consistently. Make sure you don't have standing water.

Gonna win 'em all!

He's just a half mile from a lake, though. Do mosquitoes not have that kind of range?
Can't kill them all, but killing as many as you can is still a good idea!

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: June 30, 2015, 04:31:39 PM »
When you spray, really close that nozzle down so you get fine droplets.

Gonna win 'em all!

Sounds fake. Those little personal fans that you can hang on your belt or in your entry way to your tent work, but there is some other chemistry that is not yet registered in the US that the WHO uses for bed nets and in other products. It is really great.

Offline Duncan

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: June 30, 2015, 04:49:10 PM »
Larvacides as the primary attack (in aquatic habitats); adulticides as a supplement to (in vegetation). Some chemicals are only available for the pros - but you should be able to find some commercially.

Off Deep Woods is the best for protection.

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: June 30, 2015, 10:23:24 PM »
I had one of the worst problems with mosquitos i recall ever having after all the rain we had in May.  I put down this and for a few weeks i never saw a single bug.  They are starting to come back but not near as bad so yeah, i imagine you probably need to re-apply every month.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ortho-Bug-B-Gon-32-oz-Max-Ready-to-Spray-Lawn-and-Garden-Insect-Killer-0175910/203686795

This particular product didn't go as far as i thought it would, either... id say you really need about two bottles per application.  Next time i might try the granular application instead of the hose, don't know if that will work for mosquitoes though.

Offline dontfeedthebear

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: June 30, 2015, 10:50:34 PM »
Thanks for the help gang

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: July 01, 2015, 08:50:26 AM »

I had one of the worst problems with mosquitos i recall ever having after all the rain we had in May.  I put down this and for a few weeks i never saw a single bug.  They are starting to come back but not near as bad so yeah, i imagine you probably need to re-apply every month.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ortho-Bug-B-Gon-32-oz-Max-Ready-to-Spray-Lawn-and-Garden-Insect-Killer-0175910/203686795

This particular product didn't go as far as i thought it would, either... id say you really need about two bottles per application.  Next time i might try the granular application instead of the hose, don't know if that will work for mosquitoes though.
guys, I covered this. Read the label and buy any insecticide that ends in "thrin". The one in the picture meets that requirement.
Also, do not dump the product into a water source, it is toxic to fish.

Gonna win 'em all!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: July 01, 2015, 09:09:29 AM »
Does that product kill bees?

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: July 01, 2015, 09:16:29 AM »
When I get into the new house I may start mowing my own yard again because the yard will be very small.  Do any of you have an electric mower?  Are they any good for a small yard?

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: July 01, 2015, 09:40:12 AM »
I can say, anecdotally, that the Ortho product did not affect my lightning bug population.  So, it might be OK for bees.  I dunno, they aren't listed.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: July 01, 2015, 09:45:19 AM »
It will kill the crap out of bees if you spray them directly. Residual kill of bees would be limited to zero. Don't spray an insecticide on plants that are in bloom. If you want to be less restrictive, as long as you are following the label, just don't spray when bees are foraging.

Gonna win 'em all!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: July 01, 2015, 09:51:45 AM »
I knew it. There's slobber, yet again telling people to go use a product that kills bees. What a monster. "Residual kill of bees would be limited to zero". What a bunch of hullabaloo. That sounds a lot like Big Tobacco talking about second-hand smoke to me.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: July 01, 2015, 10:52:49 AM »
YOU SON OF A BITCH! I WILL FIGHT YOU!!!!!

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: July 01, 2015, 10:53:18 AM »
(Apologies to your mother)

Gonna win 'em all!

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile