Author Topic: Lawn Care  (Read 111708 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: Lawn Care
« Reply #500 on: April 30, 2015, 07:19:08 PM »
where do you live panj?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: April 30, 2015, 10:13:54 PM »
my foundation guy told me a french drain is like $30/foot.  I'm just going to build my own.
emaw

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #502 on: April 30, 2015, 11:59:25 PM »

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #503 on: May 01, 2015, 12:02:38 AM »
my foundation guy told me a french drain is like $30/foot.  I'm just going to build my own.

He quoted 130', so based on your guy's price, that is about $3900.  I guess he wants to do some more smooth, decorative gravel which will increase the cost but decrease the likelihood that my children will become injured if they fall on it.  Maybe my guy isn't too far off.  We're still going to get another couple of quotes.

My house kind of sits on a slope, so it's about 30' from my foundation.  But it just pools in my backyard along the fence.  It's annoying as hell. Our backyard is big but effectively worthless because it's a mosquito infested swamp land.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: May 01, 2015, 07:42:35 AM »
depending on the size of area, ask him how much to regrade so that the water runs off(if that is even feasible in your backyard sitch).  A little black dirt and time on a skidloader might be less money.  Then just seed it.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: May 01, 2015, 08:03:51 AM »
So I really need some GrassKats to tell me if I'm boned on this or not. Our house was finished in September and they did kind of a garbage'y job installing all the little sod square thingies. I mean it probably looks fine on the street but there's this one patch around the side that just will not grow. It appeared to be doing fine right after they installed it and I didn't notice anything, but then when winter came and all the grass went dormant, this particular patch just never grew back. I took a picture of it like 3-4 weeks ago. Then I took a picture of it standing in nearly the same spot a yesterday. There might be a little progress but not much, especially considering that I've been fertilizing it with that lawn-gro sta-green stuff or whatever and it has gotten tons of water in the last three weeks. Tell me the following things.

1) Does this pathetic patch have any chance at all of regaining life?
2) If yes, what else does it need if anything?
2) If not, what should I do about it?
3) Also what kind of grass is this?

Picture from like 3-4 weeks ago:

Picture from yesterday:

Sorry for the pic quality. Also sorry for the grass quality. :flush:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: May 01, 2015, 08:15:58 AM »
go buy an $8 bag of grass patch and throw some down.   I don't see that coming back if it hasn't by now.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: May 01, 2015, 09:12:33 AM »
I bet, if you dug a couple inches below that area, you would find that they left the concrete spoils from pouring your driveway.  Grass hates that.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: May 01, 2015, 09:20:14 AM »

He quoted 130', so based on your guy's price, that is about $3900.  I guess he wants to do some more smooth, decorative gravel which will increase the cost but decrease the likelihood that my children will become injured if they fall on it.  Maybe my guy isn't too far off.  We're still going to get another couple of quotes.

My house kind of sits on a slope, so it's about 30' from my foundation.  But it just pools in my backyard along the fence.  It's annoying as hell. Our backyard is big but effectively worthless because it's a mosquito infested swamp land.
What about planting a River Birch or two in the area, a lot easier and cheaper

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: May 01, 2015, 12:11:24 PM »
Before spending that much on a french drain I'd layer dirt to build up the low spot, aerate the area really well at least once a year and start mixing lime into the soil in the area.  Make sure you've got a great stand of grass to drink up some too.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: May 01, 2015, 12:23:50 PM »
i like the birch idea.  the right plants can really dry out a wetland.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: May 01, 2015, 12:25:57 PM »
Flood it more, get koi and ducks.

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: May 01, 2015, 12:27:07 PM »
I like mowing. I do not like lawn care. No thanks

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: May 01, 2015, 12:41:46 PM »

I bet, if you dug a couple inches below that area, you would find that they left the concrete spoils from pouring your driveway.  Grass hates that.
It is almost certainly this, based on proximity to sidewalk.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: June 10, 2015, 03:15:52 PM »
Anyone here actually in the business in KC? I have a pretty tricky sprinkler system that is probably older than the dinosaurs and need some minor valve help. TIA

it should be flyer wedged in your door season right now i would imagine, i bet out of the 100 you get there will be a sprinkler one in there

Ended up just bucking up and tearing into it myself. Turns out, it wasn't terribly difficult once I found where the leaks/breaks were and also found parts for the system.

Online meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: June 10, 2015, 03:23:52 PM »
lawn needs mowed today before it rains the next several days, but it's super hot out, so I just texted the high school kid down the street that has a mowing business.  grass should be mowed by the time I get home from work.  probably crack a few beers tonight for my efforts.

Offline dontfeedthebear

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: June 30, 2015, 09:00:41 AM »
Didn't skim through the 21 pages, but anyone have suggestions for mosquitoes?  I just moved to the burbs, about a half mile from a lake and 2 houses up from a creek that feeds it.  They DGAF about anything I've done for the yard, including citronella candles, Cutter yard fogger, and 2 different types of yard treatments that attach to your hose.  I've been told to treat the landscaping, which is great, but we don't have anything set up yet, so there's no landscaping to treat.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: June 30, 2015, 09:14:45 AM »
mosquitos reproduce in standing water. nothing you do to your lawn or bushes will make any difference.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: June 30, 2015, 09:16:48 AM »
mosquitos reproduce in standing water. nothing you do to your lawn or bushes will make any difference.

If he has standing water in his yard after rains, he could put in a french drain or something. I think the proximity to the lake is the real problem, though. Just stock up on Off.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: June 30, 2015, 09:17:50 AM »
I'm going to mow today guys. it's supposed to be like 85 so not like the surface of the sun hot so that's good

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: June 30, 2015, 09:41:11 AM »
I'm going to mow today guys. it's supposed to be like 85 so not like the surface of the sun hot so that's good

I bet that Miller Lite is going to taste awesome afterwards.
@mikec2w

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: June 30, 2015, 09:48:14 AM »

first part true. Second part not true

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: June 30, 2015, 09:49:24 AM »

first part true. Second part not true

Gonna win 'em all!

:bwpopcorn:

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: June 30, 2015, 09:49:59 AM »
One treatment will not work for extended periods. You will need to retreat consistently. Make sure you don't have standing water.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: June 30, 2015, 09:51:03 AM »
When you spray, really close that nozzle down so you get fine droplets.

Gonna win 'em all!