Author Topic: Lawn Care  (Read 113345 times)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Lawn Care
« Reply #1000 on: November 17, 2016, 01:54:54 PM »
Well, if I can get 10 years out of the first tank of oil, then I just don't see the point of ever changing it. CNS must get paid by big oil or something.

I occasionally check the oil though and have to put more in a couple of times.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: November 17, 2016, 02:00:05 PM »
Sometimes I wonder why we don't have natural grass football and baseball fields at Cats stads, then I read a thread like this and realize the type of people that are associated with our university.

The football field would look like a rough ridin' abandoned drive in movie theater.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: November 17, 2016, 02:00:55 PM »
Guys, it's not just mowers, u don't need to change car oil either.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: November 17, 2016, 02:07:17 PM »
Sometimes I wonder why we don't have natural grass football and baseball fields at Cats stads, then I read a thread like this and realize the type of people that are associated with our university.

The football field would look like a rough ridin' abandoned drive in movie theater.

:lol:

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: November 17, 2016, 02:09:28 PM »

It already does (dax!)
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: November 17, 2016, 02:14:25 PM »
I occasionally check the oil though and have to put more in a couple of times.

would you say you typically add more shortly after tipping the mower and having the oil all spill out into the air filter?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: November 17, 2016, 02:17:01 PM »
Tip the other way

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: November 17, 2016, 02:40:02 PM »
What kind of mower do you have? Rider or push

push.  one thing is i've only tipped it on it's back once before and like the engine flooded with gas or something and wouldn't start for a day or two when i did that.  so i guess i should wait till it runs dry before trying to unscrew the blade?

is it ok to turn your mower upside down? Or do just have to just tip it?

Most push mowers are made that you tip up the front. If you do that and put something heavy like a rock or sandback on the handle while its no the ground, you can work on the bottom of the mower; sharpen/change blades or scrape out the stuck on grass.

Also, probably the #1 tip for keeping your mower running well and for a long time is to regularly clean or replace the air filter.

sys it is also advisable to disconnect the spark plug wire when removing or replacing the blade

I get this and I'm all for being safe, but I've never read or heard about a mower spontaneously starting and cutting someone's hand off.

Finally, using the auto entrance/exit to go in and check out at Walmart is often advisable.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: November 17, 2016, 02:43:02 PM »
it never would have occurred to me to tip from the front instead of a side.  they should make manuals with this kind of information.

there aren't any self check stations at the oil change entrance.  makes you think about how trustworthy the front-tipping advice is, actually.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: November 17, 2016, 02:47:03 PM »
it never would have occurred to me to tip from the front instead of a side.  they should make manuals with this kind of information.

there aren't any self check stations at the oil change entrance.  makes you think about how trustworthy the front-tipping advice is, actually.

I prefer self check, this true. But if you are buying from the back part of walmart, especially near the automotive section, the time you save with a shorter walk into and around the store more than makes up for the time you save self checking. JMHO.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: November 17, 2016, 02:52:35 PM »
Well, if I can get 10 years out of the first tank of oil, then I just don't see the point of ever changing it. CNS must get paid by big oil or something.

Not at all.  I went 8 yrs without doing it a while back.  I just know what is supposed to be done and how to feel shame for not doing it for 8 yrs.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: November 17, 2016, 02:53:33 PM »
Sys, is this the right time to shame you for not being able to make your mint spread adequately enough to ensure you have no grass?

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: November 17, 2016, 02:56:51 PM »

Not at all.  I went 8 yrs without doing it a while back.  I just know what is supposed to be done and how to feel shame for not doing it for 8 yrs.

I think you should only feel shame if the mower stops working because you didn't change the oil.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: November 17, 2016, 02:58:44 PM »
The shame really comes in when you finally do it and realize it only took like $2 and about 5min.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: November 17, 2016, 03:20:39 PM »
Sys, is this the right time to shame you for not being able to make your mint spread adequately enough to ensure you have no grass?

i've complained before about how inaccurate antiminter propaganda is.  it simply will not outcompete grass in the central california climate.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: November 17, 2016, 03:22:33 PM »
The shame really comes in when you finally do it and realize it only took like $2 and about 5min.

How do you get under the mower?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: November 17, 2016, 03:27:09 PM »

How do you get under the mower?

I meant the oil change.   :ROFL: I haven't ever changed or sharpened blades.   :ROFL:

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: November 17, 2016, 09:29:10 PM »
The spark plug thing is a remnant from the old days of 2 stroke engines and no/easily defeated safety features. 

Also a bench grinder is the easiest/fastest way to sharpen a blade but I imagine something like this for $7 from amazon in any old corded drill would do a fine job.   A big c clamp to pin it to the workbench will make it super easy and could save you a copay.

https://www.amazon.com/Lawnmower-Blade-Sharpener-Works-Power/dp/B003N2V59C

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: November 17, 2016, 09:37:31 PM »
sorry skipper but we're still stuck on which way we're going to tip this son of a bitch

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: November 17, 2016, 09:45:05 PM »
Sys watch out for the dreaded square socket drain plug. 

They get plugged up with grass juice and gunk so make sure you clean it out or you might strip it out.

:sdeek:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 09:54:37 PM by Bloodfart »

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1020 on: November 17, 2016, 09:46:01 PM »
This struggle might be tied to a low ACT score. What if it's inversely proportional? Oh man.  :Wha:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: November 17, 2016, 11:54:27 PM »
sorry skipper but we're still stuck on which way we're going to tip this son of a bitch

if it can be tipped at all, which is by no means a settled question.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: November 17, 2016, 11:55:42 PM »
Sys watch out for the dreaded square socket drain plug. 

They get plugged up with grass juice and gunk so make sure you clean it out or you might strip it out.

that looks like a sign from god that lawnmower oil isn't meant to be changed or drained.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: November 18, 2016, 01:00:51 AM »
you're receiving His message as intended

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: November 18, 2016, 09:20:22 AM »
guys I have a serious issue. My mansion is amongst several others that are owned by old, retired people. They all pay to have their lawns maintained and leaves picked up and crap. Being that I am young (old) and handsome, I do not pay for this service. I feel super bad that I can't keep up and my leaves are ruining my life and eff oak trees, etc.

Do you think they understand? Or do you think they are super annoyed?
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.