Author Topic: MLB master thread(non-Royals related) (no longer the official Mets thread)  (Read 219659 times)

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: MLB master thread(non-Royals related) (no longer the official Mets thread)
« Reply #3275 on: April 08, 2022, 10:29:05 AM »
I liked this tweet

https://twitter.com/HannahRKeyser/status/1512448179282792452

if that was my daughter...i would have told her the same thing. Gary Ron and Keith (and Steve Gelb!) are BITB.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3276 on: April 09, 2022, 12:45:07 AM »
if another met gets plunked in or around the face area I am going to crack some knees and no, I've never lost a fight when I cracked somebody's knees

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #3277 on: April 09, 2022, 08:28:51 AM »

CHONGS watching yet another Met get beaned.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3278 on: April 09, 2022, 08:38:18 AM »
Astros, wow

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3279 on: April 09, 2022, 12:01:37 PM »
Buck Showalter was being a huge bitch last night which isn't surprising because Buck Showalter is a huge bitch. Very likeable team with a very unlikable manager, biggest crybaby OAT. It's like the White Sox or the Astros in reverse.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3280 on: April 09, 2022, 12:18:23 PM »
Buck Showalter was being a huge bitch last night which isn't surprising because Buck Showalter is a huge bitch. Very likeable team with a very unlikable manager, biggest crybaby OAT. It's like the White Sox or the Astros in reverse.

i mean...in 2 games he's had 3 guys get hit above the shoulders. I'd be mad as hell too that the opposing teams pitchers can't control their stuff and were hitting my multi-time all star players in the face. (any of my players really, but especially the all stars). I think mets players got hit above the shoulders maybe 3 times total last season. Watching the blood gushing from Pillar's nose still gives me chills.

I don't know how to feel about it. On the one hand i understand that players are going to get hit by pitches, and i also understand sometimes those HBPs are going to be a little scary. And i get that part of the game is needing to keep hitters a little bit afraid. If hitters knew they were always safe then everyone would do like Anthony Rizzo and crowd the plate, and if you try to throw him inside he's already looking in and is ready to turn on it.

On the other hand, the really scary thing about it is that its abundantly clear those plunks were accidents, but instead of a guy losing his breaking pitch, he's throwing his gas but doesn't have very good command of it. Seems shitty that a guy could have his career (or at the very least his season) ended because the pitcher isn't good enough to command his pitches.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #3281 on: April 09, 2022, 12:29:28 PM »
I wasn't a fan of Buck but as a Mets fan I'll try anything.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3282 on: April 09, 2022, 02:34:03 PM »

i mean...in 2 games he's had 3 guys get hit above the shoulders. I'd be mad as hell too that the opposing teams pitchers can't control their stuff and were hitting my multi-time all star players in the face. (any of my players really, but especially the all stars). I think mets players got hit above the shoulders maybe 3 times total last season. Watching the blood gushing from Pillar's nose still gives me chills.

I don't know how to feel about it. On the one hand i understand that players are going to get hit by pitches, and i also understand sometimes those HBPs are going to be a little scary. And i get that part of the game is needing to keep hitters a little bit afraid. If hitters knew they were always safe then everyone would do like Anthony Rizzo and crowd the plate, and if you try to throw him inside he's already looking in and is ready to turn on it.

On the other hand, the really scary thing about it is that its abundantly clear those plunks were accidents, but instead of a guy losing his breaking pitch, he's throwing his gas but doesn't have very good command of it. Seems shitty that a guy could have his career (or at the very least his season) ended because the pitcher isn't good enough to command his pitches.

I mean I get it, but his act last night was pure theatre. Every single person in the whole wide world who saw Lindor get hit saw that he only got hit because he squared to bunt and was right over the plate.

Showalter will eventually wear thin, just like he has everywhere else he's been. He's sober Tony LaRussa.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3283 on: April 09, 2022, 02:38:47 PM »
That's fair, I think most people realize that was Buck doing his performance theater, but lucky for him he's replacing Rojas who only seemed to really get animated about balls and strikes. I don't think Rojas would have come charging out for his players. So in that sense it's refreshing, for now anyway

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3284 on: April 12, 2022, 12:41:55 AM »
Games like tonight reminds me why I can't let myself get too excited

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3285 on: April 12, 2022, 09:36:48 PM »
Bob Costas and Ron Darling calling games on TBS is a total treat.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3286 on: April 12, 2022, 09:38:05 PM »
These orange themed Giants uniforms are terrible
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #3287 on: April 12, 2022, 10:44:34 PM »
Went to the Padres Double-A affiliate playing the Rangers Double-A affiliate tonight for the home opener here in SA. Was fun. No super great prospects played tho.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3288 on: April 12, 2022, 10:54:48 PM »
Minor league baseball is the GOAT family atmosphere

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3289 on: April 12, 2022, 10:57:03 PM »
4 bounce houses, tons of mascots roaming around for pics with the kids whenever, cheap tix, cheap beers, cheap concessions, special events every game, kids want to run the bases? eff it, that’s every game. I love it so much.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3290 on: April 12, 2022, 10:58:17 PM »
And Omaha is AAA so we get tons of rehab assignments and crap.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3291 on: April 13, 2022, 05:31:48 PM »
Dodgers pulled Kershaw in the middle of a perfect game. Baseball has lost its soul.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3292 on: April 13, 2022, 07:23:07 PM »
Dodgers pulled Kershaw in the middle of a perfect game. Baseball has lost its soul.

https://twitter.com/billplunkettocr/status/1514332471554359313

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3293 on: April 13, 2022, 09:39:42 PM »
There is a lack of stewardship of the game by a lot of baseball people. Here is another example

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3294 on: April 14, 2022, 12:58:36 AM »
as a fan, you never want to see a guy get pulled when he has a perfect game going. But as a manager, my objective is to win the WS so if Kershaw overworks himself and gets injured and has to miss a couple starts bc he was going for a perfect game then that seems like a bad trade off.

That said, if I was Kershaw I would have lied and said I was having some tightness in my elbow so we took me out as a precaution. I'll be getting an MRI tomorrow. And then if course he won't need one so he can lie and say it came back clean and everyone applauds them for doing the right thing for the long term health of the players

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3295 on: April 14, 2022, 02:13:58 PM »
There is a lack of stewardship of the game by a lot of baseball people. Here is another example

lol, this dude is MLB's Mister Glass. He hasn't thrown over 80 pitches in almost a year, and he had little to no spring training. If you're him, his manager, his teammates, his trainer, his agent, his family, are you worried about his arm or some nebulous idea of stewardship?

It's hilarious that everyone, other than the people who should care the most, feel the most aggrieved.

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3296 on: April 14, 2022, 03:21:13 PM »

lol, this dude is MLB's Mister Glass. He hasn't thrown over 80 pitches in almost a year, and he had little to no spring training. If you're him, his manager, his teammates, his trainer, his agent, his family, are you worried about his arm or some nebulous idea of stewardship?

It's hilarious that everyone, other than the people who should care the most, feel the most aggrieved.
He’s also thrown a no-hitter before.   So you’re not taking away something he’s yet to accomplish.  Still sucks as a fan watching a game with a no-hitter and the pitcher gets pulled.
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3297 on: April 15, 2022, 08:21:11 AM »

He’s also thrown a no-hitter before.   So you’re not taking away something he’s yet to accomplish.  Still sucks as a fan watching a game with a no-hitter and the pitcher gets pulled.

It wasn't even just a no-no it was a perfect game he had in tact. If it was a no hitter when he got pulled I don't think it would have been as big of a deal... There were like 4 of them last year. I think they said there have only been something like 24 or 27 perfect games in the history of mlb

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3298 on: April 15, 2022, 10:17:31 AM »

It wasn't even just a no-no it was a perfect game he had in tact. If it was a no hitter when he got pulled I don't think it would have been as big of a deal... There were like 4 of them last year. I think they said there have only been something like 24 or 27 perfect games in the history of mlb

Blame his arm. I don't even want to go back and see how many starts he's missed in his career due to injury.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3299 on: April 15, 2022, 10:43:39 AM »
Do pitchers get bonuses for perfect games? Do teams get extra credit in the standings?