Author Topic: Game of Thrones SHOW thread for people who are confused by the book thread  (Read 361786 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
you can lay any blame for plot missteps at the feet of grrm

nah.

either he told the writers how the books end (and it's this garbage) or he didn't tell them. if he didn't tell them, it's still his fault because he hasn't published a book since 2011.
don't blame the writer of Troy (2004) for just being himself.

it's not the plot that's the problem, it's the writing.

"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
GRRM is not the problem. He provided more than enough excellent source material to lead to any number of satisfying conclusions. It's more like the show runners completely forgot all the masterful work they did on season 1-4, and to a lesser extend 5-6, setting up all these great characters and story lines.

we have more than enough evidence to now conclude that the show runners are completely talentless, absolute hacks.  whatever virtues the earlier seasons had can only be attributed to a story already well-developed enough that they couldn't eff it up (and probably also grrm micromanaging the scripts to keep them from going to crap).
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Yeah, show writing got bad when they source material was gone.

Jon literally never did anything great in his life.  He was just supposed to be a wall guy that had a soft heart and it got him murdered.  He was never some hero in waiting.

People are trying to make Dany/John/Jamie into people that they aren't.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Cersei's death was so incredibly unsatisfying.  She deserved something slow and horrible and painful instead of a nice graceful touching scene dying with her lover, who by the way she sent Bronn to kill just a couple of episodes ago but apparently forgot about that.

Jaime should not have been killed by some B team scrub like Euron who looked to be the only survivor of the Iron Fleet's whupping and who also JUST HAPPENED to be stumbling ashore at the exact moment Jaime was walking by.  Please.

I'm no dragon expert but you'd think there is some limit to how much fire a dragon can produce in a short time.  Apparently not, guess Drogon was well hydrated or whatever dragons do to crank out unlimited fire.

So the fleet of ships with scorpions went from marksman level to Stormtrooper level of accuracy overnight.

I'm also puzzled about people flipping out over Dany's heelturn.  She's had absolutely no problem using her dragon to torch people and things previously and now she feels like she's been betrayed by almost everyone around her.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
successful dragon attack on fleet didn't bother me, they tried to make it clear that the dragon used the clouds and the sun to remain hidden but it wasn't super clear either.

Agree on Euron, Jamie being lame.

Also, wanted cersei to die a slow horrible death but I guess sitting up there watching everything she worked for get torched was probably painful to her.  Kind of like hitler's last hours.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
She has never targeted the innocent, and that is why fans are losing their crap.  Kill all the soldiers sure, but not the innocent women and children.   
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
it was just stupid, clumsy and utterly lacking in subtly like everything the showrunners do.  they had to behead her friend like the day previous (for absolutely no reason), because otherwise how would viewers know she was all emotional-like.  and then they spent a total of like three minutes on her devolution into kinda-sorta burn-them-all targaryen madness.  and then they had to make her choice so obvious as to slap the viewer in the face.  like they could have started her off flaming up a bunch on non-surrendering soldiers and then she could just keep going in the firelust of a targaryen at war.  or they could have had her fly off to flame at cersei despite the surrender and then things could get out of hand or whatever.  but, because they're rough ridin' hacks, they just have her sit her dragon down for a spell and then with no provocation or motive whatsoever, start off on the nearest women and children.  they're just so bad at writing.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Reagal should have died in this battle and the transition to Dany #bid would have been more smooth, but they really wanted to show how overpowered dragons are.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Reagal should have died in this battle.

that would have been much better.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 01:49:20 PM by sys »

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
I didn't like what the bad man did to Sandor's eyes  :don'tcare:
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
i have a feeling that Game of Thrones is going to end exactly like The Hills did

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
She has never targeted the innocent, and that is why fans are losing their crap.  Kill all the soldiers sure, but not the innocent women and children.   

Right but she fundamentally changed with Jon's betrayal and the betrayal or death of her ENTIRE inner circle. 

She was betrayed because they didn't fear her.   

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
i have a feeling that Game of Thrones is going to end exactly like The Hills did

No spoilers plz
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
it was just stupid, clumsy and utterly lacking in subtly like everything the showrunners do.  they had to behead her friend like the day previous (for absolutely no reason), because otherwise how would viewers know she was all emotional-like.  and then they spent a total of like three minutes on her devolution into kinda-sorta burn-them-all targaryen madness.  and then they had to make her choice so obvious as to slap the viewer in the face.  like they could have started her off flaming up a bunch on non-surrendering soldiers and then she could just keep going in the firelust of a targaryen at war.  or they could have had her fly off to flame at cersei despite the surrender and then things could get out of hand or whatever.  but, because they're rough ridin' hacks, they just have her sit her dragon down for a spell and then with no provocation or motive whatsoever, start off on the nearest women and children.  they're just so bad at writing.

it's just silly to have dany kill half a million people. terrible writing and all that. enjoyed the crap out of it anyways.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Exactly. Comparing what Dany did to KL to her other uses of fire and fury is laughable. At most, the civilians were collateral damage. And now all of sudden she is deliberately targeting them? The sudden break is even less plausible than Anakin’s “I’m sad my mom died so now I’m gonna murder children” thing. Stupid, stupid, stupid. And I don’t even like Dany, but for goodness sakes write something for her that doesn’t completely reinvent her character from one episode to the next!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 02:01:06 PM by K-S-U-Wildcats! »
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
GRRM is not the problem. He provided more than enough excellent source material to lead to any number of satisfying conclusions. It's more like the show runners completely forgot all the masterful work they did on season 1-4, and to a lesser extend 5-6, setting up all these great characters and story lines.

we have more than enough evidence to now conclude that the show runners are completely talentless, absolute hacks.  whatever virtues the earlier seasons had can only be attributed to a story already well-developed enough that they couldn't eff it up (and probably also grrm micromanaging the scripts to keep them from going to crap).

I don’t care how good the source material is, the writers did a phenomenal job adapting it to the first 4 seasons. It takes real skill to do that. Which is why this latest bullshit is so unexpected.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I think the show deserves some criticism for the last two seasons but it was inevitable to experience a drop off. Don’t really understand how you could watch 7 and not expect 8 to be a letdown.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I think the show deserves some criticism for the last two seasons but it was inevitable to experience a drop off. Don’t really understand how you could watch 7 and not expect 8 to be a letdown.

I did, but didn't expect it to be this bad.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
If you didn’t know that Dany was going to go mad and kill innocent people, then you haven’t been paying attention the previous 7 seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
This guy gets it

https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/game-of-thrones-the-bells/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
Finally watched it and, again, you guys bitch way too much. Just rough ridin' enjoy something great. 
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Reagal should have died in this battle.

that would have been much better.

YES

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
It’s not even the overall story that has pissed me off the last few epis. It’s that they choose to include ridiculous events when it’s completely unnecessary.

Why have dragon #2 die by supposed ship sneak attack when dragon #3 can single handedly lay waste to the entire fleet + city on high alert?

Why spend another 20 minutes following Arya around again to be like hey maybe she actually dies in this sequence?

Why have Euron stab Jamie through the torso twice if you’re gonna have him immediately walk a mile to casually say high to Cersei after?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Oh and then when Arya does finally make it clear, she’s the only living human in sight, but then there’s also just one super chill horse hanging out nearby?

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
Just enjoy something. Jesus rough ridin' Christ.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f