Author Topic: Shows that have you by the balls, or vag...  (Read 1261744 times)

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
Re: Shows that have you by the balls, or vag...
« Reply #4175 on: September 11, 2013, 08:10:29 PM »
jungle gold
:lol:
do you like it?  or are you saying it's funny.  i think it's funny and i like it, so my answer would be "both"
i guess I could see how maybe it's funny in a "holy crap they can't really be passing this off as reality, can they?" sort of way. I personally can't stand obviously scripted "reality" shows.  :dunno:
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4176 on: September 11, 2013, 10:09:42 PM »
ya I used to be a reality elitist too but not anymore

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #4177 on: September 11, 2013, 10:45:49 PM »
it's really not an elitist thing. I feel like the network is saying "here. watch this totally real reality show. it's absolutely not scripted." and they expect me to just believe cheesy scripts and bad acting.  well eff you, network! I'm not as dumb as you think I am!

as long as you understand it's scripted, which I'm sure you do, I can totally see how you could find it entertaining like any other drama. I just can't get past feeling insulted. I used to love pawn stars but I can't watch it anymore. the shitty acting annoys the hell out of me.

ok, maybe I am a reality elitist. :dunno:
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4178 on: September 12, 2013, 02:05:51 AM »
I really enjoyed this quote by Klosterman:

Though some may disagree (and I'm sure some will, because some always do), there doesn't seem to be much debate over what have been the four best television shows of the past 10 years. It seems like an easy question to answer, particularly since it's become increasingly difficult to write about the state of TV (or even the state of popular culture) without tangentially mentioning one of the following four programs — The Sopranos, The Wire, Mad Men, and/or Breaking Bad. The four fit together so nicely: Two from HBO that are defunct, two from AMC that are on-going, and all of which use nonlinear narratives with only minor experimentation. There have been bushels of quality television during the past decade, but these four shows have been the best1 (and by a relatively wide margin). Taste is subjective, but the critical consensus surrounding these four dramas is so widespread that it feels like an objective truth; it's become so accepted that this entire paragraph is a remarkably mundane argument to make in public. I'm basically writing, "The greatness of these great shows is defined by their greatness." There's no conflict in stating that good things are good.

Until, of course, you try to suggest that one of these shows is somehow better than the other three. Then it becomes a rough ridin' bloodbath.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4179 on: September 12, 2013, 07:31:23 AM »
Haven't even tried madmen yet.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #4180 on: September 12, 2013, 07:44:17 AM »

I just started it a while back. I also have not seen the other three. I've started the Wire and Breaking Bad a few times, but never got into it.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4181 on: September 12, 2013, 07:47:26 AM »
I like the wire and have gotten midway through season two on two diff occasions.  Haven't been able to find the time to commit to it.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4182 on: September 12, 2013, 07:48:16 AM »
FR, bloodbaths aside, you should give Sopranos a go. It's the best of the four.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4183 on: September 12, 2013, 08:01:21 AM »

No.  I rough ridin' hate the sopranos.  Overrated garbage at its finest.  I really, really dislike the vast majority of the cast too.  Just a large collection of shitty, totally forgettable actors.  I also hate the theme song.  Man, just awful all the way around.   
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline MarloStanfield

• My name is my name
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4184 on: September 12, 2013, 08:12:29 AM »
I like the wire and have gotten midway through season two on two diff occasions.  Haven't been able to find the time to commit to it.

You haven't even met me yet.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #4185 on: September 12, 2013, 08:43:12 AM »

I thought about it. But it's so old now. Like, old enough that it's outdated and awkward that they don't have smart phones and stuff, but not so Goodfellas old that it's charming and periodic.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4186 on: September 12, 2013, 08:53:27 AM »
it's really not an elitist thing. I feel like the network is saying "here. watch this totally real reality show. it's absolutely not scripted." and they expect me to just believe cheesy scripts and bad acting.  well eff you, network! I'm not as dumb as you think I am!

as long as you understand it's scripted, which I'm sure you do, I can totally see how you could find it entertaining like any other drama. I just can't get past feeling insulted. I used to love pawn stars but I can't watch it anymore. the shitty acting annoys the hell out of me.

ok, maybe I am a reality elitist. :dunno:

i think you get it now.  at first you didn't.  then you did. 

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4187 on: September 12, 2013, 08:54:51 AM »

I just started it a while back. I also have not seen the other three. I've started the Wire and Breaking Bad a few times, but never got into it.

i still need to watch the wire :frown:

watched the first season of mad men (and maybe a couple from season 2?) but just couldn't do it anymore

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4188 on: September 12, 2013, 10:52:41 AM »

Nice to meet you.  Look forward to eventually getting to know you.

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #4189 on: September 12, 2013, 10:55:05 AM »
started watching awkward.. pretty great background tv show to just run a train through

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4190 on: September 12, 2013, 03:04:55 PM »

:love:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #4191 on: September 12, 2013, 11:25:01 PM »

I thought about it. But it's so old now. Like, old enough that it's outdated and awkward that they don't have smart phones and stuff, but not so Goodfellas old that it's charming and periodic.

If you missed the boat, then the moment has probably passed for good.

A person may as well pick up Boardwalk Empire for that very reason.

Which is what I plan to do next.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4192 on: September 13, 2013, 02:13:04 AM »
So far, Sopranos has been good, not great. It's pretty cool knowing that it's the first show in which a "bad guy" is the main character. I also love the tough situations they put you in which you have to decide what is the right decision, because it isn't at all cut and dry.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4193 on: September 13, 2013, 06:21:03 AM »
Need to try mad men again.

The wire was more entertaining than the sopranos in ashow by show sense.   Sopranos was better acted.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4194 on: September 13, 2013, 07:31:05 AM »
x-factor started wednesday.  i don't really like the hispanic chick or kelly rowland, what is up w/ them!

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4195 on: September 13, 2013, 07:32:10 AM »
let's talk #MDLLA for a second.  anyone else more than a little bit concerned about madison's move into the beverly hills market?  times must be tough in LA.  i am happy though, that he found  his new love interest. 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4196 on: September 13, 2013, 07:34:53 AM »
swinging over to Top Chef Masters, was very surprised they sent sang yoon home.  ya, i said it- david burke can suck it.  that was not a quesadilla. 

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #4197 on: September 13, 2013, 08:07:11 AM »
I really enjoyed this quote by Klosterman:

Though some may disagree (and I'm sure some will, because some always do), there doesn't seem to be much debate over what have been the four best television shows of the past 10 years. It seems like an easy question to answer, particularly since it's become increasingly difficult to write about the state of TV (or even the state of popular culture) without tangentially mentioning one of the following four programs — The Sopranos, The Wire, Mad Men, and/or Breaking Bad. The four fit together so nicely: Two from HBO that are defunct, two from AMC that are on-going, and all of which use nonlinear narratives with only minor experimentation. There have been bushels of quality television during the past decade, but these four shows have been the best1 (and by a relatively wide margin). Taste is subjective, but the critical consensus surrounding these four dramas is so widespread that it feels like an objective truth; it's become so accepted that this entire paragraph is a remarkably mundane argument to make in public. I'm basically writing, "The greatness of these great shows is defined by their greatness." There's no conflict in stating that good things are good.

Until, of course, you try to suggest that one of these shows is somehow better than the other three. Then it becomes a rough ridin' bloodbath.
no mention of lost.. eff that guy

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4198 on: September 13, 2013, 12:55:05 PM »

If you missed the boat, then the moment has probably passed for good.

A person may as well pick up Boardwalk Empire for that very reason.

Which is what I plan to do next.

Problem is, Boardwalk is just Ok compared to Sopranos.  I mean, I could never watch another Boardwalk and be ok with that(although with the amt of crap that changed at the end of last season, this new one could go bananas).

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #4199 on: September 13, 2013, 02:56:45 PM »
no mention of BWE, clams?  Richard sure went a little bonkers, eh? 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]