Author Topic: Shows that have you by the balls, or vag...  (Read 1240411 times)

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Re: Shows that have you by the balls, or vag...
« Reply #1200 on: February 14, 2012, 02:28:26 PM »
RE: Walking Dead - Rick's wife is such a dumb bitch. jesus.

If I quit watching the show, her character would be why.  Just a shitty nightmare of poor acting, the character does just ridiculous stuff that makes me root for her and her bastard child to die and she adds NOTHING.  At all. 

Offline Dingo

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: February 14, 2012, 02:37:11 PM »
Walking Dead is worst writing ever.  Some of that dialogue makes me want to puke.  

Dingo's favorite shows:
1. CSI Miami
2. 2 and a half men
3. Army Wives

Dingo's favorite shows:

MI-5 (Kind of a UK version of 24)
Breaking Bad (if you want great dialogue, look no further)
Dexter (seriously, what mommy doesn't love this show?)
Justified
The League
Community

The list goes on.

Granted, I haven't watched the second season of Walking Dead.  Season 1, however, peaked early on, in the scene where the father is in his window looking at his zombie wife through a rifle scope--powerful stuff.  After that, it was chock full of bad lines and bad moments that rang false for me.  I mean, sure, the idea of a zombie apocalypse is unreal, but if you're going to try to get me on board with your human characters, get me to imagine this is how a real person would react in this situation.  You have to make them believeable and not give them stupid things to say that are what coverage readers call "on the nose."

Annoying moments in season 1:

When Rick went to find that half-zombie crawling through the park to mercifully put her out of her misery.  It could have been a great scene if played with no dialogue, powerful and poignant.  But then the writers had to scribble in that Rick shakes his head with sadness (like that character would do that) and mutter:  "I'm so sorry this had to happen to you ..."  Why don't you spell it out for us, clowns?

When Amy gets bitten by a zombie and dies and Andrea guards her body until she turns.  That whole motif was so overracted and melodramatic.

When Lori finds out Rick is alive, after she's been sleeping with Shane all this time, she suddenly turns into a raging bitch at Shane.  Jesus, what the hell did Shane do?

Another line that made me want to push the actor off the roof of the Atlanta building where it was delivered:  "Well ... [dramatic pause] ... Officer Friendly ... [more dramatic pause] ... from just up the road ... [more dramatic pause and slow turn of the head to look at Rick] ... welcome to the big city."  Who the eff talks like that?

When they get to the CDC (or whatever that place was where Noah Emmerich was holed up] and discover he has food and wine, there is that cliche-ridden dinner sequence where everyone is laughing ... and laughing ... and laughing ... oooooh, look how pleased we are to be eating, we're laughing.  It was so forced and phony.

For the record, I'm not the only one who says this.  A lot of critics have said the same thing.  
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 10:35:58 AM by Dingo »
I'm not a psychopath.  I'm a high-functioning sociopath.  Do your research.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: February 14, 2012, 02:47:50 PM »
Walking Dead is worst writing ever.  Some of that dialogue makes me want to puke.  

Dingo's favorite shows:
1. CSI Miami
2. 2 and a half men
3. Army Wives

Dingo's favorite shows:

Justified
The League
Community

The list goes on.

Granted, I haven't watched the second season of Walking Dead.  Season 1, however, peaked early on, in the scene where the father is in his window looking at his zombie wife through a rifle scope--powerful stuff.  After that, it was chock full of bad lines and bad moments that rang false for me.  I mean, sure, the idea of a zombie apocalypse is unreal, but if you're going to try to get me on board with your human characters, get me to imagine this is how a real person would react in this situation.  You have to make them believeable and not give them stupid things to say that are what coverage readers call "on the nose."

When Rick went to find that half-zombie crawling through the park to mercifully put her out of her misery.  It could have been a great scene if played with no dialogue, powerful and poignant.  But then the writers had to scribble in that Rick shakes his head with sadness (like that character would do that) and mutter:  "I'm so sorry this had to happen to you ..."  Why don't you spell it out for us, clowns?

When Amy gets bitten by a zombie and dies and Andrea guards her body until she turns.  That whole motif was so overracted and melodramatic.

When Lori finds out Rick is alive, after she's been sleeping with Shane all this time, she suddenly turns into a raging bitch at Shane.  Jesus, what the hell did Shane do?

Another line that made me want to push the actor off the roof of the Atlanta building where it was delivered:  "Well ... [dramatic pause] ... Officer Friendly ... [more dramatic pause] ... from just up the road ... [more dramatic pause and slow turn of the head to look at Rick] ... welcome to the big city."  Who the eff talks like that?

When they get to the CDC (or whatever that place was where Noah Emmerich was holed up] and discover he has food and wine, there is that cliche-ridden dinner sequence where everyone is laughing ... and laughing ... and laughing ... oooooh, look how pleased we are to be eating, we're laughing.  It was so forced and phony.

For the record, I'm not the only one who says this.  A lot of critics have said the same thing.  One of my LA friends knows someone involved with the production, and I understand the gutted the writing staff after season 1, so maybe I'll give season 2 a look on Netflix.  Maybe.

RE: your first moment - Rick just woke up from a long coma, and had no clue anything had even happened.
I think everyone can agree about Lori. She is horrible. Unfortunately her character isn't going anywhere.

Late disclaimer - I enjoy the Walking Dead but I admit it certainly has its flaws and it isn't my favorite show. It isn't even my favorite on AMC (The Killing)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 02:49:36 PM by hemmy »

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: February 14, 2012, 03:48:14 PM »
Cattmatt ripping a real writer's work is hilarious.   :lol:

baby's breath

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: February 14, 2012, 07:40:12 PM »
Walking Dead is worst writing ever.  Some of that dialogue makes me want to puke. 

Dingo's favorite shows:
1. CSI Miami
2. 2 and a half men
3. Army Wives

Dingo's favorite shows:

Justified
The League
Community

The list goes on.

Granted, I haven't watched the second season of Walking Dead.  Season 1, however, peaked early on, in the scene where the father is in his window looking at his zombie wife through a rifle scope--powerful stuff.  After that, it was chock full of bad lines and bad moments that rang false for me.  I mean, sure, the idea of a zombie apocalypse is unreal, but if you're going to try to get me on board with your human characters, get me to imagine this is how a real person would react in this situation.  You have to make them believeable and not give them stupid things to say that are what coverage readers call "on the nose."

When Rick went to find that half-zombie crawling through the park to mercifully put her out of her misery.  It could have been a great scene if played with no dialogue, powerful and poignant.  But then the writers had to scribble in that Rick shakes his head with sadness (like that character would do that) and mutter:  "I'm so sorry this had to happen to you ..."  Why don't you spell it out for us, clowns?

When Amy gets bitten by a zombie and dies and Andrea guards her body until she turns.  That whole motif was so overracted and melodramatic.

When Lori finds out Rick is alive, after she's been sleeping with Shane all this time, she suddenly turns into a raging bitch at Shane.  Jesus, what the hell did Shane do?

Another line that made me want to push the actor off the roof of the Atlanta building where it was delivered:  "Well ... [dramatic pause] ... Officer Friendly ... [more dramatic pause] ... from just up the road ... [more dramatic pause and slow turn of the head to look at Rick] ... welcome to the big city."  Who the eff talks like that?

When they get to the CDC (or whatever that place was where Noah Emmerich was holed up] and discover he has food and wine, there is that cliche-ridden dinner sequence where everyone is laughing ... and laughing ... and laughing ... oooooh, look how pleased we are to be eating, we're laughing.  It was so forced and phony.

For the record, I'm not the only one who says this.  A lot of critics have said the same thing.  One of my LA friends knows someone involved with the production, and I understand the gutted the writing staff after season 1, so maybe I'll give season 2 a look on Netflix.  Maybe.

keep us posted   :flush:

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: February 14, 2012, 07:43:55 PM »
Does breaking bad get better post Season 3?

I enjoyed season 4, but if you aren't liking it up to season 3, you probably won't like season 4 either.

Yeah, I think each season is better than the one before it.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: February 14, 2012, 07:58:11 PM »
Someone says that walking dead is too over the top, and then says dexter is their favorite show?  Dexter has probably the worst dialogue on tv, and some of the most predictable storylines ever.

I watch and enjoy both, so im not saying dexter is crap, but the two are very similar in the way you bring down walking dead
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: February 14, 2012, 08:01:36 PM »
Someone says that walking dead is too over the top, and then says dexter is their favorite show?  Dexter has probably the worst dialogue on tv, and some of the most predictable storylines ever.

I watch and enjoy both, so im not saying dexter is crap, but the two are very similar in the way you bring down walking dead

Dexter is supposed to be cheesy and over the top. Walking Dead is not.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: February 14, 2012, 08:18:25 PM »
I dont totally agree with that.

But anyway, I've seen the last few episodes of new girl on fox, and maybe im just  :love: with zooey, but it is the first network show that makes me laugh consistently in a long time.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: February 14, 2012, 09:55:43 PM »
No rough ridin' idea who this Cattmatt/Dingo fella is, but he sure seems like an insufferable self-important douche nozzle.  :dunno:
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: February 14, 2012, 10:02:14 PM »
That last post would have been alright, but he just had to add that last sentence. He could have said TV Guide told him. He could have said he heard it at the water cooler. Maybe even the post office. But no. He had to say his friend in LA who knows someone. I mean, I read io9 and I knew they fired Darabont and most the writing staff. I don't have to act like that in public. Why does he?

Offline Dingo

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: February 15, 2012, 10:38:32 AM »
That last post would have been alright, but he just had to add that last sentence. He could have said TV Guide told him. He could have said he heard it at the water cooler. Maybe even the post office. But no. He had to say his friend in LA who knows someone. I mean, I read io9 and I knew they fired Darabont and most the writing staff. I don't have to act like that in public. Why does he?

I went back and took that last line off because, goddammit, I aim to please. 

Rams - I am a douche-nozzle.   And trust me, I could be a lot worse if I wanted. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: February 15, 2012, 10:43:07 AM »
I'm changing Dingo's name to Catmatt to avoid confusing everyone now that he's blown his cover

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: February 15, 2012, 10:46:33 AM »
I'm changing Dingo's name to Catmatt to avoid confusing everyone

:thumbs: modding

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: February 15, 2012, 10:55:56 AM »
I liked Comic Book Men.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: February 15, 2012, 11:23:06 AM »
John Adams got really boring after the first episode.

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: February 15, 2012, 11:50:24 AM »
Workaholics really is the funniest show on television.
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: February 15, 2012, 12:21:09 PM »

I went back and took that last line off because, goddammit, I aim to please. 

Rams - I am a douche-nozzle.   And trust me, I could be a lot worse if I wanted. 

:thumbs:

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: February 15, 2012, 12:21:37 PM »
Also, I've been going back and watching Psych again. I love that show.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: February 15, 2012, 02:22:13 PM »
Workaholics really is the funniest show on television.

Yeah, it's not even close.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: February 15, 2012, 02:47:40 PM »
workaholics is pretty good but its essentially the same episode every single episode imo.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Dingo

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: February 15, 2012, 04:11:28 PM »
Walking Dead is worst writing ever.  Some of that dialogue makes me want to puke. 

Dingo's favorite shows:
1. CSI Miami
2. 2 and a half men
3. Army Wives

Dingo's favorite shows:

Justified
The League
Community

The list goes on.

Granted, I haven't watched the second season of Walking Dead.  Season 1, however, peaked early on, in the scene where the father is in his window looking at his zombie wife through a rifle scope--powerful stuff.  After that, it was chock full of bad lines and bad moments that rang false for me.  I mean, sure, the idea of a zombie apocalypse is unreal, but if you're going to try to get me on board with your human characters, get me to imagine this is how a real person would react in this situation.  You have to make them believeable and not give them stupid things to say that are what coverage readers call "on the nose."

When Rick went to find that half-zombie crawling through the park to mercifully put her out of her misery.  It could have been a great scene if played with no dialogue, powerful and poignant.  But then the writers had to scribble in that Rick shakes his head with sadness (like that character would do that) and mutter:  "I'm so sorry this had to happen to you ..."  Why don't you spell it out for us, clowns?

When Amy gets bitten by a zombie and dies and Andrea guards her body until she turns.  That whole motif was so overracted and melodramatic.

When Lori finds out Rick is alive, after she's been sleeping with Shane all this time, she suddenly turns into a raging bitch at Shane.  Jesus, what the hell did Shane do?

Another line that made me want to push the actor off the roof of the Atlanta building where it was delivered:  "Well ... [dramatic pause] ... Officer Friendly ... [more dramatic pause] ... from just up the road ... [more dramatic pause and slow turn of the head to look at Rick] ... welcome to the big city."  Who the eff talks like that?

When they get to the CDC (or whatever that place was where Noah Emmerich was holed up] and discover he has food and wine, there is that cliche-ridden dinner sequence where everyone is laughing ... and laughing ... and laughing ... oooooh, look how pleased we are to be eating, we're laughing.  It was so forced and phony.

For the record, I'm not the only one who says this.  A lot of critics have said the same thing.  One of my LA friends knows someone involved with the production, and I understand the gutted the writing staff after season 1, so maybe I'll give season 2 a look on Netflix.  Maybe.

RE: your first moment - Rick just woke up from a long coma, and had no clue anything had even happened.
I think everyone can agree about Lori. She is horrible. Unfortunately her character isn't going anywhere.

Late disclaimer - I enjoy the Walking Dead but I admit it certainly has its flaws and it isn't my favorite show. It isn't even my favorite on AMC (The Killing)

Hey, man, I was actually referring to the second time Rick sees the half-zombie.  The time you're referring to, when he just woke up, he sort of freaked out and ran.  But later, after he had come to terms with what was going on and everything, he went back to put her out of her misery.  My gripe is that the show feels overwritten.  His line there ("I'm so sorry this had to happen to you") is like Harrison Ford's narration in Blade Runner.  It works okay, but if you watch the film without his narration, you're forced to look at Deckard's face in certain scenes (like when he kills Zora), and everything that was said in the narration is written on that face without needing voiceover to explain it to us. 

The problem with Lori is that there are clearly no women on the writing staff.  All of the women in the show are written the way men write "tough, resilient women" -- as caricatures that conform to certain cliches.  So it takes me out of the story, so to speak. 

I'd be curious to know if season 2 is an improvement on season 1. 

Offline Dingo

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: February 15, 2012, 04:13:15 PM »

baby's breath

Oh, and I could give you a pretty good response to this, but God forbid Rams think I'm a douchenozzle.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: February 15, 2012, 05:12:41 PM »

baby's breath

Oh, and I could give you a pretty good response to this, but God forbid Rams think I'm a douchenozzle.

submit the response, the consequences, along with rams, be damned.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Dingo

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: February 15, 2012, 06:58:44 PM »

baby's breath

submit the response, the consequences, along with rams, be damned.

I've already earned so many prestigious titles from the board:  Sociopath, spouse abuser, racist, Captain Butthurt, attention whore, one-eyed freak just to name a few.  I'd rather keep DN (douchnozzle) off the list of abbreviations after my name.