Author Topic: Shows that have you by the balls, or vag...  (Read 1239274 times)

Offline Professorstinkynuts

• One hell of a nice guy.
  • Fan
  • One good looking S.O.B.
    • View Profile
Re: Shows that have you by the balls, or vag...
« Reply #1125 on: January 29, 2012, 08:18:22 PM »
Delocated on adult swim. Give it a chance.
Life and times of Tim.
"How do you write women so well?"
"I think of a man and then take away reason and accountability."

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: January 29, 2012, 08:24:56 PM »
HBO premiering "Luck" right now.  Looks fun

They premiered it a few weeks back.  It was such dogshit, they tried to hold off and re-premier it.  Unless you personally raise/race horses, or are addicted to horse gambling, I suspect you'll hate it.  I say this as someone who LOVES almost everything that HBO does.

Offline SabiNation

• Katpak'r
  • USA Handball - Rio 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: January 29, 2012, 09:23:42 PM »
HBO premiering "Luck" right now.  Looks fun

They premiered it a few weeks back.  It was such dogshit, they tried to hold off and re-premier it.  Unless you personally raise/race horses, or are addicted to horse gambling, I suspect you'll hate it.  I say this as someone who LOVES almost everything that HBO does.

Ok ya I was pretty confused about this as well...I was fairly unimpressed with tonight's premier...It was fairly slow and tough to follow.
Like you said, I think you really have to understand horse racing and gambling to have understood this episode.

We'll see where it goes...I as well have loved pretty much every HBO show I've ever watched  :users:
"If i worked for the NY times, and my boss told me 'hey. if you keep ranking ksu so high, we may fire you' i would tell my boss to 'bring it on.'"  -FFF

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: January 29, 2012, 09:59:38 PM »
LDP did it.  what a rough ridin' pro.

Offline the KHAN!

• Katpak'r
  • The Prince of Darkness and Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: January 30, 2012, 01:11:48 PM »
Season 2 trailer for Game of Thrones came out recently.

After viewing, I can already say that this show will have me by the balls.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=86394
The Scheme Doctor
Up the Banana Wall

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: January 30, 2012, 01:14:42 PM »
season 2.

how does GoT not have your balls now?  !

also, this thread isnt for future balls or vages havers.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: January 30, 2012, 01:17:19 PM »
season 2.

how does GoT not have your balls now?  !

also, this thread isnt for future balls or vages havers.

My balls were had after the first 10 minutes of the first episode.  :popcorn:  :horrorsurprise:  :popcorn:  :excited:  :popcorn:
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: January 30, 2012, 03:06:50 PM »
I'm anxious to see how closely they stick to the book in the second season of GoT. First season was pretty much right on.

Offline the KHAN!

• Katpak'r
  • The Prince of Darkness and Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: January 30, 2012, 06:39:34 PM »
I'm anxious to see how closely they stick to the book in the second season of GoT. First season was pretty much right on.

I imagine that it's going to stick to it pretty well. They might cheapen out and avoid big battles like they did in the first season. However, if Rome can have the Battle of Philippi in Rome with all it's brilliance, I assume they can afford to have some sweet sword and shield action in a Clash of Kings. 
The Scheme Doctor
Up the Banana Wall

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: January 30, 2012, 10:08:24 PM »

This is super important. I can't imagine how bored/disappointed I'd be if a story I already knew was retold in a different medium without any changes.

Look, HBO bigshots! Everyone watching this show already rough ridin' memorized and fanfictioned the eff out this story, so we know what's gonna happen and when. Do NOT ruin that for us.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: January 31, 2012, 09:14:25 AM »

This is super important. I can't imagine how bored/disappointed I'd be if a story I already knew was retold in a different medium without any changes.

Look, HBO bigshots! Everyone watching this show already rough ridin' memorized and fanfictioned the eff out this story, so we know what's gonna happen and when. Do NOT ruin that for us.

The most interesting thing about this to me is that the author. . . this guy ==> plans on writing 2 more books. It's about as likely that he will die or come down with dimensia before he finishes as it is that he actually finishes his series. This will give HBO plenty of wiggle room to finish the series as they please and really piss off a whole lot of fans.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #1136 on: January 31, 2012, 09:49:55 AM »

I imagine that it's going to stick to it pretty well. They might cheapen out and avoid big battles like they did in the first season. However, if Rome can have the Battle of Philippi in Rome with all it's brilliance, I assume they can afford to have some sweet sword and shield action in a Clash of Kings. 

Look, if there isn't a one hour epic episode that covers the Battle of King's Landing, I'm done with the show. 

Did anyone else notice that after the end of the first season, when they did a quick teaser for season 2, they did a little screen burn with Wildfire?  I thought that meant we were going to see the Battle of the Blackwater on screen, which will just be amazing.

Because Martin is so windy and descriptive, I don't understand how someone can keep up if they haven't read the books.  But it appears that a lot of people are doing just fine. 

Season 2 has the best battle scenes.  Season 3 will be the best of the show, with the best season ending.  Season 4/5 will probably be kind of boring until, well, Tyrion starts riding pigs.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: January 31, 2012, 09:52:04 AM »

The most interesting thing about this to me is that the author. . . this guy ==> plans on writing 2 more books. It's about as likely that he will die or come down with dimensia before he finishes as it is that he actually finishes his series. This will give HBO plenty of wiggle room to finish the series as they please and really piss off a whole lot of fans.

I'm hoping it forces him to finish the story. 

He says he already knows how it's going to end.  He just needs to get on with it.

Apparently, there's already a large chunk of "Winds of Winter" completed, so we may see something in the next two years or so.  But he has to have Book 7 done by the time they go into production after season 6 airs.  Therefore, he's got five years to get it done.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: January 31, 2012, 09:55:11 AM »
Here's the deal, I am not a huge scifi guy, but do enjoy some of it, GoT series being one of them I enjoy.  I have heard the books and the series are really close to each other.  I really want to read it, but would it be boring to me given that I already saw season 1? 

TIA

Also, the old guy hesitating on finishing the series sounds like the Dark Tower delay thing.  I swear, If I get into this and he writes himself into the rough ridin' story, I will murder someone.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: January 31, 2012, 01:20:04 PM »
Here's the deal, I am not a huge scifi guy, but do enjoy some of it, GoT series being one of them I enjoy.  I have heard the books and the series are really close to each other.  I really want to read it, but would it be boring to me given that I already saw season 1? 

I'm kind of on the fence about reading it too.  I downloaded a sample on my Nook and, for whatever reason, the dialogue is really hard for me to follow in written form.  I just don't do well with medieval fantasy slang.  :embarrassed:  I mean, I could probably plod through it for a while until I got the hang of it, but I want to know if it's worth it since I plan on watching the show religiously anyway.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: January 31, 2012, 01:28:13 PM »

I'm kind of on the fence about reading it too.  I downloaded a sample on my Nook and, for whatever reason, the dialogue is really hard for me to follow in written form.  I just don't do well with medieval fantasy slang.  :embarrassed:  I mean, I could probably plod through it for a while until I got the hang of it, but I want to know if it's worth it since I plan on watching the show religiously anyway.

FWIW, pretty much all the reviews I read about this said that it takes a while to get used to this, but that once you do it goes easy.  Prob similar to reading a Dickens novel.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: January 31, 2012, 01:49:48 PM »

FWIW, pretty much all the reviews I read about this said that it takes a while to get used to this, but that once you do it goes easy.  Prob similar to reading a Dickens novel.

Well, my second fear is that I tend to have an addictive personality.  When I find something that interests me, it pretty much consumes me.  I'll rifle through a good book in 2 days and virtually abandon my family only stopping to sleep periodically.  It happens with video games too.  It was so bad that I would play Ghost Recon on my laptop in the middle of class in law school, and the original CODMW almost ended my marriage.  :embarrassed:

The rave reviews of this series coupled with the sheer length and number of volumes may ruin my life. 

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: January 31, 2012, 02:14:47 PM »

Well, my second fear is that I tend to have an addictive personality.  When I find something that interests me, it pretty much consumes me.  I'll rifle through a good book in 2 days and virtually abandon my family only stopping to sleep periodically.  It happens with video games too.  It was so bad that I would play Ghost Recon on my laptop in the middle of class in law school, and the original CODMW almost ended my marriage.  :embarrassed:

The rave reviews of this series coupled with the sheer length and number of volumes may ruin my life. 

Audio books......

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: January 31, 2012, 02:17:52 PM »

Audio books......

bleh

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: January 31, 2012, 02:25:58 PM »

A couple of things....

First, it takes about seven or eight chapters before you get a handle on Martin's writing style.  I bought the GoT book a few months before the series started to get ahead of the TV show.  I read two or three chapters and put it down and figured I was just out five bucks.  Then the show came on, I loved it, and I wanted to know what was going to happen next.  So I pushed through, and after a while, it was really, really easy to follow.  So, all of those complaints are valid.  However, like you guys, most complaints may just be people who don't care for fantasy writing because I forced myself to get through Lord of the Rings because I absolutely HATE Tolkien and his writing style.  HATE.  True, visceral hatred.  Martin, however, is really, really good once you get used to it.  The man knows how to write a battle scene.

Second, each volume, depending on what format you buy it in, is anywhere between 800-1200 pages.  GoT was one of the shorter ones.  Clash of Kings and Storm of Swords (the best one) were over a thousand pages.  A Feast for Crows (Book 4) was around 800, and it...crawllllled.  It was a companion piece to get the boring stuff out of the way so A Dance With Dragons (Book 5) would be great, which it is.  However, ADWD is about 1200 pages, and it's taken me a while to get through it.  I read a hundred pages, put it down for a few weeks, read another hundred, put it down, etc.  However, there were nights when reading books 2 and 3 that I would stay up until 3 or 4 AM reading because I couldn't put it down. The end of Book 2 was amazing, which is why I can't wait to see this season, because if it's half as good as it was in the book, it will be some of the best television you've ever seen.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: January 31, 2012, 02:36:59 PM »
this thread rough ridin' sucks now, well done losers.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: January 31, 2012, 02:40:18 PM »
Game of Thrones? 

:lol: You nerds.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: January 31, 2012, 02:51:20 PM »

Yeah, it was amazing before  :jerk:

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: January 31, 2012, 02:58:43 PM »

Yeah, start your own nerd thread losers.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: January 31, 2012, 03:09:44 PM »

Yeah, it was amazing before  :jerk:

sorry dnr, i only read 8 page diatribes about GoT