Author Topic: Shows that have you by the balls, or vag...  (Read 1262108 times)

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Shows that have you by the balls, or vag...
« Reply #13700 on: December 28, 2021, 11:39:58 AM »
i quit westworld after season 1 ended, just can't really remember why.

i think a huge part of why people hated GoT S8 is just because the tying up of loose ends after a colossal series of world-building and intrigue is always going to be disappointing, no matter what. the last episode was almost perfect.

i would like to know some examples of epic tv or film series that concluded in a consensus-satisfying way.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13701 on: December 28, 2021, 12:10:16 PM »

i think a huge part of why people hated GoT S8 is just because the tying up of loose ends after a colossal series of world-building and intrigue is always going to be disappointing, no matter what. the last episode was almost perfect.

i would like to know some examples of epic tv or film series that concluded in a consensus-satisfying way.

People were pretty happy with the Avengers finale.  Hunger games, LOTR, Harry Potter and the Dark Knight trilogy are all pretty beloved.  I think they all had an overall plan and a sense of where they were going to end (of course concluded book series help).  GoT thought George was going to give that to them but then had to try and figure it out on their own.  Although George doesn't really seem to know how to wrap any of it up either.

The problem with TV is that the money will be there to go on in perpetuity as long as people keep watching.  That's fine for sitcoms with nothing much to wrap up but for heavy drama, it's a recipe for disaster if the creative people aren't willing to walk away from the money. 

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13702 on: December 28, 2021, 12:13:40 PM »
GOT show runners wrapped up the show to move on to other stuff. HBO ordered more episodes to finish and they said no thanks.

They f’d it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13703 on: December 28, 2021, 12:37:45 PM »

People were pretty happy with the Avengers finale.  Hunger games, LOTR, Harry Potter and the Dark Knight trilogy are all pretty beloved.  I think they all had an overall plan and a sense of where they were going to end (of course concluded book series help).  GoT thought George was going to give that to them but then had to try and figure it out on their own.  Although George doesn't really seem to know how to wrap any of it up either.

The problem with TV is that the money will be there to go on in perpetuity as long as people keep watching.  That's fine for sitcoms with nothing much to wrap up but for heavy drama, it's a recipe for disaster if the creative people aren't willing to walk away from the money. 

chicat get out of here with the hunger games. the LOTR ending is one of the most mocked in the history of cinema. harry potter ended well for sure, but there was pretty much one storyline going the whole time. not a lot of loose ends. dark knight trilogy are really just three standalone movies. i have not seen the avengers finale and tbh i didn't know it ended? why is there a new spiderman?

i think george painted himself into a corner and will probably die before finishing ice & fire

GOT show runners wrapped up the show to move on to other stuff. HBO ordered more episodes to finish and they said no thanks.

They f’d it up

i was not aware of this. like more seasons or just more episodes in S8?

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #13704 on: December 28, 2021, 12:43:09 PM »
Hbo was good to go to 10. Creators got bored and wanted out. Lena Hedley also wouldn't re-sign.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13705 on: December 28, 2021, 12:50:02 PM »

The Cosby Show
The Leftovers
Parks & Rec
The Fresh Prince's ending was great and it lives on as a meme

If Scrubs didn't have a zombie season it would have had the consensus best finale in television history.
Olds talk about how good the mash finale was

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #13706 on: December 28, 2021, 12:51:23 PM »
Six feet under has a universally loved ending

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13707 on: December 28, 2021, 12:54:15 PM »
yeah i think it's particularly tough for fantasy-type shows with tons of characters and worlds and storylines to come together in a tidy ending.

i should watch leftovers, i think i started it a few years ago and didn't get very far.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #13708 on: December 28, 2021, 12:54:38 PM »
None of these are a huge epic stories though, to chodecat's point.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13709 on: December 28, 2021, 01:07:17 PM »

chicat get out of here with the hunger games. the LOTR ending is one of the most mocked in the history of cinema. harry potter ended well for sure, but there was pretty much one storyline going the whole time. not a lot of loose ends. dark knight trilogy are really just three standalone movies. i have not seen the avengers finale and tbh i didn't know it ended? why is there a new spiderman?

i think george painted himself into a corner and will probably die before finishing ice & fire

The MCU is still going but the Avengers finale wrapped up a lot of storylines and characters - everybody pretty much loved it.  You could certainly say it wasn't a definitive finale but you could stop watching MCU movies there and have very few loose ends which is impressive with that many movies/storylines.

I could be wrong about Hunger Games (I watched that after the fact but didn't recall people being upset) but Return of the King is highly rated everywhere and won best picture.  I know some people said it wasn't the best of the series but I don't recall it being considered bad.  I certainly didn't get the feeling that it was universally mocked nor do I see anybody sharing that take in any substantial place on the internet.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13710 on: December 28, 2021, 02:14:50 PM »
Nathan For You

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13711 on: December 28, 2021, 02:48:47 PM »
I’d never heard about LOTR being mocked. Other than cutting some parts from the book for obvious time reasons, it just followed the story which is one of the most famous fantasy stories OAT.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13712 on: December 28, 2021, 02:53:00 PM »
It was mocked in jay and silent bob strike back.  The type of the people that mock it also have intense opinions on races from Star Wars. eff em.

I think the entire problem with so many of the things in game of thrones is that they felt a need to make things have a nice bow on them,  it suggests that there is an “end of history” in a world that big you won’t know what will happen in the future, everything fundamentally cannot be resolved, so the more they tried to fight that the worse it was.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #13713 on: December 28, 2021, 03:02:26 PM »
Is walking dead still on? I watched first two or three seasons of that and then it all felt exactly the same.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #13714 on: December 28, 2021, 03:04:13 PM »
Also MIR is correct, mash is a great finale. Wife has only watched it once and vows she'll never watch it again. We watched all of the seasons together our first year of marriage and she would not watch the finale with me.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13715 on: December 28, 2021, 03:14:05 PM »
Is walking dead still on? I watched first two or three seasons of that and then it all felt exactly the same.

It's still on and supposedly this is the final season.  I watched way more than 3 seasons before giving up, damn you sunk cost fallacy.  Thankfully I only wasted one season of my life on Fear the Walking Dead.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13716 on: December 28, 2021, 03:25:39 PM »
yeah i think it's particularly tough for fantasy-type shows with tons of characters and worlds and storylines to come together in a tidy ending.

i should watch leftovers, i think i started it a few years ago and didn't get very far.

This would be easier for television shows to pull off if they actually ended story lines at the end of seasons instead of dragging things on. This is why the Leftovers were able to pull off a series finale, the season finales answered questions about the season at hand while leaving the larger mystery in tact.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13717 on: December 28, 2021, 03:36:55 PM »
It was mocked in jay and silent bob strike back.  The type of the people that mock it also have intense opinions on races from Star Wars. eff em.

I think the entire problem with so many of the things in game of thrones is that they felt a need to make things have a nice bow on them,  it suggests that there is an %u201Cend of history%u201D in a world that big you won%u2019t know what will happen in the future, everything fundamentally cannot be resolved, so the more they tried to fight that the worse it was.

this is probably true. leaving things open ended would have people losing their minds also, but it might have been better in the long run.

return of the king was great but the actual ending was LOL (there were about 4 or 5 of them iirc). again that was a pretty simple storyline to wrap up. idk maybe it's just impossible to wrap up something as sprawling as GoT, which is probably the point you and i are both trying to make

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13718 on: December 28, 2021, 03:39:26 PM »
Yep this is another one I quit on because they absolutely refused to world build.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #13719 on: December 28, 2021, 03:50:12 PM »
Oh that's a good one, I checked out of walking dead in like s4 or 5

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13720 on: December 28, 2021, 04:11:00 PM »
Walking Dead is an example of one that kept getting continued as it made money but pretty clearly had no plan.

Agree the RotK was mocked for the multiple "endings", but the overall movie is considered pretty solid.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13721 on: December 28, 2021, 04:45:58 PM »

The Cosby Show
The Leftovers
Parks & Rec
The Fresh Prince's ending was great and it lives on as a meme

If Scrubs didn't have a zombie season it would have had the consensus best finale in television history.
Olds talk about how good the mash finale was

This gif drives me crazy because I want one of the actual last shot of the series & can’t find it.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Online BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #13722 on: December 28, 2021, 07:55:15 PM »

I think the entire problem with so many of the things in game of thrones is that they felt a need to make things have a nice bow on them,  it suggests that there is an “end of history” in a world that big you won’t know what will happen in the future, everything fundamentally cannot be resolved, so the more they tried to fight that the worse it was.

Jay and Silent Bob strike back came out 2 years before RotK. I think you’re conflating with Clerks II maybe?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #13723 on: December 28, 2021, 07:59:55 PM »
I love most of you but lmao nerds

Offline passranch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13724 on: December 28, 2021, 09:36:28 PM »
I've quit on more shows after multiple seasons than I can count.  But notable ones include:

OITNB
Hung
Barry
The Simpsons
South Park
Saturday Night Live
Mythic Quest (technically I quit this one only about halfway through season 1, but it felt like an eternity just getting that far)

Just to name a few.