Author Topic: Hey guys, we're going to be pretty good next season.  (Read 8548 times)

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Hey guys, we're going to be pretty good next season.
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2014, 02:10:05 PM »
Foster is a quality point guard

Please support this.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2014, 02:12:34 PM »
Foster is a quality point guard

Please support this.

His assist rate was pretty good.

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2014, 02:15:45 PM »
I'm willing to be convinced, but I just don't see him as any more a point guard than Jake.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2014, 02:16:41 PM »
I'm willing to be convinced, but I just don't see him as any more a point guard than Jake.

ok

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2014, 02:17:37 PM »
What will it take to improve on this year, from a conference record perspective?  :dunno:

OK, it would seem that we all agree that OU and UT will be just as good or better next year, and KU will still have a ton of talent.   We would have to improve a LOT to believe that we'll be substantially better than those guys.  But, it's reasonable to think we could steal a couple games, maybe even go .500 against those guys.  Not probable, but possible.

OSU has some studs in their recruiting class (3 top 100 guys).  Iowa State and Baylor lose some great players, so they will likely be down.  We'd need to finish above .500 against this group to improve on this past year.

Then, we'd have to plan on nearly sweeping TCU, Tech, and WVU.

It appears to me that it would be unreasonable to EXPECT us to be in the top 3, but reasonable to EXPECT us to be 4th or 5th.

Iowa State will be very good again. Naz Long and Monte Morris are very good and will get more minutes with the departures of Ejim and Kane, of course dickbag Niang will only be a junior.

Offline Jackstack99EMAW

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2014, 02:19:58 PM »
If Bolden and Edwards are even near as good as I've heard, we are going to be much better than 5th.  I understand not counting on that though, but there's still Hurt, etc.  This is the least amount of talent we have lost in a while and we should be better at everything next year.  I would honestly be pretty unsatisfied with 5th place/middle of the road finish, I expect more than that.

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2014, 02:20:36 PM »
West Virginia will be the most improved team in the league next year.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2014, 02:42:11 PM »
If Bolden and Edwards are even near as good as I've heard, we are going to be much better than 5th.  I understand not counting on that though, but there's still Hurt, etc.  This is the least amount of talent we have lost in a while and we should be better at everything next year.  I would honestly be pretty unsatisfied with 5th place/middle of the road finish, I expect more than that.

You're aware that other teams are adding players as well, right?

Offline Jackstack99EMAW

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2014, 02:43:33 PM »

You're aware that other teams are adding players as well, right?
Yes.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2014, 02:52:08 PM »
We are going to be about exactly the same.  5th place, lose first game of Phillips and first game of dance.  Currie and Schultz will say we over achieved, give oscar an extension.  Apathy will pick up another year of momentum.

I would say the 2013-14 team did play above their ceiling. They did overachieve. If the 2014-15 team performed similarly I would be disappointed.

We're not a small-market team in baseball.  Leadership sets its own ceiling.

I don't know what this means.

K-State had some young talent and a lot of questions coming into the season. They were looked at as a bubble team at best. They outperformed those expectations. Next year the expectations should be higher. 3-6 seed range and being in the mix for the conference title.

K-State will always be a team that includes bubble-type teams in its cycle. That cycle is not average or mediocre, it's pretty damn good.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2014, 03:00:26 PM »

You know exactly what it means; people think the oscar is a loser who develops soft teams.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2014, 03:04:40 PM »
We are going to be about exactly the same.  5th place, lose first game of Phillips and first game of dance.  Currie and Schultz will say we over achieved, give oscar an extension.  Apathy will pick up another year of momentum.

I would say the 2013-14 team did play above their ceiling. They did overachieve. If the 2014-15 team performed similarly I would be disappointed.

K-State had some young talent and a lot of questions coming into the season. They were looked at as a bubble team at best. They outperformed those expectations. Next year the expectations should be higher. 3-6 seed range and being in the mix for the conference title.

K-State will always be a team that includes bubble-type teams in its cycle. That cycle is not average or mediocre, it's pretty damn good.

My ceiling's pretty low today because I pak'd last night.  I'm not expecting any congrats if I eventually get off the couch and go to the gym for a bit or get some work done.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2014, 03:10:05 PM »

You know exactly what it means; people think the oscar is a loser who develops soft teams.

I really didn't.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2014, 03:16:10 PM »

Come on _FAN.

I'm guessing that he meant that if your internal expectations aren't exceptional you won't do exceptional things

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2014, 03:26:36 PM »
Come on _FAN.

I'm guessing that he meant that if your internal expectations aren't exceptional you won't do exceptional things

Meh. Pretty much the same to me. Plenty have always thought oscar is an unconfident dork/loser. I get it.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2014, 03:30:09 PM »
It doesn't really matter what the expectations are. We were expected to finish 5th this season, we did, and the powers that be disregarded history and called it over achieving. We will finish where we finish, and as long as it isn't 8th or  lower it will be spun accordingly to fit their agenda of not admitting a mistake with the hiring process in 2012

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2014, 03:40:35 PM »
Let me make this simple.

K-State chose to have Weber lead the basketball team.  Weber chose everything in the program, including the players.

The rest of the world observed those things and said, welp, K-State's back to a middling program with a 5th-place, 1st-round exit ceiling.

So, no credit to K-State and/or Weber for meeting the low standards that only exist because of their own actions.

In contrast, nicname, when you play poker and are dealt horrible cards all night and are still able to get average results, that's deserving of credit and could be considered overachieving and overcoming adversity.  K-State wasn't dealt oscar Weber, and oscar Weber wasn't dealt his team.  They both selected what they got.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2014, 04:07:32 PM »
Let me make this simple.

K-State chose to have Weber lead the basketball team.  Weber chose everything in the program, including the players.

The rest of the world observed those things and said, welp, K-State's back to a middling program with a 5th-place, 1st-round exit ceiling.

So, no credit to K-State and/or Weber for meeting the low standards that only exist because of their own actions.

In contrast, nicname, when you play poker and are dealt horrible cards all night and are still able to get average results, that's deserving of credit and could be considered overachieving and overcoming adversity.  K-State wasn't dealt oscar Weber, and oscar Weber wasn't dealt his team.  They both selected what they got.

I see what you're saying. I should also probably amend my statement about overachieving. The Cats played above their heads for a good stretch of the season, but eventually regressed back to around their expectations (preseason polls, etc.). Before the season I thought they'd be a bubble team, and be in that 5-6 range in the Big 12 also.

The Big 12 performed well this season. K-State met their expectations with the 10-8 5th place finish. They benefited from the Big 12's overall strength and were never really on the NCAA bubble.

I tend to look at K-State hoops in cycles. I'm cool with a .500ish Big 12 record and being on the NCAA bubble being the low-point in the cycle of K-State hoops, which is basically what this season was.  The expectations go up next year.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2014, 04:27:09 PM »
Odds are we'll get more favorable refs next year.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2014, 04:30:30 PM »

He really does come off as a rough ridin' $!#*, doesn't he?  But he's OUR rough ridin' $!#*!

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2014, 04:35:44 PM »

He really does come off as a rough ridin' $!#*, doesn't he?  But he's OUR rough ridin' $!#*!

I expect us to exceed expectations of a rough ridin' $!#*-led team next year.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2014, 04:43:22 PM »

I expect us to exceed expectations of a rough ridin' $!#*-led team next year.

The word

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2014, 04:53:31 PM »

Shane said that he didn't say anything to the ref, he said he slapped the floor and stared the referee down.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2014, 07:23:26 PM »
Shane said that he didn't say anything to the ref, he said he slapped the floor and stared the referee down.

I'm sure there's quotes/video somewhere w/o the DScott-ness, but it's what I've got at the moment.

It's his curse because less than 3 minutes after nailing the 3-pointer and stirring the air and shouting to K-State fans, the 6-foot-7, 215-pound Southwell went up baseline, really went up strong to the basket, and at least to observers sitting courtside, it appeared he got clobbered inside the paint. No whistle.

Southwell, laying on the ground, slapped his palms onto the hardwood, jumped up, yelled the magic words -- first word is "bull" and second word ends in "it" -- while staring down an official, and, bingo.

"I thought it was kind of clear that was a foul," Southwell said. "I really didn't say much to get the technical. I guess the stare down was good enough. I should become an actor with my stare down."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2014, 07:29:45 PM »
Yeah he said it in the post game press conference along with oscar talking about Vulture crying. You should listen to it there were several good quotes. It's on the radio broadcast and the NCAA used to post them on their site, not sure if they still do.