Author Topic: wrestling not wrasslin...  (Read 11139 times)

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
Re: wrestling not wrasslin...
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2014, 09:57:18 PM »
Metalhead, that was a good post.

Also, Vision Quest was a pretty decent movie.

Thank you, _FAN. I too think Vision Quest is a decent 80's movie about a high school athlete. Junior High Metalhead thought it was hilarious that they would name a character Kuch.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2014, 10:01:45 PM »
what was your guys entrance music?

Pantera- 5 Minutes Alone.

what great intro music!

after Coach Switzky (former EMAW wrestler) retired we got a spot light for duels and tournament finals! One of my favorite high school sports memories is pinning my opponent from High in the first period, under the spot light on senior night. The crowd went nuts that night, every senior won their match by a fall in the first period.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2014, 10:03:51 PM »
Anyone see Win Win? Wouldn't call it a wrestling movie necessarily, but wrestling is a big part of it. I enjoyed it. Just saw it last weekend.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2014, 11:03:14 PM »
how do you get cauliflower ear if you wear that head gear? The gross Iowan wrestlers on my tv all weekend had head gear that looked like 2 dinner plates

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2014, 11:04:36 PM »
how do you get cauliflower ear if you wear that head gear? The gross Iowan wrestlers on my tv all weekend had head gear that looked like 2 dinner plates

A lot of times it's from not wearing head gear like a lot of people don't in freestyle tournaments because it isn't required there. I never wrestled freestyle though so no cauliflower ear.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2014, 11:05:57 PM »

A lot of times it's from not wearing head gear like a lot of people don't in freestyle tournaments because it isn't required there. I never wrestled freestyle though so no cauliflower ear.

where you good at wrestling sunny?

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2014, 11:06:20 PM »
Finishing move?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2014, 11:07:25 PM »

were you good at wrestling sunny?

Meh, not really. Two time state qualifier. Would have qualified junior year too, but the best wrestler on the team couldn't keep making weight and took my spot. :frown:

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2014, 11:08:20 PM »

were you good at wrestling sunny?

Meh, not really. Two time state qualifier. Would have qualified junior year too, but the best wrestler on the team couldn't keep making weight and took my spot. :frown:

:shakesfist:

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2014, 11:08:58 PM »
Yeah. Literally the week before regionals too.  :cry:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2014, 11:10:30 PM »
isn't all high school wrestling freestyle? do they do Greco Roman in high school?

also you and I have had some issues lately, you want to wrestle it out at the first SKC match? I'll eff you up.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2014, 11:12:49 PM »
isn't all high school wrestling freestyle? do they do Greco Roman in high school?

also you and I have had some issues lately, you want to wrestle it out at the first SKC match? I'll eff you up.

:excited: I would love to watch this, but would be afraid after MIR kicked s_c's ass he would turn on me  :runaway:

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2014, 11:14:09 PM »

No, high school wrestling is folkstyle iirc.

Will you be at the Cruz Azul match? :D (No, I'm little, you'd kill me. :frown:)

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2014, 11:18:31 PM »
folkstyle is what is wrestled in high school and college in the US. Freestyle and Greco Roman are olympic styles.

The worst cases of cauliflower ear are usually caused by headgear that slips out of place. Friction causes the skin of the ear to separate from the cartilage, the void will then fill with fluid and it becomes very painful. Then if the dumbasses don't get it drained, it will harden over time. I know a guy who had surgery to repair it after he let it harden, I don't recommend that route.

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2014, 11:19:11 PM »
how do you get cauliflower ear if you wear that head gear?
We didn't wear headgear in practice, but I also never got cauliflower ear.

In addition to wrestling, I've played football, soccer, baseball and tennis competitively. I also ran distance in track. Wrestling was by far the most physically demanding of any of those sports.

EDIT: I should add that this isn't a fanningbrag. I wasn't all state or w/e in any of them.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2014, 11:26:54 PM »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2014, 11:31:48 PM »
I'm not sure anyone doubts how strenuous wrestling is, my issue with wrestling is that wrestlers rank right there with lacrosse players on the sociopath scale

there's a prominent gE'er who may have made Bobby Lashley cry who I'm very disappointed that we haven't heard from yet

No, high school wrestling is folkstyle iirc.

Will you be at the Cruz Azul match? :D (No, I'm little, you'd kill me. :frown:)

I think you'd have a weight class issue and yes I'll be at the Cruz Azul match

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2014, 11:33:12 PM »
one time this dude was totally strangling me, and i whispered to the ref that i couldn't breathe and the ref told me "if you can talk you can breathe".

man, eff that guy.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline waks

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2014, 11:36:49 PM »
Finishing move?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YWk1D6nUIg
Seems like a pretty risky move putting yourself on your back like that and all. Especially if your opponent has watched you and knows to expect it.  :dunno:

I'm not sure anyone doubts how strenuous wrestling is, my issue with wrestling is that wrestlers rank right there with lacrosse players on the sociopath scale
So since stereotyping an entire group of athletes is ok... is it fair for me to just assert that all women's basketball and softball players are lesbians?

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2014, 11:45:14 PM »
Wrestling is by far the toughest dumbest sport a HS kid can play

When you consider all the dieting eating disorders, training chewing tobacco, pain transferrable diseases, and technique steroid use it's a pretty large order pretty rough ridin' stupid for a young developing person.

you don't know what you are talking about. you should take a break for a while.

I was just joshing around, I don't think wrestling is dumber than any other sport, just being a smartass. When I have kids then I'll let them wrestle if they want to. BUT, all the wrestlers I knew in high school checked off two or three of the things mentioned above. Maybe the program wasn't run very well and it's not indicative of the crap most high school wrestlers get into/go through. You'd probably know better than I would.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2014, 11:46:24 PM »
waks, you may not be a sociopath but I bet most of your teammates were, amirite?

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2014, 11:47:32 PM »
waks, you may not be a sociopath but I bet most of your teammates were, amirite?

"Sociopath" isn't the right word for it necessarily.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2014, 11:58:24 PM »

It's fairly accurate. I wrestled with and against some very, very shitty people. I met a great deal of them at the college tournaments I was at. The wrestlers at UNL were a treat.

Offline waks

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2014, 12:00:10 AM »
Oh, I'm definitely a sociopath. I was just standing up for my teammates.

Another thing I liked/found interesting about wrestling: despite it not being a traditional team sport, it had more of a "team" feel to it than any of the other sports I participated in.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2014, 12:02:31 AM »

It's fairly accurate. I wrestled with and against some very, very shitty people. I met a great deal of them at the college tournaments I was at. The wrestlers at UNL were a treat.

Lots of shitty people and weirdos for sure. My high school had their first state champion in like ten years last season, and he got kicked off the team for stealing crap from teammates out of the locker room.