Author Topic: Shane  (Read 31162 times)

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Shane
« on: January 18, 2014, 01:38:52 PM »
Good book and even better player and even better human. His smile causes me to smile

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline fun muffin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Shane
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 01:42:04 PM »
He is wundyful.  He really has improved greatly.  Weber effect???

He does everything and plays joyfully. 

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 01:46:36 PM »
What's the word? . . . Adorable

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 04:29:35 PM »
I really enjoyed seeing him perform well. I was happy for him.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 04:33:34 PM »
He really has improved greatly.  Weber effect???

idiot

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 04:35:40 PM »

idiot

I dunno MIR, I thought Frank was always confused about what Shane's roll should be. Weber seems to understand his game a little more. Or maybe he just gets better with age like a fine wine.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 04:59:25 PM »

idiot

I dunno MIR, I thought Frank was always confused about what Shane's roll should be. Weber seems to understand his game a little more. Or maybe he just gets better with age like a fine wine.

Frank didn't know what to do with him because he was a 6'7" point guard in high school who couldn't dribble and we had Jamar Samuels here. JFC, a player gets better as a junior and senior and its a coach effect? Was it a Weber effect when Shane was garbage the first 2 months of the season and the coach was calling him out in post game interviews? You people, sheesh.

catzacker

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 05:02:00 PM »
what was the weber effect on JO?  Will?

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 05:05:00 PM »
The % of K-Staters that believe that oscar is some kind of Shane-Whisperer really astounds me.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 05:06:49 PM »

idiot

Frank didn't know what to do with him because he was a 6'7" point guard in high school who couldn't dribble and we had Jamar Samuels here. JFC, a player gets better as a junior and senior and its a coach effect? Was it a Weber effect when Shane was garbage the first 2 months of the season and the coach was calling him out in post game interviews? You people, sheesh.

So you're on board with fine wine theory

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 05:08:42 PM »
I think the change in Shane from Soph to Junior is a lot more than your average jump.  I think it is more the system benefiting Shane's skill set than just coaching, but to imply that it is the jump every sophomore makes is ridiculous.

what was the weber effect on JO?  Will?

Will is the same as he was.  JO was a victim of the system that is benefiting Shane

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 05:15:57 PM »
JO was a victim of the system that is benefiting Shane

jo was the victim of sitting on the bench.  when he was in the game, he was very effective.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 05:30:37 PM »
I think the change in Shane from Soph to Junior is a lot more than your average jump.  I think it is more the system benefiting Shane's skill set than just coaching, but to imply that it is the jump every sophomore makes is ridiculous

That cannot be quantified at all, not even a little bit. That first sentence is something someone says that just affirms what they think and there is no way to rebut the statement. I didn't say anything about every anything, that being said name me 10 players who didn't improve as upperclassmen & I'll even spot you Will. I will also point out to you something that Trim has pointed out several times. Shane spent nearly the entire non con in oscar's doghouse last season and he turned to Shane because he had to. Shane has spent more of the last season and a half on oscar's crap list than he has otherwise.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 05:51:35 PM »
I just like to enjoy his play and not worry about who gets the credit

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2014, 05:52:25 PM »
oscar made Shane better, not sure how this is debatable.  Can you imagine if Russell or Judge had hung around for actual player development rather than that drill sergeant hazing bullshit frank did? My god we'd be dominant.

JO made JO sit on the bench because JO was a lazy sack of crap the first half of last season.  Not sure how this is debatable.

Do you flopknobs even watch the games???
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Demo158

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2014, 06:13:22 PM »
All arguments aside, Shane always plays like a beast against coal-aggie. Maybe he harbors some ill will towards them, saw them burn a couch he liked once?  :dunno:

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2014, 07:06:19 PM »
I imagine opposing team fans hate Shane...that smile!!!

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2014, 07:09:10 PM »
oscar made Shane better, not sure how this is debatable.  Can you imagine if Russell or Judge had hung around for actual player development rather than that drill sergeant hazing bullshit frank did? My god we'd be dominant.

JO made JO sit on the bench because JO was a lazy sack of crap the first half of last season.  Not sure how this is debatable.

:thumbs:

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2014, 07:15:32 PM »

First off, they'd both be out of eligibility. Secondly, Nick Russell is basically Will Spradling this year with more turnovers, and rough ridin' Larry Brown is his coach. Wally Judge is having a decent year, but he'd still be the third most productive player down low for us. Peddle that bullshit somewhere else FSD.  Why can't you just be happy that oscar is doing well and Frank is doing poorly? You have to come up with asinine arguments to try and up the ante.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2014, 07:19:01 PM »

idiot

"You people"?

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2014, 08:09:36 AM »
I think the change in Shane from Soph to Junior is a lot more than your average jump.  I think it is more the system benefiting Shane's skill set than just coaching, but to imply that it is the jump every sophomore makes is ridiculous

That cannot be quantified at all, not even a little bit. That first sentence is something someone says that just affirms what they think and there is no way to rebut the statement. I didn't say anything about every anything, that being said name me 10 players who didn't improve as upperclassmen & I'll even spot you Will. I will also point out to you something that Trim has pointed out several times. Shane spent nearly the entire non con in oscar's doghouse last season and he turned to Shane because he had to. Shane has spent more of the last season and a half on oscar's crap list than he has otherwise.

Yes, if fragile nino doesn't crash land in seattle, shane's still on the bench.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2014, 08:30:07 AM »
A much higher percentage of his attempts under oscar are three point attempts.  Not surprising. 

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/kansas-state/shane-southwell

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2014, 10:15:36 AM »
Shane is making shots now which makes him go from a nice player to potential all league. He does everything really well, but now that his 3PT shooting is up over 30% (over 40% in Big 12 games) he's a star.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2014, 10:24:22 AM »
Playing Shane at the 4 has been really good for him. (And the team).

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2014, 10:57:31 AM »

There is not a place you can go to that will quantify the typical player growth between years, I'll give you that.  But between his sophomore and junior seasons his eFG% went up 15% - which is absurd.  I think this is because, as Rusty hinted at, he has benefited by playing the 4 and having matchups against bigger guys who struggle to get out and challenge the 3 pointer. 

I wouldn't call it oscar's coaching because he didn't just make Shane that much better, he put him in better spots to succeed.  At the same time, I think the system also hurt players like JO and caused undersized bigs like Gip to struggle at times last season.