Author Topic: WonderMeal's Classical Music Thread  (Read 7350 times)

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
WonderMeal's Classical Music Thread
« on: January 14, 2014, 09:50:35 PM »
There are lots of threads about music on this blog, but none that I could find about the old stuff.

:Rusty: :Chirp:

This thread is for posting links (with short descriptions!) to some of the classical* music you are currently listening to, some of your old favorites, or just your thoughts on the genre in general. Then, just maybe, other posters can listen to those links after a long day of work to unwind.

This is a thread to be bros/broettes, and is not a place to get blowhard-ey. =Mods?=, please ban anyone who gets blowhard-ey ITT.

I'LL START.

I love pretty much anything Baroque or Romantic, and can get down with some Impressionists as long as they're not too crazy. Music from the Classical period is okay. Pretty much anything after Debussy is no bueno for me. I also really like Ragtime.

Links for #1cat fans:
1) La Follia! Corelli's Sonata No. 12 in D Minor. A long piece that really picks up around the 9-minute mark, then knocks your socks off at 10 minutes.

2) Finlandia by Sibelius. Not only does this guy basically have the name of a former KS governor, he's also basically the LHC Bill Snyder of Finland. This piece is boss.

*While the thread title says "Classical," this is a general term. Links need not be limited to the Classical period, obv.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
Re: WonderMeal's Classical Music Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 10:11:29 PM »
i'm going to enjoy this thread

i basically just like to start at yo yo ma's page on spotify and go from there

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 10:16:16 PM »
Vaughan Williams - Romance for Harmonica

this one haunts me. can't stop listening to it.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 10:29:43 PM »
CARTIERFOR3 GET ITT!

Friends, consider SB pumped. Going to hear the Louisiana Philharmonic this weekend, probably with my friend Larry :excited:

Also going to hear one of most all-time badass favorite most excellenty orchestral works evar when the Kansas City Symphony plays Scheherazade by Rimsky-Korsakov in early Feb. The day after the qats squeak out a 58-52 grinder against the Texas Longhorncats.  Also there's a guy playing Ravel on piano, which is also great. WonderMeal. Are you in KC? Wanna have an intermission winepak?

Also for any other MHK/KC-area classicalpak'rs, the KC Symphony is doing Mahler's ninth and final symphony on the weekend of January 26th. If you're into classical music but only do like basic Mozart/Beethoven Spotify type stuff, here's a really elite way to broaden your horizons and get into some reeally crazy, awesome, grandiose end-of-the-world type stuff. When he uses a humongous choir in the second symphony? Well fellas just know that it blows SB's socks off every durn time.

Anyway, read this and go. Maybe eat a weed brownie or LSD or something beforehand to REALLY make it crazy. :eek: https://tickets.kcsymphony.org/single/PSDetail.aspx?psn=5404

"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 10:30:25 PM »
also, so happy to be talking with friends in here and just doing friend stuff, thanks Won' Me'
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 10:50:13 PM »
love classical, but have no idea about who's who and names of songs.

super relaxing tho.  when i was a courier in topeka, i would listen to the classical station all day in the car and it was boss.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 10:53:39 PM »
wow, SB, i LOVE the end or the world stuff!!!!  do u have ne links?

Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 10:57:27 PM »
Bolero is for the studs like us.

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 10:57:46 PM »
There are lots of threads about music on this blog, but none that I could find about the old stuff.

:Rusty: :Chirp:

This thread is for posting links (with short descriptions!) to some of the classical* music you are currently listening to, some of your old favorites, or just your thoughts on the genre in general. Then, just maybe, other posters can listen to those links after a long day of work to unwind.

This is a thread to be bros/broettes, and is not a place to get blowhard-ey. =Mods?=, please ban anyone who gets blowhard-ey ITT.

I'LL START.

I love pretty much anything Baroque or Romantic, and can get down with some Impressionists as long as they're not too crazy. Music from the Classical period is okay. Pretty much anything after Debussy is no bueno for me. I also really like Ragtime.

Links for #1cat fans:
1) La Follia! Corelli's Sonata No. 12 in D Minor. A long piece that really picks up around the 9-minute mark, then knocks your socks off at 10 minutes.

2) Finlandia by Sibelius. Not only does this guy basically have the name of a former KS governor, he's also basically the LHC LHC Bill Snyder of Finland. This piece is boss.

*While the thread title says "Classical," this is a general term. Links need not be limited to the Classical period, obv.

Finlandia is one of my faves. Great thread...long time in coming.   :thumbs:

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 10:58:14 PM »
All ennico morricone if it counts

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 11:01:17 PM »
wow, SB, i LOVE the end or the world stuff!!!!  do u have ne links?

Just do yourself the biggest favor of your life and hunt down a full performance somewhere of Mahler's second symphony, complete with full regiment of singers. A lot of times they have to put some of the singers off in the wings of the stage because some stages can't accommodate all the performers singing all their ominous stuff. :love:

Find that performance. Fly there and experience it in person. Or just go on youtube. Either way, make sure you blare the crap out of it.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 11:06:08 PM by SkinnyBenny »

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 11:02:54 PM »
Oh man guys don't EVEN get me started on Wagner!!! :excited:

Srsly CF3 get in here

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 11:10:34 PM »
sup

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 11:12:53 PM »
hey bud

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 11:13:36 PM »
SB you see that KSU Cats win tonight?

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2014, 11:18:39 PM »
yep. things got tense there toward the end and I had to pause my DVR for a few minutes to calm myself down with some Debussy Engulfed Cathedral action. Then got back to cat hoop action and we won.  :cheers:

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2014, 11:19:21 PM »
I'm glad. Let's talk classical music.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2014, 11:22:23 PM »
SB gave some great advice earlier with Mahler's 2nd symphony. Its basically AC/DC from the olden days.

Another one you might enjoy: Brahms 4th Symphony. You can find it all over youtube (i just checked)

It has all the olden days AC/DC flavor, but more sensitive sections too.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2014, 11:24:28 PM »
Yeah back when KU hooped in Budig Hall they used to do starting lineups to Mahler and it was the unfair advantage that propelled them to the Helms titles.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2014, 11:25:33 PM »
emawblast if you are ever in new orleans we should try to take in a Vaughan Williams show sometime.  :Rusty:

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2014, 11:29:16 PM »
Hey fellas reading this thread, do you have kids? If so I have a fun exercise.

Listen to "Carnival of the Animals" by Saint-Saens. Its broken up into sections or "movements" for different animals. Listen to it and talk with the kids why the sounds might remind you of the animals the piece is portraying.

Le carnaval des animaux (The Carnival of the Animals) (1886)

I. Introduction et marche royale du lion (Introduction and Royal March of the Lion) [0:00]
II. Poules et coqs (Hens and Roosters) [1:58]
III. Hémiones - animaux véloces (Wild Asses - quick animals) [2:42]
IV. Tortues (Tortoises) [3:22]
V. L'éléphant (The Elephant) [5:24]
VI. Kangourous (Kangaroos) [6:55]
VII. Aquarium [7:51]
VIII. Personnages à longues oreilles (Characters with Long Ears) [9:58]
IX. Le coucou au fond des bois (The Cuckoo in the Depths of the Woods) [10:35]
X. Volière (Aviary) [12:40]
XI. Pianistes (Pianists) [13:52]
XII. Fossiles (Fossils) [15:15]
XIII. Le cygne (The Swan) [16:41]
XIV. Finale [19:40]

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2014, 11:29:38 PM »
emawblast if you are ever in new orleans we should try to take in a Vaughan Williams show sometime.  :Rusty:

sounds great! performed his Dona Nobis Pacem once upon a time. like to turn it on once in a while, really brings back great memories.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2014, 11:34:54 PM »
Hey fellas reading this thread, do you have kids? If so I have a fun exercise.

Listen to "Carnival of the Animals" by Saint-Saens. Its broken up into sections or "movements" for different animals. Listen to it and talk with the kids why the sounds might remind you of the animals the piece is portraying.

Le carnaval des animaux (The Carnival of the Animals) (1886)

I. Introduction et marche royale du lion (Introduction and Royal March of the Lion) [0:00]
II. Poules et coqs (Hens and Roosters) [1:58]
III. Hémiones - animaux véloces (Wild Asses - quick animals) [2:42]
IV. Tortues (Tortoises) [3:22]
V. L'éléphant (The Elephant) [5:24]
VI. Kangourous (Kangaroos) [6:55]
VII. Aquarium [7:51]
VIII. Personnages à longues oreilles (Characters with Long Ears) [9:58]
IX. Le coucou au fond des bois (The Cuckoo in the Depths of the Woods) [10:35]
X. Volière (Aviary) [12:40]
XI. Pianistes (Pianists) [13:52]
XII. Fossiles (Fossils) [15:15]
XIII. Le cygne (The Swan) [16:41]
XIV. Finale [19:40]

CF3 is all over it. Carnival of the Animals is so great and so is Camille Saint-Saens, for that matter. This is a really fun YouTube vid to use with little kids with CotA "Aquarium." Or adults. Both beautiful underwater pics AND spooky but cool music.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2014, 11:35:33 PM »

WonderMeal, I enjoyed this.

My socks at 9 minutes:

My socks at 10 minutes:

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2014, 11:39:00 PM »
Another one that I use to help my son and daughters expand their brains and listen actively is Peter and The Wolf by Serge "Afeli" Prokoviev. You can pretty much do exactly what CF3 told you to do for Carnival of the Animals with Peter and the Wolf. Kids love it and you will too. The wolf is SCARY! :eek: