Author Topic: BaylorFans Meltdown about Possibly losing Briles to UT  (Read 7198 times)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
BaylorFans Meltdown about Possibly losing Briles to UT
« on: January 01, 2014, 07:36:14 PM »
Wandered over to Baylorfans.com and found a mini meltdown going on

This is a serious dick move on UT's part to interview an in conference rival that is right down the road...would be an even bigger dick move for CAB to take the job knowing how much it would set us back-I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt until I hear something else. It will be very interesting to see how Ian responds if Patterson calls for permission to interview like he has done other schools. Hopefully, Ian will stand up to him and try to kill this.

This is mostly Drama Queen UT trying to upstage our BCS Bowl Game

OMG PLEASE HIRE LEACH, would be amazeballs to have him back in the conference at BAYLOR of all places.
Greg Schiano, Larry Fedora, Chad Morris, Dana Holgorsen, Dino Babers, Mike Leach, Bobby Petrino, Mike Singletary

Just a short list of people we should consider if he ends up leaving
Didnt Briles kick but at Houston for a while after destroying the high school ranks?
Ian is a damn good AD who picked Briles out of obscurity and helped him become what is now in the first place. If it comes to that we are in good hands in getting a successor and getting him everything he needs.

A voice of reason?!?

I had hoped that at age 58 some aspects of the UT job would hold less allure and appeal. Having said that -- there was never any guarantee of that. And to succeed at the level CAB is at -- you have to have a competitive fire that most of us can't relate to. And that usually carries with it a tremendous amount of ego. And the pinnacle of his profession in Texas is UT. That feeds a whole lot of ego. It's probably an opportunity that he never dreamed he would have. When something is unattainable its easy to say you're not interested. When it suddenly becomes an option then it can be damn near impossible to turn down. I think the fact that he's not unequivocally nipped this in the bud means that there is about an 80% chance that he takes the job if offered. If so -- let's go get Chad Morris. We could get the better of the trade.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: BaylorFans Meltdown about Possibly losing Briles to UT
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 07:37:41 PM »
Rumor that I am hearing is that Briles is (will be) gone and Montgomery is going to be offered the head coach position. Bennett will be the highest paid D-coordinator.

This came from my bro-in-law (who is in Phoenix). He stated that he heard it from "a friend of a friend of friend of Ian".

He isn't one to just text me stuff. I'm not one to post conjecture.

I don't care if you call BS or neg rep me. I'm just passing what I heard.

I hope (pray) that Briles is staying at Baylor. I hope that this is JUST Ian's backup plan.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 07:42:40 PM »
This guy gets it

If he leaves, I won't bash him. "Art Briles left us for UT and all we got was an 11 win season, a 10 win season, a Big 12 Championship, a BCS berth, 4 straight bowls, a Heisman Trophy and a new stadium.

This guy gets it.

I recently interviewed for a job that would have paid significantly more and in the end stayed with my current employer because of various factors, some of which included the favorable way my current employer continues to up the anti each year.

Listening to an offer does not mean you take the offer. Chill folks.

Possibly going from Chilli's to Applebee's is not the same as leaving Baylor for Texas.

Has everyone ignored the fact that this is The Austin American Statesman we're talking about here? The "newspaper" that publishes a top 55 recruit list every year that is based on who UT has already signed. They do everything they can to help UT athletics. Do you think it is below their standards to plant a story like this just to make Baylor look bad? I don't! Like CAB asked, "who is the source"?

Never go full aggy

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 07:47:20 PM »
OK, let's cut to the chase - what, exactly, does UT offer that would entice Art Briles to leave Baylor?

Recruiting? There was a time when UT was king of the blue chips, but Art's worked real hard and by all reports is at a place where a lot of good players come to him, asking if there's a place. If he goes to UT, Briles would no longer have complete control over the kind of players they chase (remember UT didn't consider RG3 a good QB prospect?), and the actual quality of UT's recruits can be judged by the Longhorn players who go on to the NFL. When's the last time you thought of a Longhorn first when you talked about the draft board for Quarterbacks? Receivers? Running Backs? Linebackers? Et cetera, folks.

Facilities? Baylor used to be a sad place for the tools, but besides the new stadium, Baylor has state-of-the-art facilities at every level, every bit as good as anything in Austin. There's no upgrade to moving to UT.

Coaching Staff? Briles just locked in his team with raises in new contracts and pretty much everyone agrees that this was smart, because BU's coordinators and assistants are the best in the Big XII. Again, moving to Austin would surely not be an improvement, it may be a real step down.

Media love? After Griffin's Heisman and the Big XII Championship, Baylor's claimed a spot in the limelight and with the players and coaches in place, there's already talk about Baylor repeating as conference champion and making real runs at the 2014 Heisman and the first Championship Playoff. Again, nothing to gain by defecting to the Longhorns.

All that's left are legacy and money. Art's already won a level of fame at Baylor that makes him immortal if he stays here. Going to Austin means he'll be supported by the regents only as long as he wins all the time. Briles is smart enough to know the Burnt Manure HC job means politics, kissing up to the regents, and being compared to Royal and Brown for as long as he's there. As for money, when you're already making multi-million every year, and with everything else considered, quitting Baylor for Texas just to make more money when you're already set for life would be short-sighted, mercenary, foolish and naive. Briles is none of those things, but the people pulling these rumors up from the cesspool do strike me as foolish and jerkwad enough to think that way.

Briles could go to Texas. But he won't. And next year, when Briles is leading the Bears to a natty, the losers spreading these rumors now can expect to be reminded and receive the consequences of their disrespect for Briles.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 08:01:14 PM »
God's work, ben ji.

Offline NDSU Lollypopkid

• servicing the good witch
  • Dances With Wolves Aggie
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 08:06:53 PM »
Texas is taking George O'leary  :cheers: (<-me and George)
titletown..lulz

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 08:09:15 PM »
Briles would have to deal with the insane expectations of the most entitled-feeling fan base in the country. In the last 50 years every Texas coach except for Darrell Royal has been fired, and some high powered regents (Frank Erwin and others) wanted to fire Royal as well.

How long will it take the Longhorn fan base to turn on him if he doesn't immediately start winning conference and national championships?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 08:13:24 PM »
OK, let's cut to the chase - what, exactly, does UT offer that would entice Art Briles to leave Baylor?

Recruiting? There was a time when UT was king of the blue chips, but Art's worked real hard and by all reports is at a place where a lot of good players come to him, asking if there's a place. If he goes to UT, Briles would no longer have complete control over the kind of players they chase (remember UT didn't consider RG3 a good QB prospect?), and the actual quality of UT's recruits can be judged by the Longhorn players who go on to the NFL. When's the last time you thought of a Longhorn first when you talked about the draft board for Quarterbacks? Receivers? Running Backs? Linebackers? Et cetera, folks.

Facilities? Baylor used to be a sad place for the tools, but besides the new stadium, Baylor has state-of-the-art facilities at every level, every bit as good as anything in Austin. There's no upgrade to moving to UT.

Coaching Staff? Briles just locked in his team with raises in new contracts and pretty much everyone agrees that this was smart, because BU's coordinators and assistants are the best in the Big XII. Again, moving to Austin would surely not be an improvement, it may be a real step down.

Media love? After Griffin's Heisman and the Big XII Championship, Baylor's claimed a spot in the limelight and with the players and coaches in place, there's already talk about Baylor repeating as conference champion and making real runs at the 2014 Heisman and the first Championship Playoff. Again, nothing to gain by defecting to the Longhorns.

All that's left are legacy and money. Art's already won a level of fame at Baylor that makes him immortal if he stays here. Going to Austin means he'll be supported by the regents only as long as he wins all the time. Briles is smart enough to know the Burnt Manure HC job means politics, kissing up to the regents, and being compared to Royal and Brown for as long as he's there. As for money, when you're already making multi-million every year, and with everything else considered, quitting Baylor for Texas just to make more money when you're already set for life would be short-sighted, mercenary, foolish and naive. Briles is none of those things, but the people pulling these rumors up from the cesspool do strike me as foolish and jerkwad enough to think that way.

Briles could go to Texas. But he won't. And next year, when Briles is leading the Bears to a natty, the losers spreading these rumors now can expect to be reminded and receive the consequences of their disrespect for Briles.

Quite a series of rationalizations.

Offline lopakman

• Katpak'r
  • #1Wiggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 08:16:07 PM »

:lol:
@lopakman

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 08:20:50 PM »
If this happens do you think we could get Bennett back?
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 08:21:41 PM »
I hope that guy that posted the super A+ source rumor didn't get neg rep'd.

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 08:23:56 PM »

I think Phil would go to Austin with Briles. He has deep family ties in TX.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 08:25:39 PM »
Rumor that I am hearing is that Briles is (will be) gone and Montgomery is going to be offered the head coach position. Bennett will be the highest paid D-coordinator.

This came from my bro-in-law (who is in Phoenix). He stated that he heard it from "a friend of a friend of friend of Ian".

He isn't one to just text me stuff. I'm not one to post conjecture.

I don't care if you call BS or neg rep me. I'm just passing what I heard.

I hope (pray) that Briles is staying at Baylor. I hope that this is JUST Ian's backup plan.
Is this the guy you're referring too?  :lol:

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 08:26:31 PM »

Snyder wouldn't offer anyway. 

Offline HELLHAMMER

• Katpak'r
  • BO DARVILLE'S STUNT DOUBLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 08:27:03 PM »

:ROFL:
High on Crack, Toting a Machine Gun

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2014, 08:42:16 PM »

we have a good d coord already, fwiw
emaw

Online OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2014, 08:45:17 PM »

Would definitely give our defense a bolt of excitement. (Are we doing this, or no?)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2014, 08:47:56 PM »
 :nono:

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2014, 08:48:34 PM »
I would be shocked if Bennett ever ends up back at Kansas State.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2014, 08:49:31 PM »
I would be shocked if Bennett ever ends up back at Kansas State.

i would rather have tom hayes

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2014, 08:50:57 PM »
Baylor has really nice facilities, the difference is that UT puts 90-100,000 people in the stands.  Baylor needs expanded greatness to remove the tarps in a 50,000 seat stadium and while they're building a really nice stadium, it's smaller than their old one.

Offline EMAWesome

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2014, 08:57:15 PM »

:bawl:

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2014, 09:03:16 PM »
 :dubious:
emaw

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2014, 09:21:33 PM »
The Phil Bennett jokes are really not funny.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2014, 09:22:46 PM »
Also, despite their persuasive arguments, I still say Texas is a better job than Baylor