Author Topic: Sporting KC Thread!! (Featuring All of MLS and sometimes Mexican Leagues too)  (Read 654936 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Sporting KC Thread!! (Featuring All of MLS and sometimes Mexican Leagues too)
« Reply #10950 on: November 26, 2023, 11:19:27 PM »
Absolutely robbed, rough ridin' insanity

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Sporting KC Thread!! (Featuring All of MLS and sometimes Mexican Leagues too)
« Reply #10951 on: November 27, 2023, 09:27:03 AM »
I don't know how I keep watching soccer when poor calls ruin seasons so often

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10952 on: November 27, 2023, 10:30:29 AM »
so dumb it's hard to comprehend

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10953 on: November 27, 2023, 10:58:03 AM »
Should have been hand ball/red card, changes the entire complexion of the game.  Having said that, holy crap we did not look like the team that ran thru St. Louis.  3 weeks off and our guys looked more gassed than they did on 3 days rest between the play in game and the game in St. Louis.  Hardly had any of the ball and when we got it it was hard to keep it.  The whole format of the playoffs, to the huge international break right in the middle of it, to the crap officiating, i don't know why i bother spending the money i do supporting this, it's so frustrating.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10954 on: November 27, 2023, 11:40:51 AM »
their performance last night matched my performance as a fan (oh crap we play tonight)

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10955 on: November 27, 2023, 12:24:11 PM »
same. bad timing with traveling home from thanksgiving / cats loss depression / chiefs game

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10956 on: December 22, 2023, 11:04:08 AM »
Luis Suarez to Inter Miami now, Sporting will host the 2016 Barca team in April!

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10957 on: December 22, 2023, 07:07:42 PM »
I've been the biggest MLS honk in the great plains, but the league is really starting to piss me off.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10958 on: December 27, 2023, 09:54:29 AM »
Looks like I should be able to get season tix and recoup about 80% the cost by selling the Miami game

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10959 on: December 27, 2023, 10:25:11 AM »
I've been the biggest MLS honk in the great plains, but the league is really starting to piss me off.
Can you explain to me, a dumb guy, why the European promotion/relegation model and calendar wouldn't work?

Online Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10960 on: December 27, 2023, 10:55:17 AM »
Can you explain to me, a dumb guy, why the European promotion/relegation model and calendar wouldn't work?

The calendar and the promotion/relegation model could very well work in the US. The reasons they likely won't be implemented have to do with money and the status of MLS in US sports.

Of the two, I think it is more likely that the calendar could get changed to match the European calendar. However, the reason this probably won't happen is that the current MLS calendar limits competition with the NFL. There is going to always be some overlap between the two seasons, but the current MLS calendar minimizes that. Also, a good amount of the overlap is the MLS playoffs, which has more draw than regular season games. Additionally, with a large part of the regular season in the summer, the only main competition is baseball for a few months. I also think the desire to limit cold-weather games in December, January and February plays into the current calendar. I imagine the thinking is that the cold weather would limit attendance. There could also be an argument about the risk of injury in cold weather. Even the NFL doesn't play any cold weather games in February.

I would love for promotion/relegation to be put into the US Soccer pyramid. It's not going to happen, though. MLS owners would be putting too much money at risk to ever endorse it. The revenue hit that would come with being relegated would be huge and no businessman is ever going to agree to introduce that risk. There is the potential that promotion/relegation would increase interest and grow the game, but I think that would be very limited. The people that care about it are likely already soccer fans and a lot of non-soccer fans don't even know what it is.

In terms of promotion/relegation, I think a more likely outcome is that leagues like the Premier League will get rid of it. I'm not saying that will happen, but it is more likely than MLS introducing promotion/relegation.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10961 on: December 27, 2023, 11:38:02 AM »

The calendar and the promotion/relegation model could very well work in the US. The reasons they likely won't be implemented have to do with money and the status of MLS in US sports.

Of the two, I think it is more likely that the calendar could get changed to match the European calendar. However, the reason this probably won't happen is that the current MLS calendar limits competition with the NFL. There is going to always be some overlap between the two seasons, but the current MLS calendar minimizes that. Also, a good amount of the overlap is the MLS playoffs, which has more draw than regular season games. Additionally, with a large part of the regular season in the summer, the only main competition is baseball for a few months. I also think the desire to limit cold-weather games in December, January and February plays into the current calendar. I imagine the thinking is that the cold weather would limit attendance. There could also be an argument about the risk of injury in cold weather. Even the NFL doesn't play any cold weather games in February.

I would love for promotion/relegation to be put into the US Soccer pyramid. It's not going to happen, though. MLS owners would be putting too much money at risk to ever endorse it. The revenue hit that would come with being relegated would be huge and no businessman is ever going to agree to introduce that risk. There is the potential that promotion/relegation would increase interest and grow the game, but I think that would be very limited. The people that care about it are likely already soccer fans and a lot of non-soccer fans don't even know what it is.

In terms of promotion/relegation, I think a more likely outcome is that leagues like the Premier League will get rid of it. I'm not saying that will happen, but it is more likely than MLS introducing promotion/relegation.

Thank you

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10962 on: December 27, 2023, 12:12:16 PM »

We'll start with the calendar. The climate is just too much to overcome to play the European calendar. People try to dismiss that but the climate matters, it's the same reason why we just had a winter world cup and will have another one when Saudi Arabia hosts in 2034. Places that have harsh climates in Europe; Poland, Czech Republic, and Ukraine, take winter breaks and their winter isn't nearly as harsh as many places in North America. I've been to the UK and Poland in the dead ass of winter, a lot, and the climate in both of those places is closer to Kansas City than Toronto. The MLS have franchises in the following cities, all outdoor stadiums. Montreal, Toronto, Boston, New York x2, Philadelphia, Chicago, Columbus, Cincinnati, St. Paul, Denver, and Salt Lake City. Fans don't want to watch games in those conditions and more importantly, players don't want to play in them. Go back to qualifying for the 2022 World Cup. Canada actually made the last round of qualifying and the USMNT tried to get cute with qualifying and place some matches in the Midwest in winter and it was absolutely miserable. Also, winter is much longer in the US than in Europe, playing every week in November to March would be a total nightmare.

As far as pro/rel the reason that it doesn't work in the United States is that the sport is too new and the disparity between the teams is much broader than that in Europe. When discussing pro/rel people often focus on the teams that would move down, and they should, but the focus really should be on the teams that would move up. The difference between lower level EPL teams and Championship teams that often ride the wave of promotion/relegation is financially indistinguishable from one another. This is because these teams have over a hundred years of playing on the same level, the play was established way before billionaires ran the sport. Even with this, you look at the EPL standings now and the bottom three are the three teams that just got promoted. Everyone gets romantic about pro/rel in Europe, because it's what they've always done. But if we had that system in America, how much club growth would the Charleston Battery have if their fans could only ever hope to get to MLS from the USL Championship and finish outside of the playoffs. Burnley has a hundred years of fans growing up around Turf Moor and knowing nothing but unyielding love for Burnley. Their rivals are other clubs of similar size and if similar fate. That system works because outside of maybe 8 or 9 clubs, the other 130 or so know they aren't winning the EPL, a system like that would never work here.

The EPL is only 30 years old and it was created so that the big clubs didn't have to play on an even level with the also rans. The trend is going away from pro/rel because the people that own these teams don't want their heavy investment compromised. Mexico has stopped using a true pro/rel system. The European Super League is the same concept, clubs Luke Madrid doesn't want their place in the richest tournament in the world to be compromised in favor of some team from Croatia with a seven figure valuation.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10963 on: December 28, 2023, 08:32:23 AM »
not to mention the size of the US vs England and the travel costs of having lower level teams on each coast being forced to play each other in a pro/rel system

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10964 on: December 28, 2023, 03:57:15 PM »
Yep, that too

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10965 on: January 03, 2024, 10:51:26 AM »
I don't know how I keep watching soccer when poor calls ruin seasons so often

Season tickets acquired.  It took me a little over a month from this post to become even more invested in soccer

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10966 on: January 03, 2024, 11:27:35 AM »
welcome to the club!  i'm really hoping they sign a DP to replace Kinda, and hope my daughter doesn't have a game or out of town tourney when Inter Miami comes to town. 

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10967 on: January 03, 2024, 04:50:12 PM »
welcome to the club!  i'm really hoping they sign a DP to replace Kinda, and hope my daughter doesn't have a game or out of town tourney when Inter Miami comes to town. 

I'm selling my Inter Miami.  They mentioned a season tix presale for additional Miami seats, which I will try and buy.  If I get more tix to it, I might go (although selling them all and paying for my season tix and beer for the season sounds pretty good too).  If I had a kid or niece/nephew who was really into soccer, I would probably use them.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10968 on: January 04, 2024, 08:42:40 AM »
gonna suck if most people like you do the same and the local argentina/messi fanbase buy them all up and it's essentially a home game for miami

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10969 on: January 04, 2024, 08:43:19 AM »
counterpoint, will also suck if i go and messi doesn't play

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10970 on: January 08, 2024, 11:55:01 AM »
sounds like this game (Inter Miami) is getting moved to Arrowhead.  kick in the nuts to STM's

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10971 on: January 08, 2024, 03:52:28 PM »
Yeah.  At least they're doing the season ticket member presale.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10972 on: January 08, 2024, 03:54:39 PM »
last thing i want to do is flip tickets to a bunch of messi fans.  wanted to watch this game in CMP

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10973 on: January 09, 2024, 09:47:15 AM »
I will post the Jackson County presale code we get as Chiefs employees here.
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10974 on: January 10, 2024, 10:43:28 AM »
Presale prices show lower bowl, behind the goal member section as $100.  Upper levels $50-80, regular lower bowl $200+.  These are supposedly discounted for season ticket holders so gen public is likely higher.