Author Topic: Sporting KC Thread!! (Featuring All of MLS and sometimes Mexican Leagues too)  (Read 655890 times)

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
literally everyone in the world disagrees except you, belvis

I'd wager that Jurgen Klinsmann would agree with me.  but, I'm sure he's just an idiot too. 

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
Like, if a good past prime player NBA went to a European league for the twilight of his career, said player would assumably be one the best players in that League, without playing a game. we know this because the NBA, like the EPL, are the best leagues in the world for their reflective sports.

That's why they don't have to play a game against MLS competition for me to know that they're already better than most guys in this League.

MLS is in no way comparable to a Euro basketball  league. Unlike basketball the best talent in soccer is spread all around the world not all in one league.

If you can't get past the league comparison you are grossly overestimating the current impact of these guys. If you want to stick with the basketball comparisons these two guys are like sticking the current versions of KG and Manu in a league full of guys younger and fitter.

and yeah, I think KG and Manu would still be stars in the best non-NBA basketball leagues around the world.  even as old, slow, past-prime shells of their former selves.

MLS is great fun and it's getting better.  but, it's still a league where past-prime guys from the best leagues can come play and be amongst the best.     
That is absolutely not relevant to the point he was making

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
Gio is official. Gonzo no longer a DP

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
https://twitter.com/rgvfc/status/621395423001874432

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shots fired at gE.c's official favorite USL team Austin Aztex :sdeek:

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Like, if a good past prime player NBA went to a European league for the twilight of his career, said player would assumably be one the best players in that League, without playing a game. we know this because the NBA, like the EPL, are the best leagues in the world for their reflective sports.

That's why they don't have to play a game against MLS competition for me to know that they're already better than most guys in this League.

MLS is in no way comparable to a Euro basketball  league. Unlike basketball the best talent in soccer is spread all around the world not all in one league.

If you can't get past the league comparison you are grossly overestimating the current impact of these guys. If you want to stick with the basketball comparisons these two guys are like sticking the current versions of KG and Manu in a league full of guys younger and fitter.

and yeah, I think KG and Manu would still be stars in the best non-NBA basketball leagues around the world.  even as old, slow, past-prime shells of their former selves.

MLS is great fun and it's getting better.  but, it's still a league where past-prime guys from the best leagues can come play and be amongst the best.     
That is absolutely not relevant to the point he was making

"If you want to stick with the basketball comparisons these two guys are like sticking the current versions of KG and Manu in a league full of guys younger and fitter."

In other words, Lampard and Gerrard in the MLS would be like sticking KC and Manu in good international pro league.  My point is that current KG and Manu would still be stars in other pro leagues - just like current Lampard and Gerrard will be stars in the MLS.  I don't have to wait to see them in action to know this.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
My bad, Belvis, carry on

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
You're still an idiot

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I can think of this happening  maybe once with Robbie Keane, I'd even give you twice with Henry. You can't count Beckham because he was sought-after in Europe the entire time he was here and even went back when he was done. So even if you did count him that's three guys max in the entire history of the league, not nearly enough to anoint every Euro that comes over one of the best.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I can think of this happening  maybe once with Robbie Keane, I'd even give you twice with Henry. You can't count Beckham because he was sought-after in Europe the entire time he was here and even went back when he was done. So even if you did count him that's three guys max in the entire history of the league, not nearly enough to anoint every Euro that comes over one of the best.

not talking about "every Euro that comes over."  talking about guys from the best leagues - EPL, la liga, etc.  past-prime stars like Kaka and Villa came over and, not-surprisingly, they're amongst the league goal leaders.  predict Lampard and Gerrard will quickly join that list.  I read that Drogba might be MLS-bound. again, I predict he'll be amongst the best - don't have to wait to watch a game. 

I think it's a good thing to bring these guys over.  obvs, the league agrees.  it's good for the image and increases exposure.     

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
:facepalm:

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Belvis, what do you think about adding commercials to MLS TV broadcasts to increase revenue?

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
seems like we're talking about two separate issues: a) whether good players who come in from other leagues should be automatically placed in the ASG without playing a minute and b) whether good players who come in from other leagues go on to become top performers in MLS.

(a) is complete bullshit, and (b) sometimes happens, sometimes doesn't.  the league is already very heavy-handed in their tactics to get foreign talent to come here (i get the league's effort, and i get the occasional backlash against it from existing MLS players), but it's more or less been a balancing act that hasn't gone too far off the rails one way or another.  these unnecessary ASG designations send it over the edge for me, and pretty much universally everyone else from players to fans.

it's not like the fans were clamoring for their inclusion and they didn't make the cut - it's just a business decision by the commissioner which is wildly unpopular and antagonistic to the rest of the league

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
'bias is right

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Belvis, what do you think about adding commercials to MLS TV broadcasts to increase revenue?

lol

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
seems like we're talking about two separate issues: a) whether good players who come in from other leagues should be automatically placed in the ASG without playing a minute and b) whether good players who come in from other leagues go on to become top performers in MLS.

(a) is complete bullshit, and (b) sometimes happens, sometimes doesn't.  the league is already very heavy-handed in their tactics to get foreign talent to come here (i get the league's effort, and i get the occasional backlash against it from existing MLS players), but it's more or less been a balancing act that hasn't gone too far off the rails one way or another.  these unnecessary ASG designations send it over the edge for me, and pretty much universally everyone else from players to fans.

it's not like the fans were clamoring for their inclusion and they didn't make the cut - it's just a business decision by the commissioner which is wildly unpopular and antagonistic to the rest of the league

I won't dispute you on Topic A.  But, it's very different to argue (1) they shouldn't be all stars because they aren't MLS players yet and (2) they shouldn't be all stars because they haven't played against MLS talent yet and, therefore, haven't yet proven their value.  I can see argument 1.  I think argument 2 is pretty Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) given the level of talent in top Euro leagues compared to the MLS.

regarding stars from top euro leagues that landed in the MLS, I don't believe there are many, if any at all, who haven't been stars in the MLS.  The fact is that there haven't been many of them in the first place.  the only real stars I'm aware of are Keane, Beckham, Henry, Villa, and Kaka.  Obviously Lampard and Gerrard just got here.  And then there are a whole host of Americans that have returned to the MLS from euro leagues and all of them are stars.  I'm sure there are some guys that floated around internationally before coming to MLS.  I'm just not really finding many guys that were successful abroad and then came to MLS and couldn't cut it.   

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

maybe they could air them during water breaks. 

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

maybe they could air them during water orange slice breaks. 
:D

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
Best rivalry in MLS is on tonight #CaliforniaClasico

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
is this their third time playing each other in like three weeks?  watched the first one and it was immensely fun

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
Seems like those games average like 7 to 9 goals :excited:

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
it's one of those few times i actually seek out an SJ match :thumbs:

Offline mocat