Author Topic: Calling all Lawyers  (Read 16468 times)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Calling all Lawyers
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2013, 09:03:21 AM »
well in his first post he said he bought a house with a satellite on the side a year ago and then in a more recent post he said "I'm trying to comply with everything they have asked and placed the dish on the least visible side of my house"

so question number one is- was the satellite there when you bought it like you originally said or did you put it there knowing what the hoa rules were.

question two-where do you live?

question three-who were the two people that lived there before you?

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2013, 09:10:02 AM »
Drive around your neighborhood and find other satellite dishes that the HOA has allowed/not done anything about.  Take pictures and then in the next meeting throw the pics in their faces Matlock/My Cousin Vinny style.
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2013, 09:14:30 AM »
no crap your neighbor wants you to take it down, she cant see the street!

Nobody asked the Canadians. Do you guys even have satellite available in that barren hell hole up north?

:horrorsurprise: just realized lollypopkid may be Pete's legendary Canadian friend? If so, :thumbs:
:adios:

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2013, 09:15:37 AM »
You're going to have to feed poison to the members of the board's pets.  Its really the only way to regain the upper hand and keep your great TV deal. 

The Big Train

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2013, 09:15:55 AM »
well in his first post he said he bought a house with a satellite on the side a year ago and then in a more recent post he said "I'm trying to comply with everything they have asked and placed the dish on the least visible side of my house"

so question number one is- was the satellite there when you bought it like you originally said or did you put it there knowing what the hoa rules were.

question two-where do you live?

question three-who were the two people that lived there before you?

1. Dish was existing when I bought the house. When DirecTV came out to give me new receivers and such, they replaced the dish 1 for 1. Same holes, same mounting bracket, same everything.

2. Overland Park, KS

3. I can't give that info away or else it'll reveal who I really am and i'm not ready for that here on goEMAW yet...not until I meet you all at Fatty Fest 2014. Lets say you will all know both of them though... My real life friend TheBigTrain can vouch...

Matt Cassel isn't really that famous FWIW.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2013, 09:21:59 AM »
Shellshock sounds like a terrible person.

Maybe the HOA is being a dick to make him move away?

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2013, 09:23:04 AM »
  convert to islam and sue them for discrimination.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2013, 09:29:53 AM »
im a lawyer. pm me your address so i can take a look.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2013, 09:30:46 AM »
You're going to have to feed poison to the members of the board's pets.  Its really the only way to regain the upper hand and keep your great TV deal.

Maybe my neighbors dog, that SOAB barks all the freaking time. One antifreeze soaked meatball will take care of his barking... I haven't done it yet because I feel for their kids as they really like the dog. I'm going to start the tactic of a BB gun from my deck first to see if we can train that sucker to not bark. maybe a cause and effect teaching?

Neighbor's dog is not enough.  They will think you are soft if they even put it together at all.  You have to respond to this slight by essentially carpet-bombing the neighborhood.  Leave nobody doubting the consequences of coming after you.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2013, 09:32:12 AM »
You sound like a cheap rough rider.  If the rules say no dish and you agreed to no dish then you can't have a dish.  Why are you rough ridin' with your neighbors who have a very clear rule that is in the place for the benefit of your property values?  If you got a better deal with TW and took the dish down I bet you'd be the first one to whie if your neighbor put up a dish.

If I were on the board I'd lien your shanty just to prove a point.  Go ahead and try and convince some JOCO judge that HOA regs that you signed are pre-empted by a Federal law.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2013, 09:40:11 AM »
You should just leave the dish up and let them take you to court. Let the courts sort it out. You just might be right, ShellShock.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2013, 09:42:12 AM »
Anti-freeze is cheaper than legal fees, that's what I always say

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2013, 09:43:06 AM »
You should just leave the dish up and let them take you to court. Let the courts sort it out. You just might be right, ShellShock.

They don't have to take him to court.  They can just slap a lien on his hovel.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2013, 09:45:06 AM »
We're all kind of ignoring the main point.  Who the eff has dish, anyway?   

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2013, 09:49:15 AM »
FORGET THE DISH, LETS TALK ABOUT HOW YOU NEED SOME LAWN CARE!!!

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2013, 09:50:24 AM »
did not read thread.  Paint the dish camo, then tell the HOA it's been taken down. 

you're welcome.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2013, 09:51:00 AM »
We're all kind of ignoring the main point.  Who the eff has dish, anyway?   

I love DirecTV. I don't care if I'm trashy for having a dish on my roof.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2013, 09:52:58 AM »
Let them lien your house.  They have a year to take action before the lien expires.  At that time, they can lien you again, but it is the same process.  If you have not intention of moving in a long time, they will get tired of filing the $100 lien yearly and just stop.  If you do sell your house soon(or refi), I am pretty sure they will have to come up with some reasonable value of the infraction that would have to be sorted out and settled up before the sale could be completed.  What is the value of a quasi hidden dish?  If it is simply the cost to remove it, then that is super easy.  Put the house up for sale but note that the dish is not staying in the sellers disclosure.  Then sell your house and remove the dish.

I am not a lawyer, but it seems like this would work.

Also, just have Direct TV relocate the rough ridin' dish so that it is on your back roof line.  Still get the exposure needed and your neighborhood won't look like the trailer park it does now.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2013, 09:54:50 AM »

Here's my house and this is the only angle that you can see the dish.

Ben ji: I'm not a terrible person, I just don't like being bullied for no apparent reason. There's no logical explanation that the HOA has that makes me say, "You know what, you're right...i'll take it down"

I'm very easy to get along with and i'm a good neighbor. The dish doesn't degrade property values any more than the yard art that my neighbors have set up. I've checked with all of my neighbors and they're all fine with it being up and agree that the HOA is overstepping their authority. Hell, one of my neighbors is on the board currently and I use to be on the board. I believe it's just a retaliation tactic at this point.

Limestone: There's nothing cheap about me. I am remodeling a house by myself because I love construction and design so i'm trying the best that I can do get everything looking pristine. It just takes time as I do a better job than most contractors would and am pretty meticulous when it comes to finish work. I'm not about to whine about what my neighbors do because it's their house, they can do with it what they want. If you think that a satellite dish that's a quarter the size of a condensing unit is degrading property value more than the condensing unit itself then you're out of your mind. That's not even mentioning hose reels, trash containers, leaf containers, etc. There are larger battles to fight when it comes to accusing people of degrading property values due to satellite dishes.

EDIT: The house on the right is mine, the left one is my neighbors.

Keep justifying why you should be the exception to the exact rules you agreed to.  But its to save money versus cable tv, which is being cheap.  I mean, you have a satellite dish on the very front of your house.  You don't see that outside of Tongie.  Are you putting up an above ground pool this spring?  When are you putting the chainlink fence and dog kennel in your back yard?

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2013, 09:56:24 AM »

That's my neighbors yard that needs care. They're some wealthy doctors/pharmacists from the Czech Republic that hoard money and never pay anyone to do anything...that's a whole different story though.

Oh, the old super rich but don't show it Czechs.  Tell them their dog crap yard is killing your property values.  That looks like a rental in Manhattan where they all park on the yard.

Offline NDSU Lollypopkid

• servicing the good witch
  • Dances With Wolves Aggie
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2013, 09:58:57 AM »
no crap your neighbor wants you to take it down, she cant see the street!

Nobody asked the Canadians. Do you guys even have satellite available in that barren hell hole up north?
Repetitive jokes?

Put the dish where your meth lab is

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

titletown..lulz

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2013, 10:00:07 AM »
eff, until the edit I thought that was one house.  Move somewhere where you have more than 2 feet between you and your neighbor.  Also, check the HOA rules re: dishes for wherever you move.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2013, 10:02:10 AM »
Let them lien your house.  They have a year to take action before the lien expires.  At that time, they can lien you again, but it is the same process.  If you have not intention of moving in a long time, they will get tired of filing the $100 lien yearly and just stop.  If you do sell your house soon(or refi), I am pretty sure they will have to come up with some reasonable value of the infraction that would have to be sorted out and settled up before the sale could be completed.  What is the value of a quasi hidden dish?  If it is simply the cost to remove it, then that is super easy.  Put the house up for sale but note that the dish is not staying in the sellers disclosure.  Then sell your house and remove the dish.

I am not a lawyer, but it seems like this would work.

Also, just have Direct TV relocate the rough ridin' dish so that it is on your back roof line.  Still get the exposure needed and your neighborhood won't look like the trailer park it does now.

Thanks for the input CNS!

The problem is that it can't be visible from the street per the HOA regulations. Every freaking place I can move it to is visible from the street and the one place that it's not is too far away from the house for the coax to run per DirecTV's regulations. I have literally caught the HOA president walking on three sides of my house (all sidewalks of course) looking for the satellite as she's a nazi. Her house looks like trash so i'm not sure why she's bitching at me. She's retired and probably has nothing better to do anyways. She also does a weekly neighborhood drive through to look at all the houses in the neighborhood.

I'm not moving for a long, long time so the wait it out method might actually work. So you're saying that they will have to pay $100 per year to keep the lien active with no yearly penalty to me?

You should get a gun and judge that nazi the next time she comes by. She is casing your house and you have to protect what's yours.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2013, 10:02:32 AM »

That's my neighbors yard that needs care. They're some wealthy doctors/pharmacists from the Czech Republic that hoard money and never pay anyone to do anything...that's a whole different story though.

Oh, the old super rich but don't show it Czechs.  Tell them their dog crap yard is killing your property values.  That looks like a rental in Manhattan where they all park on the yard.

youre a softie now, 'stone.

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2013, 10:05:30 AM »
eff, until the edit I thought that was one house.  Move somewhere where you have more than 2 feet between you and your neighbor.  Also, check the HOA rules re: dishes for wherever you move.

The angle of the picture is deceiving though for distance between houses. My property line is about 5' from their house. So the distance from the dish to the property line between the houses is upwards of 20'. The neighbors don't care at all about the satellite dish though. The fully support me having it and are super nice about everything that do. My only complaint is their dog.