Author Topic: Assessment of Waters  (Read 7156 times)

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Assessment of Waters
« on: August 30, 2013, 11:14:32 PM »
By cooler heads and knowledgeable fans, not carnes and the like.
I didn't see enough to think he should play in front of an electric player like Sams. Seems to hold the ball too long and didn't throw well on the run. That's my facile judgment, but would like to hear from those who know the game better than me.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Assessment of Waters
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 11:21:59 PM »
By cooler heads and knowledgeable fans, not carnes and the like.
I didn't see enough to think he should play in front of an electric player like Sams. Seems to hold the ball too long and didn't throw well on the run. That's my facile judgment, but would like to hear from those who know the game better than me.

Waters had a few nice throws. The rest of the team simply isn't good enough to drop back and pass on 70%+ of the plays we run and expect to win. We need a dual threat QB to move the chains and score points on a consistent basis or we are not going to win any conference games.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 11:23:48 PM »
its a joke we couldn't run the ball that was the problem
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 11:26:06 PM »
So we were moving the chains throwing in the flat on first down and taking advantage of Thompson and Lockett's speed on the outside. Then we didn't do it after we went up 21-7. Kind of WTF for me.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 11:28:06 PM »
Stud passer utilized horribly.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 11:28:37 PM »
So we were moving the chains throwing in the flat on first down and taking advantage of Thompson and Lockett's speed on the outside. Then we didn't do it after we went up 21-7. Kind of WTF for me.

Sams is the only reason we went up 21-7. If we would have left waters in there, we only go up 17-7.

Offline balzack

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 11:29:42 PM »
Seemed like Snyder thought he still had Klein with some of the play calls.  Waters can move around the pocket but he isn't the kind of QB that can put his head down and pickup a couple extra yards.

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 11:30:07 PM »
Very well could be, but the the throws to the flat were good in lieu of a running game. Kind of weird we abandoned them.

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 11:30:39 PM »
I may not be an expert,   but ill certainly be more objective than most here,  I imagine.

Waters really looked like a guy who was playing in his first big boy game. He was entirely too slow making check-downs,  but he had almost zero help from that O-line. The more important problem I saw was decision making,  or more specifically,  the lack of it. The combination of having no help to find time to make the right decisions and the fact that he apparently needs MORE than a whole offseason to get ONE play called did not a good plan make.

Truly sorry about this loss,  guys. T's and P's…

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 11:31:27 PM »
Snyder questioning his use of Sams in post game, as well he ought.

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 11:33:14 PM »
He didn't have much to work with.  I thought he played a pretty great first game actually considering he had no run game and a collapsing pocket the majority of the game.  The rest of the team sucked so it probably isn't a good game to give an assessment.  Seems like they need to find an offensive leader and maybe Sams could be that guy  :dunno:

Offline TheFormerKCCat

• DoD/Early 90s Era EMAWr
  • Combo-Fan
  • Loyal to a fault
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 11:34:27 PM »
Snyder questioning his use of Sams in post game, as well he ought.
VERY telling, ¿no?
I'm in it purely for the entertainment value.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 11:34:37 PM »
He didn't have much to work with.  I thought he played a pretty great first game actually considering he had no run game and a collapsing pocket the majority of the game.  The rest of the team sucked so it probably isn't a good game to give an assessment.  Seems like they need to find an offensive leader and maybe Sams could be that guy  :dunno:

His abilities created that lack of a run game and collapsing pocket. That would not have happened if Sams were the starter and we would have played smash mouth football.

Offline Acceleration Man

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 11:34:55 PM »
I thought Waters actually played pretty well. Should never have thrown the INT in-bounds, but it shows it was his 1st game. Much more disappointed in the o-line than in Waters. You can bash him all you want, but the lack of any run game showed that the line just wasn't there tonight. If we get more consistent line play, and w/ a few games' more experience, Waters will do very well.

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 11:38:13 PM »
I'm not of Hubert hater but don't think he's really a Big 12 feature back either.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2013, 11:39:02 PM »
I thought Waters actually played pretty well. Should never have thrown the INT in-bounds, but it shows it was his 1st game. Much more disappointed in the o-line than in Waters. You can bash him all you want, but the lack of any run game showed that the line just wasn't there tonight. If we get more consistent line play, and w/ a few games' more experience, Waters will do very well.

We just don't have the personnel to expect a run game running draws out of the shotgun with little to no running threat at QB. When we lined up in the I inside of our own 5, the run game looked fine. If we had a running option at QB, the defense would have had a lot of trouble stopping the Sams/Hubert 2 headed monster. Hubert is no Sproles, though. He isn't going to do much out of the shotgun with Waters at QB, especially when all Waters can show is dink and dunk pass attempts.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2013, 11:42:20 PM »

Waters made the OLine look bad.  There is a reason a group of returners were great last year and bad this year.  The only variable is QB play.

Offline Acceleration Man

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2013, 11:43:36 PM »

We just don't have the personnel to expect a run game running draws out of the shotgun with little to no running threat at QB. When we lined up in the I inside of our own 5, the run game looked fine. If we had a running option at QB, the defense would have had a lot of trouble stopping the Sams/Hubert 2 headed monster. Hubert is no Sproles, though. He isn't going to do much out of the shotgun with Waters at QB, especially when all Waters can show is dink and dunk pass attempts.

I think that remains to be seen. Its definitely a completely different look than w/ Klein, and it looks like players and coaches alike are having a bit of a hard time breaking out of that mindset. In any event, none of that is Waters' fault.

catzacker

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2013, 11:44:27 PM »
Waters = Grant Gregory w/ a better arm?

Offline BobBarker

• Don't forget to spay and neuter your pets!
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2013, 11:45:37 PM »
I would guess Waters time is already over judging by Snyders post game. He doesn't usually say things like that. Waters might make beautiful passes but if he can't handle the pressure (and our highly touted O-line sucks balls like it did tonight) it is time to move on to a QB who can scramble.

I will also bet the Bill will never again reign in the deep pass so early in the game vs a lesser opponent.

Point 3: the KU alum built statue that looks like Bill with downs has to go.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2013, 11:47:28 PM »

I think that remains to be seen. Its definitely a completely different look than w/ Klein, and it looks like players and coaches alike are having a bit of a hard time breaking out of that mindset. In any event, none of that is Waters' fault.

I agree. None of this is Waters' fault. It's Bill's fault. That said, Bill has a QB on the sidelines perfectly capable of moving the chains and scoring tons of points in his offense, yet he sticks with Waters, who through no fault of his own, can't even beat an FCS team. Waters should have never signed with us. He would have made a great backup. Instead, he won the starting job and lost to North Dakota rough ridin' State.

Offline Stat_Cat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2013, 11:48:02 PM »
Waters is Marc Dunn 2.0.  Great juco qb that had an amazing team around him but does not fit in what we do.

Offline Legit Elite

• Resident Vanier Barber
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2013, 11:48:53 PM »
My assessment of the waters:  not smooth or calm
Free edge up to defensive starters when opponents held under 10.

Offline FuzzyWuzzy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2013, 11:49:30 PM »
you know it's a bad loss when the hoopies are offering Ts and Ps   :drink:

Offline PandaXpanda

• Katpak'r
  • "is it too soon after 9/11 to be wearing pleats?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2013, 11:50:12 PM »