Author Topic: It is that time of year again...  (Read 21739 times)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Re: It is that time of year again...
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2014, 04:50:40 PM »
Thoughts on this 4th down play I just drew up?

O                         O O O O O                                   O

OO  O
                                                ^
                                                 |
                                        _____|
                                       /
                                      /
                                    /
                                  O
----5---------------------------------------------------------5----
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 05:23:08 PM by Spracne »

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2014, 04:52:44 PM »
And I agree youth football would be ridiculously difficult to coach. It should be 7 on 7 (or 6 on 6) until at least junior high, and probably high school. Let every kid take turns at every skill position, it would be better for everyone.

There is very little passing/catching in youth football, like maybe 5-10 attempts a game at most.

well, yeah. the coaches are mostly concerned with winning and not developing athletes. (see: this thread)

And you could develop a hybrid version of 7 on 7 that involves some sort of running game and no tackling/hitting that would be more appropriate for youth.
They already have that it is called flag football.  Different strokes for different folks, ya know.  Live and let live, why does there have to be one right answer? 
Also, do you have a guess as to why your question was so stupid that it caused me to question if you had the basic knowledge to even be in this conversation?

There doesn't have to be one right answer, but it's obvious the system you are working in can be improved, don't you think? Yet you seem to vigorously defend a system that led you to start a thread to complain about.

Also, good coaches should be able to defend their actions or answer questions they don't want to hear without acting like a child.

When you work out every kid at QB, then you also have to work every kid out at all of the other positions if you are going to field a team. I don't think most teams practice more than a few hours per week. It would be incredibly hard to teach kids blocking assignments, handoffs, routes, passing mechanics, tackling techniques, pass coverage techniques, etc. with that amount of practice time. It really only would work under a 7 on 7 scenario.
Yes, we all know it is a dumb assertion and mich knows it too, but he is GEing his little heart out.

pretty sure I explicitly suggested it being 7 on 7? :confused:

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2014, 04:54:01 PM »
Thoughts on this 4th down play I just drew up?

O                         O O O O O                                   O

OO  O

O

Seems risky to run out of, especially on your own 10 yard line
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2014, 08:02:59 PM »
As a former and future coach of youngsters, I'm not so sure I would want Fedor coaching WonderMealina, WonderMeal Jr., or WonderMealette.

Would def want someone like _FAN coaching them.

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2014, 08:34:22 PM »
As a former and future coach of youngsters, I'm not so sure I would want Fedor coaching WonderMealina, WonderMeal Jr., or WonderMealette.

did you even see the plays i drew up?
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 22, 2014, 01:33:30 AM »
I was asked to coach my oldest sons 4th grade basketball team after the area director could find no one else.  Did it never thinking it was something I would do long term.  Needless to say, I got hooked and 15 years later I had coached 11 seasons of basketball (head), 8 seasons of baseball (asst/head), 6 seasons of football (asst/head).  Took on a baseball and football team after my sons were out of youth sports because they needed coaches.  Nothing more rewarding then seeing kids develop from the 4th-8th grades.  The kid who scores 2 points the entire season as a 4th grader to hitting 3 pointers and scoring 20 in his final game as an eighth grader.  The scrawny kid who plays center as a 4th grader and matures to become the best combo qb/rb in middle school. Or the shy, tentative kid who didn't want the ball or want to get physical, but finally 'got it' after lots of encouragement and practice.  He chose to become a Marine and defend our country out of high school. Finally, retired to enjoy watching my youngest son playing in college now.  It did get to be a grind near the end with parents, etc.  However, I got far more from coaching than the kids ever got from me I think.  Definitely made me a better person. 

Tom

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 22, 2014, 02:23:30 AM »
I coached a summer league team with a friend. The team was 2 years younger than us. We had just graduated. We played and coached very loose. Went 20-2. The players loved us. Opposing players and coaches hated us. We coached every gamed in a suit and tie. Our offense was different every week. We adapted mid game to exploit teams weaknesses and highlight our strengths. One parent was particularly concerned that his son, our 5, wasn't getting enough development,  so we ran a shell and one one week and won both our games. His son scored 20 a game. That being said it did come with a lot of scrutiny from parents. We were winning and everyone was having fun. Our go to line of the summer was stolen from Emiril. We would call out players from the sideline and tell them to turn it up a notch. They'd reply by turning an imaginary dial. Good lord that was fun.

To speak to the original point of this thread. My sister was/is a great athlete and played a lot of flag football growing up. Every year she was the qb. Twice over the coaches son. Looking back, I applaud them. In HS, she started all four years at pg. And her fb mentality carried over. Girls would try to use the sideline as an extra defender and she'd just lower her shoulder and draw the blocking call 2/3 times. Got a few charging calls too.  Haha.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 22, 2014, 07:00:13 AM »
we should clone tom to coach all of America's youth.  maybe life coach 'em, too

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 22, 2014, 08:29:34 AM »

WM, my issue was that the head coach played his son, who was terrible, at QB and LB, for selfish reasons, refused to let anyone else develop at QB, blamed other players when his son messed up and when parents spoke out he took it out on their kids.  What is your problem with that?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 08:36:18 AM by Fedor »
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 22, 2014, 09:14:34 AM »
Quote from: michigancat
Hey Assistant Coach Know-it-all, why weren't you the head coach?
I'm not offended, you just sound like a whiner.
You also sound like you could use some work as a coach

Why are you trying so hard to aggravate me?  We can have this discussion, but please assure me that you are operating in good faith.  If you just want to troll admit it and we can both move on.

There doesn't have to be one right answer, but it's obvious the system you are working in can be improved, don't you think? Yet you seem to vigorously defend a system that led you to start a thread to complain about.

Of course a system can be improved.  However, I was not complaining about the system. I take issue with people abusing the system to the detriment of all others.

Also, good coaches should be able to defend their actions or answer questions they don't want to hear without acting like a child.

This appears to be another attempt to instigate an emotional response for your own gratification (v. weird behavior btw).  However, I will address it in a show of good faith, how you choose to respond will determine the future course of this conversation.  This, I assume, was in response to my questioning your qualifications to ask your question.   I wont back off of this but perhaps I can soften it.  You need to admit to yourself that you are arguing from a position of ignorance.  There have been no less than three people in this thread give a valid reason why your solution would not work within the framework we are working in.  It is probably time to move on to another point.  If you are not able to do this I will accept this as an admission your are not debating in good faith and again, we can both move on.

When you work out every kid at QB, then you also have to work every kid out at all of the other positions if you are going to field a team. I don't think most teams practice more than a few hours per week. It would be incredibly hard to teach kids blocking assignments, handoffs, routes, passing mechanics, tackling techniques, pass coverage techniques, etc. with that amount of practice time. It really only would work under a 7 on 7 scenario.
Yes, we all know it is a dumb assertion and mich knows it too, but he is GEing his little heart out.

pretty sure I explicitly suggested it being 7 on 7? :confused:
Covered above, flag football.  The league we are in is very up front about being a competitive league.  If there are folks that have issue with it there are other places to go.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 09:17:59 AM by Fedor »

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 22, 2014, 09:26:55 AM »
I coached Braden Smith one year.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 22, 2014, 09:30:29 AM »
How do you manage practices? Do you have coaches broken out by position?

There is nothing worse (IMO) than youth teams that just run plays for 80% of their practice, usually coaching 1 or 2 guys while the rest stand around when the play doesn't go "right". Also youth coaches thinking they need to have a playbook that is an inch thick and then when their plays "don't work" one week they change the entire offense for the next week.

There should be long portions of your practice where players are broken out by position just learning techniques (both offense and defense). If you have 3 or 4 coaches this is easy to do. There should be portions of your practice where you teach special teams. There should be very little time when kids are standing around and not learning something about the position(s) they play.

And again, my biggest issue is usually a youth coach gets one kid that is physically superior to everyone else and they think they are the Nick Saban of some 10 year old football league and their ego is fed by trying to catch Bear Bryant's win total instead of really teaching a group of kids how to play the game.

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 22, 2014, 09:44:54 AM »
How do you manage practices? Do you have coaches broken out by position?

There is nothing worse (IMO) than youth teams that just run plays for 80% of their practice, usually coaching 1 or 2 guys while the rest stand around when the play doesn't go "right". Also youth coaches thinking they need to have a playbook that is an inch thick and then when their plays "don't work" one week they change the entire offense for the next week.

There should be long portions of your practice where players are broken out by position just learning techniques (both offense and defense). If you have 3 or 4 coaches this is easy to do. There should be portions of your practice where you teach special teams. There should be very little time when kids are standing around and not learning something about the position(s) they play.

And again, my biggest issue is usually a youth coach gets one kid that is physically superior to everyone else and they think they are the Nick Saban of some 10 year old football league and their ego is fed by trying to catch Bear Bryant's win total instead of really teaching a group of kids how to play the game.
Yep, we broke out into positions for most of the practice time.  My son is through with youth football now and having seen it I agree that there is not much use for tackle football for younger kids.  I think one year before you get into middle school would be advantageous because it seemed to take a full year for a kid to get acclimated to the contact.  Flag football is probably a better option for the kids that are younger than 6th grade.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 22, 2014, 09:48:41 AM »
we should clone tom to coach all of America's youth.  maybe life coach 'em, too
agree, I would like to be Tom when I grow up

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 22, 2014, 10:23:39 AM »
Yep, we broke out into positions for most of the practice time.  My son is through with youth football now and having seen it I agree that there is not much use for tackle football for younger kids.  I think one year before you get into middle school would be advantageous because it seemed to take a full year for a kid to get acclimated to the contact.  Flag football is probably a better option for the kids that are younger than 6th grade.

Yes, I agree with this 100%.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 22, 2014, 11:17:25 AM »
Hey Assistant Coach Know-it-all, why weren't you the head coach?
I'm not offended, you just sound like a whiner.
You also sound like you could use some work as a coach

Why are you trying so hard to aggravate me?  We can have this discussion, but please assure me that you are operating in good faith.  If you just want to troll admit it and we can both move on.
Yeah, I've been unfairly picking on you. I was wrong and I apologize.

Still, I get the feeling that your primary objectives are:

1) Winning
2) Some other kid playing QB

And that's fine since it's a "competitive" league, but even in a competitive league, I think the primary concerns should be:

1) Kids have fun
2) Kids develop a love of the game and want to play next year
3) Kids developing skills and physical fitness

Granted, winning is often a major part of having fun, but it's generally not as important to the kids as it is the parents. And I may be wrong about you, it's just the impression I get from your comments.

I also think you found a shitty organization/situation, and that's unfortunate. How many other coaches were there? If it was really as bad as you make it seem, you should have gotten the other coaches and quit and pulled your kids in protest. You also should have complained to the organization president and every other board member or whoever's in charge - punishing a parent's kids when questioned is unacceptable behavior and he shouldn't have been allowed to coach.

This appears to be another attempt to instigate an emotional response for your own gratification (v. weird behavior btw).  However, I will address it in a show of good faith, how you choose to respond will determine the future course of this conversation.  This, I assume, was in response to my questioning your qualifications to ask your question.   I wont back off of this but perhaps I can soften it.  You need to admit to yourself that you are arguing from a position of ignorance.  There have been no less than three people in this thread give a valid reason why your solution would not work within the framework we are working in.  It is probably time to move on to another point.  If you are not able to do this I will accept this as an admission your are not debating in good faith and again, we can both move on.

My original question was genuine. How are you helping the kid you're trying to "hide"? You said yourself "the league we are in is very up front about being a competitive league." So why play him or even allow him to be a part of the team?

We really aren't that far apart. I just think flag football should be played even later than you do - you can make it competitive. Kids in middle school still have a ton of development left and I think it's ridiculous to force them to begin specializing a position so young. Plus you would have fewer players on a team leading to more teams and therefore more reps for everyone. You'd find WR's that may have been stuck at line in middle school, you would have options at QB beyond the fat kid whose dad was the coach, and fewer lifetime blows to the head for everyone.

IMO a forward-thinking district/program/state could successfully implement a goal of no contact until high school, and begin gradually delaying contact to see how it impacts kids at the varsity level. Yes, it likely takes a year to adjust to contact, but if you could get a lot of people to sign on, I think it would be immensely popular with parents. It's a far-fetched idea that would probably take even more damaging research about head injuries to happen, though.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 22, 2014, 11:25:48 AM »

We really aren't that far apart. I just think flag football should be played even later than you do - you can make it competitive. Kids in middle school still have a ton of development left and I think it's ridiculous to force them to begin specializing a position so young. Plus you would have fewer players on a team leading to more teams and therefore more reps for everyone. You'd find WR's that may have been stuck at line in middle school, you would have options at QB beyond the fat kid whose dad was the coach, and fewer lifetime blows to the head for everyone.

IMO a forward-thinking district/program/state could successfully implement a goal of no contact until high school, and begin gradually delaying contact to see how it impacts kids at the varsity level. Yes, it likely takes a year to adjust to contact, but if you could get a lot of people to sign on, I think it would be immensely popular with parents. It's a far-fetched idea that would probably take even more damaging research about head injuries to happen, though.
I could absolutely see this happen in NE where youth & HS football is not the religion it is in other places.  The Sox Nation could be the next cradle of QBs.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 22, 2014, 11:34:02 AM »

I could absolutely see this happen in NE where youth & HS football is not the religion it is in other places.  The Sox Nation could be the next cradle of QBs.

Its possible.

FWIW, I'm not sold that the head injury impact happens much before middle school aged football. There simply aren't the collisions because the kids neither have the mass nor the speed to create high impact collisions. That's JMHO.

However, there are tons of kids not being coached well as grade schoolers and then they develop bad habits for contact (leading with the head, etc.), so that when they do reach middle school or high school ages they already have a tough time learning how to play the game correctly. Granted, there are still plenty of poor middle school and high school coaches, but I think those are becoming less common because school districts realized they can be sued if they have poorly coached teams when it comes to blocking/tackling technique. Also, head injuries cannot be totally eliminated from the sport because with bigger stronger athletes high impact collisions are bound to happen and slightly incorrect reaction times will lead to contact with the head. Hopefully continued improvements with equipment/helmets will help lessen the effects of those collisions.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 22, 2014, 11:39:08 AM »
FWIW, I'm not sold that the head injury impact happens much before middle school aged football. There simply aren't the collisions because the kids neither have the mass nor the speed to create high impact collisions. That's JMHO.

There are still a lot of low impact collisions, and I think a lifetime of those adds up. I could be wrong though - like I said, I think it would take more research, specifically on the impact of high and low impact collisions over time.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 22, 2014, 11:50:03 AM »

There are still a lot of low impact collisions, and I think a lifetime of those adds up. I could be wrong though - like I said, I think it would take more research, specifically on the impact of high and low impact collisions over time.

That's a fair point. I can't claim to know the impact of small collisions on grade school aged kids and it could very well be greater than I think it is.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 22, 2014, 11:51:38 AM »
how much more or less susceptible (sp?) are little kid brains to this stuff than adult brains?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 22, 2014, 11:54:15 AM »
how much more or less susceptible (sp?) are little kid brains to this stuff than adult brains?

I know its more, but I don't know how much more.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 22, 2014, 11:58:45 AM »

My oldest boy decided he didn't want to play this year.  Is going to run cross country instead.  One of his coaches was a huge douchebag last year which led to his decision.  He asked me about playing this year and I just gave him the Trim 3:16 advice.  He's a great athlete, but he has to want to play to enjoy it.

You are a good Dad.

My son is not a great athlete.  I think I may have a thespian or a hard core gamer here.  I am cool with whatever.  In this day and age, those skills are probably better translated to career success in America than sports prowess.

Acting, huh?

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 22, 2014, 12:22:37 PM »

Yeah, I've been unfairly picking on you. I was wrong and I apologize.

Still, I get the feeling that your primary objectives are:

1) Winning

No, not winning but at least trying to be competitive.  I was most irritated thinking about how unfair it was to all the kids sweating and bleeding, all the parents time and money, all the other coaches time and effort wasted so little Johnny can be a QB.

2) Some other kid playing QB

Absolutely, for all the reasons above.  And I fail to see anything wrong with that.

And that's fine since it's a "competitive" league, but even in a competitive league, I think the primary concerns should be:

1) Kids have fun
2) Kids develop a love of the game and want to play next year
3) Kids developing skills and physical fitness

Granted, winning is often a major part of having fun, but it's generally not as important to the kids as it is the parents. And I may be wrong about you, it's just the impression I get from your comments.
Not concerned about winning, but having success.  Success is defined by me to include the 3 items you list above but also,and this is more specific for lineman types, to understand and take pride in your role and understand how it helps the team.  We had a kid who was 5'4" and weighed 225 lbs, just this year he ran a 9 second 40, he is a lineman and would never be anything but a lineman.  And he is fantastic at it, a freaking road grader in every sense of the word.  He needs to feel pride in being a lineman and own it and work to improve.
I also think you found a shitty organization/situation, and that's unfortunate. How many other coaches were there? If it was really as bad as you make it seem, you should have gotten the other coaches and quit and pulled your kids in protest. You also should have complained to the organization president and every other board member or whoever's in charge - punishing a parent's kids when questioned is unacceptable behavior and he shouldn't have been allowed to coach.

Yes I agree, and I knew alot of this going in.  But somehow you convince yourself that it wont be as bad as you think.  Another guy I was friends with, and whose son is a legit QB, saw the writing on the wall and went to another org. in another town.  I let my son make the decision where he wanted to play and he chose to stay.  So I guess I just tried to grin and bear it much of the time.

My original question was genuine. How are you helping the kid you're trying to "hide"? You said yourself "the league we are in is very up front about being a competitive league." So why play him or even allow him to be a part of the team?
OK, here is the deal.  It is a player safety issue.  In football you have to meet the contact, meaning if you are going to get hit you need to hit back.  If you don't there is a much greater chance of getting hurt.  The kids who are timid will not meet the contact, they close their eyes and stand there or turn their back.  In practice you can protect them through managing the matchups but in games there is no way to do that.  Once the other team locates them they start getting lit up.  And you have to play them because there are league participation requirements.  So you "hide" them.  As for just kicking them off the team and refunding the money, I am not comfortable with that, it would feel like giving up on the kid.  Some do eventually get it and start getting involved, some even in the last game.

[/quote]
Maybe - there would def. be a lot of resistance to it.  And if you consider that the vast majority of careers end after high school, 6 years does not seem like too long for full contact.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 12:48:16 PM by Fedor »

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 22, 2014, 12:23:38 PM »
 :eek: :buh-bye: