Author Topic: It is that time of year again...  (Read 22131 times)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: It is that time of year again...
« Reply #150 on: February 06, 2018, 10:36:13 AM »
I assume at that age and where you are, there is no shortage of more competitive options for her daughter.  Leagues with mandatory playing requirements aren't where champions are made.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 06, 2018, 10:39:35 AM »
But you should send her a copy of Tex Winter's book and tell her to read up because you're installing the triangle next week and you'll need help.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 06, 2018, 10:42:50 AM »
I assume at that age and where you are, there is no shortage of more competitive options for her daughter.  Leagues with mandatory playing requirements aren't where champions are made.
Yes, this girl is also on an AAU team and middle school team (that this mom happens to coach). I let her know I thought those are better environments for more serious work.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 06, 2018, 10:43:52 AM »
But you should send her a copy of Tex Winter's book and tell her to read up because you're installing the triangle next week and you'll need help.
I also plan on yelling at her daughter to tell her where to stand for the entire game.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 06, 2018, 10:45:57 AM »
I say we crowdfund $175 here, send it to her and tell her and her kid to scram
:adios:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 06, 2018, 10:50:08 AM »
I say we crowdfund $175 here, send it to her and tell her and her kid to scram
We have one game left plus the tournament. I thought about offering her $20 to quit.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 06, 2018, 10:56:54 AM »
don’t change anything based upon one parent complaint, you’re doing well to have only heard from one
you sign up for criticism from them when you agree to take on the coach job

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 06, 2018, 11:05:52 AM »
Have a postseason scrimmage where you and your daughter captain one squad and she and her daughter captain the other, draft from your team and settle this.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 06, 2018, 11:06:52 AM »
but the mother said all the other children were grinning extra during the game that michigancat missed, so it's not just her daughter.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 06, 2018, 11:33:40 AM »
but the mother said all the other children were grinning extra during the game that michigancat missed, so it's not just her daughter.

yeah it's definitely her daughter and her daughter's friend who plays on the same AAU team. I can't gauge how much extra the other girls were grinning, but all the other girls at that game have been coached by me before and think I'm great

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 06, 2018, 11:34:43 AM »
Time to Frank these team cancers
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 06, 2018, 11:38:06 AM »
they beat the undefeated team, too.  kids love winning.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 06, 2018, 12:00:20 PM »
they beat the undefeated team because the mom instituted a zone and brought some damn discipline to that team.  playtime is over folks.  time to win.

rusty = oscar.  chew on that.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 06, 2018, 12:00:36 PM »
You should have Tonya Harding’d this situation weeks ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Big Train

« Reply #164 on: February 06, 2018, 12:19:00 PM »
Maybe just stick to pickup basketball rusty

The Big Train

« Reply #165 on: February 06, 2018, 12:19:20 PM »
jk jk.  That sounds terrible

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 06, 2018, 12:43:51 PM »
I'd bench anyone who crys, that's just ridiculous
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 06, 2018, 01:04:33 PM »
They are paying $175 per child and the coaches don't even get paid?

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 06, 2018, 01:17:13 PM »
Yes, this girl is also on an AAU team and middle school team (that this mom happens to coach). I let her know I thought those are better environments for more serious work.
What style does the high school these girls are going to play? I coach my daughter's 6th grade team and last year I ran a 1-3-1 trap and ball screen offense to an undefeated record in a lower league but got smoked in our 3 "seeding" game before christmas against mid level 1st division teams playing the same way.

After soul searching all Christmas break I finally did what I should have been doing all along and switch to man to man defense and the pass & cut motion offense that the local High School program plays.  We have lost a couple of games to teams we beat last year mainly due to poor defense but in the long run it will greatly benefit the girls that want to play in high school, which my daughter does. 

The biggest thing I have learned about myself in coaching is I am not nearly as competitive as I thought I was - I can't believe how many coaches will hardly play some their players in a Rec league.  That is the absolute beauty of a position less offense, you don't get caught up in who "has to be in" or if some one doesn't know their role because it is all the same. 

Letting 12 year old girls stand around in zone vs a team where maybe 1 or 2 girls on the other team can make a shot from outside 10 feet makes winning easy but that is about it.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 06, 2018, 01:22:07 PM »
at least 2 of the 3 best players on my 8 year old son's team cry every game.  We also get shoving matches about who gets to be the point guard.  I am glad to just be an assistant on this team as it can take me 2 or 3 minutes of my best sideline psychology and bribery to get their heads back in the game.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 06, 2018, 01:23:15 PM »
They are paying $175 per child and the coaches don't even get paid?

Not only do I not get paid, I have to pay full price for my own kid! Kids ain't cheap

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 06, 2018, 01:25:29 PM »
at least 2 of the 3 best players on my 8 year old son's team cry every game.  We also get shoving matches about who gets to be the point guard.  I am glad to just be an assistant on this team as it can take me 2 or 3 minutes of my best sideline psychology and bribery to get their heads back in the game.

You only make the crying worse when you put them back in the game.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 06, 2018, 01:28:11 PM »

You only make the crying worse when you put them back in the game.
it's best if they don't come out at all, ADD of these kids and all

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 06, 2018, 01:28:39 PM »

What style does the high school these girls are going to play? I coach my daughter's 6th grade team and last year I ran a 1-3-1 trap and ball screen offense to an undefeated record in a lower league but got smoked in our 3 "seeding" game before christmas against mid level 1st division teams playing the same way.

After soul searching all Christmas break I finally did what I should have been doing all along and switch to man to man defense and the pass & cut motion offense that the local High School program plays.  We have lost a couple of games to teams we beat last year mainly due to poor defense but in the long run it will greatly benefit the girls that want to play in high school, which my daughter does. 

The biggest thing I have learned about myself in coaching is I am not nearly as competitive as I thought I was - I can't believe how many coaches will hardly play some their players in a Rec league.  That is the absolute beauty of a position less offense, you don't get caught up in who "has to be in" or if some one doesn't know their role because it is all the same. 

Letting 12 year old girls stand around in zone vs a team where maybe 1 or 2 girls on the other team can make a shot from outside 10 feet makes winning easy but that is about it.

I don't care what defense the high school plays. Maybe 1 or 2 will eventually play high school? I prefer man because: a) it makes small scrimmages easier in practice. (I only have 9 players and I think 3v3 and 2v2 is far superior for development) and b) because as you said it makes kids move around more and c) gives every player ownership in reasonable matchups

zone is definitely easier to teach and leads to more wins at this level. Man looks baaaaad early in seasons because the girls can't remember who they're guarding but once they achieve that it works pretty well.

If you're interested, I highly recommend these two books:

https://www.amazon.com/21st-Century-Basketball-Practice-Modernizing-ebook/dp/B00PJRH6VA/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8
https://www.amazon.com/Fake-Fundamentals-Brian-McCormick-ebook/dp/B00SVEJIKA/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

I base most of how I structure practices based on his thoughts on making practices engaging and making sure everything you do in practice translates to a real game situation.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 06, 2018, 01:29:32 PM »
Also FWIW these girls have never cried during a game