Author Topic: It is that time of year again...  (Read 21643 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: It is that time of year again...
« Reply #200 on: February 08, 2018, 06:59:33 PM »

go for head coach next year, I could help you come up with some really fun practice plans for third grade boys.

MIcat, this wasn't offered to me, but I would take you up on it if you're willing.  I helped with 5-6th grade this year and concluded that I wanted to do 3-4th next year to focus on teaching lay-ups, ball handling, rebounding (at least going after the ball), footwork (pivots and jump stops) and maybe some defensive stance/shuffle.

Are those the things to teach?  If not, what should it be?  If so, how do you teach those things while keeping their attention?

you're on the right track! I'll come up with something later and share it here.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 08, 2018, 07:25:11 PM »
Rusty sounds like someone I would have wanted to coach my boys.

The crowd control point is spot on and it even applies to middle or high school. Kids should rarely be standing around at practice.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 08, 2018, 09:39:42 PM »
I've coached a lot of middle school aged kids.

Everyone should always be working on something all the time. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 08, 2018, 11:51:53 PM »

go for head coach next year, I could help you come up with some really fun practice plans for third grade boys.

MIcat, this wasn't offered to me, but I would take you up on it if you're willing.  I helped with 5-6th grade this year and concluded that I wanted to do 3-4th next year to focus on teaching lay-ups, ball handling, rebounding (at least going after the ball), footwork (pivots and jump stops) and maybe some defensive stance/shuffle.

Are those the things to teach?  If not, what should it be?  If so, how do you teach those things while keeping their attention?

OK, here you go.  With everything, see what works for your team - some will respond to some things but not others. Learn from it and adjust. Don't be afraid to bail on something that doesn't click initially in practice and always have a game or activity in your back pocket to get things back on track. In general, 5-10 minutes is the max you can do one activity/drill before they get bored/tired.

In general, be positive. Let them know turning the ball over or making a bad pass is OK. Just getting a shot up in a game is a win. Give every player freedom to handle the ball and shoot in a game, whether or not they’re successful. Every player should play equally if they have good attitudes.  The focus should be on having fun. Expect and embrace chaos. Ask yourself how every activity in practice would translate into a game. If you aren’t sure, don’t bother with it and try to find something that does. So, here's how I'd approach the things you want to work on:

Footwork/pivots/jump stops: I wouldn’t spend much time on this, but probably the first thing I would do at the first practice would be silent red light/green light with a dribble: instead of yelling “red light”, make your back facing them be green light and your front facing them be red light. On red lights, have them do a jump stop and pivot in a circle. This is great way to teach kids who have never played basketball to understand the concept of a pivot foot/travelling and work on jump stops. It forces them to keep their head up while dribbling as well. Once they get it (ideally after 2-3 practices), you probably won’t need to do this again

In general, however, I don’t like a lot of pivoting/triple threat because I want kids to move more quickly. I do this mostly to get the kids to understand the rule.

Lay-ups: I would do my best to split the team into two hoops for most of these, ideally split by ability: any more than 5 at a basket leads to too much standing around. Assuming they’ve never done a layup before, start with a one step, no dribble layup to get used to the initial footwork. If you have a more advanced group, they can start dribbling from the elbow or wing with a dribble. I wouldn’t spend too much time on this

Once they get the initial idea (or even before that) try to incorporate chasing defenders. Here’s one good version:

vary the cone spacing to give the offense more or less of an advantage depending on the ability of group and what you want to emphasize. Kids can do this! They might not score but it will help them get the feel for the game.

Another version is full court chaser layups - have one player start underneath a basket out of bounds and another is at a good outlet position - about free throw line extended or further up the court. P1 throws the ball to P2, then P2 is offense and P1 is defense. Offense goes to score as quickly as possible, P1 tries to catch up and stop them. (this is also a ball handling drill - it forces them to dribble quickly with the threat of pressure). You can half start at each basket and have two groups go at once. Switch sides and force them to use their off hand, but don't worry about whether or not they score with the proper hand

In general, don’t focus on form IMO. Just let them learn how to beat a defender and score. They will figure out ways that work for them, and give them the freedom to try new ways to score. Like what’s wrong with shooting a right-handed layup off the right foot? Coaches obsess over this and it isn’t necessary IMO.

Ball handling/defensive slides: IMO the best thing for both of these is 1v1 full court. Don’t bother with defensive slides. In 1v1 full court, I have the defense start at the back court free throw line and the offense on the base line. As soon as the offense moves, the defense tries to steal the ball, and if they can’t, make the offense change direction as much as possible. They’ll figure out how to play on the ball defense from this, but also learn how to dribble while being defended and eventually learn to score out of it. You can progress to 1v2 (2 defenders) for more of a challenge on offense and to create 2v1 fast breaks if they create turnovers. There are also more competitive versions where the defender must get a stop or they keep defending (but probably better for older kids). Don’t waste your time with “zig zag” drills or traditional defensive slides.

More ball handling:
I use a game called “Mad trucker” that is basically freeze tag: keep all the players inside the three point line. Everyone has a ball and has to dribble, except fo a “mad trucker”, who is “it”. Once the mad trucker is loose, he/she can either tag the player or tap the ball away (depending on ability) to give the tagged player a “flat tire” who holds the ball above their head. (I usually do tapping the ball away, but tagging leads to faster movement from dribblers). Tagged players can be freed if another player rolls a ball between their legs. This emphasizes dribbling with your head up, dribbling in random directions (like you need to do during a game, and finding/communicating with teammates. I’ve also added two mad truckers to emphasize trapping or increased or decreased the playing space depending on what I wanted to emphasize and how many players you have. This is great for having every player active and improving skills.

Most people know sharks and minnows as a soccer drill but it also works great as a basketball drill. I’ve still had sixth graders request this drill and I honestly think it would be useful up to high school. Again, you can either have them tag the player to become a shark or have them tap the ball away, depending on ability and the spacing on the court.

I like 1v1 moves and encouraging them to try new things: you’d be amazed at how quickly third graders can learn to dribble behind the back or between their legs. Just have them try and let them know if it’s OK if they aren’t successful initially (and encourage them to attempt them in games). A good way to start with one on one moves is to scatter a ton of cones randomly around the court and have them all make the move you’re introducing from cone to cone for a minute or two. Finish the sequence with a competition to see who can pick up the most cones while dribbling.

Ideally in the same practice, you could do a full-court layup drill with a coach providing token defense at each wing - have them make that move on the coach before going to the basket and scoring. With the full court and kids running down each half of the court, there shouldn't be much standing around.

Follow the leader would also be good for this age - have the coach start randomly changing direction and doing different moves, high dribbles, low dribbles, spins, etc. get silly with it, then let the kids lead. Have the leader finish with a layup on a random goal and go to the next player in line.

Rebounding/getting the ball: This is really something that I wasn’t prepared for: going after the ball is a skill that needs to be taught and practiced. So many kids just stare at loose balls and missed shots. It’s good you’re thinking of it.

My favorite way to work on this is a “numbers game”, (something like this: ), where you divide the players into two teams and give every player a unique number. Yell two numbers, roll out or bounce the ball, and have the numbers you call go fight for the ball and score. Play until defense gets the ball back. Make it fast, vary the matchups and numbers - you can create 2v1 or 2v2 situations with this as well.

Another way is to use a 3v3 scrimmage where a basket counts as two points but offensive rebounds count as two. You probably need pretty competitive kids to make this version work, but it works great if they do.

Other must-dos:

Small scrimmages: You should do some of this in every single practice. This video does a good job illustrating why: tweak the rules depending on what you want to work on; no-dribble scrimmages emphasize moving away from the wall and passing, you can force them to start on a pick and roll, make it a turnover if they aren’t attacking the basket, etc. It’s also a great way to teach man-to-man defense, particularly remembering who you’re guarding, which is a problem for kids this age.

Transition/fast breaks: My favorite is Army Transition: one team of 2 or 3 (offense) is on the backcourt baseline and one team (defense) is on the backcourt free throw line with each player facing the player on offense they are guarding. Coach throws the ball to a player on offense who starts the fast break. The defensive player facing them has to sprint to the baseline before going to play defense - the rest of the defense starts defending immediately.This creates a realistic 2v1 (or 3v2) because an extra defender is coming like they would in a game.

Another I’ve come across to change it up is “skip the middle” (I’m not entirely sure why it’s called this, but whatevs). Start with three players under the backcourt basket. Ball with middle player. He passes it to one of the wings as they start running, wing passes it back to the center, who passes it to the other wing. The wings are now on offense and the center player is on defense in a full court 2v1. Limit the offense to one or two passes and encourage them to score without passing.

So here is a theoretical 1 hour practice, assuming you have 8-10 players
0:00-0:05 - shoot around/hang out
0:05-0:10 - silent red light green light with jump stop and pivot
0:10-0:15 - split into two baskets, basic layups (more advanced players could do it chaser style w/o the chaser)
0:15-0:20 - chaser layups (at two baskets there should be zero standing around)
0:20-0:23 - drink
0:23-0:30 - 1v1 full court (make sure you keep them moving, you can have 2 or 3 pairs going at once)
0:30-0:45 - 3v3 or 2v2 (depending on numbers, you can also do something like 3v3 with 3 teams and having a new team come on at each possession change); split into two courts if the numbers work
0:45-0:52 - Army Transition (this is an opportunity for them to stand around so be careful/keep them moving but generally you can get 2 groups and there's not much standing around)
0:52-1:00 - normal full court scrimmage

At later practices, you can work in things like numbers game, sharks and minnows, mad trucker, etc. Most of these can be tweaked to emphasize weak spots you discover in games. Have fun!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 11:48:45 AM by michigancat »

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 09, 2018, 09:37:41 AM »
very good post mich.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 09, 2018, 11:50:43 AM »
0:00-0:05 - shoot around/hang out
0:05-0:10 - silent red light green light with jump stop and pivot
0:10-0:15 - split into two baskets, basic layups (more advanced players could do it chaser style w/o the chaser)
0:15-0:20 - chaser layups (at two baskets there should be zero standing around)
0:20-0:23 - drink
0:23-0:30 - 1v1 full court (make sure you keep them moving, you can have 2 or 3 pairs going at once)
0:30-0:45 - 3v3 or 2v2 (depending on numbers, you can also do something like 3v3 with 3 teams and having a new team come on at each possession change); split into two courts if the numbers work
0:45-0:52 - Army Transition (this is an opportunity for them to stand around so be careful/keep them moving but generally you can get 2 groups and there's not much standing around)
0:52-1:00 - normal full court scrimmage

Looking at this, I'd maybe throw in another game like sharks and minnows around the drink depending on the group. But yeah that should be a pretty decent, active practice.

Offline Daddy Claxton

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 09, 2018, 12:02:50 PM »
Really great stuff, michigancat. Thanks!

Do you ever do any strictly ball handling drills?  I remember doing a ton of figure-8 dribble and the like as a kid but maybe that's outdated now and you have to have enough basketballs for everyone.

Also how much time if any did you spend at the beginning of the season with basics like rules and terminology?  With some of the 5th graders I helped with, when I told them to "play down low" or "get on the block" they clearly had no idea what I meant. Was wondering with the younger ones if they may need even some basic rules explained.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 12:07:55 PM by Daddy Claxton »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 09, 2018, 12:40:09 PM »
Really great stuff, michigancat. Thanks!

Do you ever do any strictly ball handling drills?  I remember doing a ton of figure-8 dribble and the like as a kid but maybe that's outdated now and you have to have enough basketballs for everyone.

Very little. The closest I've done this season is introducing a new one-on-one move and having the players practice making them on cones and then on a coach and then against a live defender. When would you do a figure 8 standing still in a game? Not saying there isn't a place for figure 8's or 2 ball dribbling, but how much of your hour a week is it worth, when you could instead have them beat defenders and keep their heads up against a live defender? I wouldn't spend more than five minutes a practice on what you consider "ball handling drills". (Every player should have a ball for every practice, though).

Also how much time if any did you spend at the beginning of the season with basics like rules and terminology?  With some of the 5th graders I helped with, when I told them to "play down low" or "get on the block" they clearly had no idea what I meant. Was wondering with the younger ones if they may need even some basic rules explained.

yeah this is a good point. You probably want to spend some time on court layout in the first practice, explaining the block, elbow, paint, baseline, three point line, etc. Maybe quiz them the next practice until you're sure they've got it. But no more than 2 minutes, because that's some boring crap. My daughter's water polo team had them do homework one time on what the positions were and it seemed to work well without giving up practice time. Not sure if third graders could handle that though.

For things like traveling, double dribble, and fouls (by far the biggest rule issues), just use scrimmages and games to teach that. I don't even spend much time stopping them in practices unless it gets really bad. Let them know refs will miss fouls when they complain to you.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 12:43:49 PM by michigancat »

Offline Daddy Claxton

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 09, 2018, 12:56:45 PM »
Thanks again. All of that is very helpful. Great point on wasting practice time on specific drills that don't translate directly to a game. I think it could be helpful for a short time (5 min as you are said) in the first couple of practices to basically just show them the drills and tell them they can work on it at home. Most won't, but the best players will.

We tried the homework thing with the 5-6th graders and it failed. As much the coaches fault as anything, though, for not following through.

I really appreciate everything you provided.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 09, 2018, 01:09:30 PM »
Thanks again. All of that is very helpful. Great point on wasting practice time on specific drills that don't translate directly to a game. I think it could be helpful for a short time (5 min as you are said) in the first couple of practices to basically just show them the drills and tell them they can work on it at home. Most won't, but the best players will.

Yeah, there's really nothing wrong with that, I mean every kid will have a ball and be active. I'd encourage them to think about how they would use drills you share to beat defenders. May make them more likely to try it on their own.

And one other thing - if you're ever stuck, have them scrimmage. No matter what you do, you can't go wrong with a scrimmage - every player will benefit.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: February 09, 2018, 01:55:30 PM »
When they are little (6 -8) I like to play Simon Says with different spots on the floor - especially for the block or the elbow but even sideline, baseline and half court can be a new concept to a lot of kids

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 09, 2018, 02:16:55 PM »
basketball, soccer and even football its easier to keep kids moving and engaged way more pud than baseball. baseball is difficult especially if you only have one asst coach

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 09, 2018, 03:30:56 PM »
soccer is like the best to coach. Anything can be a goal and you can have some really fun unique drills and games because of it.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 09, 2018, 04:27:53 PM »
basketball, soccer and even football its easier to keep kids moving and engaged way more pud than baseball. baseball is difficult especially if you only have one asst coach
I could really use some baseball stuff similar to the basketball stuff itt as the dad's that coached the last few years have moved on leaving the dads like myself that never really played.  Luckily it is still machine pitch this summer.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 09, 2018, 04:51:41 PM »
If I were coaching youth baseball, I'd focus on infielders covering their positions and throwing to the right base, while outfielders snag fly balls and throw to a cutoff. Send 2 players at a time to the batting cages for BP. If you have an extra pitching machine that can be adjusted to shoot fly balls, you can really keep a line moving for the outfielders. I don't think I'd ever have players bat the ball off of the machine to your defense. That is just ridiculously boring for everyone not batting.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 11, 2018, 07:13:24 AM »
1/hr a week for practice and 1 game a week makes teaching them much pretty rough I'd expect

definitely. I do have a full court but I just try to keep them either doing something with a basketball or part of a scrimmage as much as possible.

also most practices I have 7 girls show up, which is just about the worst number you can have. 8 or 9 works pretty well because I can do 2 courts of 2v2 or 3 teams in 3v3 cutthroat
Mich

Any coaches in the league you can gym share?  When the league I coached in cut practice time to once a week we started partnering with other teams.  They came to our scheduled practice and we went to theirs.

If you have a full gym then 1 team on each half plus you can scrimmage or run full court drills with both teams competing.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 11, 2018, 10:38:49 AM »
1/hr a week for practice and 1 game a week makes teaching them much pretty rough I'd expect

definitely. I do have a full court but I just try to keep them either doing something with a basketball or part of a scrimmage as much as possible.

also most practices I have 7 girls show up, which is just about the worst number you can have. 8 or 9 works pretty well because I can do 2 courts of 2v2 or 3 teams in 3v3 cutthroat
Mich

Any coaches in the league you can gym share?  When the league I coached in cut practice time to once a week we started partnering with other teams.  They came to our scheduled practice and we went to theirs.

If you have a full gym then 1 team on each half plus you can scrimmage or run full court drills with both teams competing.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Nah I don't think it would be worth it as we only have two baskets on the full court and no side goals. Also all the kids are so busy here that it's a miracle they show up once a week.

BTW our last regular season game was last night. We played against one of the coaches the girl referenced in the email played for two years ago (one who she likes and is "playing to win"). He always tries to run a high-low offense and I'm guessing he spends a lot of time in practice on it. Before the game he was running a mini-practice setting up baseline out-of-bounds plays. His team didn't score once out of their offense or OOB. We won of course without running a single play but after the game the other coach shakes hands and is like "pretty chaotic, isn't it?" It kind of reminded me that you can practice chaos and games like sharks and minnows and army transition and freeze tag are practicing for chaos.

ALSO, the email Daughter and another player on my team play on the same AAU and middle school team, AND they went to a birthday party together yesterday that was going to make showing up for the game on time tight. Daughter's friend showed up to the game late but Daughter didn't show. She was in the car that dropped off her friend but just didn't want to go to the game AFAIK. I kinda hope she quit.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #217 on: February 11, 2018, 03:17:19 PM »
Did you let email mom know of your victory? Good time for a group email.

Offline Daddy Claxton

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 07, 2019, 07:41:18 PM »

In general, be positive. Let them know turning the ball over or making a bad pass is OK. Just getting a shot up in a game is a win. Give every player freedom to handle the ball and shoot in a game, whether or not they’re successful. Every player should play equally if they have good attitudes.  The focus should be on having fun. Expect and embrace chaos. Ask yourself how every activity in practice would translate into a game. If you aren’t sure, don’t bother with it and try to find something that does. So, here's how I'd approach the things you want to work on:

Just wanted to come back and thank Michigancat for all this stuff you provided in this thread. I coached third grade girls and used pretty much everything you suggested. Most importantly, the paragraph above.

I did more straight up drills than you recommended, but none of the players had ever played at all before so there was a lot of just learning motor skills.

I had a blast though; one of the most rewarding things I've ever done. The suggestions were spot on and much appreciated.  Thanks again.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 07, 2019, 07:54:20 PM »

Just wanted to come back and thank Michigancat for all this stuff you provided in this thread. I coached third grade girls and used pretty much everything you suggested. Most importantly, the paragraph above.

I did more straight up drills than you recommended, but none of the players had ever played at all before so there was a lot of just learning motor skills.

I had a blast though; one of the most rewarding things I've ever done. The suggestions were spot on and much appreciated.  Thanks again.

Awesome, that really makes me happy. My goal every season (what I told the parents) is I just want every player to come back and play next year. So hopefully you're doing it again soon!

Unfortunately I hung it up this year - my daughter decided sports were dumb and all the parents took it too seriously. Of course then in PE they did all kinds of sports just for fun with her friends and she loved it. Go figure.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 22, 2020, 01:37:33 PM »
Was supposed to help coach football this year. 7 Th grade.

:(

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 22, 2020, 01:39:11 PM »
9 years experience. Have had just about every win loss combination for a 7 game schedule that is possible except 6-1.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 22, 2020, 05:23:26 PM »
Take your anger out on some more smoked meats and delectable side dishes
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile