Author Topic: ITT We Laugh At Other Pud Teams' Pud Stadiums/Arenas  (Read 438380 times)

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
ITT We Laugh At Other Pud Teams' Pud Stadiums/Arenas
« Reply #150 on: July 21, 2013, 09:07:40 AM »
Would take that wall. Would not take that cell phone tower. :eek:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: ITT We Laugh At Other Pud Teams' Pud Stadiums/Arenas
« Reply #151 on: July 21, 2013, 11:10:21 AM »
UTSA has to have the biggest size difference between their FB and BB facilities in all of colleges sports.

Oooh. That could be a fantastic trivia question actually. You might be right. But it's not exactly like they built the Alamo Dome specifically for their school.
 Any other contenders for this weird prize?

Unless it's based on percentage it's going to be Michigan or Ohio State.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 21, 2013, 11:30:13 AM »
True. I think percentages might be more interesting.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 21, 2013, 11:34:42 AM »

a cell phone tower in bsfs would be glorious.  I'm quite jealous.
emaw

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 21, 2013, 11:41:07 AM »

Only if they disguise it as a limestone wall.

Offline Big Sam

• King of the Tucks
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 21, 2013, 11:58:07 AM »

How about cellphone towers disguised as trees?  Yeah, dangerous as hell, but great reception.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 21, 2013, 12:05:00 PM »

How about cellphone towers disguised as trees?  Yeah, dangerous as hell, but great reception.

No trees anywhere except that one, huge, out of place sequoia towering above Vanier from the north side of Kimball. 
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 21, 2013, 12:07:46 PM »
UTSA has to have the biggest size difference between their FB and BB facilities in all of colleges sports.

Oooh. That could be a fantastic trivia question actually. You might be right. But it's not exactly like they built the Alamo Dome specifically for their school.
 Any other contenders for this weird prize?

Unless it's based on percentage it's going to be Michigan or Ohio State.

The percentage was the spirit of what I was thinking.  Later last night I thought about this and realized I didn't specify.  Then again I was well into a :drink: solo binge when I started posting last night, thus the poor writing quality of the Tulsa Golden Hurricats post.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 21, 2013, 12:13:22 PM »
b-state broncs blorange university

Very, very odd stadium all around. You won't find another one like it anywhere, and not just bcuz of the blue turf. Very top-heavy. Very patchwork. Very odd. But kinda cool in a weird way.

Weird angle for lights! Tall lights! :eek:

I think they must be putting in a new Vanier? Steamrollers and whatnot. Vroom! Also T's and P's on that really really pud jumbotron.

Pretty big WSC. Looks a lot like the press box at WSU, imo. The field side, at least. The back of the BSU press box looks suuuuuuper weird, though. You'll see its asymmetrical ass later on.

How do you guys feel about the lights?  Kinda weird how the "training table" end of their press box just hangs out super far and has all these really trashy-looking supports underneath it. Notice also how the upper deck A) is bigger than the rows underneath it, and B) rises at a different angle. The entire Boise State stadium rises at bizarre angles sometimes.

Fitz and the Lemon Parties would have a field day with this university.

That setting is nice but it's no Flint Hills.

I think these end zone bleachers are new?

Just such an unusual place. Sweet view, though.

Steueueueueckle.

Look how :sdeek: the back side looks. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that, like the rest of this stadium, the WSC is super off-balance.

Really weird, disjointed B-State0 add-on wedge of bleachers in what would be the horseshoe part. Kinda looks like crap.

Concourse mural! :D

I think they're trying to maybe make fun of the Kibbie Dome with their practice field.

Boise State ugly arena. It's too horizontal and taco "belly."

Odd setup. I actually like it a lot though. Like the fooboo stades, there's not another college arena out there with this kind of setup. Also it's the site of the Tyus Edny miracle. And is named after SB's favorite restaurant.

Weird sideways practice courts underneath the real court.

Guys their concourses were seriously out of a bygone era. Sorry for the dark photos, I was definitely sneaking around (trespassing) and there weren't really lights on in the arena. But JFC, look at that paint scheme. Makes me feel lucky that Asbury only added teal for a while. :sdeek:

This is from the top of the third deck. Bottom deck was very large and each of the two decks piled on top of them have about 8 or 10 rows.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 12:20:34 PM by SkinnyBenny »

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 21, 2013, 12:22:31 PM »
you thinkin' what I'm thinkin' skin ben?

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 21, 2013, 12:46:00 PM »
SB, good work on the BSU stuff.  I agree that it looks very odd, but considering they built the original stadium just 5 years after they stopped being a Juco, I think it's pretty cool.  I also like their b-ball arena and the concourse signage/design is the icing on the cake.  Most places have repainted their 1970s hospital parking garage stairway designs, but I like that they've kept theirs.  The only thing that would have made it better is if they named their levels after pieces of fruit.   

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 21, 2013, 12:46:49 PM »
SB, good work on the BSU stuff.  I agree that it looks very odd, but considering they built the original stadium just 5 years after they stopped being a Juco, I think it's pretty cool.  I also like their b-ball arena and the concourse signage/design is the icing on the cake.  Most places have repainted their 1970s hospital parking garage stairway designs, but I like that they've kept theirs.  The only thing that would have made it better is if they named their levels after pieces of fruit taco bell menu items.

FYP, bro

Offline Frankenklein

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 21, 2013, 12:51:31 PM »

Guys, We have to admit this is very Elite-y.

We all know LHCBS will have someone off-ed if they even see a practice on accident. The NDSU coach must be a real stud (could be a gimmick tho).
We can't even watch a practice that happens outside. Their stud coach must let everyone watch practice.
We don't even have team benches in our practice facility. It looks like they have more seats in their practice facility than they probably have in their stadium (NOT CONFIRMED, but lots of seats in that practice facility).

Is this a thing that the poors do in order to make more money? Is it free to get in? Do they sell beer?
That's not a practice facility,it's their domed stadium,with a game going on  :facepalm: Don't know about the beer

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 21, 2013, 01:00:38 PM »
Well I don't know what happened to Frankenklein but I would love it if he would start being funny again in his posts  :don'tcare:

Guys. Look at this picture of BSU's stadium in the 1970s. Kinda impressive how they've upsized, even if it has been patchwork.
And...green field! :eek:
http://digital.boisestate.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/archives/id/286

Offline CyberToothCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 21, 2013, 01:38:53 PM »
It seems pretty clear to me that there were zero women involved in designing the stadium and all of its add-ons.  Just some rancher dudes that had probably been drinking.

George: Fred, we need to add a couple thousand more seats to our stadium, but I'm not sure where they should go.
Fred: Well, we've got some random open space at that end of the field.  What about there?
George: You mean like this?

*shoves random grandstands stolen from area high schools into the open area*
*kicks a couple times to make it fit*

Fred: Perfect!

If all you saw was the interior stadium view, this pressbox looks legit.  It's all steel and glass, which isn't necessarily my cup of tea, but the lines are clean and it looks fine.  Then you see the outside view.  Seriously.  WTF were they thinking?

As for the lights: on the pressbox side, they look fine.  They look like they would illuminate the field, so, you know, good job on that.  On the other side, I don't really know what's going on.  It's not just that they are randomly tall sticking above the stands, but they're not evenly spaced.  There are a couple near midfield that are bunched closed together, and then a couple more that are spread way out near the ends.  It's like someone's ruler was broken when they were deciding where to put the lights.  Actually, it looks like something a farmer would come up with.  It's functional, but it's not pretty to look at.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 21, 2013, 02:25:37 PM »
Everything you just wrote seems incredibly correct.

Offline Frankenklein

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 21, 2013, 02:58:17 PM »
Well I don't know what happened to Frankenklein but I would love it if he would start being funny again in his posts  :don'tcare:

Guys. Look at this picture of BSU's stadium in the 1970s. Kinda impressive how they've upsized, even if it has been patchwork.
And...green field! :eek:
http://digital.boisestate.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/archives/id/286
Sorry,the DGale thing left me jaded

Offline CyberToothCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 21, 2013, 05:25:03 PM »
Everything about that new pressbox facility looks nice... except for whatever is going on at the left side of the picture.  It's all enclosed with glass and looks sharp, until you get to the random open-air area up there.  And what is with the big, blocky tower at that end?  On the whole, much nicer than what I was expecting from a god-forsaken hellhole like Pullman WA.  I am also impressed with how many lights they have in there.  That stadium is going to be visible from space when it's lit up at night!!

WSU WSC from the student section side of the field. Really solid work by the cougarcats.

I don't know if I'd go that far, but at least there are no trees so the area looks pretty safe.

The Palouse is awesome.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 21, 2013, 08:13:16 PM »
Everything about that new pressbox facility looks nice... except for whatever is going on at the left side of the picture.  It's all enclosed with glass and looks sharp, until you get to the random open-air area up there.  And what is with the big, blocky tower at that end?  On the whole, much nicer than what I was expecting from a god-forsaken hellhole like Pullman WA.  I am also impressed with how many lights they have in there.  That stadium is going to be visible from space when it's lit up at night!!

WSU WSC from the student section side of the field. Really solid work by the cougarcats.

I don't know if I'd go that far, but at least there are no trees so the area looks pretty safe.

The Palouse is awesome.

I realize it violates visual symmetry, but How do you know it's not some cool, open-air party deck?  They have nice weather up there, and it would be nice to feel some breeze while your sippin on some schmirnoff ices with your booster pals.  Also, the block on the left could be stairs and/or an elevator shaft.  What's your beef with the elderly and disabled, anyway?

Offline PowercatPat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #BID
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 21, 2013, 08:56:21 PM »
Kinda OT but WVU has to have the most pud baseball stadium of any BCS conference program. Their stadium doesn't even meet Big 12 standards so they had to play most of their games in Charleston.

Offline cas4ksu

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 21, 2013, 10:01:24 PM »
there's a cell phone tower disguised as a tree in manhattan.

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 21, 2013, 10:25:20 PM »
Hey SB, any pro-tips on getting in these stadiums?  Do you call ahead and make arrangements to walk around or do you just show up and snap some of these elite photos?

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 21, 2013, 11:56:48 PM »
I would say of the probably 60+ D-I football venues I've been to throughout my years on this crazy blue marble, my success rate of getting in when there isn't a game going on is probably about 70%. Here are a few things to keep in mind:

1. Summertime is a good time to do it because of football camps. I happened to luck out on my recent trip because WSU and BSU both left their stadiums wide open during the day so parents could come in and videotape their kids being shitty at pass blocking and whatnot. CSU was having basketball camp so that was a breeze.

2. Smaller-timey teams with on-campus stadiums often leave the stadiums open during the day. Lots of times it's so students and professors can run stairs or run the track (KU) or whatever.

3. Bigger-time stadiums are harder to get/see into. For one, they usually have bleachers all the way around the field and there aren't typically open end zones like at CSU or Wyoming, so that sucks. Also, they take security way more seriously at big timey places. Definitely still try. I always do.  I always walk the entire perimeter of the stadium and pull every gate or door I see. That's what I've always done and it works quite often, usually because a janitor forgot to completely close the service door or whatever.

4. During the day at least, totally disregard signs about trespassing, or about hard hats, or whatever. Stadiums where they're doing construction are totally ripe for the pickin'. The only reason I got into Alabama's stadium a few years ago is because they were doing construction on that massive end zone addition. I have learned that if you walk with a purpose and act like you belong there then you will almost never be questioned. I got into Boise State's arena because I followed a tutor for a basketball player through the academic center door. Since it was off-season, off-peak hours, it was very easy to walk through the various hallways until I found a way into the arena. Air Force's cruddy arena was open and I walked into the lockerroom area and totally helped myself to a Fresca from the athletic department fridge. :cool:

« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 12:02:31 AM by SkinnyBenny »

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 22, 2013, 12:05:22 AM »
I would say of the probably 60+ D-I football venues I've been to throughout my years on this crazy blue marble, my success rate of getting in when there isn't a game going on is probably about 70%. Here are a few things to keep in mind:

1. Summertime is a good time to do it because of football camps. I happened to luck out on my recent trip because WSU and BSU both left their stadiums wide open during the day so parents could come in and videotape their kids being shitty at pass blocking and whatnot. CSU was having basketball camp so that was a breeze.

2. Smaller-timey teams with on-campus stadiums often leave the stadiums open during the day. Lots of times it's so students and professors can run stairs or run the track (KU) or whatever.

3. Bigger-time stadiums are harder to get/see into. For one, they usually have bleachers all the way around the field and there aren't typically open end zones like at CSU or Wyoming, so that sucks. Also, they take security way more seriously at big timey places. Definitely still try. I always do.  I always walk the entire perimeter of the stadium and pull every gate or door I see. That's what I've always done and it works quite often, usually because a janitor forgot to completely close the service door or whatever.

4. During the day at least, totally disregard signs about trespassing, or about hard hats, or whatever. Stadiums where they're doing construction are totally ripe for the pickin'. The only reason I got into Alabama's stadium a few years ago is because they were doing construction on that massive end zone addition. I have learned that if you walk with a purpose and act like you belong there then you will almost never be questioned. I got into Boise State's arena because I followed a tutor for a basketball player through the academic center door. Since it was off-season, off-peak hours, it was very easy to walk through the various hallways until I found a way into the arena. Air Force's cruddy arena was open and I walked into the lockerroom area and totally helped myself to a Fresca from the athletic department fridge.

5. Always try to get into a new place.

Great guide, SB. You are a true venue sleuth.  :thumbs: :thumbs:

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 22, 2013, 12:05:51 AM »
i absolutely adore this thread.  very interesting and your analysis is a joy to read.

i'll try to get illinois state pictures in a few weeks. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]