Author Topic: ITT We Laugh At Other Pud Teams' Pud Stadiums/Arenas  (Read 438365 times)

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
Re: ITT We Laugh At Other Pud Teams' Pud Stadiums/Arenas
« Reply #125 on: July 20, 2013, 02:18:06 PM »
HEY CHECK THIS OUT:

IDAHO HAS THE CHAIRS...

AND WAZZU HAS THE TABLES!

:D :D :D

you thinkin' what I'm thinkin' skin ben?

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
ITT We Laugh At Other Pud Teams' Pud Stadiums/Arenas
« Reply #126 on: July 20, 2013, 02:27:37 PM »
:dunno:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 20, 2013, 04:16:27 PM »
So it turns out I didn't take nearly enough photos during my radio tour of the Southland Conference :dubious: I'll find what I can though.

Here's Texas State's stadium in 2009. The press box was new at the time, the old one was that tiny thing in the middle/bottom there.

Whole thing's been massively revamped since then. Track's gone (lolsquawks) and the whole north side has been bowled in. Here's what it looked like before Tech massacred us:

Jumbotrons are on the other side of the stadium near the end zone complex (none on the new north side complex :frown:)

Here's an overhead of what it looked like just before the 2012 season started. The inability to make the stands match up from the north side expansion and the old stands is pretty TXSTATE0

« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 05:13:53 PM by centraltexascat »

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 20, 2013, 04:22:53 PM »
So UTSA plays basketball in a high school gym. It's great.

MiR alert:

I was hoping their fans walked around doing the chicken dance like some sort of intimidating gator chomp/tiger bait sort of thing, but instead they just sat there going "score a touchdown!" or whatever. Was pretty disappoint.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 20, 2013, 04:27:12 PM »
Actually, I did call a college basketball game in a high school gym once. McNeese State has two basketball arenas they can use, one on campus and one in downtown Lake Charles. That said, the men were using the on campus arena and downtown was hosting an alligator rodeo or whatever it is those barbarians do over in ski-be land.

So they played the game in the Jennings High School arena :sdeek:. The McNeese radio announcer and I sat next to each other at one tiny plastic table. You could hear both broadcasts at the same time on the radio :lol:

The lighting in there would've made ski-be cough up a kidney.

3D bulldog mascot :love:
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 06:23:43 PM by centraltexascat »

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 20, 2013, 04:47:08 PM »
These aren't mine but they're an accurate enough picture of what I saw in Conway when I visited the University of Central Arkansas, home of everyone's favorite SugarBearPigRazorcats!

So they just moved up from D2 a few years ago so their arena is super tiny. Like, they make UTSA's place look big.

Here's a random ass picture of their concourse/concessions:

Exterior's pretty meh.

There's a big stuffed bear in a glass case out in the lobby but I can't find a picture of it to save my life :angry:. Lots of Scottie Pippen stuff there as he's the only notable alum out of the school (which is still pretty cool though)

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 20, 2013, 04:56:41 PM »
Here's Texas State's basketball/volleyball arena. The first thing that'll probably stick out to you about the arena is the GIANT rough ridin' WALL :don'tcare: :don'tcare: :don'tcare: :don'tcare: :don'tcare: :don'tcare: :don'tcare: :don'tcare:

They did put up a jumbotron on the wall like 5ish years ago.

Thankfully we just got a new court and they updated the lighting to make it less dungeon-esque.

Exterior's pretty :dubious:

The seat setup was a very :sdeek: clash of maroon and gold for a while. They're changing all the seats to gold this fall. I'll get pics next time I'm there.

The concourses are pretty garbage-y and they're thinking about renovating them. I'll try and get some more up close and personal pics during basketquatz season.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 05:19:44 PM by centraltexascat »

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 20, 2013, 05:32:05 PM »
McNeese has a pretty cool little stadium called "The Hole" that's dug into the ground and is honestly pretty good for 1-aa/FCS and very nice for broke-ass 1-aa Louisiana schools. They've been a power in that division for a while now since they basically get all of the 5-star LSU dropouts and arguably have just as much fan support in SW Louisiana as ULL. I got a chance to go there and watch Texas State upset them when they were #5 in FCS, but of course my dumb ass was too busy getting sideline reports to think about getting pics :facepalm:

Their facility as a whole is pretty nice, but the end zone complex was LOLbad. Like, it nearly got condemned a few years ago bad. They just completely overhauled it I think like a year or two ago (ski-be, confirm?). This is what it was supposed to look like:

One fairly LOL thing about McNeese is the random little thing of bleachers in the end zone for the band away from everyone else.

They just put in some new turf a couple of years ago which is pretty nice.

McNeese's press box is very nice although very kinda Iowa/Notre Dameish in that it's just tiny (although not bad for 1-aa) and shoots up towards the sky. They'll give you the best goddamn pork chop and gumbo you can think of up in the catered section. Couldn't find any interior pics. When I was there I got in an elevator with a bunch of donors who kept asking what the LSU score was :sdeek:.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 06:29:11 PM by centraltexascat »

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 20, 2013, 05:53:16 PM »
Nicholls State is all sorts of poor. They basically put their entire university together with a bucket, some duck tape, and a hammer. Their athletic department runs on even less. They've had multiple games cancelled because of hurricanes knocking out their light poles and flooding their field. It's right on the bayou, so everything floods at levels that Havs can only dream of. Their stadiums are all terrible, and when you go on their official athletic page and click the "athletic facilities" link, it sends you to a photo album with...no pics of their stadiums/arenas.

I mean, look at this crap.

I mean they've upgraded a little, but still.

Mismatched turf, sooooooo N-N-State0

Press box has this slanty thing going on.

They finally got new turf because the grass surface kept getting torn up and flooded. Guess who paid for this?

The Manning family. Yup, the same Manning family who runs the passing camp at Nicholls State that Johnny Racist didn't show up for. That said, the turf is still pretty lol compared to McNeese's or even Northwestern State's.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 20, 2013, 05:55:51 PM »
:excited:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 20, 2013, 06:20:45 PM »
:excited:

I'll do Southeastern Louisiana and Northwestern State 2maro

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 20, 2013, 06:41:30 PM »
Know a guy that played baseball at Nichols state.  Now that I've seen the campus, I bet he fit in really well.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 20, 2013, 06:47:45 PM »

You know what the sign of a small, pud school is?  Greek letters in the end zone for homecoming.  Nothing against greeks, but only small, pud colleges put their stuff in the end zone for homecoming like HSs do with class floats. 
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 20, 2013, 08:04:43 PM »
That's a good call. Southern does that crap for sure, also like Delta State. La-La is JUST sorta phasing it out, I think.

So you guys don't like my WSU pix? :sadpeek: :validation:

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 20, 2013, 09:55:16 PM »
TULSA GOLDEN HURRICATS.

I was drove by TU tonight and took some pictures with phone.  Tulsa's stadium holds around 30,000.  Being the smallest D-1 school makes them short on alums, but they aren't short on money.  It's probably the nicest 30k stadium around.  Notice all the nice, foot traffic nightmare making, landscaping.   

Here's what you see when you walk up to the stadium:

Here is the back side of their press box and concourse area.  There used to be an upper deck here that made the stadium seat 40k, but they only came close to filling it once a year for the Union/Jenks HS game.  They built it ~5 years ago and I guess its super nice on the inside.  There is a green area to the right of this where they always have 4-5 bouncy castles and big blow up slides for kids to play on.  During games there are about 6 concession trailers from restaurants that sell BBQ, Mexican, Funnel Cakes, ect.

Here is another shot off concourse from the other side.  Those are student apartments on the right.  About every other
[1st floor apartment space isn't an apartment, but concession stands, fan shops, ect.

They left a gate open, so I was able to get onto the field.  Here is a shot of the the home side and the pressbox.

Here is a shot of their south end zone video board.  They sell a lot of family packs to this area and all the seating is non-assigned.  Just to the right of this is the playground area.  Being the smallest D-1 school with a small alumni base and expensive tuition, they have to do all they can to get local families to come out.  Notice all the crape myrtles on either side.

Next is a shot of their field and east side.  Notice the seats in the middle section look different.  They have some chair-back seating on the other side as well. 

Finally, here is the north end zone and football offices facility.  This picture is taken from the front of the student section on the west side.  Sorry about the sun behind it.  I took another from the other side to replace this picture, but it didn't come out right.

Offline BobBarker

• Don't forget to spay and neuter your pets!
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 20, 2013, 10:26:45 PM »

Guys, We have to admit this is very Elite-y.

We all know LHCBS will have someone off-ed if they even see a practice on accident. The NDSU coach must be a real stud (could be a gimmick tho).
We can't even watch a practice that happens outside. Their stud coach must let everyone watch practice.
We don't even have team benches in our practice facility. It looks like they have more seats in their practice facility than they probably have in their stadium (NOT CONFIRMED, but lots of seats in that practice facility).

Is this a thing that the poors do in order to make more money? Is it free to get in? Do they sell beer?

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 20, 2013, 10:44:25 PM »
TULSA GOLDEN HURRICATS.

I was drove by TU tonight and took some pictures with phone.  Tulsa's stadium holds around 30,000.  Being the smallest D-1 school makes them short on alums, but they aren't short on money.  It's probably the nicest 30k stadium around.  Notice all the nice, foot traffic nightmare making, landscaping.   

Here's what you see when you walk up to the stadium:

Here is the back side of their press box and concourse area.  There used to be an upper deck here that made the stadium seat 40k, but they only came close to filling it once a year for the Union/Jenks HS game.  They built it ~5 years ago and I guess its super nice on the inside.  There is a green area to the right of this where they always have 4-5 bouncy castles and big blow up slides for kids to play on.  During games there are about 6 concession trailers from restaurants that sell BBQ, Mexican, Funnel Cakes, ect.

Here is another shot off concourse from the other side.  Those are student apartments on the right.  About every other
[1st floor apartment space isn't an apartment, but concession stands, fan shops, ect.

They left a gate open, so I was able to get onto the field.  Here is a shot of the the home side and the pressbox.

Here is a shot of their south end zone video board.  They sell a lot of family packs to this area and all the seating is non-assigned.  Just to the right of this is the playground area.  Being the smallest D-1 school with a small alumni base and expensive tuition, they have to do all they can to get local families to come out.  Notice all the crape myrtles on either side.

Next is a shot of their field and east side.  Notice the seats in the middle section look different.  They have some chair-back seating on the other side as well. 

Finally, here is the north end zone and football offices facility.  This picture is taken from the front of the student section on the west side.  Sorry about the sun behind it.  I took another from the other side to replace this picture, but it didn't come out right.

The trees look great.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 20, 2013, 11:23:11 PM »
Look at TheHamburgalar doing The Lord's WORK!!!!  :drool:

Offline TBL

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 21, 2013, 12:05:56 AM »
Fat Tim Riggins

Actually, pretty stud RB. 5'11" / 213 lbs.

Sports a pretty cheesy 'stache, though

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 21, 2013, 12:40:50 AM »
UTSA has to have the biggest size difference between their FB and BB facilities in all of colleges sports.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 21, 2013, 01:43:10 AM »
UTSA has to have the biggest size difference between their FB and BB facilities in all of colleges sports.

Oooh. That could be a fantastic trivia question actually. You might be right. But it's not exactly like they built the Alamo Dome specifically for their school.
 Any other contenders for this weird prize?

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 21, 2013, 01:45:04 AM »
Fat Tim Riggins

TBL. How do you know so much about this guy? Do you live in Bozeman and did we randomly meet about a month ago?

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 21, 2013, 01:49:34 AM »
hamburglar is good at this thread :thumbs:

Offline timhawk

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 21, 2013, 06:49:19 AM »
Fat Tim Riggins

TBL. How do you know so much about this guy? Do you live in Bozeman and did we randomly meet about a month ago?

looks like 3 more national titles than Kstate has....
everyone is jealous

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 21, 2013, 07:54:52 AM »
TULSA GOLDEN HURRICATS.

Just look at that beautiful limestone wall.    :love: :love:  :love:  :love: :love:

I can't wait for someday when we have one just like Tulsa.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008