Author Topic: ITT We Laugh At Other Pud Teams' Pud Stadiums/Arenas  (Read 450960 times)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Re: ITT We Laugh At Other Pud Teams' Pud Stadiums/Arenas
« Reply #2575 on: October 23, 2022, 12:43:13 PM »
Cool pics, although you look like you're about to fall to your death in some of them  :sdeek:

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: October 23, 2022, 03:29:19 PM »
For a small stadium, they have a lot of nosebleed seats.   :D
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: October 23, 2022, 03:42:38 PM »
Upper level no real lighting, but it had the ambience of a fine restaurant after the sun went down.  2 small men's bathrooms so that line backed up quickly and intertwined with the concession line.

They're lower bowl has fewer seats than BSFS just eye balling it.  Only thing I can figure as they seem to have way more concrete and iron than we do for the same seating capacity of 50k.

A true commuter school experience... remote park and bus into the stadium was a first for us.

Attendant couldn't get our tickets to scan so just let us in after 4-5 attempts.

Donor parking had permanent seating, tables, canopies for tailgates which was cool.

Oklahoma State fan warned us too late. TV breaks are horrible if you're upper deck on score board end.  They insist on blaring music for the entire break.  Couldn't hear yourself think much less talk with anyone.

Tom is old AF sidebar:  It must be against their religion for the band to play during TV breaks so let's just blast whatever tf it is these kids listen to now.

Highlights, stats, other scores were limited, but a big dose of "hypnofrog" on big defensive downs.

TCU fans are cool.  Probably secure in the fact they make 10x what most of their opponents fans make annually.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: October 23, 2022, 04:46:49 PM »
Iowa State does the same damn thing with the music and it's annoying as hell. I'm not old and the music they blare definitely isn't what kids listen to these days.

Offline Purple Derpathy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: October 23, 2022, 06:50:58 PM »
I was up there in the corner as well and will second the annoying ass music getting thrown in my ear hole.

What's hilarious is how many empty seats there were given the fact it was a prime time black out game and they were undefeated. Student section is in prime position to make some noise but I'm not sure how effective they are as a group.

Other odd thing was the ramp to get to the upper deck is the most gradual incline I have ever seen. Must have walked half a mile to get 80 feet in elevation.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2580 on: October 23, 2022, 08:41:55 PM »
Steep ramps cause olds to fall.  See Trump and Biden for proof.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: October 24, 2022, 09:56:15 PM »
TCU has a pretty nice stade iyam.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: October 27, 2022, 01:30:52 PM »
I think it looks stupid.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: October 27, 2022, 03:10:56 PM »
It's a fine enough stadium, went there in 2014, sat more in the middle but same height as Tom. The scary height thing definitely is true, especially when you walk to the other side, it has a pretty steep drop off the west side (it's a legit 40 ft lower than the east side, it's like built into the side of a hill).

Else it's fairly nice, reminds me a lot of Camden yards in terms of time it was made and the style of the architecture (obv Camden is better as a stadium, but it has a very similar vibe)
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: December 11, 2022, 07:34:12 PM »
This is your annual reminder that Arkansas’ old basketball home, Barnhill Arena, is an extremely weird and unintentionally hilarious design.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: December 11, 2022, 10:44:35 PM »
Anyone else on here helping me do the SuperDome on NYE?

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: January 09, 2023, 04:35:01 PM »
Not diggin the big Baptist or Methodist Church look on the outside, but the inside would be pretty nice

https://twitter.com/BamaHoopsSZN/status/1612472040199520256?s=20&t=iaha3QUSuAC6IHtnOPkP1w

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: January 09, 2023, 04:48:21 PM »

Online wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: January 09, 2023, 06:35:32 PM »
Not diggin the big Baptist or Methodist Church look on the outside, but the inside would be pretty nice

https://twitter.com/BamaHoopsSZN/status/1612472040199520256?s=20&t=iaha3QUSuAC6IHtnOPkP1w
Yeah, the interior is incredible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Offline LesterFreamon

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: January 09, 2023, 08:55:30 PM »
In this thread we will see the facilities offered by other teams and how none of them are as blessed as us. If you are a field reporter doing The Lord's work visiting random college football stadiums or basketball arenas, take pictures and put them in this thread so we can all go on a LOL rampage. (Or post pictures of the very few blessed schools who also have good The Settings.) 

AIR FORCE FALCONCATZ.

Admittedly their setting is pretty elite. You do have to deal with jabroni Air Force guards at the front gate stopping you and being all, "State your business." And you have to tell them you're going to take pictures of their stadium and their bad basketball arena.

Their East side reeeeeally needs some limestone. And they really need to get those trees out of there if they truly care about the well-being of our armed forces. :sdeek:

Taken from the top of their student section side. Underneath my feet are metal bleachers much like we had at The Wag throughout the 90s. T's & P's.

Weird roundy end zone fun zone.

I wish the stadium were symmetrical but it isn't. :frown:

...because it looks super I-AA'y from the press box side. (apologies 2 lakebison)

Cool view to see the unique curvature of their stadium. Terrible view to see the jumbotron (or any scoreboard, I think), which is off to the right, pushed way up, and facing the other way. At least from this seat you're really close to the huge speakers that project terrifying end-of-the-world drill announcements to the entire Air Force Academy, though.

They reeeeeeally need some lessons in how to make their p. box look more like a city hall.  :cry:

Here is their huupz arena. The Falqatz are not blessed at all facilities-wise. It's this gym. And what you can't see behind me is that the concourse attaches to a college hockey arena on the other side. Very weird. And this gym has practice baskets that lower from the ceiling, which we all know is obviously a sign of your program being a poor (sister school Duke notwithstanding).

Just seeing this thread for the first time.  I went to a graduation at the Air Force Academy, and the commissioning for my buddy was the night before at the arena.  The funniest part was going out of the exits of the floor seats to go to the bathroom, just like any other normal place, and then running into the hockey part.  The hockey team is just having practice in their part of the arena literally right on the other side of a wall from the basketball court.  All under one roof.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: January 09, 2023, 09:31:34 PM »
With volleyball getting their own arena, I would assume we’re 100% committed to basketball being in Bramlage and a renovation happening there at some point.

So I have to be that cheese dick that says it, but there has got to be a way to build a field house type roof on Bramlage during a significant renovation, right? Basically a full rebuild on site.

Look, I know it’ll probably never happen, but seeing those renderings and what Baylor is building has me Jonesin

Offline LesterFreamon

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: January 09, 2023, 09:40:34 PM »
With volleyball getting their own arena, I would assume we’re 100% committed to basketball being in Bramlage and a renovation happening there at some point.

So I have to be that cheese dick that says it, but there has got to be a way to build a field house type roof on Bramlage during a significant renovation, right? Basically a full rebuild on site.

Look, I know it’ll probably never happen, but seeing those renderings and what Baylor is building has me Jonesin

Ferrell and Moody were both straight garbage.  Bramlage is too new and un-garbage.  Maybe not gorgeous, but def not old and garbage.

Offline LesterFreamon

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: January 09, 2023, 10:13:40 PM »
Guess what stud poster is writing this post from inside the Jill H. and Avram A. Glazer Family Club Level in Tulane's new Yulman Stadium?   :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:

Prophetic for 2024  :horrorsurprise:

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: January 09, 2023, 10:47:45 PM »
 :Woot:

Ferrell and Moody were both straight garbage.  Bramlage is too new and un-garbage.  Maybe not gorgeous, but def not old and garbage.

Moody? Assuming you meant Erwin was garbage.

Ferrell is the exact same age as Bramlage and they’re building a new arena…..

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: January 09, 2023, 11:06:13 PM »

No. Why? Manhattan and Lawrence Kansas might be the only places in America still fascinated by field houses. Outside of the pissbarn, none of America's most heralded arenas aren't fieldhouses and many of them are unremarkable on the outside. I hope the only money we spend on the exterior of the building are on ada compliance and maybe some work on the west entrance.

I don't mind the interior, I think the court side seats and loge box additions are awesome. Scrap the benches for all seats and call it good. This reminds me that I need to upload my pics of the McHale Center.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #2595 on: January 10, 2023, 05:58:51 AM »
Would love to see an acoustician’s report on what makes arenas loudest. Pitched roof? Certain materials on the roof? Angle of bleacher incline? Some benches vs. all chairs? Position of students to the sideline?

I do think all chairs leads to fan comfort, which leads to fan complacency. At least that’s my theory.

A major priority of a Bramlage reno has to be bringing the baseline bleachers closer to the court. That gulf is so big that we may as well have a track around it. It’s embarrassing.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: January 10, 2023, 07:48:12 AM »
This is the McHale Center, home of Arizona basketball. Technically it's home of Arizona everything but football. The concourse at this arena doesn't have concession stands, but the offices for all their sports that are not football. You seriously enter the arena this way, it's weird, I felt like I do when I enter an arena when it isn't open, like I'm trespassing and hoping I'm asked to leave and not get arrested. This was during a game between two top 25 teams.
This was right inside my gate and the walk to my seat.

This was half of the exactly half of the arena. The other half were offices for other sports primarily those who use the McHale Center, volleyball, gymnastics, swimming and diving. Those sports don't have even close to the amount of space that men's and women's basketball has. Their program has an absurd amount of great, recent history, only one title is kind of a fail.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: January 10, 2023, 08:03:21 AM »
It's really really really nice inside the seating area. As mentioned before, all bucket seats. To make up for no concessions on the concourse, they have three concession stand areas inside the bowl. Cool concept but they aren't very big and for big games I imagine these can kinda suck. Not pictured Wayne Simien who was in attendance and walking right next to me when I snapped some of these photos.

Completely empty student section for a women's game. That hall of champions thing was closed, but I'm not sure what would be in it that they didn't have on the concourse displays. Pac 12 trophies, I suppose.

All of the seats, even the ones in the student section were this nice.

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: January 10, 2023, 08:22:02 AM »
bram needs to chairback everything but the student section

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: January 10, 2023, 08:26:33 AM »
Would love to see an acoustician’s report on what makes arenas loudest. Pitched roof? Certain materials on the roof? Angle of bleacher incline? Some benches vs. all chairs? Position of students to the sideline?

I do think all chairs leads to fan comfort, which leads to fan complacency. At least that’s my theory.

A major priority of a Bramlage reno has to be bringing the baseline bleachers closer to the court. That gulf is so big that we may as well have a track around it. It’s embarrassing.

its been a minute since i last dealt with acoustics but generally speaking when you want to attenuate sound you use soft surfaces. So i would imagine it makes sense that if you want it loud you want hard surfaces that the sound will just bounce around. Not especially helpful since you don't go to many arenas where they put the eggcrate foam stuff on the walls (like your canadian friend probably has in his recording studio).

In terms of shape...i mean, the ancient romans figured out how to design amphitheaters where the person standing in the middle could project their voices out in every direction. I have to believe you could do the inverse of that right? like design the place so that no matter where you are in the arena that sound bounces around until its funneled to the court or, even better, visitor bench.