Author Topic: Kansas City things  (Read 1007699 times)

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Kansas City things
« Reply #13000 on: January 21, 2022, 02:58:30 PM »
my house is 122 years old  :gocho:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13001 on: January 21, 2022, 03:00:16 PM »
Or if you have the scratch, buy one of those awesome old (kinda run down) mansions over in hyde park.  So many crazy huge old homes in that area.  E.g.:

kinda run down?
Any 114 year old 5600 sq ft house selling for 600k is going to have some issues.  Most of those old beauties need some TLC.

i guess we have different definitions of run down

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13002 on: January 21, 2022, 03:00:38 PM »
hey guys.... ghosts aren't real.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13003 on: January 21, 2022, 03:01:26 PM »
My home was originally built in 1781.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13004 on: January 21, 2022, 03:03:34 PM »
I'll have to check with the wife for her opinion on ghosts.  I ain't afraid of no ghosts.

Buying a place - Not opposed to the burbs but ideally would be close enough to uber to concert venues somewhat regularly.  Would like a yard.  I've looked at some of those downtown condos but really would like outdoor space.  Also, I hate the idea of an HOA in the hundreds of dollars a month.

To Trim's point why are you moving? Is it to have more nightlife options? Be closer to certain people? Just do something new?

I'd personally take DQ's recommendation and look at all the neighborhoods north of brookside to downtown as well. But if you want something newer can an uber from downtown to Overland Park be that expensive???

We're moving, in part, to be closer to my wife's family in MO and KC is about as far east as I would go for that.  Concerts/shows are a definite plus and we have friends there that can help us keep a social life while working from home, which is a concern of mine.  I'm not all that concerned about living super close to our friends, who are mostly burbs people, but would like to be close enough to get together on the occasional weeknight.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13005 on: January 21, 2022, 03:09:08 PM »
Buying a place - Not opposed to the burbs but ideally would be close enough to uber to concert venues somewhat regularly.  Would like a yard.  I've looked at some of those downtown condos but really would like outdoor space.  Also, I hate the idea of an HOA in the hundreds of dollars a month.

To Trim's point why are you moving? Is it to have more nightlife options? Be closer to certain people? Just do something new?

I'd personally take DQ's recommendation and look at all the neighborhoods north of brookside to downtown as well. But if you want something newer can an uber from downtown to Overland Park be that expensive???
He hates me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13006 on: January 21, 2022, 03:09:35 PM »
buy a midtown/volker house that has been at least somewhat renovated

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13007 on: January 21, 2022, 03:15:41 PM »
I'll have to check with the wife for her opinion on ghosts.  I ain't afraid of no ghosts.

We're moving, in part, to be closer to my wife's family in MO and KC is about as far east as I would go for that.  Concerts/shows are a definite plus and we have friends there that can help us keep a social life while working from home, which is a concern of mine.  I'm not all that concerned about living super close to our friends, who are mostly burbs people, but would like to be close enough to get together on the occasional weeknight.

Chicago.

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #13008 on: January 21, 2022, 03:46:48 PM »
My wife and I may be moving to KC in the summer - I need pro-tips on places to avoid/ideal locations.  We both work remote and have no kids so commutes/schools don't have much impact on us.  Help me out KC experts!!
Do you plan on ever having kids?  Might want to factor in the school district if it’s even a possibility

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #13009 on: January 21, 2022, 03:49:26 PM »
A good area that is less expensive, with good schools, that is underrated is the Nall Hills area between Metcalf and Mission in North Overland Park…like south of 95th all the way south to 107th.  Most of that is Shawnee Mission South…cheaper than Shawnee Mission East district, and still great schools. Older homes, big yards. Etc.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13010 on: January 21, 2022, 04:06:21 PM »
Why are you moving to KC if you both work remotely?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #13011 on: January 21, 2022, 04:09:07 PM »
He said friends and family

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13012 on: January 21, 2022, 04:10:53 PM »

because it kicks ass

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #13013 on: January 21, 2022, 05:40:27 PM »

Assuming you are not planning on having any kids I would go with Dlew's suggestion of Brookside/Waldo. Waldo is cheaper than Brookside but IMO brookside is better...Or just split it down the middle and get something between ward parkway and state line between 63rd and 71st. I'm a big fan of those old houses.

If kids are in the picture at some point you should probably look for some McMansions in JOCO, I heard 151st is the new 135th!

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13014 on: January 21, 2022, 05:42:32 PM »
He said friends and family

I should have read about 30 posts before mine lol, Mich served it up and then mocat hit a 500 footer out of the park.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #13015 on: January 22, 2022, 09:46:09 PM »
free streetcar will stretch to about 50th street if you are looking for a place with good transit and not having to drive I would stick in there.

lmao

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #13016 on: January 23, 2022, 08:43:56 AM »
free streetcar will stretch to about 50th street if you are looking for a place with good transit and not having to drive I would stick in there.

lmao
I know, right?

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13017 on: January 23, 2022, 10:06:34 AM »
Guys, it's gameday, let's not be mean to our IRL friends.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13018 on: January 24, 2022, 11:57:40 AM »
get on the bleeding edge and snag one on Indy Ave.  Hyde Park is pretty snatched up by now.
Yep -- I was looking at some of those up there recently too.  Really cool.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/414-Gladstone-Blvd-Kansas-City-MO-64124/2286391_zpid/

Very stately.

My house isn't a big old mansion like some of those, but it definitely is old.  I think it's 100th birthday is in the next year or two.

My Wife's cousin lives in a house EXACTLY like that in Hyde park.  Sold 17 houses in that area last year!

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13019 on: January 24, 2022, 12:33:57 PM »
Best kind of neighborhoods imo. College Hill in ICT is full of similar, and I love it to death (dont live there). Houses for mostly all price ranges too.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13020 on: February 17, 2022, 07:32:18 AM »

Offline passranch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13021 on: February 17, 2022, 03:12:25 PM »
https://twitter.com/axios/status/1494303513853280264

That's right, baby!  :party:

All the REALLY cool cities are in the right column.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13022 on: February 17, 2022, 03:16:05 PM »
The bitchiest drivers are in the cities on the right.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13023 on: February 17, 2022, 03:31:05 PM »
The bitchiest drivers are in the cities on the right.

The worst traffic cities are on the right.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13024 on: February 17, 2022, 03:36:46 PM »
I feel like there are fewer immigrant drivers in the cities on the left