Author Topic: Kansas City things  (Read 1007223 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Re: Kansas City things
« Reply #12975 on: December 23, 2021, 10:49:47 AM »
KC can get better in the ways Phil would like it to and not get all the way but still be great and still worth trying

I'll do you one better, KC is ALREADY GREAT in it's own way.

and I agree with this.

If my household income was about $100K more than it currently is, there are a number of places that I'd rather live than KC.  However, that is not going to happen, so I accept that I live in one of the best places in the US for me and preferences in life, given my current household income.  THAT is a pretty darn good situation to be in, if you ask me!  go cats

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12976 on: December 23, 2021, 11:13:09 AM »
The good thing is we have the space and the "bones" to add back in an urban living environment that we once had and it doesn't disrupt what others already like about the city

As was mentioned earlier about bike lanes.  We have so many roads overbuilt we could put bike lanes everywhere and traffic wouldn't be impacted at all.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12977 on: December 23, 2021, 11:18:31 AM »
So next time you are in KC anywhere in the city, look for these poles.  They are still remaining from the old streetcar network.  It's crazy how widespread it was

https://goo.gl/maps/xDJ3YPU1fSfpQuuY7

Offline passranch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #12978 on: December 23, 2021, 11:41:02 AM »
KC is tall, not wide is what i think you meant to say?

no, there is no concentration of anything in kc. there is no vertical city. everything is spread out. wide. not tall.

These two cities have roughly the same Metro population:

People work in those tall buildings, they don't live in them.

I live in one of them.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12979 on: January 21, 2022, 11:31:47 AM »
My wife and I may be moving to KC in the summer - I need pro-tips on places to avoid/ideal locations.  We both work remote and have no kids so commutes/schools don't have much impact on us.  Help me out KC experts!!

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12980 on: January 21, 2022, 12:01:20 PM »
if i had that arrangement i would live in a loft or one of the many newly built/renovated condos downtown. i recently visited a friend in Two Light and that place is bonkers. the amenities are really something.
i'm sure even a place in kc with "crazy" high rent would be less than what you're used to. welcome to kc!

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12981 on: January 21, 2022, 12:08:20 PM »
buy or rent?

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12982 on: January 21, 2022, 12:10:16 PM »
My wife and I may be moving to KC in the summer - I need pro-tips on places to avoid/ideal locations.  We both work remote and have no kids so commutes/schools don't have much impact on us.  Help me out KC experts!!

What would have you moving to kc or kc adjace then?  Whatever that is would probably dictate your specific location.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12983 on: January 21, 2022, 12:20:44 PM »

What do you like to do?  Need a yard?  Be my neighbor!

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #12984 on: January 21, 2022, 12:43:07 PM »
Brookside/Waldo imo.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12985 on: January 21, 2022, 12:58:59 PM »
Buying a place - Not opposed to the burbs but ideally would be close enough to uber to concert venues somewhat regularly.  Would like a yard.  I've looked at some of those downtown condos but really would like outdoor space.  Also, I hate the idea of an HOA in the hundreds of dollars a month.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #12986 on: January 21, 2022, 01:01:01 PM »
Or if you have the scratch, buy one of those awesome old (kinda run down) mansions over in hyde park.  So many crazy huge old homes in that area.  E.g.:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3526-Walnut-St-Kansas-City-MO-64111/122174080_zpid/ 

That beast sold for 600 in 2020.

Ghosts 100% live here:

\

That is my dream

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12987 on: January 21, 2022, 01:04:56 PM »
Buying a place - Not opposed to the burbs but ideally would be close enough to uber to concert venues somewhat regularly.  Would like a yard.  I've looked at some of those downtown condos but really would like outdoor space.  Also, I hate the idea of an HOA in the hundreds of dollars a month.

To Trim's point why are you moving? Is it to have more nightlife options? Be closer to certain people? Just do something new?

I'd personally take DQ's recommendation and look at all the neighborhoods north of brookside to downtown as well. But if you want something newer can an uber from downtown to Overland Park be that expensive???

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12988 on: January 21, 2022, 01:05:44 PM »

checkout westside downtown neighborhood.  Post some places you have found and we'll give you the up down thumbs

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #12989 on: January 21, 2022, 01:07:29 PM »
see my prior post.  fairly reasonably price.  good walkability.  close proximity to plaza.  downtown isn't terribly far. 

schools are crap on the mo side but young studs like us don't really have to worry about that.

a lot (all) of it will depend on your budget and what you're looking for of course, but as someone in their early 30s who is expecting to move again sometime in the next 8-10 years, i think the area makes a lot of sense.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 01:12:10 PM by DQ12 »

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12990 on: January 21, 2022, 01:16:47 PM »
free streetcar will stretch to about 50th street if you are looking for a place with good transit and not having to drive I would stick in there.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12991 on: January 21, 2022, 01:18:49 PM »
Or if you have the scratch, buy one of those awesome old (kinda run down) mansions over in hyde park.  So many crazy huge old homes in that area.  E.g.:

kinda run down?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #12992 on: January 21, 2022, 01:27:15 PM »
If you hate crime, live on the Kansas side.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #12993 on: January 21, 2022, 01:32:08 PM »
If you hate crime, live on the Kansas side.

:whistle1:

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #12994 on: January 21, 2022, 01:32:18 PM »

kinda run down?
Any 114 year old 5600 sq ft house selling for 600k is going to have some issues.  Most of those old beauties need some TLC.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12995 on: January 21, 2022, 01:38:10 PM »
get on the bleeding edge and snag one on Indy Ave.  Hyde Park is pretty snatched up by now.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #12996 on: January 21, 2022, 01:41:50 PM »
get on the bleeding edge and snag one on Indy Ave.  Hyde Park is pretty snatched up by now.
Yep -- I was looking at some of those up there recently too.  Really cool.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/414-Gladstone-Blvd-Kansas-City-MO-64124/2286391_zpid/

Very stately.

My house isn't a big old mansion like some of those, but it definitely is old.  I think it's 100th birthday is in the next year or two.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 01:45:09 PM by DQ12 »

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #12997 on: January 21, 2022, 01:54:50 PM »
That place is definitely haunted

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12998 on: January 21, 2022, 02:01:54 PM »
for sure.  no way I'd live in those places.  :ohno:

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12999 on: January 21, 2022, 02:02:43 PM »
My house isn't a big old mansion like some of those, but it definitely is old.  I think it's 100th birthday is in the next year or two.

My old girl turns 102 this year.  :blush: